Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

I once tinkered with making skins for RoF... but either its very hard or I need a lot more practice using Gimp (Perhaps both).

 

If there is any super keen skinner out there, I challenge you to replace the roundels with kiwis...

 

I think this would look awesome and set me apart from all you foreigners out there. No offense, but I'm a very proud kiwi :)

Thanks everyone!

 

Salute!

Stumble.

 

Edited by Stumble
Made the pictures a wee bit smaller
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stumble said:

Hi everyone,

 

I once tinkered with making skins for RoF... but either its very hard or I need a lot more practice using Gimp (Perhaps both).

 

If there is any super keen skinner out there, I challenge you to replace the roundels with kiwis... like this: Image result for kiwi airforce

Image result for kiwi airforce

(I would love to make these pictures not so obnoxiously big, but I have no idea how to use this forum either)

 

I think this would look awesome and set me apart from all you foreigners out there. No offense, but I'm a very proud kiwi :)

Thanks everyone!

 

Salute!

Stumble.

 


Assuming I am remembering correct, when you double click the image you get presented with a dialogue box that allows you to change the image size in your post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mhmmm perhaps a Spad or Camel...

 

I mean if you don't spending your time on it, thanks a lot!! Otherwise I could learn how to do it myself. Are there any tutorials you can link me to?

 

S!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

First off, big thanks too @Gooseh for all your help.

 

Secondly, can i have your honest opinions on this Kiwi skin thing I have going on. I think I like It, but I think I've seen someone on these forums with it before. And I'm not sure if I feel right to use it too, considering he had it going first. I cant remember who it was tho...

 

Here's a spad I had a go at. Any suggestions?

 

20200417211909-1.jpg

20200417212103-1.jpg

20200417212116-1.jpg

 

 

 

 

Cheers,

Stumble

 

Edited by Stumble
Fixed image size
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ATAG_kiwiflieger said:

That looks pretty neat :)

Opp you're the one lol. I can make some changes 😆

 

What do we think about this kiwi? I wish the wings weren't purple...

Flying-Kiwi-Purple-Wings.jpg

It still looks very similar tho... Anyone have any Ideas for another NZ related thing I could use?

Edited by Stumble
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So... After a very very long time of mucking around in Photoshop I found out how useless I am at it. I get there in the end, but very slowly.

 

Anyways, this is what I came up with. I will change the kiwi since its stolen from ATAG_Kiwiflieger, but the rest I actually don't mind too much.

20200418004505-1.jpg

20200418004527-1.jpg

20200418004703-1.jpg

20200418004803-1.jpg

The changes I made:

- Replaced roundels with NZ Kiwi designs. Top and Bottom.

- Placed a Kiwi on the side

- Added 'S' for Stumble on the sides and top. Not sure why, but I saw that other people do it and it makes it look fancy.

- Painted the cowling red

- And as inspired by Gooseh, I changed the wheels to red and added the RNZAF symbol thingy on the tail.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Honest opinions are welcome (But try not damage my ego too much).

 

One problem I have is there's this glossy film on the top... it makes reflections with light look real funny from the cockpit view. You can see that here:

20200418004450-1.jpg

20200418010218-1.jpg

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm using Photoshop CS6.

 

 

S!

 

On second thoughts maybe I don't like the look of these wheels... It looked awesome on a Camel. But its 1am so I'm off to bed. Thanks everyone for the help :)

Edited by Stumble
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid the Russian Design bureau didn't do a very good job with the templates for FC.  The ones I've seen and worked on have been very slapdash to say the least. 

Some other templates have had some 'work' done to them in the alpha channel. A quick look at the Spad 13 seems it's a fair bit lighter that others, resulting in those very glossy surfaces.

 

Spad left, Camel right.

 

compare.thumb.jpg.c580714131dd2b30da10488db0c449f8.jpg

Edited by Gooseh
Link to post
Share on other sites

AS JJ siad, its your alpha. You need to darken the paint layers to a value somewhere above 5 and under 25. Dont go too far though as the normal map likes a little shine to show off its lumps and bumps. 

 

The images shown above show that the weathering has also been added to the alpha for the camel in addition. 

Edited by BOO
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stumble said:

It still looks very similar tho... Anyone have any Ideas for another NZ related thing I could use?

 

2 hours ago, BOO said:

you could always use the Fern if the flying Kiwi bothers you

 

 

fern.png


One of our guys is an Australian Austrian Kiwi. His personal marking is a silver fern as well. I believe Keith Caldwell also marked one of his S.E's with a silver fern on the tail...

