Such a huge disappointment...

Skaska

...that theres no career mode over the whole war like we had in RoF.
Please dont make this game becoming that multiplayer-slaughterhouse like Warthunder or Wargaming. I enjoyed RoF campaigns over years and seems I have to stay with RoF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 5

But there is PWCG who needs the rigid career mode.¬†ūü•≥¬†¬†and did you ever try the two scripted campaigns made by Vander. I know in RoF the Klemtovic scripted campaign were much better made,¬†but that is pure personal taste, these for FC are also good made.¬†

• Upvote 2

It is one thing all these combat flight sims need but lack a great deal. Counting myself . The attitude needed in order to stay happy with it.

No combat sim deliver all things you or I like, one have to play with the cards dealt. Ace of spades or a lousy two. 

Like it lack what you want, it might have things you do like

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2020 at 1:58 AM, Skaska said:

Please dont make this game becoming that multiplayer-slaughterhouse like Warthunder or Wargaming. I enjoyed RoF campaigns over years and seems I have to stay with RoF.

This isn't that hard.

Jason went forward with this project knowing that you'd have PWCG.

This is a no whining zone.

• Upvote 1

Ah.... come on Gambit... I wanna whine. I need to whine. It's healthy to whine about something every once in a while.

Hey, I can whine about all the whining. That's perfect. 

I feel so much better. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2dLt_Schonfeld
On 7/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, keeno said:

PWCG......... it's all you need!

Not really. PWCG is very good but i miss a solid well designed UI.

Career mode should be taken more seriously. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Absolutely... and, just as importantly, we need the aircraft for a fleshed-out WW1 experience both in multiplayer and single-player. ROF scores very highly in available aircraft but FC is a million miles away and seems to be just a VR test-bench. Maybe this is the way to go but we need honesty and clarity from the devs. Otherwise, there will be a fatal loss of trust from the customer.

• Like 1

BraveSirRobin
15 minutes ago, Rail said:

Maybe this is the way to go but we need honesty and clarity from the devs. Otherwise, there will be a fatal loss of trust from the customer.

What are you talking about? ¬†FC is exactly what they promised. ¬†If not enough people buy it, then you don‚Äôt get FC2. ¬†That is basic capitalism. ¬†How do you think your ‚Äúlack of trust‚ÄĚ is going to impact this situation? ¬†Lack of trust isn‚Äôt the issue that you have to worry about. ¬†The problem is lack of people buying the product.

3 hours ago, Rail said:

Otherwise, there will be a fatal loss of trust from the customer.

If FC2 is ever given the go ahead, I hope that these things happen:

1. The price of it is worth the content that’s in FC2, especially for those who supported Rise of Flight and spent a good load of $ on it.

2. Unless it’s an entirely new map like Eastern or Italian: a map that wasn’t in RoF, people who buy FC2 that didn’t buy FC1 should have access to fly over the Arras map with FC2 planes, as people flying WW1 planes over WW2 Eastern front maps and against WW2 targets for over a year was just plain wrong.

3. A Pilot Career, but yes, there is PWCG.

Some other things that are just suggestions are:

1. Plane(s) that weren’t in RoF that are in FC2 would boost sales
2. Same with maps
3. 3D trenches.

That is all I have to say.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Enceladus said:

That is all I have to say.

Good, since I also disregard movie reviews from people who haven't even seen the movie they are reviewing.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

On 9/2/2020 at 4:33 AM, 2dLt_Schofeld said:

Not really. PWCG is very good but i miss a solid well designed UI.

Career mode should be taken more seriously. 

Yep I must admit the UI design is not Pat strongest point. But with the help of that MS 3D painttool you can easily replace the background to your personal taste of view.

What I also miss is that @AnKor ingame UI to start PWCG ingame like we did see in RoF. 

But for the rest its a fine piece of software. 

Edited by Dutch2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Good, since I also disregard movie reviews from people who haven't even seen the movie they are reviewing.

Couldn't have put it better lol.

NO.20_W_M_Thomson
17 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Yah what's up with that?

On 7/24/2020 at 6:58 PM, Skaska said:

On 9/3/2020 at 8:53 AM, Rail said:

we need the aircraft for a fleshed-out WW1 experience both in multiplayer and single-player. ROF scores very highly in available aircraft but FC is a million miles away and seems to be just a VR test-bench.

