It's been a while since I have worked on any Livery..

Working on X2 different aircraft atm and never stop learning along the way, it's all good fun. 

Below, is freshly started work on a Tomahawk, (112 Squadron). 

Notice the A 🙂

112 Sqaudron.jpg

• Like 4

WIP

BF 109F-4-Z trop Fritz Gromotka JG27

Bf109f-4.jpg

Edited by Boomerang
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Path tool is your friend 🙂. Makes life so much easier.

Rivets, are .. time consuming to say the least, more efficient if both sides are identical, but that's not always the case.

The above two templates are being re created from just one file that related to them.

I'm using as many photo references as I can find. This will help with everything, except panel lines and rivets. They are both already Normal Mapped within the game, so best match what exists.

The Sandy colour of the above 109, was sampled from a modern photo, then de saturated. It's similar to the terrain on the Tobruk Map. I'll check all this when not using a laptop.

Image below shows the Path tool being used.

Ptool.jpg

Will be taking my time, not worth rushing.

S!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just a short note.

Making good progress on both above aircraft and other things to assist with working on them within the paint shop, so to speak. (should make working easier for the future once tweaked).

Trying new shading layers, will be interesting to see if it shows up well. fingers crossed, will be checking within the sim soon.

Lap top image screens really don't do the image appearance any justice, so future screens will be shared at a higher resolution.

All repetitious hard work is near completed, (being panel lines/highlights, rivets on 109, etc. Working on the wear layers atm and livery paint effects.

Quite happy with the progress, sure ill find something else to experiment with. Will be more than happy to share these when completely satisfied with the final result this end.

Happy to report, work completed from photo references appears darn close. :)

S!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Howdee Dodee, fellow Community members and Developers :),

Been a busy little Beaver I have.. I 'm around 85% ish into the F Series of the 109's Template. Last I counted was 69 layers, just in the 109's Template.

I'm still working on the Tomahawk template as well, I flip between the two when getting a little too cross eyed on the 109's .. . .... . .... . Rivet's.

I'll focus on the Messerschmitt for today, as this is furthest along.

It's been tested within the sim and I'm in the process of checking seams etc. Happy with the shading experiments,  tricky..

Short missions is what I'm running/using as a external viewer, (Much bigger image). ;)

The only work I could not sight/sight properly, was work I completed on: "Panel  lines, Rivet's, work on Mechanical items, (like Tyres Radiators), and Small Decal's".

This is because it's sighted underneath in game. Best I can do is either leave the nice crisp work I have done relating to this out of the template, or ... Ask the Developers nicely if they would consider using what's been achieved to date, (Some Images to sight in the next post).

The Benefits: Crisp newly made sharper images, subtle panel lines with highlights, shading, also rivet's & screws that accurately match size and location in game.

Other:

🤞 *Would like to see current work completed to date, (in game), that's been applied to matching the terrains colour on: Tyres, Intake grills, etc. The environment is a dusty one!.

Plus++ You need to wear your Sunday's best, either on the runway/flying with your squadron, shooting down a Bogey or going down in flames, am I right?

S!

The only work I could not sight/sight properly, was work I completed on: "Panel  lines, Rivet's, work on Mechanical items, (like Tyres Radiators), and Small Decal's".

This is because it's sighted underneath in game. Best I can do is either leave the nice crisp work I have done relating to this out of the template, or ... Ask the Developers nicely if they would consider using what's been achieved to date, (Some Images to sight in the next post).

The Benefits: Crisp newly made sharper images, subtle panel lines with highlights, shading, also rivet's & screws that accurately match size and location in game.

------------------------------------------------------

Hello @Boomerang
I like what you say and I expect those details in the new templates.

:salute:

On 10/1/2020 at 9:43 AM, E69_julian57 said:

I expect those details in the new templates

Hi Julian, those details your referring to will be on a layer within the template yes, just like the example below.

The weathering overlay, (already in the sim), can be turned down, just not all the way.

I'm working on the Wear and Weather overlay for this bird at the moment. I've tried different variations, just haven't decided and end up making more..

Below is a simple machine overlay, if you will, above a blue BG, (the one that usually appears above all others in game).

Notice the machine gun area around the nose within this example? The idea was to reduce as many harsh black outlines as possible. What else can you see?

This Overlay does appear simple and light and should be used that way, as it's not adjustable like the weathering layer.

Bf-109F-4-Game-Overlay.thumb.jpg.6d0ebc31888d679ee37a626a29e20fa4.jpg

Lastly, below is a screen shot of some of the weathering and a glimpse of how the template is coming along. I'll post more images at a later date.

shot_20201005_194233.thumb.jpg.4ee63af440876fe8b6121e60bed56481.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hello @Boomerang
I like that layer because it defines the plates, but not so much the rivets, I don't know if you have them in another layer, in the game model if you see those rivets although they are not very defined.
Your work is the hardest of all. :good:
I like what I see  

Could you include an historically correct skin for the 109F?