23BVa19h.png

 

I can only speak from personal taste, but I'd leave the RNZAF roundels off - seeing as they're Post-WW2 and all - but I like my personal skins to be 'plausible' for the time period. I think it's really easy to do 'too much' when painting your own ship - and I've had to strip my own designs back quite a bit in the past! Luckily, 3PG has a pretty firm stance on skins which keeps me in check. 

The RFC XIIIs had a pretty distinctive scheme on them (produced by the Kellner factory), though, which might give you some 'recognisability'! 


sGqYxShf_2aeKqmeMTp5YaiPsdjXPP6Ju2os2Sbl

 

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

I can only speak from personal taste, but I'd leave the RNZAF roundels off - seeing as they're Post-WW2 and all - but I like my personal skins to be 'plausible' for the time period. I think it's really easy to do 'too much' when painting your own ship - and I've had to strip my own designs back quite a bit in the past! Luckily, 3PG has a pretty firm stance on skins which keeps me in check. 

So do you mean the RNZAF symbol on the tail, or the kiwi roundels on the wings? 

 

I get what you mean with over doing it. It's way too easy to get carried away lol.

 

I'll give changing the alpha layer a go. Hopefully that makes it a bit better.

 

S!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stumble said:

So do you mean the RNZAF symbol on the tail, or the kiwi roundels on the wings? 

 

I get what you mean with over doing it. It's way too easy to get carried away lol.

 

I'll give changing the alpha layer a go. Hopefully that makes it a bit better.

 

S!


if it was my ship - both...I tend to dodge anything post-ww1 hahah 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, US93_Larner said:


if it was my ship - both...I tend to dodge anything post-ww1 hahah 

Fair enough. My one problem is that NZ didn't have an air Force during WW1. Instead New Zealanders flew for the RFC, RNAS and RAF. But you're right, I should keep it somewhat historicaly accurate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stumble said:

But you're right, I should keep it somewhat historicaly accurate.

Well, I preach historical aesthetic  pretty hard - Buuuuuut, I'm also of the belief that you get to do exactly what you want with your ship! Do what you think looks good 😉

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, US93_Larner said:

One of our guys is an Australian Austrian Kiwi. His personal marking is a silver fern as well. I believe Keith Caldwell also marked one of his S.E's with a silver fern on the tail...

 

Harold Beamish another New Zealander also used the fern.

 

WSF Sopwith Camel N6377

 

1 hour ago, Stumble said:

But you're right, I should keep it somewhat historicaly accurate.

 

Second the rest that Larner states also. I also tend to prefer skins to have some historical plausibility and did note the "futuristic" crest and cockades. But being personal skins they are for you (and perhaps your wing-mates) not us. So make the plane yours. If someone else has any problem with them, then who cares, they do not have to install them if its such a problem to them, simples. 🙂

 

10 hours ago, Stumble said:

What do we think about this kiwi? I wish the wings weren't purple...

 

Then change them. 😉

 

untitled.thumb.png.b34e12fa44651712c8dd98582e1c1633.png

 

Am using the latest version of Photoshop. Can change the colour in various methods. For this example I just used the "replace colour" feature. Also could just use the regular paintbrush/pencil with the mode changed to linear dodge or subtract to increase/decrease the RGB values to get to the colour you desire. Am sure something similar exists for your version also. https://planetphotoshop.com/replace-color.html

Edited by Oliver88
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey would you look at that! Thanks Oliver!

 

Does it still look too similar to Kiwifleigers one... mhmmm.

 

Also, what do you guys think about changing the tail fin colors? Since the Red, White and Blue are the national colors of the RAF, perhaps I could change it to be a bit more New Zealandish.

 

Maybe I'm over doing it.

 

4 minutes ago, ATAG_kiwiflieger said:

Don't worry about the kiwi icon Stumble, it's not mine - can't remember exactly where I found it but I'm pretty sure it was based on noseart from an RNZAF TBM Avenger.

These skins are looking awesome, keep up the good work :salute:

Cheers! I'll look for alternatives, but if not I'll not worry about it.

 

 

S!

Edited by Stumble
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stumble said:

Hey would you look at that! Thanks Oliver!

 

Does it still look too similar to Kiwifleigers one... mhmmm.

 

Also, what do you guys think about changing the tail fin colors? Since the Red, White and Blue are the national colors of the RAF, perhaps I could change it to be a bit more New Zealandish.

 

Maybe I'm over doing it.

 

S!

