Sign in to follow this  
shamino

Speed problem with AI

I'm flying a Spitfire Ia during the Cliffs of Dover campaign and I'm regularly outflied by 109s E3 and maybe it is normal cause they're faster (right?), problem is my wingmen also fly faster than me when I'm at full throttle, prop pitch at 60-70%, rich mixture and this happens at any altitude. Am I doing something wrong? Are there other parameters I should consider?

You'll probably be out paced by the ai a lot, at least that's my experience, it's due to the ai having a different flight model and being able to adjust everything perfectly.

But a few suggestions to help reduce this have you trimmed your control surfaces and adjusted your radiator to reduce drag? 

Edited by Thundercracker

1 minute ago, Thundercracker said:

You'll probably be out paced by the ai a lot, at least that's my experience, it's due to the ai having a different flight model and being able to adjust everything perfectly.

But a few suggestions to help reduce this have you trimmed your control surfaces and adjusted your radiator to reduce drag? 

Thank you, yes I use trim controls but actually I never touch the radiator... I should experiment more with it!

I tend to run between 60-40% in most cases, just keep an eye on your water temp and adjust as necessary. Best of luck 👍

On 10/18/2020 at 8:31 AM, shamino said:

I'm flying a Spitfire Ia during the Cliffs of Dover campaign and I'm regularly outflied by 109s E3 and maybe it is normal cause they're faster (right?), problem is my wingmen also fly faster than me when I'm at full throttle, prop pitch at 60-70%, rich mixture and this happens at any altitude. Am I doing something wrong? Are there other parameters I should consider?

Are you flying a Spit IA 100 octane version or the 87 octane version?

If the aircraft is an 87 octane version, then it is wrong for the campaign and should be changed for the 100 octane version.

If the aircraft is the correct type, then look at how you are managing the parameters.

-  You should only use 100% open radiator in low speed turn contests... as the speed increases, you can shut down the radiator to as little as 40%...  keep an eye on the temperature gauges.  This reduces drag and increases speed.

-  Make sure you are trimming the rudder correctly so the sideslip indicator is centered.  This also makes a big difference with speed.

-  Use 110% throttle, "Boost Cutout" in combat situations...  as mentioned carefully watch your temperature gauges.  You can use it longer at high speeds because more air is being forced through the radiators and cooling is optimized.

The planes in "Cliffs of Dover" campaign are 87 octanes, because when CloD was released have only 87 octane version - due the bad historical research of MG team (that took 4 years or more). 😜

And as nobody cared to fix this campaign, it remains "as is".  

[BoB_RAF_F_602Sqn_Late.01]
  Flight0  G M
  Class Aircraft.SpitfireMkIa
  Formation FINGERFOUR

But the fuel don't make difference in Single Player, no mater if player are in Tiger Moth or Spitfire, AI always accelerate (and climb) fast, and decelerates faster too, as if they drop a "parachute" (or anchor). :)

Looks like AI try reach the next waypoint the more fast possible and when near have tho slow much for compensate the "warp" and keep the flight time duration defined in FMB.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Like 1

I find at least they don't do these wild and fast yo-yos/aerobatics anymore as I saw years ago. Or better said to a much lesser extend.

They're rolling like ufos though. Sadly, due to this fact the SP is unplayable for me.

I have become accustomed to these crazy maneuvers of AI, and it takes me more time to shoot them down each time.
Regarding sneak attacks from behind, AI can always make maneuvers at the moment of being hit, so it is not always possible to successfully shoot them down...
IMO even all of these AI are set to an "ACE" level, this kind of reaction is even more powerful than ACE.

Rest tune the AI skill in mission files, e.g.

Skill0 0.9 0.8 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7

The numbers varies from 0 (rookie) to 1 (ace), so avoid use 0 and 1 for avoid "dumb drones" and "acrobatic UFO's".

Just chance the two first numbers (Basic and Advanced Flight), keeping bellow 0.5 reduce the "UFO roll rate" for acceptable levels.

So:

Skill0 0.5 0.4 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7

The fourth number is Gunnery, can leave in 0.7 (Veteran) or increase, AI is not good shooter - unless against player plane. 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Rest tune the AI skill in mission files, e.g.

Skill0 0.9 0.8 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7

I was playing around in the Mission Editor where I set all the skills to 0, however I didn't notice any changes - some planes still used that ufo roll.

I think UFO roll often is due to a large change in altitude between waypoints, AI tries to keep below the speed set in the Mission builder whilst diving to the next WP and rolls all over the shop in order to keep speed down.... So check altitude between WPs and speed, try reducing altitude drop or raise speed. I have notice this when playing older SP missions but also in some of the newer Tobruk missions especially if you chase the enemy back to base. Once that final landing waypoint kicks in and if they are still at altitude you can see the waltz begin! 

• Like 1