Sign in to follow this  
ATAG_Flare

What time period do you enjoy flying in the most?

What time period do you enjoy flying in the most?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What time period do you enjoy flying in the most?

• Early War (~39-41, Battle of Britain, Battle of Moscow, Battle of France, Winter War, etc, example plane = Hurricane)
    • Mid War (~42-43, Malta, Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Kuban, Dieppe, Western Desert etc, example plane = Yak-1)
    • Late War (~44-45, D-Day, Bodenplatte, Battle of Berlin etc, example plane = Fw 190 D-9)

Just curious which time periods during WWII people find most appealing to fly in sims already existing or in hypothetical future expansions to IL2 GB or CloD. I know lots of people enjoy the super beefy late war monsters like the Tempest and 190 D, while others enjoy the experience of the earlier aircraft like the Hurricane, 109 E, or I-16s.

I‘d love a Battle of France module - or a spanish civil war module. Although I‘m well aware that I belong to a minority in this regard ^^

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2020 at 10:58 AM, Eisenfaustus said:

I‘d love a Battle of France module - or a spanish civil war module. Although I‘m well aware that I belong to a minority in this regard ^^

I'm not so sure that you (we) ARE in a minority. 

Spanish Civil War

Khalkin Gol

Poland

Winter War

France

Greece/Albania

Malta

Iraq

Barbarossa

I'd go for any of those. At the drop of a hat.

Cheers.

Edited by 216th_Cat
Added Khalkin Gol
  • Like 4

Right with the malta. Then western desert which basically relied on Malta. Although would add in 1941 as well. So Clod right up my street.

Malta....?

image.png.896299d0852378b96bf3eb0aa710df90.png

YES!!

lotsa Ju 88s WITH TORPS

• Upvote 1

Malta!, Malta!, Malta!

This thread has a Malta echo (and I am proud to add to it) 😁

Flying over Valletta Grand Harbour in Faith, Hope or Charity (and yes I know that was a bit of a PR exercise) taking on innumerable Italian aircraft.

Then the Luftwaffe arrive..............

Finland ! Finland ! Finland ! 😄

and the Netherlands too, of course

finland fokker.jpg

Holland Fokker D.XXI.jpg

6 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Battle of France or the Spanish Civil war would be amazing to me. Flying Hawk 75's over the french country side, or flying with the Condor Legion over Spain.

• Upvote 2

I am slightly surprised at the results of the poll so far with the overwhelming majority voting for early war. I myself much prefer the early war planes - the 109 E-1, MiG-3, Blenheim, and Hurricane are all personal favourites.

However due to the fact that so many forum posts I see are arguing over boost levels and performance figures of the big boys like the 109 K, Spitfire IX, P-51D, Dora, etc, and everyone always seems to want the highest performing warbirds, I am surprised to see this result. Also considering that the first step IL2 GB took towards the western nations was with Bodenplatte, and similar planes having been developed for DCS.

Here's hoping we get a winter war or Malta expansion at some point! Perhaps with the new Hurricane collector plane we might see a Battle of Finland DLC for great battles, or after Tobruk CloD might go for a Malta pack or Battle of France, already having the starting content necessary for lots of the planes or the map.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

This poll is not designed well because there are no additional options such as "not sure", "don't care" or "other". People that are indifferent or prefer some other time period have no opportunity to respond truthfully. This largely invalidates the results.

I will happily fly in any time period, although I prefer scenarios where both sides have enough resources to effectively operate a wide variety of aircraft.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

2 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

This poll is not designed well because there are no additional options such as "not sure" , "don't care" or "other". People that are indifferent or prefer some other time period have no opportunity to respond truthfully. This largely invalidates the results.

No it doesn't. It's a poll asking a specific question with three options. The results about those three options will answer what the poll has asked and nothing more. If you are 'indifferent or prefer some other time period' why would you bother taking part? It's not compulsory.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

In really broad general terms:

Mid war (in general, conflict still could go either way, relative parity regarding aircraft) > Early war (lots of interesting aircraft types and variants) > Late war (though having what many feel are  the "best" sexy variants, the writing was already on wall and the end was pretty much a foregone conclusion (= not nearly as interesting))

Edited by Redwo1f

5 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

It's a poll asking a specific question with three options. The results about those three options will answer what the poll has asked and nothing more. If you are 'indifferent or prefer some other time period' why would you bother taking part?

The problem is that the options are not exhaustive. They cannot capture all possible answers to the question, potentially missing important results. The lack of alternative options can also induce responses that are not entirely accurate.

Suppose that there are many people that haven no preference or predominantly enjoy a time period other than the three listed. That's relevant information that the poll creator should know.

Including "Do not know" and "Other" is just the standard design for this type of question.

@Mitthrawnuruodo - you are reading way to much into this. I see it as I think it is intended as just a general preference question and not meant to be a scientific polling event (actually nothing on this particular forum could even be remotely considered that -- ever). But I do get your point and yes, perhaps a fourth option of "I don't know, or can't decide, or it really depends specifically on the scenario" should have been included  -- but hey, it is just for fun anyways 🙂

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Suppose that there are many people that haven no preference or predominantly enjoy a time period other than the three listed. That's relevant information that the poll creator should know.

The question is about a war fought 39-45, the timeframes are 39-41,42-43 and 44-45 - what other timeframe would you prefer???

and if the answer is „I don’t care“ - then not participating is the way to go. There are so many polls on the internet I don’t care about - answering them all would take up a lifetime. ^^

edit: „depends on scenario“ would have been a good 4th option, I agree

Edited by Eisenfaustus

BoF & BoB period, Hurricane all day long.

Skip the middle and then June 1944 - May 1945 Western Front only.

• Like 1

Very interesting! I suspect that the current ratios (52%, 34%, 13%) will change as less fanatical people who check the forums less often are also more likely to gravitate to late-war aircraft (i.e. the 'best' aircraft... defined not as best for their time period, but best for when the end of the war stopped development).

I personally prefer >1942 for the following reasons:

- Aircraft have lower wing loadings and less energy.

- Most cannons are lower velocity and have less ammunition

The result is that you tend to get less 'zoom and boom' long range cannon sniping and more elegant turning fights ...one's where you see your opponent up close, and you know you've won out of maneuvering long before you deliver the killing blow ...as opposed to the late war where the emphasis is more on seeing your opponent first, having superior energy, and being a good marksman (things which matter in the earlier war too, but not quite as much).

Give me a Mig-3 or a Ki-43 any day! I'll even try flying them into '45 if you let me ;) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Very interesting! I suspect that the current ratios (52%, 34%, 13%) will change as less fanatical people who check the forums less often are also more likely to gravitate to late-war aircraft (i.e. the 'best' aircraft... defined not as best for their time period, but best for when the end of the war stopped development).

Related poll from 2 years ago: 

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a slight bias of choice regarding preferred play style - with multi-players leaning perhaps slightly(?) more to late war (and the "best" examples of variants)

Edited by Redwo1f

Couldn’t answer the poll.

42 is still early war - 43 mid war.

Early to Mid war PTO would be my answer.

;)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Couldn’t answer the poll.

42 is still early war - 43 mid war.

Early to Mid war PTO would be my answer.

;)

42 is mid war in this poll - early pto is completely covered in midwar ^^