Developer Diary 275 - Discussion

Han

• 1CGS
1 minute ago, Han said:
Dear Friends,

As some of you who frequent our forums already know, Jason has recently announced that we're developing a new tech called DVD and invited you to guess what that actually means. There were different guesses and some of them were near misses. The answer is, DVD means Dynamic Visual Damage. In a nutshell, it places an impact mark where a projectile hit.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9
  • Upvote 6

• Han pinned this topic
SirFlappy

I have always enjoyed looking back at replays of my sorties,this should make it more interesting...I look forward to it.

I just hope it does not cause any slow downs or stutters in play.

• Upvote 1

[RBRI]Khaela

Holy fething god. That's a nice addition!
Can't wait to see my stuka getting totally peppered.

• Upvote 1

=VARP=Tvrdi

Looks great but I wonder what would be the fps hit. Ppl with medium rigs could suffer in MP...alot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

[APAF]VR_Spartan85

Just when you thought it couldn’t get better....

awesome!

namhee2

One question: is it possible to display damage to a tank right from the start of the mission, so that a tank does not always look like new from the factory?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BM357_TinMan

I mean, yeah, this kind of stuff is cool (rain effects etc) but, [dead horse]  resources focused more on systems modeling would be much more appreciated by this customer

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

[1Tac]DisCHQ

Great addition to the game, any idea when to expect this to hit live? Together with the proposed decal changes teased for the end of the year?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first time we have ever seen a 1 for 1 visual damage model in a flight sim?

PainGod85

This looks promising. I'd say it still needs some fine tuning on the thinner plane parts where you'd expect to see a complete hole through to the other side, but it's definitely on a different order of magnitude where visual damage is concerned from what we currently have.

• Upvote 2

Well, its not what I was hoping for but!

Please be aware though that this tech is visual, it doesn't affect the physical interaction between the projectiles and aircraft and tank parts or systems. We're working on the improvements in the physical damage system as well, but we'll tell you more about that later.

Between how good those look and the bolded part. 

I'm pretty excited now... 

Also @Han

Its 8pm there, I hope you got to do this from a comfortable chair with a drink of choice in hand!

Edited by Denum
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BM357_TinMan said:

I mean, yeah, this kind of stuff is cool (rain effects etc) but, [dead horse]  resources focused more on systems modeling would be much more appreciated by this customer

How about „this customer“ tries to actually read the post and doesn’t just look at the pretty pictures ... it is mentioned right in the text

• Upvote 14

FlyingShark

Looks great and so real.
I'm looking forward to the end result.

And I'm glad to read you're still working on the physical damage system too.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Avimimus

That is really really neat.

I wonder what the improvements to the damage model are which they are talking about? I find it hard to imagine what could be improved. The fuel rework? Hydraulic failures? Gun jams for the Mk-108? More detailed modelling of damage to aircrew? More detailed fragmentation models for rockets during ground attack? I'm really racking my brain for what could be improved. I suppose better modelling wing spars or wires individually for FC aircraft might be an significant change? But that wouldn't impact the WWII aircraft.

IMHO, most of the complaints about the DM that I see are due to the overly simplistic gun convergence on the American fighters... but overall I think most people agree the sim is in a pretty superb place... which makes me curious about what might be planned 😄

Anyway, these decals will be pretty neat - and help people realise that sometimes when they complain about weapons being ineffective it is really a result of their aiming being ineffective 😄 

Edited by Avimimus

Melonfish

50.cal's won't melt steel 109 tail beams...

Please be aware though that this tech is visual, it doesn't affect the physical interaction between the projectiles and aircraft and tank parts or systems. We're working on the improvements in the physical damage system as well, but we'll tell you more about that later.

But they will soon.

• Haha 2

FlyingShark
16 minutes ago, BM357_TinMan said:

It's right there in the DD: "We're working on the improvements in the physical damage system as well, but we'll tell you more about that later.".

Have a nice day.

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Upvote 2

216th_Cat

Looks good to me. Although my DVDs already have holes in the middle....😊.

• Haha 10

FlyingShark
4 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Hydraulic failures?

Jason mentioned that in his vid about the damage system he posted before the summer.

Have a nice day.

Avimimus
Just now, Melonfish said:

50.cal's won't melt steel 109 tail beams...

But they will soon.

I wouldn't count on that :) I've flown the P-39 and just used the 0.50s to test (as they are mounted on the engine - like on Italian, Russian, and German fighters) as a test. I can use them very effectively and they're more effective than the Breda but maybe slightly weaker than the Mg-131 and UB (as one would expect). So, it fits with the other heavy machine guns (and those were historically weaker than cannons).

Honestly, I think the issue that people have is stemming from the lack of multiple convergence points for the wing mounted guns - and that would require an extensive rework of the convergence system (perhaps throwing out player selected convergences entirely and switching to pre-set historical convergences).

• Upvote 3

Avimimus
1 minute ago, FlyingShark said:

Jason mentioned that in his vid about the damage system he posted before the summer.

Have a nice day.

Ah, right! So probably adding in the hydraulics mentioned and likely the fuel system rework as well (assuming drop-tanks will be included for cross-channel operation in 1943-1944 for Battle of Normandy).

Just now, [DBS]Browning said:

Yes you did 😄

Edited by Avimimus

JG51_Beazil

I still like my "🍩" idea.

We could have been rich!

Thanks for solving the mystery and for the update!  Should be cool to see this feature implemented over as the work unfolds.  S!

FlyingShark
1 minute ago, Avimimus said:

So probably adding in the hydraulics mentioned and likely the fuel system rework as well (assuming drop-tanks will be included for cross-channel operation in 1943-1944 for Battle of Normandy).

I guess, although plans are subject to change.

Have a nice day.

migmadmarine

I agree with avimimus. Aside from perhaps fire probability, I think the M2AN modeling is pretty good where it is at the moment, and people are feeling let down by it due to mix of over-expectation and not landing their hits as effectively as they think they are. But let's not derail this thread.

Edited by migmadmarine
  • Upvote 2

616Sqn_Tyggz

Looking awesome! Fantastic work as usual. :biggrin:

image.thumb.png.56f446a64ae01c96364d16d3197e384b.png

Reminds me of this...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1e/b7/be/1eb7be662e998dba89bd9b757bb5eacb.jpg

Is there any news on this front?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

This isn't a discussion about the .50s. Take it elsewhere.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 15

• Han unpinned this topic