Buzzsaw

Joystick Wizard Instructions

Hello All

We are including a "Joystick Wizard" program to simplify the recognition and programming of joysticks and other devices.

At the moment this is located in the main IL-2 STURMOVIK CLIFFS OF DOVER installation folder in your STEAM folder and must be manually started.  We hope to have the program integrated inside the game in the near future.

Steps to use:

-  Make sure the game is not running.

-  Go to your IL-2 folder in STEAM.  (usually installed on your 'C' main drive if you are not sure where to look)

-  Click on Joystick Wizard .exe to start.

-  Instructions are self evident from the program.

-  Finish programming, save, and exit the program

-  Start the game.

Here is a link to a video tutorial on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeh2sNp7c9U&feature=emb_logo

We welcome feedback.  ;)

• Like 3

Thank you, will need to check the Joystick Wizard out. Have had no problems at present without using the wizard to date also.

1 hour ago, Boomerang said:

Have had no problems at present without using the wizard to date also.

Same as me. Buzzaw said this has to be manually started at the moment, so I leave it for those who really need it.

• Like 1

Wow...hope it works with my Pro Pedals...I've had no luck programming left & right brake function with the  ingame "Controls">

Percy.jpg

Hope the changing of ID numbers for joysticks will go away too. But someone told that a Windows10 thing.

Yes, it's a Windows thing, not CloD related. The easy fix is to not play USB bingo with your peripherals but either keep em plugged in or remember to plug em into the same slots. Never had a problem with joystick, rudder pedals or throttle losing mapping so I suspect people are just wildly swapping USB slots and then wonder what is happening.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vonGraf said:

Hope the changing of ID numbers for joysticks will go away too. But someone told that a Windows10 thing.

This ID "ping-pong" is Window "prank".

And the attempt to solve this changing joystick name from

Joy1, Joy2 ...to  (example) "_VKB-Sim_Gladiator_-B56E1E95"

don't solve the issue,  just make things more complicated, e.g. for replace names with Notepad, avoiding map all again.

• Like 1

No, I don't change my USB ports. Above was just a remark in general.

I'm still trying to get my rudder working properly using joycurves/vJoy and the links Sokol1 posted. Without luck.

In my case CloD doesn't start anymore when joycurves is running in the background. The whole PC is hanging in a black screen when I try.

Sorry for the off-topic.

I am too don't unplug/plug stick/pedal - leave plugged 24/30/365, and have all "power saves" features for USB ports turned off, but is just Windows enter in sleep mode that joy ID number (the B56E1E95) is changed, in my case between two numbers, so I have backup of ConfUser.ini saved with both numbers, being matter of load the last  choose by Windows.

JoyCurves use vJoy, and this driver can cause issues.

In the past I  have a lot of headache with vJoy when used install for colleagues for the emulation for use R/C controllers as "joystick" for use in computer R/C simulators for colleagues, work flawless in some computers, in others is need reinstall - from scratch; the Windows.

Try: make a backup copy of ConfUser.ini, open the actual and delete the axes assignments in the section:

[HotKey pilotMove]

After try start CloD.

Edited by Sokol1

3 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

I am too don't unplug/plug stick/pedal - leave plugged 24/30/365, and have all "power saves" features for USB ports turned off, but is just Windows enter in sleep mode that joy ID number (the B56E1E95) is changed, in my case between two numbers, so I have backup of ConfUser.ini saved with both numbers, being matter of load the last  choose by Windows.

(...)

You can try and disable windows' hibernation, it may stop that swapping from occuring:  Run Cmd as administrator, and type powercfg -h off

(The one and only time my game controllers ID's have changed was when I replaced a powered USB hub)

We hope you enjoy our tutorial of the new release Joystick Wizard for IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings Tobruk.

Team Fusion Simulations have released this program as part of Patch 011, release on 31st October, 2020.

We are committed to the continued improvement of the communities playing experience, whether that be in-game or in the set up phase.

We are confident that players will appreciate the simplicity of this program and the time saved in mapping the key areas included.

Lets us know what you think!

Regards,

TFS Team

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

thx for this tool.  

Maybe I didnt get the point but I used the wizzard to map the pan view of my joystick but after 'saving' it still doesen't work to angle the direction of view in flight.

What did I have misunderstood?😅

Edited by easterling77

@easterling77

I suggest you forget CloD default PAN and SNAP view - is just a limited, obsolete legacy of il-2:'46.

