A great one passes on to higher heights...

US28_Baer

Very sad news. Thoughts are with his family, friends and all those who knew him through this little community.

J5_Mueller

I am deeply saddened by the sudden loss of my squadmate, teacher and friend Herr Chunko, he took me under his wing as a new Jasta5 pilot and we would dogfight each other for hours on end, always a consumate gentleman and a positive presence as well as a vital member of Staff a Jasta5.I will  miss him greatly and wish his family and friends my condolences, i had some footage of Chunko helping to do a misssing man flight for another J5 pilot who passed, so i made it into a memorial video, Chunko was an avid guitar player and was in a band ClearWater so i used their songs for the video so it is Chunko flying and him on lead guitar, so fly on Chunko, i will see you on the other side.

J5 Chunko flyby - YouTube

• Like 7
Cynic_Al

I remember having a few spirited engagements with Chunko in RoF about seven years ago, soon after I started hosting.  Since then for whatever reason I don't recall meeting him again.

Reincarnate In Perpetuity.

SeaSerpent
2 hours ago, J5_Mueller said:

I am deeply saddened by the sudden loss of my squadmate, teacher and friend Herr Chunko, he took me under his wing as a new Jasta5 pilot and we would dogfight each other for hours on end, always a consumate gentleman and a positive presence as well as a vital member of Staff a Jasta5.I will  miss him greatly and wish his family and friends my condolences, i had some footage of Chunko helping to do a misssing man flight for another J5 pilot who passed, so i made it into a memorial video, Chunko was an avid guitar player and was in a band ClearWater so i used their songs for the video so it is Chunko flying and him on lead guitar, so fly on Chunko, i will see you on the other side.

J5 Chunko flyby - YouTube

You know, on perhaps a lighter note, I knew he was a big time guitarist, but never heard him discuss it, and I don’t think I knew the name of his band.  Imagine my surprise when I see a picture of him playing...His mannerisms never allowed me to envision him as this hardcore rock and roll badass with a bunch of tats and Neil Young sideburns!  Gotta smile at that.

• Like 2
FlyingShark

Condolences to family and friends.

~S~

JG5_Schuck

Well.... what to say...

I've flown with Roger for many a year, way back since the early IL2 days, when he flew as JMFT_Chunko.

We managed to persuade him to join Jagdgeschwader 5, and i'm glad we did.

Myself and Thijs (and other JG5 members) attended many a Flying Legends air show at Duxford with him over the years.

He was a genuinely nice bloke with a unique sense of humour,  you just couldn't help but like him!

He will be sorely missed.

Our small community has lost another.

My deepest condolences to his family and all those who knew him.

And so my old friend, it is with heavy heart i say my farewell....

Until we meet again,

Yours,

Daryl (Schuck)

Oh! You have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward you'll climb, and join the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and do a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheel and soar and swing
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
You'll chase the shouting wind along, and fling
Your eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
You'll top the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind you'll tread
The high unsurpassed sanctity of space,
Put out your hand and touch the face of God.

Edited by JG5_Schuck
  • Like 3
LordNeuro*Srb*

My deepest condolences to his family, friends, J5 and all those who knew him.

RiP Chunko

S!

SYN_Mike77

So very sad to hear this.  He was a great adversary and he will be missed.

J5_Matthias-Sch27b

At times like this words often fail me...

Chunko's presence will be greatly missed...  but his memory lives on through each sortie and dogfight; every tactical discussion; every chat we had the privilege of engaging with him in.  His skills in the virtual cockpit were amazing but I don't think many people in the community were aware that he never used trackIR or VR.  It blows my mind in this day and age what he was able to do in our sims using just numpad hotkeys for all his views!    I feel honored to have been his friend and squad-mate for over half a decade.  

So Chunko here's a toast to you and all you accomplished.  An amazing person, with an amazing life journey.  I wish you the best till I can catch up with you - either at the end of this life, or in your next.  Keep on keeping that blue sky up where it belongs!  You may have left this world, but God has surely unfurled an angel's wings for thee!

*salute*

Edited by J5_Matthias-Sch27b
  • Like 5
=IRFC=SmokinHole

To my misfortune, I didn’t know Chunko and can’t recall having shared the skies with him. But I feel the loss to J5 and the community. Rest In Peace. 

• Like 1
=VARP=Tvrdi

I remember Chunko from ROF days. Flew with and against him in virtual skies.

R.I.P. dear fellow, we all share the same passion which never fades!

S!

