Sign in to follow this  
Nic727

Better grass

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Maybe not a top priority, but since now we have tank battle and Flying Circus, I feel like the grass in Il2 is not making justice to ground warfare. I mentioned Flying Circus here because in Rise of Flight, the grass was smaller and more diverse with a bit of flower here and there. However, in IL2, the grass is big and 2D with lot of space between them.

ROF

full-13972-39157-1.jpg

IL2

Il2-Battle-of-Stalingrad-Update-1.104-Ne

Is there a way we could get improved ground texture that could make ground battle more epic?

Thank you

Edited by Nic727
  • Upvote 3

Think the problem is that the grass is to high, if the stem of  all the grass is being decreased to low, this ugly 2d effects would be much lesser notable. You could also set the density of the grass higher, only this will cost you FPS.  

Btw and the original RoF did not have flowers, like at BoX there is a flower mod, that can be found here. 

Check out this:

The issue really is that airfields look like open steppe.  For this reason alone I am thinking of turning grass off completely.

1KWeax.jpg

That is on one of the fields on the Rhineland map.  It's not even close to the reality of air ops in that part of the world.  Perhaps it's a scaling issue?

The grass is simply too tall, no western airfield would operate under the conditions shown in the screenshot above.

• Upvote 2

Had reported it several times during beta testing, so far there was nö answer or Reaktion to it 

• Thanks 1

I fly the po 2 a lot. I switched it off. It looks awful that dome of grass rendering all around you.  In that plane grass of is the better option. And you can turn up something else 

Lets wait for an modder who knows how use the lawnmower 🙂 

@HappyHaddock is completely redoing the environment. I’m sure that he has also worked on the grass. Possibly he could add to this thread :)

Posted (edited)

That’s some great mods, but I think we need different grasses for different areas.

1. Smaller grass and closer from each other for airfield and cities

2. Long grass and other types of plants/flower for different area of the map depending of the surface color.

Edited by Nic727