For example, for look back (check6!) you need press HAT for right or left FOUR times in PAN mode.

Is not a incremental PAN like in il-2:GB (Bo'X), DCS World...

Instead, I suggest use "mouse camera view" though emulation of mouse movement with joystick POV, though JoyToKey or other keymapper with mouse emulation.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

ok thx mate. I allready use JoyToKey and it works fine

I only thought I could now use wizzard instead of it. But much appreciated that you allready send the link to fix the problem.

Another proof why this community is so great. You'll allways get help, advice ore assistance👍

Thanks

Edited by easterling77
  • Like 1

I like how the Joystick wizard's basic setup is visually interactive/educational in the way that it shows the related aircraft control surfaces during the mapping process.

Edited by Boomerang
  • Like 5

I have the Steam version of CLOD-Tobruk. The Joystick Wizard recognizes my Freedom 2.4 Wireless Joystick inputs as I enter them, but when I save the inputs the confuser.ini does not update so any changes I make do not take effect. I have run the wizard with the game running, with the game off, with Steam on and Steam off. I have deleted the confuser.ini file and then run wizard but in that case no confuser.ini file is generated, I'm running Steam and the game on Windows 7 Pro. Any thoughts or suggestions as to why this may be happening? I can, and I have, input various joystick commands in game but now I'm just trying to figure out why the wizard itself won't save to an updated confuser.ini file.

Part 2 - I found where the confuser file appears to have been generated by the wizard- it ended up in the My Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover folder.  I copied the joystick wizard generated confuser.ini file from that location and pasted it in together with the local files of the game itself, which was on a different drive, but the game still would not recognize any of the changes which I had made via the wizard.  So I'm still scratching my head over what is going on.

The files in the game folder are just backups. The actual files with your control mapping changes have to stay inside "My Documents/1C SoftClub/il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

DO NOT copy them into the main game folder. The wizard saves all changes in the right place. Once you've saved your changes within the wizard you should have a file like this in your documents folder

image.png.19f24cf9759419959f5205c4e1c836f4.png

Move and backup your old, existing confUser.ini in some other place, then rename this "confuser.ini.wizard_backup...." file to confUser.ini

• Like 1

Thanks for this. It's been years since I flew on IL-2/IL-2-1946. I got RoF years ago and had no problem mapping my joystick/throttle (Saitek X52), but I'm having a terrible time trying to get things mapped to CLoD Blitz/Tobruk. I finally got the main controls mapped, but I have yet to get my flaps mapped to the point they actually work in the sim. I'm terribly confused over this. I'll try out the wizard next time I get on and see if it helps.

Thanks for your reply Karaya. I tried your solution. I kept the original confuser.ini in the game folder,  but still no recognition of the renamed or original named confuser.ini in the My Documents/1C etc folder after running the Joystick Wizard .  I did try your renaming suggestion although it seems counter-intuitive as the "back-up" version showing in your example above which was created at 16:51 precedes, in time,  your newly generated confuser.ini at 16:54.  

Definitely too confusering for me.  Although I gave up for now and just mapped the joystick in-game. I'm still trying to figure out how to implement the Joystick Wizard. So any thoughts still welcome.

21 hours ago, mechanic said:

Thanks for your reply Karaya. I tried your solution. I kept the original confuser.ini in the game folder,  but still no recognition of the renamed or original named confuser.ini in the My Documents/1C etc folder after running the Joystick Wizard .  I did try your renaming suggestion although it seems counter-intuitive as the "back-up" version showing in your example above which was created at 16:51 precedes, in time,  your newly generated confuser.ini at 16:54.

The file modification time in the picture has no meaning, I dont know why you are bringing this up. The picture is solely meant to show what the file created by the wizard looks like. Stick to what I actually wrote, not to what you are interpreting.

The condensed workflow:

1) Backup your current confUser.ini that's in the documents folder (NOT game folder). Copy/paste it somewhere else, then delete the one in the documents folder.

2) Run the Joystick Wizard, map your inputs, then save it.

3) Rename the newly created "confuser.ini.wizard_backup" to simply confUser.ini

4) Done

Edited by Karaya

20 hours ago, mechanic said:

Although I gave up for now and just mapped the joystick in-game. I'm still trying to figure out how to implement the Joystick Wizard. So any thoughts still welcome.

Best thing do do, Joystick Wizzard don't offer nothing better than in game assignment, other than a pseudo easiness and don't allow tune axes, neither cover advanced controls like bombsights.

Edited by Sokol1