 

The colours are of anyone using a Red, White and Blue coloured cockade, not just the crabs, which also as per the Harvard on your original post includes the RNZAF. So I would say they are already perfectly New Zealand'ish. But again, make her yours, if you want them changed, change them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I get cool fonts which have a black border around the outside. I wanna see if that'll make the S look better.

 

Also, when you used replace color to change that purple, how did you get to not have the bits of purple around the edge? Do I need to go around with a brush to finish it off or is there some fancy setting I can use?

 

And where do I find the Alpha layer to change the darkness? Is that apart of weathering?

 

Cheers!

Edited by Stumble
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Stumble said:

How do I get cool fonts which have a black border around the outside. I wanna see if that'll make the S look better.

 

Also, when you used replace color to change that purple, how did you get to not have the bits of purple around the edge? Do I need to go around with a brush to finish it off or is there some fancy setting I can use?

 

Cheers!

 

I for the most part tend to hand make the fonts using the various paths and shape tools rather than with text tools. But one method (assuming the various features exists in your older version) you could use to create a border around characters would be to use the magic wand (or other selection tools) to create a selection around the text, then expand (in my version that's under select>modify>expand) that selection, create a new layer, and on this new layer bucket fill the selection with your border colour, lastly move that layer underneath your text layer and bam you have an outline.

 

As for the second question. The answer is in the link provided. Also should have mentioned in case but do not put your desired image onto the skin and then use the "replace colours" features to change the colour of the desired image, the entire skins colours are likely going to be effected, work on a copy of your desired image first, change the colours on that, then add the image onto your skin.

 

Quote

Step02.jpg

Next, choose the eyedropper with the plus sign to add to the selection. Tap on any areas of blue remaining to change them to yellow. (If you accidentally click in a spot you don’t want to change, hit command/control-Z to undo.)

 

Edited by Oliver88
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I managed to fix the alpha layer gloss problem.

 

This is it with the modified kiwi that Oliver gave me (Thanks :) )

20200418120938-1.jpg

 

In all honesty, I don't like it as much as the old one... But I think its cause it looks too animated. What can I do to make it seem as if its painted on? Perhaps darken it and somehow add weathing over the top?

 

Edited by Stumble
Fixed image link
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well here we go. I changed the letters a bit and changed the saturation of the kiwi to make it look a little more painted on. It still looks a bit funny but its enough for me.

20200418130156-1.jpg

And with the whole historical realism thing, I think I'm gonna keep the roundels and RNZAF symbol thing on the tail. This skin is fictional, and i like the idea of having kiwis all around the place. I mean what can I say, we're a proud people :)


And how does It work with multiplayer? Is there some bundle I need to add it to?

 

S!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stumble said:

And how does It work with multiplayer? Is there some bundle I need to add it to?

 

S!


Well firstly just provide a download link here (google docs, media fire, whatever) for anyone to download your skin should they want to. Secondly should you wish @GCF manages a skin pack that you could get your skins added to whenever the next volume releases;

For others to see your skin they need to have the skin on their computer also and named in the same way. If the skin is a 4K one rather than 2k then they also need to have to 4K skins option enabled in their graphic settings.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed a lot of people only want historical skins in MP... So I'll make some changes to this one. I guess I'll keep the insignia thing on the side, but I'll get rid of the kiwi roundels and RNZAF badge things on tail. I guess I'll keep the Kiwi, red cowling + wheels and the lettering, but I think I'm gonna change the font to something a bit more WW1'ish.

 

S!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stumble said:

I've noticed a lot of people only want historical skins in MP... So I'll make some changes to this one. I guess I'll keep the insignia thing on the side, but I'll get rid of the kiwi roundels and RNZAF badge things on tail. I guess I'll keep the Kiwi, red cowling + wheels and the lettering, but I think I'm gonna change the font to something a bit more WW1'ish.

 

S!

 

hi i think you are worrying to much, its your personal skin should be just like you want it, All personal skins, are hollywood skins, so if no one downloads them, there missing out, if you want have 2 skins, one personal, one historical, if it is your personal skin, why not have it like you want ? all squadrons, have mostly hollywood skins. just my thoughts, anyway i like the kiwi and the silver fern. Great skin by the way !

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too sure how the bundle works... but here is the updated file/name. Its still a fictional skin, so only download if you want. I'm happy with it for now. I just like having something different then default.

 

Name: Z_Spad13_Stumble_Kiwi

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n0ha411j6waho6p/Z_Spad13_Stumble_Kiwi.dds/file

 

S!

 

PS cheers Paul for the bundle. You're doing an awesome job!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...