Cynic_Al

Question for FC Flugpark Admin/Operator

Initially I should say that despite visiting the Jasta 5 website, I was able to find no server-related feedback link, which is why I must ask here.

Whenever I try to connect to your server, I am disconnected after a few seconds with no explanation and I know other players experience the same thing.  Elsewhere there has been talk of a ping limiter operating on this server. In the event this is the case, before I ask anything else, could someone directly involved with the operation of this server (and no-one else), explain the criteria that the limiter applies?  Otherwise, can you offer an alternative explanation for these disconnections?

350 ping limit.   Player systems/connections exceeding that limit automatically disconnects the client. 

Is there any way that you could write that as an error code for if that happens? I'm not too sure how it works, but if you could that'll be great.

I think I had the same problem a little while ago, but I will never really know. Recently I haven't been disconnected so I'm happy. 

Thanks again for the server...

S!

6 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

350 ping limit.   Player systems/connections exceeding that limit automatically disconnects the client. 

Excepting connections via geostationary satellite, under normal circumstances no-one in the developed world should have a consistent ping approaching that figure, so we need to analyse what's happening.  Watching the dserver's window, we observe that a newly-connected client's indicated ping will be appreciably higher than the value at which it stabilises after about a minute, therefore any reading taken so soon  after connection will be meaningless and unrepresentative.

If a client has a consistently poor connection, it is far more practical simply to make them aware of the fact; that way in the event of complaints they will be in no doubt as to the cause.

However if you must insist on enforcement, I would suggest an algorithm along these lines:

Whenever a new client connects, store their connection time.

After at least 60 seconds, store their indicated ping then keep taking periodic readings for at least 30 seconds, always saving the lowest value read. 

If the lowest read value is higher than your chosen threshold, issue the client with a private advisory message in the chat window, inviting them to disconnect.

If the client remains connected after a certain time, disconnect them and issue a public chat message explaining the reason.

What you have in place currently is detrimental to your potential client base, inherently flawed, misleading and hostile.

Cynic_Al, can you give us an idea of your setup, and where in the world you are located. Salute

5 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

However if you must insist on enforcement, I would suggest an algorithm along these lines:

Whenever a new client connects, store their connection time.

After at least 60 seconds, store their indicated ping then keep taking periodic readings for at least 30 seconds, always saving the lowest value read. 

If the lowest read value is higher than your chosen threshold, issue the client with a private advisory message in the chat window, inviting them to disconnect.

If the client remains connected after a certain time, disconnect them and issue a public chat message explaining the reason.

What you have in place currently is detrimental to your potential client base, inherently flawed, misleading and hostile.

Sorry to hear you are having problems connecting, Cynic.  Our pilots pay for a high end commercial server in a premium location at even higher cost in order to benefit as many people as possible.  Usually there are things that can be done on players end to improve connection pings but not always.  There are servers listed on the server list I cannot connect to due often I think due to simple geography of me in relation to the server.

The ping limits we've implemented using features made available in the Dserver software provided by 1C were done with the following in mind:

1) requests from community to implement the limit to avoid lag, rubber banding and UFO behavior by players with bad connections which negatively effects everyone's experience on the server (lag collisions etc.)

2) adjusted the limit to a fairly high level that would hopefully avoid "false positives" and minimize the number of players negatively affected.

The algorithm you suggest may already be part of the 1C server software.  I do not know. Perhaps passing on your suggestion to the coders who wrote it might be helpful.

Looks like there are some community members willing to try to assist you problem solve.  Its a great community here and one we are supporting through our efforts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

The ping limits we've implemented using features made available in the Dserver software provided by 1C

The native ping limiter in RoF is flawed albeit in a different way, so I should have guessed that for IL2 they would have excelled themselves again.

I assumed that your ping limiter was a program you or another admin had created themselves, and therefore would be able modify. Since that is not the case, the functional changes I suggested are not relevant and can be disregarded.

What can a person do to help reduce his or her "Ping"?

On 4/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, J5_Spyboy said:

Cynic_Al, can you give us an idea of your setup, and where in the world you are located. Salute

I'm in the UK and in my experience I would expect my ping to a US west coast server to stabilise at around 100.  The problem is that due to the hamfisted way the ping limiter in use operates, it isn't being given the chance to do that.  For my part the problem is inconsequential, however the same must be happening to countless others who will just vote with their feet.

8 hours ago, J5_HellCat_ said:

I always thought that you need a good connection like fiber optics and just live closer to the server. Some of the things that are in that link would make your game run smoother but I can't see how it would make your ping any better. 

Always found Packet loss and connection instability were greater drivers of lag than pure Ping.  

Posted (edited)

@Cynic_Al I am also in UK. My isp is BT. My connection is ethernet. I consistently connect to the Flugpark server with a ping of 80. I don't have fi ber optic . Hellcats link above may be of assistance. Salute

Edited by J5_Spyboy

4 hours ago, J5_Spyboy said:

@Cynic_Al  Hellcats link above may be of assistance. Salute

That would be addressing a problem that doesn't exist.