6 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Could you include an historically correct skin for the 109F?

Sure will do, who would you like, Hans-Joachim Marseille ?

Chibolthbis, your skin is very nice, and I can see you have used some different parts of the 4k template's there and shrunk it to 2k. If this idea would marry correctly with the model's Normal Map here, it would have saved myself a lot of time, hence the whole point of me doing this.

Here I'll show you. Below are X2 visual's, can you see the difference?

I understand some folks really don't mind and some do.

DWT.thumb.jpg.412f50d1dcbac35a7eecddcb603cc606.jpgBox.thumb.jpg.a72b6001f94f81cd72a92896f648c1f3.jpg

Within the template, I'll ad A few different numbers that I can reproduce from historical images for artist's to use, if they wish. With the colour's, there will be basic top and underside template's. Colour Pallet within the template? No, there are plenty out there to use already, besides, I would rather use more than one tone these day's.

There should be enough for the artist's to use. It would be nice to see different/ more unique looking skin's when finished & available for use.

:):salute:

• Upvote 1

Hey,

Just remembered something that should help/assist with the art work relating to future Liveries/templates.

Okay, I'll do my best and try and explain this, while giving consideration to everyone new and experienced..

Templates for aircraft can become rather large and somewhat confusing to use, especially with someone that's unfamiliar, or has a PC that's not as new anymore and slower.

Mind you, this is more work for me, lol, but I have been working on some of this already.

What I will attempt to do, and it's different to what you see out there already from what I'm aware of okay, is: Break the once completed Aircraft Template into separate Templates, or "Tool Boxes" if you will. This can be used as a kit, which will give you a complete Template anyway. Updating will be much less on the download time side of things and considerate of slower ISP speeds. All of this can than be quickly assembled within a much smaller liveries toolbox or paint shop. I hope that makes some kind of sense?

I've always been a believer in the collaborative effort. This can slow artist's down a little and encourage opportunity for cool idea's. I reckon the work shared would be at a great standard, encourage more focus, participation and experimentation. Besides, the artist's would have more time enjoying our flight hobby.

In mentioning this above, I will continue to see this through, health, time permitting.

Tip's to new comers, and a note to self.

Many times have I made/discovered mistakes, and that's okay it's all apart of  the learning.  It's good our community check our work, sometimes we tend to get excited about the giving and sharing.

Try new, different techniques with shading, lighting, colour variation, tone variation, wear etc. I have seen some awesome work out there and not just on the aircraft.

Mentioning this alone will tend to extend those layers, so best name and colour tag well during working.

I'm sure one technique/style Ive seen, appeared to be produced in a similar fashion to painting a plastic model.

There's other free painting software out there to use as well. Also it's good practice to make your own paint brushes from floating images, or use your own photo images.

I use Gimp the most, it's totally free, gives you the choice of how many hardware cores to use, (like Blender does), and you can achieve great results. Someone mentioned to me one time, a lousy job is never blamed on the tool's of the user. Lol, It's so true!

Gee, that's a bit of a chin wag. :):salute:

hello,

I am sorry but my english is to bad to have a real discussion with you.

But i think you have a good vision about skinning ,finding,making mistakes to make flight simulations better with diiferents ways.

have a good day

• Like 1

Thank you Chibolethbis, you have a good day too.

At the moment I'm working on the exhaust, paint chipping/ware and engine oil leaks. They are all currently on multiple layers, which I will merge into one as a copy. I'm fairly certain the Dev's and many people like the ware slider in game, as I do as well. I have no idea how this is implemented in game, but it will available when finished anyways.

1 hour ago, Boomerang said:

Thank you Chibolethbis, you have a good day too.

At the moment I'm working on the exhaust, paint chipping/ware and engine oil leaks. They are all currently on multiple layers, which I will merge into one as a copy. I'm fairly certain the Dev's and many people like the ware slider in game, as I do as well. I have no idea how this is implemented in game, but it will available when finished anyways.

Do you think you could do a Franz Stigler skin too? Looks great so far!

Hi, =FEW=Hauggy,

I think Franz Stigler drove a G series? Have a pretty full plate of work at the moment. I'm sure there's someone that would be keen to help you out with that one. S!

8 hours ago, =FEW=Hauggy said:

Do you think you could do a Franz Stigler skin too?

I think he drove a G series buddy, but you probably already know that? I like the B-17's too. When more satisfied with the work I'm doing here, I'll release this work for the Artist's to use. This plate is quite full and there will be allot to organize where it will make some kind of sense for the creators to use. I'm sure there will be someone that will fill your request. Hey, you never know, you may wish to have a try at your own request your self with this template when ready, or at least try and share also. It's something I would encourage more of anyway.

