billythebassman

Option not to Update

I have one simple request.  Please give users the option NOT to update.  Every time there is an update it means one thing only to me.  I will be spending 90% of my time researching threads and tweaking and, if I'm very lucky, 10% of my available sim time actually flying. (Although this may sound like and exaggeration, it is the LITERAL truth.)  Since my free time for sim flying is very limited, this is a constant issue that has lead me to conclude that "the game is not worth the candle" as the saying goes.

There is a sequence of events that repeats itself over and over --three times in the last three weeks. A huge amount of time is spent getting a fairly decent VR performance from an installation only to have it "broken" by the next "update" thus requiring the "read and tweak" cycle to begin again.  Flying itself takes a very distant back seat.

I have most of the major sims installed on my rig (both combat and civil) and have decided to delete those titles that keep presenting me with these unpleasant surprises when I just want to sit down and fly.  The only ones I will keep and continue to invest in are those that don't.  I suspect I'm not alone in this.

• Upvote 1

If you chose not to update would you still insist on support?    Because if this option was implemented (kind of doubt that it will be, but ...) then staying on the old version would mean no support.  It is what it is.  If that's what you want then you might be able to start the sim directly - not through the starter - and always select to play offline.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My point is that if a stable installation were to be left alone, there would be no need for support.  Imagine an installation that has been set up to work well--then never changes.  Where is the need for "support?"  I would gladly forego the latest "bells and whistles" for the knowledge that when I want to use a product it will be usable--in the moment.

• Confused 3

If you buy new content, your installation would need to be updated for it to work...

Posted (edited)

Let's try again:

You might be able to accomplish what you want.  Bypass the launcher.  Run the game directly and enter offline.  I don't do this so I'm not 100% sure that it will work but you can try it.  It won't take more than 2 minutes of your time.

@Trooper117 is correct, but if that is not a concern then what I proposed will accomplish your goal: running the existing install without worrying about the effects of an update.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Like 1

You cannot reliably keep an old installation offline. Go online once by mistake and that’s it. Might be avoidable by keeping a secure copy of the whole install somewhere, but even that has failed me in the past. 

As for no support, that’s understandable and probably not an issue for many.

The game you get at the date when you purchased you should always be able to run. While it’s nice to get regular updates, I don’t like being forced to get them. 

You could delete (or better change the extension to something different than ".exe") the launcher/updater. So you can't accidently update the game.

Then always start the game exe directly. If course you would need to keep a backup of the game files on your own to be able to reinstall this version.

• Like 1

Right now you have a stable install and therefore don't need support. But that only lasts until a new driver, Windows update, or VR software/firmware update breaks the game, or you change your hardware. Which is the cause of like a good chunk of the problems you see on the technical issues forum.

Patrick,

Your suggestion was both constructive and helpful.  I was able to return to the previous working configuration by deleting the startup.config file.  I will do as you suggest in the future to try to maintain what is now working well.  

I look forward to the day when we, as a community, full of thoughtful people such as yourself, can correspond on issues of airmanship and tactics rather than getting the product to work as it should.

Thanks again for your help

46 minutes ago, coconut said:

You cannot reliably keep an old installation offline. Go online once by mistake and that’s it. Might be avoidable by keeping a secure copy of the whole install somewhere, but even that has failed me in the past. 

As for no support, that’s understandable and probably not an issue for many.

The game you get at the date when you purchased you should always be able to run. While it’s nice to get regular updates, I don’t like being forced to get them. 

So IL2 behaves just as bad as Windows .... forcing updates on us poor users unwillingly😁