I've gone back to RoF because FC is becoming very stale with it's limited plane set and a solitary small WW1 map with apparently little chance of future development.  It's fine for MP but my time zone and mediocre to awful ping limits my availability and enjoyment for the scheduled events.  

I'm really enjoying the RoF career which has so much more variety and scope than FC and, for an 11 year old game, it still holds up very well. I'd actually forgotten how good it is.

Maybe one day FC will be fleshed out but I'm sick of waiting. And the silent treatment is just bullshit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ST_Catchov said:

I've gone back to RoF because FC is becoming very stale with it's limited plane set and a solitary small WW1 map with apparently little chance of future development.  It's fine for MP but my time zone and mediocre to awful ping limits my availability and enjoyment for the scheduled events.  

I'm really enjoying the RoF career which has so much more variety and scope than FC and, for an 11 year old game, it still holds up very well. I'd actually forgotten how good it is.

Maybe one day FC will be fleshed out but I'm sick of waiting. And the silent treatment is just bullshit.

Same here...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ST_Catchov said:

Any issues with ROF career? I read some complaints that there were bugs left in it that won't get fixed?

It always seemed fine when I played it 6 years ago but I don't know what changes were done.

I never got much chance to fly the channel map or the newest planes (I own them all) so maybe I should install again

48 minutes ago, Dan_Taipan said:

Any issues with ROF career? I read some complaints that there were bugs left in it that won't get fixed?

It always seemed fine when I played it 6 years ago but I don't know what changes were done.

I never got much chance to fly the channel map or the newest planes (I own them all) so maybe I should install again

Just got off a thrilling sortie way over the lines zig-zagging through archie when Ernst Udet shows up with a few pals in their DIII's Thought I'd got him but turns out my flight commander got the kill. That guy that did all those fancy stunts after the war must have been an imposter. Lots of action with mid-airs and hair-raising crazy stuff going on. Got some fella called Krieg in the end. I'm in the Camel (of course) June 1917, 45 Squadron. Popped off at a few DFW's with little luck and headed back across the lines with archie making me literally jump. Some of the other guys straffed some cars and ground targets. Pretty enjoyable all up. 4 out of 5 of us made it back in time for the lift into Madame Fifi's. Nurse Gladys was unavailable.

I haven't noticed any bugs but it's early days. The only thing is I have to hit SHFT+M before engine start to enable manual mixture control. It's good to see Re8's and Tripes flying around something, dare I say, is sadly lacking in FC.

You could do worse than give it another go Dan I reckon. ;)

Gosh, idk, I just can't stand the AI in ROF - of the 4 ww1 offerings available (well 5 if you count RB3D), it has got to have the weakest of the entire bunch (WOFF, FE2, FC all have much better AI) - I guess if you were strictly playing MP it isn't as much of a concern, but SP....ughh... - each to their own I suppose. A shame about FC though - it had (has(?))  potential.

• Upvote 2

NO.20_Krispy_Duck
1 hour ago, Redwo1f said:

Gosh, idk, I just can't stand the AI in ROF - of the 4 ww1 offerings available (well 5 if you count RB3D), it has got to have the weakest of the entire bunch (WOFF, FE2, FC all have much better AI) - I guess if you were strictly playing MP it isn't as much of a concern, but SP....ughh... - each to their own I suppose. A shame about FC though - it had (has(?))  potential.

I thought there was an AI mod that helped RoF somewhat. I know the community mods for ROF really bring up the graphics and plane textures. I think ROF is really good if you're looking for variety and interested in single missions and quick combat. I like WOFF's campaign offering if you're going for long-term (though the basic engine and game is pretty old now). I've got to fire ROF and WOFF back up and re-visit because they're worth another look at this point.

On 9/3/2020 at 12:13 AM, BraveSirRobin said:

What are you talking about?  FC is exactly what they promised..

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave on another forum. Anyway, I'm off for a ride on my C5

S! cos I know you love it.

RNAS10_Oliver
1 hour ago, Krispy_Duck said:

I thought there was an AI mod that helped RoF somewhat.

Just made certain aircraft (or rather their pilots) want to nose dive into the ground in my experience.