S!

On 10/6/2020 at 1:05 AM, E69_julian57 said:

I don't know if you have them in another layer

Yes, they will be on a Layer that will have a "Grey tag" with "Template" after the name relating to the part. The "Grey tagged" Template Layers, in this case, will be best used for "selection" relating to the effect of the artist's working layer. These "Grey Tagged" Layers you will discover, would best be used as a tool, as it may be needed to use again for something else.

From what I understand, regarding the feedback I've received to date, (relating to the in game overlay), it's not easy changing this.

I really have no idea to be honest. If I was to guess, I would assume that layer is packed with others, will need unpacking, replacing, renamed with the same name the code will call on, repacked, maybe something else, then submitted as an update for all to use? I would suggest getting permission first from the Dev's anyway.

Not to worry, we may be able to work around this a little using subtle highlights and shading from the basic template. It won't be the same tho because some of the dark outlines already present will overlap.

S!

Oh alright I just recognized his squadron emblem, I kinda forgot what model of 109 he flew in North Africa.

Well thanks for the work buddy those skinds look good!

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:00 PM, Chibolethbis said:

Hello,

If you want this one is ready.

324304839_IIJG3-Yellow1.thumb.jpg.0c1e6ab1576b630c437dbeec4a950a81.jpg

Great! Thanks!

14 hours ago, E69_julian57 said:

Very good work 

Ditto

On 10/7/2020 at 2:42 AM, Chibolethbis said:

to make flight simulations better with diiferents ways

Yes that really hits the nail on the head and a good positive perspective to have. Nothing is ever set in stone, we are free to discover new idea's all the time.

Keep up the great work your doing, it would be even better if more folks became creative also.

Enjoy your day and I wish you a good one.

At the moment the rivets and panel lines (and stencils) are combined with a weathering layer on several of the older aircraft, and also on the 109F, and other aircraft that are an updated version of those originally found in CloD (ex Spitfires). 

Posted (edited)
On 10/8/2020 at 5:40 AM, =FEW=Hauggy said:

what model of 109 he flew in North Africa

Hi,

My bad, had the blinkers on and associated Franz Stigler with Charlie Brown and the story they shared. You know you are right, he did serve in North Africa. Was his 109F a #12 ?. I've sighted a signed picture online, just no Photo images to date. Give me some time and I'll do a livery for you. Just checking the work I have done to date and I think it would be better if all liveries were more unique, (different from others I have in the works).

Take care S!

6 hours ago, major_setback said:

At the moment the rivets and panel lines (and stencils) are combined with a weathering layer on several of the older aircraft, and also on the 109F, and other aircraft that are an updated version of those originally found in CloD (ex Spitfires). 

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

Questions Regarding clarification on what layers are merged into one layer: You mentioned "combined" Doe's "some" of those layers you mentioned include the mechanical part's layer also related to the aircraft you informed of?  Are these layers "merged" to form just one layer containing standard stencil's, panel lines, rivet's and mechanical parts?

Question 2: I've noticed there is a cool weathering effect on the 109-F in game when selecting the Players aircraft. It appears to vary the transparency of this weathering effect with the slider on the gui. I'd prefer that option to remain as a feature. I'm guessing what you mean by the weathering effect is "combined" with the other layers, means it's on a separate independent layer and not merged right?

Questions 3: How many aircraft related layers in total are what we see in game as standard?

Are there just Two or more? If more, what are they?

S!

Edited by Boomerang

Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot!

I salute you too :salute:

4/II JG-27

photo_stigler_bill_bf109f.jpg?w=778

https://i.redd.it/nqbrtjah6ee31.jpg

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy
  • Like 1

Hello everybody,

A new skin,my first hurricane MK 1 with a new and perfectible scratch template.it was very long but my leg is broken and i have time for me so i am skinning.

have à good day.

Squadron 242_Douglas Bader.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Chibolethbis,

Looks great and thanks for sharing.

I have nearly finished the Bf-109 F template, just need to fix a few minor things, organize, then all should be good to go. With tasks like these, you can just keep going and going, but I believe there is enough for now.

Below are a couple of in game screen shots of Hans Joachim Marseille's # 14. The only place you will find these Numbers will be within the work I release here within this website. Other #14 images looked a little squashed and that's because the photo image's dimensions appeared to have been altered at some point.

shot_20201010_183254.thumb.jpg.bdf3e2cae2500d7dc185a3af7004d4d8.jpgshot_20201010_183412.thumb.jpg.9ae3c35c07ef448b37464b3c9647a71d.jpg

If anyone knows how to zoom even further in game and move the image from left to right, could they please let me know how to do this if possible?

S!

• Like 1

Hello,

I think your work will be great at the end.I am very happy for the simu lovers.

One question ,for my hurricane i dont know where i can find Stencils for him.

