Hipsu

Plane specific controls, filterable spreadsheet

Posted (edited)

Hi friends. I've created a pretty nifty google spreadsheet for finding out which planes have what controls, and figuring out which controls can share the same joystick buttons.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WZFFW18zSU0ip5QIZQbmuChM5Tw_5u-sqDCEKO5kWk0/edit?usp=sharing

You can use the provided filters without fear of messing with other simultaneous users.

It's somewhat sluggish, so please handle it with patience.

1UAakcO.png

It's missing Flying Circus as I don't have that product (yet).

Comments and suggestions are welcome. If you have a google account, you can leave comments straight in the spreadsheet.

Hmm, should I have posted this in the 3rd party tools section instead? Moderators please move if in the wrong section.

Edited by Hipsu
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 11
  • Upvote 4

Wow, this is incredible! After a few months away from the series and getting a new joystick, the upcoming Sturmovikfest motivated me to jump back in tonight — but I was dreading going through the controls setup process. Perfect timing to stumble across your spreadsheet, as this is going to make my job vastly easier. Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing with the community.

• Like 1

Wow man ! THis is great :D Will help me a lot. 

Would be so much better if the Dev implemented the possibility to assign different controls for different aircraft. But in the mean time your sheet is godsend! Thanks :)

15 hours ago, No601Jab said:

Thank you!

Blimey you're aliiiiiivveee!

Come back to us Jab - 601 need some quality with the shower they currently have.

Tom

Is anyone willing to help me fill in the data for Flying Circus? Truth is, I won't buy it myself until it's -75%

It's quite a boring job honestly, I went through all the planes in the game and tried every command to see if something happened. Technochat on.

If someone is bored enough to do that, you can use this sheet, anyone can edit it. Mark a working control with an "x" under the plane.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I-dIZoZTHnMtCFZRLeVcYeThJdBw9GL9XJmg7WGtR0Q/edit?usp=sharing

With trims and radiators (if there are any) you'll need to separate axes from switches. Default keys moves both.

Bomb and rocket related controls (like mode and safety) won't respond unless bombs/rockets are equipped.

Thank you. 🙂

Excellent work Hipsu, much appreciated.

I will pass this to a couple of new guys to the series and ensure they use it to set up correctly

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Coming back after 5 years away from sims this guide has been critical in helping me setup an efficient control scheme. Thank you!

This should be a sticky, or included with the game.

Regarding FC - I don't own it but in ROF the controls are alot simpler. There's no rudder or aileron trim ever. About 5 planes had stabiliser (Less in FC). Then there was just mixture and radiator. No oil radiator or prop pitch, rpm, cowls. No rockets either. No flaps. No gear. Only 1 plane had airbrake. 2 planes had "altitude throttle". You can tell if bomb button will work if there are bombs in the hangar. But I'm not sure if the reworked FC planes keep the simple control setup there's some slight differences in the menu.

I'd buy FC if it had career or maps, even though I own 100% of ROF content already.

Edited by TaipanDan

This is awesome! Thanks! Super useful tool.

45 minutes ago, TaipanDan said:

Regarding FC - I don't own it but in ROF the controls are alot simpler. There's no rudder or aileron trim ever. About 5 planes had stabiliser (Less in FC). Then there was just mixture and radiator. No oil radiator or prop pitch, rpm, cowls. No rockets either. No flaps. No gear. Only 1 plane had airbrake. 2 planes had "altitude throttle". You can tell if bomb button will work if there are bombs in the hangar. But I'm not sure if the reworked FC planes keep the simple control setup there's some slight differences in the menu.

I'd buy FC if it had career or maps, even though I own 100% of ROF content already.

There is a pretty neat map included with FC, and they’re giving it a scripted campaign as well, but not sure if it’s out yet. And there is the PWCG (Patric Wilson campaign generator), which is a bit better than the default Il2 campaigns anyway. So I’d just jump in and get FC, I find it to be a lot of fun.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, blue_max said:

There is a pretty neat map included with FC, and they’re giving it a scripted campaign as well, but not sure if it’s out yet. And there is the PWCG (Patric Wilson campaign generator), which is a bit better than the default Il2 campaigns anyway. So I’d just jump in and get FC, I find it to be a lot of fun.

I had to leave ROF just after the channel map came out so never got much chance to fly it, had 5 years around Arras already.

That's great news a campaign is coming though, I had read it was not definite previously. Anyway there's years of il-2 ww2 aircraft released I have to play catchup on, eventually will get FC if it looks like the series will continue.

Edited by TaipanDan

On 5/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, TaipanDan said:

That's great news a campaign is coming though, I had read it was not definite previously. , eventually will get FC if it looks like the series will continue.

