A fun video staring An. Petrovich

1 minute ago, RedKestrel said:

Jason and the Il-2 Forums watching the Principal Software Engineer of IL-2 performing low level acrobatics:

reaction.gif.616c68e48aba3a81ac4fd786cd2f1249.gif

That maneuver had me clutching my pearls for sure.

😬

I hope you have him insured.

Very cool video - thanks for posting.

Neat aircraft and interesting design - I like how the human is placed in front to absorb impact/protect the aircraft in case of a crash. 😶

• Haha 14

Also, as an amateur leatherworker...that is some bitchin' headgear.

One of these days I'll find the time to do a reconstruction of the old leather flying helmets...

1 minute ago, Gambit21 said:

I can’t believe how fast that little thing is

Very cool

Il-2 developers are very aerodynamic apparently!

So... manoeuvres like an Immelmann (the man not the manoeuvre)...

...while flying an ultralight... which is basically a refinement of the pre-WWI aircraft (same lovely view and low wing-loading... but same high death rate).

I suppose there is nothing like first-hand experience, but...

I really hope he is careful... because we couldn't replace the man!

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Too much riding on that for me.  I think I prefer to have my key flight sim personnel preserved in bubble wrap.  

Agree.  If I were Jason I'd tell him to cut that heart stopping sh#t out or he'll impose compulsory,  annual prostate testing on all key workers:(.

I believe raaaid knows a good finger doctor!  

Awesome!!! Man you have some cojones my friend.  

Crazy idea, why don't you make a flight model of that plane as a "collector" plane. I'd buy it for a reasonable price! And would be a great way to AnPetrovich to validate the fundamentals of the modelling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That is the only way to really fly. Safe as houses if you know what you're doing. Jason has nothing to worry about. I think.

Loved the guy on the quad bike taking on the challenge with grim determination by sliding his spectacles down into racing position LOL.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, JG1_Vonrd said:

So, will it be issued as a Collector plane?   🙃😄🙃

One has to love the view...!

Kindof reminds me of one reason I wanted a WWI era Boxkite trainer:

800-1.jpg

Or a WWII era SG-38 training glider:

cache_34004917.jpg

7 hours ago, Avimimus said:

So... manoeuvres like an Immelmann (the man not the manoeuvre)...

...while flying an ultralight... which is basically a refinement of the pre-WWI aircraft (same lovely view and low wing-loading... but same high death rate).

I suppose there is nothing like first-hand experience, but...

I really hope he is careful... because we couldn't replace the man!

That was an Immelmann in it's original form. The engine better be perfectly maintained. That sort of manoeuvre immediately after take off, probably combined with engine failure, is what killed James McCudden. It is a brilliant video but I wish AnP would get a safe height before stunting!

Edited by unreasonable
21 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

That sort of manoeuvre immediately after take off, probably combined with engine failure, is what killed James McCudden. It is a brilliant video but I wish AnP would get a safe height before stunting!

I disagree. It wasn't immediately after take-off. He had a full head of energy before starting the maneuver.

I would surmise that he could have completed it without engine power. Gliders can do the same maneuver as long as they have sufficient airspeed.

That being said... any low level aerobatics are fraught with risk. I know, I have quite a bit of time as a full scale aerobatic pilot, but I don't have a low altitude endorsement, (and I'm not active anymore) so I had to stay above 1000 ft AGL... in reality I didn't initiate any maneuver with less than 3000 ft at start.

Edited by JG1_Vonrd

It's always great  to know we have talented / passionate developers working on our preferred air combat title !

Me just thinks he took it a bit too risky on that wing drop ... He is surely confident of the machine he has under control, but Heck! - that recovery was too close to the ground !

Please be careful An. !  ;-)

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JG1_Vonrd said:

I disagree. It wasn't immediately after take-off. He had a full head of energy before starting the maneuver.

I would surmise that he could have completed it without engine power. Gliders can do the same maneuver as long as they have sufficient airspeed.

That being said... any low level aerobatics are fraught with risk. I know, I have quite a bit of time as a full scale aerobatic pilot, but I don't have a low altitude endorsement, (and I'm not active anymore) so I had to stay above 1000 ft AGL... in reality I didn't initiate any maneuver with less than 3000 ft at start.

Smart move, "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots". Competition finishes in a glider are the limit of what I mess around in close to the ground. Up high anything goes :)

• Like 1