1 hour ago, Krispy_Duck said:

I've got to fire ROF and WOFF back up and re-visit because they're worth another look at this point.

First Eagles 2 isn't bad at all either - just reinstalled and rebuilding with all the mods (damn huge amount) - not high fidelity, but have a close look at the AI during furballs (and you can have MASSIVE ones if you choose) and you might be surprised at how decent the AI is in it (game by TK - same guy who did EAW back in the day).

Edited by Redwo1f

5 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

Gosh, idk, I just can't stand the AI in ROF

So far AI dogfights are pretty good but there was an instance where the whole flight dove down looking (it seemed) to attack a DFW but just followed it around without attacking. At least I couldn't see if shots were fired from my position safely up high as an observer. In the end I dove down and under it and fired up into its belly and it was dispatched. Too early to tell really how the AI matches FC, which isn't that great either BTW.

But onto the DM. While attacking a gasbag I was smacked by AAA which hurled my crate violently sideways. In virtual shock I thought I was a goner and my career was over. But the bus still flew. Looking through the haze I saw my left top wing badly damaged with struts broken and only a few bracing wires holding things together. I was actually able to fly (very gingerly) back across the lines and all the way back to my airfield where I crash landed. I was pretty badly wounded but at least lived to fly another day. The Camel in FC would be a different story.

2020_9_4__14_34_8.thumb.jpg.7d8814e03cd33f9d7daac676b106262e.jpg2020_9_4__14_35_26.thumb.jpg.c1a50db3953a8b5b5ef8f3f9be1ac324.jpg2020_9_4__14_33_51.thumb.jpg.6935af9d96806161d2d0ac96d6a00a8f.jpg

• Like 1

Well, yes, you certainly aren't going to get any arguments from me regarding DM. In very general terms FE2 sits in the middle of WOFF and current rendition of FC  insofar as, shall we say, general time it takes to down an aircraft. WOFF is the sturdiest, with more focus needing to be placed on fuselage to get at engine or pilot (though wings can and do come off, but not like FC) and FC certainly the easiest (finding the key to easily do it is the opposite of WOFF - spray the wings - seems most shots chew away the sparring rather quickly) - FE2 sits between these two (which actually feels decent in general terms of lethality  (though not having the "sophistication" of FC) - ROF would probably fit in there too.

Anyway, it's nice having a larger set and variety of aircraft  --- and more two seaters! lol  Each to their own, and hope the WW1 fans can all find something they can enjoy flying. :)

Oh gods, I've unloaded my entire ammunition capacity into some aircraft in WoFF for no result. I can't tell you how infuriating that can be. Then the next time you get the jesus bullets that just set fire to him after a few hits. I always aim for the pilot in WoFF, that gets the job done.

FC's DM seems to be fairly good offline. IDK about the online side of things because that always makes a difference. I haven;t flown it that much but I liked what I saw in that regard.

8 hours ago, ST_Catchov said:

The Camel in FC would be a different story.

Would a real Camel have got you home ?

That my dear boy, is the question.

S!

That there is no career mode and lack of planes in comparison to ROF. But the Ai's are decent, multi-player maps like flugzeug2 and others with non-combat options are my favorites when I can do multi-player(most of my flight time is offline due to lack of connection in bum-duck no where in the wild) would love to see some Austro-Hungarian vs Italian planes, maps or campaigns. Flying  and dog-fighting in the alps sounds like fun!  Il-2 Great battles, in general, is a great medium to learn history both in aeroplane design/evolutions and the wars. 

Quick question concerning 3d trenches why? flight Sims typically don't focus on the ground war. Although it would be freakin' sweet if they would incorporate some form of SERE and actually make use of the sidearm.

17 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Would a real Camel have got you home ?

That my dear boy, is the question.

S!

Who knows? Perhaps, perhaps not Zoo. In the reality of WW1, so many factors, weather, construction quality, material quality, pilot skill, luck? But game-wise in RoF, it was a lot of nerve-wracking fun nursing the kite home wondering every second whether it would hold together. In FC you just give up knowing you'll die with similar or lesser damage. Not much fun after a while.

I hope the best for FC. It has so much potential and I've enjoyed my time with it. But I fear the worst. No more development. Which is almost a crime lol for lovers of WW1 aviation.

S!

PatrickAWlson
14 hours ago, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

What is PWCG?

