PatrickAWlson

Can you change the position of a plane?

let's say I have a plane and I might want it to spawn here or there depending on a this check zone or that check zone being triggered.  Is there any way to have the plane on the map, disabled, then change the location of the plane and enable it?

32 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

let's say I have a plane and I might want it to spawn here or there depending on a this check zone or that check zone being triggered.  Is there any way to have the plane on the map, disabled, then change the location of the plane and enable it?

I know you can despawn and respawn a plane in a dif location, but location of respawn is fixed at mission creation, its not dynamic as we don't have logic to query position and  update an objects position it  in the editor

basically u despawn the object and recreate a new one at the dif location

see activate, deactivate(used to toggle object on off), delete and spawner(used to delete and create an object) MCU's in  the "Mission Editor and Multiplayer Server Manual"

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

Have a look at "Example: Spawn an AI Fighter at Random Locations Whenever a Player Enters a Zone" on pg. 112 of the editor manual. The key is the "Spawn at me" option in the spawner trigger MCU. Instead of the random switch, you could use your checkzones.

• Like 1

Key point: I am not spawning.  I am enabling a disabled plane.  That is really the whole purpose of the larger change is to get away from spawning planes so I can use formations and cover commands. 

So I have the plane, disabled, at a point on the map.  I would like to do a sequence where I change its position and then enable it.

I think he wants the same entity moved 

13 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

The player doesn't know the difference... 

Illusion 100 - Meme Template and Creator

Just now, Sketch said:

The player doesn't know the difference... 

Illusion 100 - Meme Template and Creator

Nope - but I think it’s for under the hood performance reasons and the sheer amount of aircraft and logic he’s dealing with. Also that aircraft has to be manually placed - he needs them to appear anywhere (I think)

19 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

32 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

A trick for a train going through a tunnel? ... railway route permitted, or an 'off-road' train LoL.

Just realized how many train tunnels are standard in the Rheinland map area, probably in other (mountain rich) areas like Kuban too.

Any tricks yet? Maybe Lizlemon has an idea ?

And then there were al them underground facilities the nazis built, well, actually their enslaved workers from all over Europe. .

Uhh, Normandy, any Atlantic Wall plans?

Edited by jollyjack

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Like this?

image.thumb.png.0452c331a2011e6afd31cb71caa2339b.png

I have that.  I am creating dozens of instances of the plane in a disabled state to emulate its route.  When the player trips a proximity CZ the associated instances are enabled and the activation of all further instances is disabled.  That works mechanically. 

Issue: That many disabled planes is producing a performance issue.  If I can have a single instance of the plane and move its location before it is enabled then I would not need many disabled instances of each plane.  

So right now I am trying to solve a performance problem and not a mechanical one.  Apologies if the initial post was not detailed enough for folks to understand the purpose.

@PatrickAWlson at what point (how many) disabled aircraft on the map do you begin to see performance issues? What form do these issues take? Time dilation?

I’m going to design a few tests on the Rhineland map and try and determine where trouble begins. My next project will rely heavily on randomized, “spawn/activate anywhere” logic for enemy and some friendly flights.