Wishlist for IL2 Cliffs Of Dover Blitz / Desert Wings Tobruk

I propose to talk here about your wishes for future features of IL2 Cliffs Of Dover Blitz / Desert Wings Tobtuk

1. A feature i would like to see one day in CloD/DWT is the possibility for pilots when replaying a recorded track to pause it, resume control of an aircraft (in the track) and continue the mission from this state.

A multiplayer mode of this kind of feature would allow tremendous training and drill scenarios...

I would like to see the function that exists in The Battle Of Stalingrad called 'Autolevel'. In that game, if you've used up all your ammo, you can point towards the last waypoint (Home) and then press 'Autolevel' to keep you on course for home and at a fixed altitude. In this game, if you engage the Autopilot when you've used up all your ammo, the game will simply pick up from the last waypoint used. So, for me, a 'set course to final waypoint' key would be great. 🙂

B-24 or Lancaster, either is a huge undertaking but either would be amazing to have and perfect as CloD has the ability to run huge formations (and well worth a £20 asking fee if created as a collector aircraft). 

A new effects engine that would allow much better particles for 3D contrails, effects that don't all disappear when the particle limit is reached, icing on canopies to be brought back but not to destroy the engines, so climbing fast into a cold winter sky would see Frost appear across the canopy, sky banding eradicated, searchlights fixed once and for all, a return to detailed explosions filled with dust, tendrils and debris. 

The original CloD map rebuilt with the new map tools to fix all the longstanding issues including vehicles being able to cross bridges. The textures, objects, etc, etc are already there... just a rebuild of the map. 

I would mention rain and snow storms but with the new wester engine maybe this will happen? 

Oh and if we are going to go with Rose tinted glasses, there was nothing finer than crash landing your burning aircraft, popping the canopy, running away from the burning wreckage and diving to the ground as the aircraft exploded. Currently it feels really heartbreaking to watch your pilot burn to death when we used to be able to escape from that outcome. 

Finally strafing a vehicle column, it would be great to once again to see the occupants jump out and run away. 

Well it is a wishlist after all. 

Cheers, Mysticpuma 

• Upvote 2

Looking at how DLC is implemented, I'd say some re-implementation would be in order before any "plane pack" DLCs. Currently, if a server is using Tobruk content, you can't join the server if you don't have Tobruk. It would be better to make it so that you just couldn't use the planes that come with Tobruk, but could join the server.

• Upvote 1

Better (and working)RT commands.These have always been problematic since the beginning in CloD, and so far as I can tell are still only partially working.It would be great to better communicate my wishes ( read "commands",) to my flight mates and also, if I had my wish they might also include the ones that usually ( not always work in Great Battles:

RT Commands1.jpg

RT Commands2.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
On 8/19/2020 at 8:44 PM, DavePro said:

It's interesting that many of our wishes are for functions that existed in good old IL2-46.  Working commands to flight members and escaping from crashed aircraft are just two mentioned above.  I know they can't just be magically transplanted, but they were an excellent element  of the game.  Looking back, the main advantage we have now, MP apart, is our really splendid graphics.  Sometimes I'm not sure it's worth it.  Remember watching a wounded TB - 3 crashland, and about a million crew scramble out and run away?  Try about 6 minutes in.  The original video's a lot better - transfer to YouTube years ago messed it up.

Older il2 46 servers used a nice stats system, with the subdivision into fighters, bombers and squadrons. For years there have been people (me in the first place) asking for such a thing, indeed almost a decade now.
Never taken into consideration.
Truly speaking, SoW had done something like that and well done.

The problem is that Clod has not the pilot and plane connected and it has the de-spawn for plane. If you hit and damage a plane, even if it lands perfectly you will get the kill once the plane does the automatic de-spawn (after 2 min by default).
The same thing, but in reverse, if you get damaged and if you don't want to suffer the shotdown in your stats, just quickly change planes and leave the old one to the AI. Exploit already known and used by some.

It takes something which acts in the script and that distinguishes disconnect (pilot-plane), land, etc. We ( some friends and I) did a primordial stats-system (the bulk of the work was done by the other two guys). These are things that must be set and managed mostly by the server, not so much by the game itself. 

Having points for bombers would entice players to use them. Without bombers there is no correct war scenario.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

@Jean_Jacques you mean that using your system nobody can use the AI trick to avoid to be shot down?

You will have "disconnected", as if you quit the game. 

Just highlight this value on the stats page, on il2 46 there was. Again, these things are about the servers, they need have something that analyzes the data taken from the game and translates them into values.

NB: on TF/ATAG stats there is a value called Air ratio (kills/sortie). This is quite useless, especially considering the one mentioned above (indeed it tends to encourage voulching).

In all games we talk about KDR, there is no that in ATAG's stats. Wanting to be more rigorous I would recommend Kills/Air abandons, that's what counts.

