Any Il-2 1946 vets from decade ago?

I've jumped into Great Battles just recently, but years ago (might be even a decade...) i played a lot Il-2 1946 mainly on WarClouds server. I was a member of 79Vraf. Any of you guys frequented it as well? I wonder if i'll meet some old friends...

(edit: spelling corrections)

Edited by Niah
spelling
CUJO_1970

There are several of us old hares still around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Gambit21

Try 20 years ago.

10 years ago I’d moved on.

• Upvote 2
Denum
3 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Try 20 years ago.

10 years ago I’d moved on.

Why you gotta do us like that 🤣

• Haha 2
ShamrockOneFive
2 hours ago, Niah said:

I've jumped into Great Battles just recently, but years ago (might be even a decade...) i played a lot Il-2 1946 mainly on WarClouds server. I was a member of 79Vraf. Any of you guys frequented it as well? I wonder if i'll meet some old friends...

(edit: spelling corrections)

Yep! Once upon a time I was NS-Ice on the Battlefields UK servers with occasional forays on War Clouds. Good times!

• Like 1
Gambit21

I’d go on Warclouds sometimes when CoOps were slow and I was desperate, only now and again. Usually in that situation I’d go to Zeke vs Wildcat until my peeps showed up.

My favorite Warclouds thing was to take a 190 up to 15k, fly around for 45 minutes or until I spotted a fur ball on the deck and see a bright blue underbelly flash. Then I’d dive at 900kph, blow right through the middle, and take out a Yak that some poor guy was desperately trying to bag or escape from...then ‘POOF!!” I was gone just like Batman lol

Good times - but mostly good times hosting and flying CoOps.

• Upvote 1
Blitzen

Oh yes ...still have the box & original cd's...dvds? Bought it the first day I could ...my PC has been trying to play catch up ever since!

9616-il-2-sturmovik-windows-front-cover.jpg

FlyingShark
1 hour ago, Denum said:

Skies of Valor but yup 

Those where the days.

I used to play there too, same nickname.

Remembering T4trouble, FoxBat, Ilinini, illeagalbeagle, rubberchicken, being bounced by Hartman in his FW190, and so many others that I can't immediately recall.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

kestrel79

I got a Dell Desktop in college in 2003 and was finally able to play IL2. Think I picked up Forgotten Battles with the Aces Expansion Pack in a mall game shop and played that for hours and hours each night. Pacific Fighters came a little after that, along with a bunch of other add ons that all later got rolled in '46 version.

I played on Warclouds, Spits vs. 109s, Zeke vs Wildcat. The latter two were my fav no icons. I used to fly in a Squadron called Vultures Row back then too.

• Like 1
senseispcc

One more that did buy the first IL2 game in 2001...And I salute all others that play this game. :salute:

• Like 2
BlitzPig_EL

Since 2001 here as well.

Three or four of the BlitzPigs are flying here now.

• Like 3
Fisheye

Played as fishey or Fischauge - loved my red painted A6M5-Zero and the KI-Fighters

• Like 1
[DBS]Fusek
2 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Yep! Once upon a time I was NS-Ice on the Battlefields UK servers with occasional forays on War Clouds. Good times!

Same here! My main home was the UKDedicated2 server for years. I've only jumped to IL2GB last year.

Edited by [DBS]Fusek
  • Like 1
dburne

Yep I am a veteran the original IL-2. Never got much into multiplayer though, all single player.

Sandy_M

It’s crazy that you ask this. I would never consider myself a “vet” of this game, but I played 1946 over 10 years ago. Long hiatus, and now I’m back. And loving it!

Nice to see you all, i think might vaguely remember seeing some of your nicknames in the olden days. Though i do admit i was hoping to stumble on some old acquitances and opponents :) Especially those who i talked to on war cluds teamspeak:)

JG_deserteagle540

Yes, here another veteran of the original Il-2. In general single player only.

Still got the 1946 cover............

IL2 1946.JPG

• Upvote 1
Redwo1f

Still got it, still play it. Had the entire series since original release back in the day. Have a fully modded BAT install of '46 now. Single player only for me.

Fafnir_6

I'm Fafnir_6 now, I was Fafnir_6 back in 2001.  I played all the expansions and subsequent Daidalos Team patches.  I still play HSFX with my son from time to time (I've got stock, HSFX and DBW IL-2 installs currently on my computer).

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

I./JG52_Woutwocampe

Indeed, I got the first iteration of IL2 back in the days I think 2001. When all campaigns were static. Then forgotten battles, pacific fighters and 1946.

