Developer Diary 244 - Discussion

Han

34 minutes ago, Beebop said:

@kendo

Nobody asked you to like it. 

Nobody is making you download it. 

Nobody is making you use it.

Don't go anywhere near my Hack Shack thread.  You'll build a gallows for me.

I did visit it once by accident, and never quite got over the shock....    😉

BlitzPig_EL
25 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Continuing to prove that everything looks better with Invasion Stripes

Heretic!!!!  No aircraft looks better with those hideous stripes slathered all over them.

😁😁

11 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Heretic!!!!  No aircraft looks better with those hideous stripes slathered all over them.

😁😁

Are you sure?

Fake_P-51B.JPG.jpg.c760e9b1ce6589a043e7d0ba42cf0f7a.jpg

I mean I am, it's just that I like spreading this image around to ruin peoples' day.

von Tom

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kendo said:

I did visit it once by accident, and never quite got over the shock....    😉

Since day 1 of the original game back in 2001 there have been hacks.  One of the first hacks I ever saw was the Blemhiem MK.IV painted like a USAAF plane and used as a placeholder for the B-25!

Maps were hacked for Chris Blair's "Blue Sky White Sun" AVG campaigns and Kuban (again) was used for several BoB campaigns..

In this game Kuban is also used for BoB missions, Pacific missions and North Africa missions.

It's an IL-2 tradition.  It doesn't make them "abominations" as you and others have so inaptly put.

That's all this is, just placeholders.  When the C-47 becomes flyable my Iron Annie hack will become needless.  When Battle of Normandy is released Kuban will not longer be used to simulate BoB missions.  If a North Africa/Pacific DLC is released all current map hacks hacks become moot and there will be no need to hack La-5's into Zeros or Stuka's into Val's.

What I don't understand is why people get so upset over placeholding.  If you don't like it, don't use it. 

kendo, you went to my Hack Shack thread and were less than impressed, OK.  That's your right.  As a result I guess you won't visit it again.  Fine.  I'm not going to make you visit. 

I know my stuff isn't for everybody.  I knew that going in.  But I also knew that there would be people who might like what I do and it's for them, not the purists, that I make these skins.

Now I think I/we have hijacked this thread enough.  Back to discussing the Dev's Diary.

• Thanks 1

Then my deepest apologies.  I suppose it's a sign of the times to think that every perceived negative comment is meant as an actual slam.

I was wrong.  I'm sorry.

BlitzPig_EL

I helped Chris test his AVG campaign.  I use Stalingrad summer as a stand in for North Africa, and if we had the aircraft, I would use Kuban as a stand in for New Guinea.  I do have some Japanese skins to make a Ki61 stand in out of the MC 202.  I'm not averse to "stand ins", but wow, the Ju 52 is tough to accept as a C47, but it is all we have if you want player flyable USAAF transport.

RedKestrel
2 hours ago, von_Tom said:

Are you sure?

Fake_P-51B.JPG.jpg.c760e9b1ce6589a043e7d0ba42cf0f7a.jpg

I mean I am, it's just that I like spreading this image around to ruin peoples' day.

von Tom

The canopy just gives it character.

25 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

the Ju 52 is tough to accept as a C47, but it is all we have if you want player flyable USAAF transport.

I agree and my point exactly.  Not having a flyable C-47 for the Normandy map would be a travesty IMO.  I know the Devs are saying it's a "Post Invasion" map but they know that it will be used to simulate D-Day and the days immediately following.  Tank Crew owners will have a field day with that map playing D-Day+ missions. 

Besides, you need to get men and materials to the front all during the war, don't you?

Here's crossing my fingers for that....🤞

Edited by Beebop

III./SG77-K_Bobo

That Buchon 109 painted up like a Mustang is the weirdest thing I've seen in awhile, thanks for that!

II/JG17_HerrMurf
On 3/15/2020 at 1:10 PM, Yogiflight said:

Answer of Han will be: OK, we'll do it in one week:salute:

No, Han is in on the joke. He's dropped a "two weeks," more than once in a reply.