Also need rankings and standing for bombers (so a sistem for them).

Edited by Jean_Jacques
  • Upvote 1
On 8/17/2020 at 2:55 PM, Lythronax said:

An expansion of the Channel Front for 1942-1943:

- Spitfires Mk Vc, VI, IX (F and LF) and Mk XII

- Typhoon (coffin hood and tear-drop)

- Fw 190

- Bf 109 G

- Mosquito

- Me 410

If we go to the next module, then for certain the FW190A-1/A-2/A-3/A-4, the Bf-109G-1/G-2  and the Spit VC/IXA will be included... also the Kittyhawk Mk II/Warhawk.  (with Packard Merlin V-1650-1)

Can't absolutely confirm the early Typhoon... other possibilities are the Macchi C.200 and Savoia Marchetti SM.79, but unclear at this point.

Mosquito and Me-410 not likely in this time frame, but Bf-110F, and Beaufighter VI would be included.

If we move on, we would also improve the Channel Map, include the 1942 era fortifications and coastal guns, etc.

But the center piece would be a new map.... location we cannot confirm at this point.

Focus would be on aircraft which will work in both the Channel Map and the new map.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

But the center piece would be a new map

I hope you guys make Western European theater in future, with Typhoons, Tempests, Mustangs, Thunderbolts and later Spitfires of course ;)

Edited by Arthur-A

Would love a Northern MTO; Italy, Sicily or Sardinia - so there's your new map.  Majority of existing Aircraft are comparable across all fields and would seem a logical step from DW - T and Dovers version of GB expansion lineage. From this campaign you could intro your planned new Aircraft with the possibility of those that like the B-17 or B-24 Dumpsters or your Anti-Shipping/ Maritime OPs Aircraft like SM 79 or Dorniers Do 217.

I dare say whatever the choice, wallets are open :big_boss:

Did someone say VR? :pilot:

Edited by FurphyForum
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

If we go to the next module, then for certain the FW190A-1/A-2/A-3/A-4, the Bf-109G-1/G-2  and the Spit VC/IXA will be included... also the Kittyhawk Mk II/Warhawk.  (with Packard Merlin V-1650-1)

Can't absolutely confirm the early Typhoon... other possibilities are the Macchi C.200 and Savoia Marchetti SM.79, but unclear at this point.

...,but Bf-110F, and Beaufighter VI would be included.

If we move on, we would also improve the Channel Map, include the 1942 era fortifications and coastal guns, etc.

Focus would be on aircraft which will work in both the Channel Map and the new map.

Thanks Buzz.

For German planes, I hope that there could be the Ju-52, Hs-129, Ju-87D, Me-323, but I know that making that last one is unlikely.

Perhaps this as a secondary map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_El_Alamein

Cheers.

S! 

Macchi C.200 and SM.79 Sparviero would be essential to Tobruk. SM.79 performed well in antishipping role and was a rugged plane. 

I would rather see expansion of Mediterranean theatre rather than already "done a million times Europe". How about Operation Torch, Malta, Sicily, southern Italy instead :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8
16 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

Mosquito and Me-410 not likely in this time frame, but Bf-110F, and Beaufighter VI would be included.

But the center piece would be a new map.... location we cannot confirm at this point.

If the MTO is a possibility, does this give us a chance for carrier ops with Martlets and early Seafires?

7 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

Macchi C.200 and SM.79 Sparviero would be essential to Tobruk. SM.79 performed well in antishipping role and was a rugged plane. 

I would rather see expansion of Mediterranean theatre rather than already "done a million times Europe". How about Operation Torch, Malta, Sicily, southern Italy instead

upvote this a thousand times over the back to western 1944 clones of existing suggestions. Everyone obviously has their own preferences though. Personally I'd be happy if they never went beyond mid1943 and stay in the med. Makes it a true alternative to the other sims.

SM79 that was staple Italian bomber in NAfrica 1940, and the BR65 was it? for GA role, as would a low an truly slow swordfish active over there for same period (and more torpedoes). Add in early A20 and beauforts (yep I know, a lot of work) to fill in commonwealth medium attack bombers which can also trace across to dover area (1942dover you can go out on a limb and add the whirlwind).

Another NAfrica map around el alamein might be a bit "samey" with current Tobruk but makes everything still useable. Adding in more Italian planes as fills up for those that would lament the limited Germans options stuck to 109/190/ju88 and he111variants. Malta would be terrific option having been posted there in the 70s, anti shipping raids or air defence but has very little option for ground war except raiding out to/from Sicily or down to NAfrica. But those are very long distant flight options for MP servers (SP players at least can just speed time if they find it too much). Not a fan of air starts, and do not mind long flights (gives time to get a loaded bomber to 24000ft), but I am probably in a tiny minority. Fuel conservation and extra tanks becomes a premium, navigation to find convoys 100miles out.