Prior to that it was Janes WW2 fighters and European air war. Even before that red baron 1 and 2.

5 minutes ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

Indeed, I got the first iteration of IL2 back in the days I think 2001. When all campaigns were static. Then forgotten battles, pacific fighters and 1946.

Prior to that it was Janes WW2 fighters and European air war. Even before that red baron 1 and 2.

Ahh, red baron 1. Or Chuck yeagers air combat. 

• Upvote 1
Bremspropeller
30 minutes ago, ACG_Mephisto said:

Virtual Online War 2002-2003...

My favourite part of VOW was the one time I killed half the german team on take-off.

I had a funny-acting throttle and couldn't disarm my bomb.

I always made friends easily...

• Haha 3
Redwo1f
20 minutes ago, Niah said:

Ahh, red baron 1. Or Chuck yeagers air combat. 

Anyone remember Ace of Aces with the Mosquito? (circa '86) - had it, played it -- but ya for me it was Red Baron 1 ('90) and Their Finest Hour ('89) when things actually started to get good.🙂 Followed by Yeager and of course, how can you forget, Aces of the Pacific. 👍

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
15[Span.]/JG51Costa
22 minutes ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

Same here.

Good old times in Hiperlobby and Roger Wilko comms. 

And a “nice Kill” or “S” after a fight.

Saludos 

15(Span.)/JG51 Costa 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Gambit21
3 minutes ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Costa said:

And a “nice Kill” or “S” after a fight.

Usually.

There was always the occasional tool that just felt the need to complain or make an excuse about why you were able to kill him.

Nothing much has changed I'm sure. 

I./JG52_Woutwocampe

First time I played Reb Baron 2, I got ganked by Boelcke and Immelmann haha. My mate told me, careful dude, there's a green Eindecker around I think. I had no clue what it meant back then. Then I was dead. 

Despite being buggy, RB2 was the game that really got me interested in air wars.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Redwo1f

Damn, sorry to pull this off topic (but gawd it is nice to reminisce) - as you mention RB2, just look at that '97-'98 period - probably the greatest period in combat flight sim history overall with such monumental titles:

Red Barron 2 (and 3D)

Falcon 4.0 (thrown in Jane's F-15 for good measure)

European Air War

Enemy Engaged: Apache vs Havoc (+ Janes Longbow 2)

- Microsoft got it series start with Combat Flight Simulator...and throw in a bundle of other titles released over those two years as well...

Clearly the best period ever in combat flight sim history - truly a gem. 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
BP_Lizard

BlitzPig_Lizard (née Defterlizard) of the BlitzPigs. Flying since 2001.

Edited by BP_Lizard
Algy-Lacey

I first played IL-2 Sturmovik (2001) in 2003 on a friends computer. Blew me away. Didn't get into IL-2 online until perhaps 2005. I had various names over the years, one I remember was Sparrowhawk.

My first taste of flying computer gaming was a program for the Acorn Archimedes called 'Chocks Away' back in the mid 90's. Again on a friends computer. Then I played Rowan's Flying Corps Gold. Both WW1 Games. Then it was MS Combat Flight Simulator and CFS2.

palker4

Skies of Valor and UK dedicated player here. I really miss the SoV style semi-historic missions with the incredibly varied planesets from 1939 to 1945, it was great fun.

=VARP=Ribbon
4 hours ago, dburne said:

Yep I am a veteran the original IL-2. Never got much into multiplayer though, all single player.

Me too, no flight gear just m&k and in SP!

Was in high school back then, Operation Flashpoint and il2 being my main occupation beside girls.

Was picking fighters by the look, loved and hated(cos of FM) mig3.

Was fascinated and obsessed by endless TO and landings in big birds (bombers), when in fighter starting shooting at enemy from 1km distance (unlimited ammo😂).

Later on i fell in love with PTO!

Trooper117

20 years ago too, bought everything Oleg put out!

I was Trooper117 with EAF then.

IL2. Hyperlobby, great online squadron, large online wars... great times!

1628101246_IMG_02641.thumb.jpg.44a89fdc1549023e8ab1cfc0ace6a07f.jpg

Edited by Trooper117
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Stoopy

Zekes vs. Hellcats was my server of choice.  Came here waiting for another chance to get back to the Pacific, which doesn't seem to be in the cards - but meanwhile, this platform isn't too bad.  No sir, not too bad at all...

chuter

I used Hyperlobby for Jane's WW2 (with the Bambi mod) and then IL2 when it came out, it was a big step up.