PWCG is a separate 3rd party option working outside of the main game, it's not official. It is still good though!

No one knows if FC will continue, it all depends on sales, and at the moment there is no hint of any news on that front.

YaK-9 and YaK-9T are to be released today or tomorrow.

If anyone bought them, could you please fill in the data here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I-dIZoZTHnMtCFZRLeVcYeThJdBw9GL9XJmg7WGtR0Q/edit?usp=sharing

Again, anyone with a google account can edit it. I have a backup if someone messes it up. :)

I put the old YaKs as a reference there, but please try out "every" command just to be sure. I mean, I know they won't have bomb bay doors but, you know, OCD... 🤪

They might have gunsight filters and positions though, modes and adjustments too if they have gyros. I don't know, I'm not super familiar with any of these planes outside of these games.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Found this to be some use.

Though to note the spreadsheet shows the 51' as having the tail wheel lock key binding? But I do not believe (and did not seem to work when just tried a moment ago) that this key binding works with the 51' (granted I am just starting to use her, so correct me if wrong). The aircraft does have a tail wheel lock but it's controlled through your sticks position not a key binding.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:15 PM, Hipsu said:

Is anyone willing to help me fill in the data for Flying Circus? Truth is, I won't buy it myself until it's -75%

It's quite a boring job honestly, I went through all the planes in the game and tried every command to see if something happened. Technochat on.

If someone is bored enough to do that, you can use this sheet, anyone can edit it. Mark a working control with an "x" under the plane.

With trims and radiators (if there are any) you'll need to separate axes from switches. Default keys moves both.

Bomb and rocket related controls (like mode and safety) won't respond unless bombs/rockets are equipped.

Thank you. 🙂

Did anyone assist you with that? The spreadsheet linked there seems to be for the new Yaks. But I could probably do some of the Flying Circus aircrafts that exist for the Entente side.

Edited by Oliver88

5 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

Though to note the spreadsheet shows the 51' as having the tail wheel lock key binding? But I do not believe (and did not seem to work when just tried a moment ago) that this key binding works with the 51' (granted I am just starting to use her, so correct me if wrong). The aircraft does have a tail wheel lock but it's controlled through your sticks position not a key binding.

Good find, you're correct. I'll remove that. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

Did anyone assist you with that? The spreadsheet linked there seems to be for the new Yaks. But I could probably do some of the Flying Circus aircrafts that exist for the Entente side.

The Flying Circus sheet is in the same link also. It's another sheet. If you want to have a go at it, it would be very helpful, thanks :)

HS129 Emergency operation of radiator flaps is bound to oil cooler axis. It moves the lever in the plane but doesn't read on techno chat. No idea if it works or not.

33 minutes ago, driftaholic said:

HS129 Emergency operation of radiator flaps is bound to oil cooler axis. It moves the lever in the plane but doesn't read on techno chat. No idea if it works or not.

Wow, you're right. I don't think it does anything though, I didn't see anything moving in the external view. Plus no technochat, plus the plane "handbook" says radiators are all auto, without mention of emergency radiators.

17 hours ago, Hipsu said:

The Flying Circus sheet is in the same link also. It's another sheet. If you want to have a go at it, it would be very helpful, thanks :)

I believe I am done. As said the aircraft for the Entente are rather basic.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

I believe I am done. As said the aircraft for the Entente are rather basic.

Very excellent job sir. I'm thankful.

I'm surprised the eject button works, I though they didn't have parachutes back then.

Edited by Hipsu

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Hipsu said:

Very excellent job sir. I'm thankful.

I'm surprised the eject button works, I though they didn't have parachutes back then.

The Germans gained parachutes late in the war and these are included in Flying Circus for them. The Entente has no parachutes but you can continue to eject yourself from the aircraft. 🥞

Edited by Oliver88

On 5/23/2020 at 10:50 AM, driftaholic said:

From the devs specs "oil radiator shutters are controlled automatically and don't have a manual mode"

7 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

The Entente has no parachutes but you can continue to eject yourself from the aircraft. 🥞

Lol I might buy FC just to try this 😂 I wonder if you survive landing in a lake

Thanks Hipsu 😃

This is exactly the guide I was looking for.
Thank you for this enormous work accomplished.
awesome 👍

This thread should be stickied - amazingly useful tool! Many thanks!

Hipsu, thank you so much for this excellent resource!!

I opened the file in Excel and although the formatting is lost I colour coded the groupings, makes it a lot easier for a newbie like me to see how joystick and throttle buttons can be mapped. 

controls.jpg

• Like 1