Sign in to follow this  
343KKT_Kintaro

A few questions on Italian liveries

Hi all. I have a few questions on the Italian liveries in the game.

First of all, there are 10 Italian planes in the complete list of flyables (BLITZ + Tobruk):

BR.20M
BR.20M/Trop
C.202 Series III
C.202 Series III Alta Quota
C.202 Series VII
C.202 Series VII Alta Quota
CR.42
CR.42 Trop
Fiat G.50
Fiat G.50 Trop

Patch 5.011 introduced the feature "Objects now spawn in a skin which is appropriate for the map" (and I was very happy with that). So, I wanted to know how the above mentioned Italian planes should be clothed when spawning on our two maps. Mainly because on the Channel map, all of them spawn in some kind of "desert camouflage" livery except for the four Macchis. The Macchis' default skin in the Channel map is the following:

201121125210932154.jpg

I think there weren't Folgores in France in the 1940s, there were? So what about this livery in the image? Could we say it's "dark olive green"? Where was it used? In Italy? And what about the Folgores in the Eastern front? How were they painted?

About the CR.42 Trop... I think its default skin is not correct when spawning in the Tobruk map.

When spawning in the Channel map, the plane appears with the correct livery (I think):

20112112532686647.jpg

When spawning in the Tobruk map, the CR.42 Trop keeps exactly the same livery, which I think is a mistake:

20112112544962802.jpg

Indeed, in the list of available planes, the CR.42 Trop shows a different desert camouflage:

201121125605901270.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Kintaro,

the CR 42 had this skin in every scenario. There are some exceptions, but they are really cases. Initially it was used (not always) to have a yellow recognition band, especially on the engine hood.

So the aircraft used for BoB, operating from Belgium, had a "little of yellow" on plane. In Africa, yellow was not used:

cr-42-skins.jpg

About the C.202, yes, they never operated on The Channel.

The dark olive green (verde oliva 2) was only at the beginning; the plane in the various scenarios changed color.

202-verde-oliva.jpg

In Russia were used the the yellow bandes, in Africa instead the white ogives:

e9b84a78974bccd13c97dc7a313a6a73.jpg

Edited by 5th_Hellrider
  • Like 1

Thank you so much Hellrider, that was a lovely (and very complete) answer.

1 hour ago, 5th_Hellrider said:

the CR 42 had this skin in every scenario.

I guess this applies the same to all other Italian planes involved in the Battle of Britain and present in the game (BR.20, CR.42 and G.50). All of them had this camouglage pattern... right?

1 hour ago, 5th_Hellrider said:

About the C.202, yes, they never operated on The Channel. The dark olive green (verde oliva 2) was only at the beginning; the plane in the various scenarios changed color.

Where and when were used those liveries coloured in that olive green?

• Like 1

The dark green or verde oliva 2 as Hellrider said was used in the "mimetica continentale" scheme used by the regia aeronautica at the beginning of the war on different planes.

The first mottled camo on 202 was used by the ones of 4 stormo sent in Africa in November 41, that painted some giallo mimetico 4 puffs over the dark green.

One interesting feature regarding the later Mediterranean scheme of the macchi is that is different depending on the builder of the plane. All used nocciola chiaro 4 as base with Verde Oliva scuro 2 for the splashes.

The ones built by Macchi had the rings or in Italian "anelli di fumo", SIAI and Breda ones had more classic puffs.

IMG_20201121_201015.jpg

Edited by 5th_Barone
  • Like 1

Many thanks! This is absolutely fascinating.

What about the word "nocciola" ? Does'nt this mean hazelnut?

4 minutes ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Many thanks! This is absolutely fascinating.

What about the word "nocciola" ? Does'nt this mean hazelnut?

Yes that's the correct translation.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Thank you so much Hellrider, that was a lovely (and very complete) answer.

I guess this applies the same to all other Italian planes involved in the Battle of Britain and present in the game (BR.20, CR.42 and G.50). All of them had this camouglage pattern... right?

Where and when were used those liveries coloured in that olive green?

Yes, these Italian planes had that camouflage; with few exceptions.

For example: some Br20s with a black fuselage:

br20-nero.jpg

Another example: some green G50s used during BoB

G50.jpg

Generally the "dark olive green" was used only at the beginning of the war or for some aircraft based in Italy. On the war fronts was used the Mediterranean livery (also during the defence of Italy in '43). The use of yellow bands was not mandatory, but often there were for the BoB and Russia.

br-20.jpg

fiat-g50.jpg

Edited by 5th_Hellrider