• Upvote 10

In my opinion the next "perfect" step will be Sicily.

And I have a lot reason to say that:

1) additional Italian (SM79!!) planes

2) a new different scenario

3) possibility of ground/naval/air operations

4) nice girls

5) amazing food

6) unforgettable landscape [if you rotate your head]

IMG-20200807-WA0020.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd give my arm for a Malta map done well with specific 3d terrain models for things like Ft St Elmo and recognisable landmarks and period correct aircraft, mc200, sm79, cant z 506, cant z1007bis, sm.81, re.2001 , Beaufort etc. I'd be happy to play that in SP till i give up flight sims.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4
2 hours ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

nice girls

5) amazing food

6) unforgettable landscape [if you rotate your head]

but at 65 years old think I am past that  - especially if I spent my time bombing them (although my wife will kill me for it anyway)

food wont come into I unless I get shot down, spam and tac rations else

That gives me a headache and a sore neck

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Stickz said:

but at 65 years old think I am past that  - especially if I spent my time bombing them (although my wife will kill me for it anyway)

food wont come into I unless I get shot down, spam and tac rations else

That gives me a headache and a sore neck

But Italians bomber brings everything except bombs...

We can drop cannelloni, lasagne, pastiera, tortellini, polenta, granita... 

Deliveroo invented nothing!

My 2nd wish would be to have dot color close to the dominant color of the aircraft.

For example in the following screenshots, you can see a normal FOV view with dots and a max zoom in view on those dots where we can see the more detailled LOD of a 109F4 with a desert skin.

124.jpg

010.jpg

314.jpg

513.jpg

Giving the aircraft dominant color to the dot would give the following results :

dot.gif

dot2.gif

I don't know if it is easy to implement but this would be a great improvement don't you think ?

Edited by OBT-Mikmak
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, OBT-Mikmak said:

My 2nd wish would be to have dot color close to the dominant color of the plane.

For example in the following screenshots, you can see a normal FOV view with dots and a max zoom in view on those dots where we can see the more detailled LOD of a 109F4 with a desert skin.

<snip>

I don't know if it is easy to implement but this would be a great improvement don't you think ?

You know, I've never thought of this before, but this is a genius idea. Spotting is relatively difficult in flight sims and this would make it harder but I do think it would be a bit more realistic. Maybe if they even just put a little bit of the shade of the right colour into the grey dot.

This is a really cool idea and it would be great to see implemented.

21 minutes ago, ATAG_Flare said:

You know, I've never thought of this before, but this is a genius idea. Spotting is relatively difficult in flight sims and this would make it harder but I do think it would be a bit more realistic. Maybe if they even just put a little bit of the shade of the right colour into the grey dot.

This is a really cool idea and it would be great to see implemented.

Yeah that would be great except for it might make planes more visible in clouds or flying against the sun.Make the plane highlight in a lighter color than gray,like white would work and keep the the hiding in clouds and against sun??

4 hours ago, OBT-Mikmak said:

My 2nd wish would be to have dot color close to the dominant color of the plane.

Giving the aircraft dominant color to the dot would give the following results :

dot2.gif

Right idea but wrong solution. The distant aircraft should be lighter than the background thus arriving at the same visibility we currently have. This is because the ambient lighting reflects off the smooth aircraft skin. No amount of flat matt paint can change that. Try that and let's see how it looks.

:salute:

skud

Don't get me wrong, when i say "Giving the aircraft dominant color to the dot", i don't speak about dominant color of the aircraft skin (which is fix) but dominant color of the aircraft from the actual point of view with max zoom (which can vary according ambiant light).

In the examples i show in my previous pictures, i put on the dot the dominant color of the second screenshot (the one with the max zoom and the High LOD).

Edited by OBT-Mikmak

I'd prefer they avoid any theater BoX is already covering, and I'm particularly keen on more North Africa/Mediterranean maps, Tunisia, Malta, Sicily, Monte Cassino etc. These places are often ignored in Sims. DLC planes would be nice if possible, to expand our stable within the existing theaters. In the near future I'd love to see textures updated to 2 or 4k standards. In the far future I'd love working radars for night fighters that had them.   

• Upvote 5

An improvement in buildings rendering...

I'm not sure that BoS is realistic with his "distant buildings" rendering, but in DWT we have them pop out just too late.

I mean: I guess at a city in the middle of the desert could be seen from pretty far away, not in details but at least a black shadow

I hope TFS will keep the MTO scenario open rather than move to other theaters.

Sure any map different from the Lybia / Egypt border will require a bigger effort in terms of terrain modelling (larger towns/villages, specific monuments and buildings, more varied terrain textures).

Edited by jaguar
  • Like 1