Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 245 - Discussion

Hey everybody! 

We hope you are hanging in there and staying healthy! While we're stuck inside our homes trying not to get sick I thought you'd enjoy some footage of our improved airframe damage model in action. These clips show how our wings are much stronger than before and how our improved damage calculations cause a myriad of failures that can bring down a plane, or in some cases, maybe allow you to limp home...

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 12
  • Thanks 14
  • Upvote 6

Posted (edited)

First!!!! FINALLY!!! :yahoo:

I was reading Jason´s answers in the Russian forum .... :popcorm:

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-

"Before the end of March" is much sooner than I was expecting for the update, glad to hear it's on its way. Hope the team are doing well.

• Like 1

thanks so much for this!!! im really exited to see this in game!!! also, i really like these video commentaries !! :salute:

Looking good guys!

Loved that kill by the Tempest. Looking forward to see the new DM in action. Stay healthy!

Temp1.jpg

Temp2.jpg

Jason, does this work affect airframe strength with ground impacts? Contrary to the wings 'folding up like a cheap suitcase', as you put it, I'm always surprised how shot down aircraft going down in a shallow dive can hit the ground and then slide along intact (more or less) without exploding or breaking up.

Very good DM ! Thank you very much ! To make more entertainment & easy our safety home stay with the simulators ! 

1 minute ago, Zappatime said:

Jason, does this work affect airframe strength with ground impacts? Contrary to the wings 'folding up like a cheap suitcase', as you put it, I'm always surprised how shot down aircraft going down in a shallow dive can hit the ground and then slide along intact (more or less) without exploding or breaking up.

I have seen planes do different things in crashes during our testing. You'll still get a variation, but we did not focus on what happens when they hit the ground per se. Our focus was on weapons and combat. But I flew a 109 into the ground yesterday and he hit and skidded and fell apart. As you see in the video the P-47 hits and skids and the wings collapse. We can't model aluminum bending and breaking like a real plane so there is only so much we can do. We try to calculate whether a plane skids, breaks up or blows up. Not a whole lot of choices and a lot of it is dictated by physics not necessarily our damage model.

Jason

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6

Looks fantastic! Love the format, too - the video was a nice touch. 

Very much looking forward to seeing how the damage model affects the P-51 (which I think is too strong) and the P-38 (which I think is too weak, especially the elevator). Thanks again!

Fantastic video, I loved every minute of it. Beware the ides of march, old DM!

Salutations,

It is most satisfying to acknowledge that the development team actually does respond to perceived problems reported by the player base. :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Looking really good; very similar to real gun camera footage IMHO. Very much looking forward to this update. Nice work Team. 

Looks awesome Jason... I have been sticking with the P-47 as it is my favourite... looks like I will like it even more now! :D

Stay safe all and best wishes in this tough time!

Super cool video, I like this format!

Thanks for the DM part 1 update Jason. The results look good.

Stay safe everyone. 📈📉

• Upvote 1

I filmed it in Alt-F2 view so you can better see the impact without the cockpit obstructing the view on deflection shooting. That is why the camera angle is not from the cockpit view.

Jason

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the vid, looks like great stuff is coming again.

Have a nice day and be safe.

:salute:

Most excellent DD!

:good:

Thank you for taking the time to create this video and doing this for us!

I can tell , my kill ratio on those 190's will certainly go down - used to love sawing their wings off.

Should be a lot of fun!

Thanks a lot for this, looks really promising!

A minor question - it is mentioned in the video that damage modelling for the engine was turned off in order to focus on air-frame damage susceptibility. Does this include fuel tank as well? Because probably there should be more fuel tank fires.

Anyhow, stay safe, stay healthy.

Jason,

Great video as I believe these images go much further than written descriptions.  Looking forward to having these improvements in the next release.  By the way, stay safe and healthy, as this is a most frightful and confusing time in the world’s history.

Love the new effects, this is going to be awesome.

Stay safe and thanks, Dev team!

That look super promising. Soo looking forward to this!
And I'm extremly curious on how this will affect the FC planes.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, [RBRI]Khaela said:

And I'm extremly curious on how this will affect the FC planes.

As am I.

Anyway thanks for the video Jason, it looks to be a great improvement to what is already a fantastic product.

Hope you all stay safe and well.

Posted (edited)

The video looks good!   I do wonder if there will be times where minor hits will still cause unexpected results.  I'm sure it was rare IRL, but I would venture a guess that more than once, a weak hit in a vital area would cause a severely disproportional result. 

In other words, I wonder how well this new damage system will still preserve the reality that it might only take one bullet or piece of shrapnel without over(or under)doing it.  

Edited by 69th_Mobile_BBQ

Very very nice!

I am still however wondering about coolant trails: there was a relatively low quantity of coolant on the inline engine equipped aircraft (20/30l?) and when a shell/bullet severed the line, the glycol fumes were nicely white but very short-lived (less than a minute I would say) which does not seem the case...It has been an issue since the first Il2...When the fume stops, the engine dies...

Some later 109 were equipped with coolant cutoffs but then the fumes should disappear very quickly.

I have liked in the video the appearance sometimes of two types of fumes together, white (glycol) and grey (oil or fire)!

Nice work!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I filmed it in Alt-F2 view so you can better see the impact without the cockpit obstructing the view on deflection shooting. That is why the camera angle is not from the cockpit view.

Jason

Great vid bud!  Would have been even better in no cockpit mode like good ole IL2.  Wish you guys could pull that off since i think many of us would really appreciate it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Halleluyah!! Looks great. I personally had got very fed up with the incessant de-winging. Looks to be a much more varied set of results now. Very believable looking. Was great seeing several planes go out of controlled flight and into spins when control surfaces were shot off.

Also, contrary to what someone said earlier saw at least two fuel tank fires - intense white flame - looks great.

Many thanks for this. 

Edited by kendo

Finally no more cartoonish RC planes falling apart like cards....Looking at the video it looks much more like in real guncam footage, planes can take a lot of damage (sturdier and bigger even more) and there are fires often...Im very pleased.

Also its amazing that you are still working in this harsh times. Thank you.

• Like 2

Excellent work. One of my favourite things about this series is the constant polishing of it as time goes by. A clear labour of love.

That looks great! Really looking forward for the next patch! Great job!

Any and all DM revs/upgrades are welcome, even though results will vary I suspect.

Most of us probably have their own complaints about damage modelling which is caused by our own sp/mp experiences.  For me AI planes are far too robust in action, since they don`t disengage until critical dmg or out of coolant or fuel. That in intself often takes very long time and often there are several if not more planes in the air that would seem to be visually disabled , are just endlessly trailing smoke but still shooting at one another. As a result, any AI plane that did nit hot the ground might turn on the player and attack him at any time, not very realistic.