Han

Developer Diary 262 - Discussion

1 hour ago, Han said:
Dear friends,

Today we'll continue to show you the progress of the aircraft currently in development. The hero of the day is two-seater this time, twin-engine fighter/bomber De Havilland Mosquito F.B.Mk.VI Series II we're making for Battle of Normandy.

The recently announced player controllable mobile AA guns are also showing good progress.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

@Han

The Mossie is looking absolutely gorgeous! Hope you consider doing a bomber variant as well because cookies... 🍻

Edited by ROCKET_KNUT
  • Upvote 1

It's got a bloody 6 pdr!

*Swoons*

Fabulous! Cookies, Cookies, Cookies...;-)

03.jpg.6ba168b731599186a2a1a022af02e646.jpg

1280px-RAF_Bomber_Command_HU95286.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Don't think the FB versions of the Mossie would have carried cookies, Sevenless. No bombsight, and I wouldn't want to try dropping one in a low-level attack. 😉

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, AndyJWest said:

Don't think the FB versions of the Mossie would have carried cookies, Sevenless. No bombsight, and I wouldn't want to try dropping one in a low-level attack. 😉

It's totally possible to drop at low level! Once, anyway.

• Haha 9
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

I know. Only the Mk IV, IX and XVI carried them, but I thought some constant nagging could help my case in the long run to get them into the game as additional variants. 😉 

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I know. Only the Mk IV, IX and XVI carried them, but I thought some constant nagging could help my case in the long run to get them into the game as additional variants. 😉 

You´re not alone, there are a lot of pilots out there wanting the bomber soooo much! 🍻

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, a glazed-nose bomber version would be nice.  And a radar-equipped night fighter...

Meanwhile though, we're getting what has to be the best choice for Normandy-map tree-top-level tactical-mayhem. 

Edited, because I should read more carefully...

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Like 2

Wow, really impressed with the crew models. They look so good, especially for a flight sim. Competing in quality with fps games.

The mossie looks great and it's nice to hear there will be some high caliber loadouts!

2000 pounds of bombs, four 20mm guns and four 7.69mm MGs the Mosquito carried made him a dangerous adversary for the enemy. In our sim, there will be additional weapon modifications available - eight RP-3 unguided rockets and 57mm anti-tank gun (!).

Tsetse!!

de Havilland DH-98 Mosquito FB-18 Tsetse (#18398346 ...

• Like 3

We're getting the Tsetse! I'd somehow missed that, gawping at the model.

A small point of possible confusion regarding the gun though. It was a 57mm/6-pounder gun, used (by the muddy-boots guys) for anti-tank purposes. I don't think the Tsetse Mossies were ever employed in an anti-tank role though. And I'm not sure that it would have been particularly effective either, given the difficulty of aiming precisely. A U-Boat (or a surface ship) is a bigger target.

Posted (edited)

I look forward to seeing what will happen when people start using the 6 pounder in an air to air role. :)  It did happen at least once apparently, in the context of an attack on shipping.  

Edited by unreasonable

Posted (edited)

Can't wait to dish out some carnage with this.

Edited by Monksilver
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

A small point of possible confusion regarding the gun though. It was a 57mm/6-pounder gun, used (by the muddy-boots guys) for anti-tank purposes. I don't think the Tsetse Mossies were ever employed in an anti-tank role though. And I'm not sure that it would have been particularly effective either, given the difficulty of aiming precisely. A U-Boat (or a surface ship) is a bigger target.

Aye, it was the QF 6 pdr modified by the Molins company (hence Molins Gun) for air use with an automatic feed system and a 21 round magazine, It fired Solid steel projectiles (soft nose) as the intended target was U-Boats. would probably make a decent mess of a light armoured vehicle mind you. it was reported to be highly accurate, though as you say a U-Boat is not a small target.

2 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

I look forward to seeing what will happen when people start using the 6 pounder in an air to air role. :)  It did happen at least once apparently.  

JU88 shot down with one according to record, the story goes that it hit the nacelle and took the engine clean out of it's mount!

9 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Quite right about being for shipping, see the video I posted above.

Woohoo!

Wooden wonder!

Flying piano!

Can't wait to roll the coals on and rumble some windows!

• Upvote 1

An outstanding addition to IL2. :yahoo:

11 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Yep, AFAIK only 17 built, but surely a great plane to have fun with in the game. Glad they decided to include the Mk XVIII.

15 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

I look forward to seeing what will happen when people start using the 6 pounder in an air to air role. :)  It did happen at least once apparently, in the context of an attack on shipping.  

Looking forward to seeing Scharfi's Ace in a Flight video... 😁

• Like 1

I love how those skinless 3D models resemble a freshly built, unpainted plastic model. 

• Upvote 1

Holy hell, a 57mm AT gun! Who is going to be the first to troll the 57mm against aircraft!? :lol:

Posted (edited)

I have bought the German flak vehicle and will eventually buy the Soviet one when it eventually goes on sale, but have questions.Has anyone described how the upcoming AA guns will be used in game? I mean will we see them in TC or in some way during a “flight” mission. Will they be in dedicated missions on there own? Will crews ( me/us ) just sit by their vehicles & hope enemy aircraft will be flying within range? Will enemy aircraft,when & if they come, target manned AA guns (me/us ?) I guess we’ll be able to travel down roads , but to what purpose? Though useless against tanks these guns could be devastating to ground troops but as others have pointed out we have no ground troops and there is no expectation of them in future developements  in TC. I like supporting the developers in almost any of the ways I can, but i have to admit with these new AA options I’m in mostly out of curiosity and to to add eye candy.

Have these questions already been addressed ?

OH yes I look forward to the bite of the Mosquito!!!!!!!!

Edited by Blitzen

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

It's totally possible to drop at low level! Once, anyway.

Imagine that initial burst of speed after the cookie went off. Tremendous acceleration. In multiple directions. 

The Mosquito model looks impressive. Very eager for her arrival. 

• Haha 1

Salutations,

In reference to the upcoming AA units...I strongly suspect that they will NOT be tied to Tank Crew but will be deployable across all IL2 modules including TC.

Players will most likely be able to drive said vehicles to a desired place or position and then deploy as AA gunners. In short, they can and will be player controlled. Yes, enemy craft will obviously be able to target them. The will be deployed as defensive weapons. They are not anti-tank guns but could be useful versus lighter vehicles and ATGs etc. The deployment of them is only limited by the imagination of the player and or mission creators. :coffee:

21 minutes ago, Rjel said:

Imagine that initial burst of speed after the cookie went off. Tremendous acceleration. In multiple directions. 

The Mosquito model looks impressive. Very eager for her arrival. 

Probably a lot of splinters.

Posted (edited)

YES!!!! 57mm

tsetse!

Edited by 40plus