PWCG is a career mode. Originally developed for RoF it has long since been available for BoS and FC.  PWCG actually predates the 1C campaign.  I have been actively developing and supporting PWCG for 11 years now.  

Check the PWCG section or more details.  I try to avoid better or worse.  In the end we freely share ideas - it's not a competition.  Both PWCG and the 1C campaign are full blown campaigns.  Some like PWCG better and others like 1C better and others actively use both.  Anyhow, 11 years and about 150K lines of code later, give it a try. It's a free download and installs with an unzip.  It uninstalls by deleting the PWCG directory.  PWCG in no way modifies your FC/BoS install.  No risk.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 3:30 AM, Gambit21 said:

This isn't that hard.

Jason went forward with this project knowing that you'd have PWCG.

This is a no whining zone.

If Devs knowingly assume players would use PWCG then I would expect from Devs to provide API to give more control over the game to third party applications.

1 hour ago, Zeev said:

If Devs knowingly assume players would use PWCG then I would expect from Devs to provide API to give more control over the game to third party applications.

The API is the mission file format and the log file format.  Adding to either does not affect PWCG (other than provide more possibilities).  Removing or changing behavior does.    An API is an agreement.  Mission file and Log files has been the agreement with 1C for 11 years now and it has held up well. 

TBH I have no idea whether the developers even think of PWCG or not (hope they do :) ) but the mission file format is an agreement with the whole community.  Breaking that agreement would have consequences way beyond PWCG.  PWCG, all missions, and all scripted campaigns could potentially be affected. The development team is certainly aware of this and have done quite a good job in maintaining backwards compatibility.

Log files are probably my biggest worry, but again, 11 years in and nothing too bad has happened.  

Mission creators have long put requests out there, many of which have been met and some of which have not.  But the API is clear to us.  

20 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The API is the mission file format and the log file format.  Adding to either does not affect PWCG (other than provide more possibilities).  Removing or changing behavior does.    An API is an agreement.  Mission file and Log files has been the agreement with 1C for 11 years now and it has held up well. 

TBH I have no idea whether the developers even think of PWCG or not (hope they do :) ) but the mission file format is an agreement with the whole community.  Breaking that agreement would have consequences way beyond PWCG.  PWCG, all missions, and all scripted campaigns could potentially be affected. The development team is certainly aware of this and have done quite a good job in maintaining backwards compatibility.

Log files are probably my biggest worry, but again, 11 years in and nothing too bad has happened.  

Mission creators have long put requests out there, many of which have been met and some of which have not.  But the API is clear to us.  

I mean more than logs, something like giving an API coordinates for unit placement and the API will return the type of terrain. If its land, ask for height etc. If thats sea or forest, generate the location again because you would not want your targets to be either swimming or hiding in between trees when doing ground attack missions.

47 minutes ago, Zeev said:

I mean more than logs, something like giving an API coordinates for unit placement and the API will return the type of terrain. If its land, ask for height etc. If thats sea or forest, generate the location again because you would not want your targets to be either swimming or hiding in between trees when doing ground attack missions.

That would be a bit more challenging for everybody.  The game is not built to talk to external entities on the fly.  It's not a data server in the sense of Amazon or any one of a million similar things.  Similarly, PWCG has no net code and I do not want to add any.  The safest way to stay safe on the internet is don't get on it in the first place :) .  I also do not want to create a dependency on the game running to use PWCG.

It would have to be an offline utility and not an in game API.  Knowing terrain doesn't help me after the mission is generated.  Now if they were to provide such a utility I would appreciate it.  Users have already done that to some degree.  I have not yet tried to take advantage.  

What I want are ever more mission generation capabilities and ever more logs.  If they were to build in a hook such that PWCG could be run in game like they did for RoF I think a lot of people would like that.  

because you would not want your targets to be either swimming or hiding in between trees when doing ground attack missions.

Eurgh I've not done too much flying in either the standard career nor Pat Wilsons campaign generator for Great Battles but in Rise of Flight that was my main grip with Pat Wilsons. Going about and seeing some artillery gun doing a Jesus lizard impression was rather immersion ruining. Despite that still ended up preferring Pat Wilsons anyway due to acknowledgement that royal naval air service pilots existed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Oliver88