Have you any idears ?

And congratulations for your futurs & present skins

Hi,

The Small Stencils for your Hurricane should already be on an overlay within the game. If your looking for Numbers etc, I'm not sure, as I make my own from old photo's when found.

On 10/9/2020 at 2:20 AM, Boomerang said:

Hi,

My bad, had the blinkers on and associated Franz Stigler with Charlie Brown and the story they shared. You know you are right, he did serve in North Africa. Was his 109F a #12 ?. I've sighted a signed picture online, just no Photo images to date. Give me some time and I'll do a livery for you. Just checking the work I have done to date and I think it would be better if all liveries were more unique, (different from others I have in the works).

Take care S!

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

Questions Regarding clarification on what layers are merged into one layer: You mentioned "combined" Doe's "some" of those layers you mentioned include the mechanical part's layer also related to the aircraft you informed of?  Are these layers "merged" to form just one layer containing standard stencil's, panel lines, rivet's and mechanical parts?

Question 2: I've noticed there is a cool weathering effect on the 109-F in game when selecting the Players aircraft. It appears to vary the transparency of this weathering effect with the slider on the gui. I'd prefer that option to remain as a feature. I'm guessing what you mean by the weathering effect is "combined" with the other layers, means it's on a separate independent layer and not merged right?

Questions 3: How many aircraft related layers in total are what we see in game as standard?

Are there just Two or more? If more, what are they?

S!

I don't know everything about each layer because someone else works on most of the layers. I do the users skins and default skins (most of them, anyway).

I think there are around 8 layers. But they may be changed in the future. Some layers are damage layers... then Specular /shine, panel lines, camo/diffuse... mechanical, etc.

On older aircraft the panel lines and stencils are on a layer with light weathering (not the same as in-game weathering). But this makes it difficult to alter the stencils - removing them would erase other texture detail. You can see what I mean if you download the old original single layer templates from the ATAG forum download section.

Here:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=227

Or

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php?categoryid=12

(Feel free to upload your skins in the skin download section... then  you can follow how many downloads are made).

As I said, these things may change. We might be updating the hidden layers. We might be improving the textures.

Edited by major_setback
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, Boomerang said:

Hi Chibolethbis,

Looks great and thanks for sharing.

I have nearly finished the Bf-109 F template, just need to fix a few minor things, organize, then all should be good to go. With tasks like these, you can just keep going and going, but I believe there is enough for now.

Below are a couple of in game screen shots of Hans Joachim Marseille's # 14. The only place you will find these Numbers will be within the work I release here within this website. Other #14 images looked a little squashed and that's because the photo image's dimensions appeared to have been altered at some point.

shot_20201010_183254.thumb.jpg.bdf3e2cae2500d7dc185a3af7004d4d8.jpgshot_20201010_183412.thumb.jpg.9ae3c35c07ef448b37464b3c9647a71d.jpg

If anyone knows how to zoom even further in game and move the image from left to right, could they please let me know how to do this if possible?

S!

Left-right and zoom:

The 'delete' button gives to best angle of view, undistorted and close.

Try also...

Move camera left-right/up-down:

Mouse middle button plus mouse left- click, keep these pressed while moving the mouse.

Zoom:

mouse middle button plus right- click while moving the mouse. 

Rotate around aircraft:

Mouse middle button while moving the mouse.

Edited by major_setback
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, major_setback said:

Left-right and zoom:

The 'delete' button gives to best angle of view, undistorted and close.

Try also...

Move camera left-right/up-down:

Mouse middle button plus mouse left- click, keep these pressed while moving the mouse.

Zoom:

mouse middle button plus right- click while moving the mouse. 

Rotate around aircraft:

Mouse middle button while moving the mouse.

Thanks a bunch for this, also your time with everything else 👍

S!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Boomerang said:

Template/s coming soon.

shot_20201017_001843.thumb.jpg.2a864e8d90031df31e7223570d058c23.jpg

Nice! The skin is there, now I just need my black sheeps I./JG27 squadron started.

Spoiler

I just rooted around in my cache... found the default skin that I really  liked and made it historical ...simple

50510979201_ea5fedbc44_b.jpg

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

Good for you II./JG27_Rich.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is the day I bring you some home made gift's  :)

Provided within the Link below is a folder that will contain work present & future.

It's the one place stop, so to speak. The Location will remain the same as will the Link.

I tried to make the Templates easy to use for everyone. These available (X2) Bf-109 F Templates are not compressed and have been converted to *.psd format.

There should be enough there for other creators to work from.

Work I contributed was all voluntary for this sim.

Enjoy, have fun.

Downloads Link: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/wemmwkj50ntrm/Desert-Wings-Tobruk-IL-2

• Thanks 1

Great !Can you tell me what is in the "Decals " folder?  Thanks again!

Edited by Blitzen
text