JG1_E_Davjack

I didn't know him well at all, but we had a couple good scraps over the years and this news hits me right in the gut.  I knew him best from watching him rack up kills.

I'll always remember this one time when I was climbing an SE5a up to his altitude, thinking I wasn't seen and hoping to get a sneaky raised-gun shot at him, and suddenly he wings over to dive down towards me and I turn tail and dive, he just pulls back up to get his altitude.   In chat, he gave a lol. ;)

S! @J5_Chunkothe community will sorely miss you.

=IRFC=Hellbender
23 hours ago, J5_Matthias-Sch27b said:

His skills in the virtual cockpit were amazing but I don't think many people in the community were aware that he never used trackIR or VR.  It blows my mind in this day and age what he was able to do in our sims using just numpad hotkeys for all his views!

Say what now? He was looking at the Matrix in code?

It will only add to this legend.

NO.20_W_M_Thomson

Wow Talbot I really thought I was going to cry man, That was beautiful. RIP Chunko.

• Like 1
US213_Talbot

Hobbs did a wonderful job on pipes. That song gets me every time. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
J5_Klugermann
14 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

S!  Hobbs.

• Like 1
Swamp-Snake

Just read this now after being away with work , i am absolutely blown away by this news ,Gutted.

Words fail me.

RIP Chunko mate

TALLY

Perfect - clip - CUBAN !

FOLLOW THE ANGLE'S WINGS HOME BRO !

• Like 1
CfC=76SQN-FatherTed
19 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

Only just watched the vid (did cry FWIW).  Very poignant idea beautifully  directed and edited.  Kudos guys.

• Like 1
J5_Daedallus

S! all

This is the film of J5_Chunko's memorial flight.

I'd like to salute and thank on behalf of Jasta 5 all the many fliers who showed up to pay their respects, and we understand the frustrations of those who couldn't make it. I've tried to show everyone who was there, but the limitations of the camera meant this was not always possible.

The thumbnail is a 'Blue Max', because Chunko was sent a real one to celebrate earning it in ROF by J5_Baumer some years ago, so it seemed entirely appropriate. It's also the same colour of the scarf he wore ingame.

I hope the film helps some people express their sadness, but leaves you with a smile on your face.

cheers

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Cynic_Al
34 minutes ago, J5_Daedallus said:

This is the film of J5_Chunko's memorial flight.

Also remembering those with no-one to tell us they disappeared for the same reason.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
SYN_Haashashin

Hi all,

Sorry for the late posting....

In name of all Il2:Great Battles Forum administration team and myself, our deepest condolences to his squadmates, family and friends.

Personally, I never did met him (nor spoke with him) but remember dogfigthing with him over RoF skies, mostly me going in a spiral down short seconds after we met.

It was an honour.

S! Chunko

• Like 4
  • 1CGS
Han

I'm so sorry about that. Avia-sim community is very tight and every outgo is a big loss for us.

Condolences to the family and wishes to go through this difficult time.

(((

• Like 7
  • 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Everyone,

The Sturmovik Team is very sad to hear of Roger's aka Chunko's passing. He sounded like a great guy and a real fan of our products. Life is precious and we must make every day count for we never know how or when it will end. Sounds like Chunko had a lot of fun flying with J5. I'm happy to know our sim gave him a lot of happiness and fun.

Thank you for sharing this information with us and again, our condolences on losing your friend and squad-mate. Rest in Peace Roger and may God keep you in his graces in the great beyond.

:salute:

Jason 

• Like 11
J2_SteveF

I've only just seen this as well

This is a great loss, Chunko was not only a brilliant Sim pilot, he was also a really nice guy who was always a pleasure to fly with

He will be missed!!

• Like 4
Bullets

Saddened to hear this. :( 

Rest easy Chunko, I have many a fond memory dueling with you back in my J5 days on ROF. You were a skilled flyer and it always felt like such an achievment when I rarely shot you down. 

RudolphKeyser

Very very sorry to hear this sad news. Only just found out. I am not really a forum person but I had to make this post.

After reading all these posts I feel very honoured to have met Chunko in battle in the online sky's. Be it on the hot end of his bullets.

Nice to know he had taken the time to do battle with me.

I will always have great respect for him and realize I am not a fraction of the pilot he was. 

It is a wonderful thing to read of the respect he has from all of you. What a wonderful community this is.

Here's to Chunko and everyone  here who have lost a good friend.

All your words and video's say so much.

Great honour to be with you all.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Steamboat_Willie

Didn't know him. But that sure sucks.  Salute fellow flyboy. 07