127Tom

Your game takes too much space!

I have bought four of your modules (games). And now when I reinstalled I don't have any more space to install the game.
I have an SSD with 111 GB, and after a clean windows install and that since your game now takes 51(!!!)GB on my hard drive I don't have enough space to install it.

Can you please do so that I can choose which modules / games to install? Right now I just wants to play Flying Circus and Bodenplatte. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

You think that's too much? Red Dead Redemption 2 takes 150 GB of space. Welcome to modern gaming - you will need more than a 100 GB hard drive to take part. Buy a slower mechanical drive and keep Windows on the SSD if you can.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

LOL, once upon a time 5GB was massive for a game...not any more at all. Biggest on my system at the moment: Forza Horizon 88 GB, IL2 1946 BAT 89GB, X-Com2 74 GB, Kingdom Come Deliverance 66GB, Divinity Original Sin 2 & TW Warhammer 2 both 55 GB.... nah, BoX is just fine.

Guess you aren't going to be wanting MS Flight Sim 2020 which will probably be something like 300+ GB full detail scenery? LOL

Time to face facts....  Whatever computer you are trying to fly IL-2 on is no longer capable of doing so.  

• Upvote 1

50gb is super low for the amount of content you get out of every expansion. Hell my DCS world install is 110 gb with 7 planes and 2 maps. 

17 hours ago, 127Tom said:

Can you please do so that I can choose which modules / games to install?

I feel the same. Pushing all content into players computers, irrespective of whether they want that is lame IMO. Having to buy ever larger hard drives just to accommodate unwanted content is a waste of money and resources.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

How would you handle objects, i.e. planes, tanks, etc., from other "modules" when used on the "module" map you own?  Within Bodenplatte you may have a mission to attack a group of German Tiger Tanks.  If all modules aren't merged and you didn't own TC, you wouldn't see the tanks.  As it is now, you see them regardless of "module" ownership.  In mp, planes from many modules may be in a Bodenplatte map.  You wouldn't see these aircraft if the modules were not merged.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, 127Tom said:

Can you please do so that I can choose which modules / games to install? Right now I just wants to play Flying Circus and Bodenplatte. 

Don't worry, mate. I'm sure, they have noticed your concern and will implement this right away - they are especially happy to do it for you,

because - actually - they are way too bored at the moment...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Technology marches on, people. The more advanced the game, the more disk space it's going to need.

On a side note, this reminds a bit of the outrage many had when publishers started putting their games on DVDs. Cue the responses of "What???!!! Why do I need a confounded DVD drive to install this, when my CD drive has been working just fine!"

58 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

And plain old mechanical drives are also dirt cheap. A cursory look at Amazon shows many 1TB drives retailing for under 50 bucks.

18 hours ago, 127Tom said:

I have an SSD with 111 GB

111GB? Sorry, but that is just way too small if you plan on using your computer for gaming.

Edited by LukeFF

59 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Aw man I was going to start selling SSDs for $449.99 and advertise it as a steal! Then you ruined it with your facts.

• Haha 3

On 3/12/2020 at 12:40 PM, 352ndOscar said:

Time to face facts....  Whatever computer you are trying to fly IL-2 on is no longer capable of doing so.  

It sure does. I run it on ultra and it's smooth as butter. Heard of upgrading CPU and GPU and RAM?
Btw, I found a solution: In the copies folder while it updates it keeps both the packed and unpacked file. Just delete the packed files after they are unpacked while it installs
And you will save about 30 GB. 

On 3/12/2020 at 4:13 AM, unlikely_spider said:

You think that's too much? Red Dead Redemption 2 takes 150 GB of space. Welcome to modern gaming - you will need more than a 100 GB hard drive to take part. Buy a slower mechanical drive and keep Windows on the SSD if you can.

RDR2 is a horrible ported PC port. They could have easily compressed it down to around 50 GB.
The problem with il2 Sturmovik is like you have 5 games in one game. It's getting too huge.
But if you read my previous post I found a way to save GB and manage the install :) 
The game just take around 30 GB now. It's just bad management of their install: they keep both their packed and unpacked files as it install.
And after the install they don't delete the packed files (which you don't need).

So, I was right afterall ;)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's 2020. Game are going to be bigger and I would much prefer more fidelity then smaller file size.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 gb? that's too much. Try to clean the game files like records and such. 

Btw, even with 50 gb that would be considered "little" nowadays

It's time for the OP to up graded his SSD, I guess he's got a 128GB drive. A drive that size is only really good for OS and some other apps. Not really suitable for games, unless you're playing roblox and minecraft.

I bet there are not many places selling 128GB drives now, time to get a 500GB SSD drive.

I just bought a 500gb Crucial SSD for 50 bucks, most games nowadays are over 50gb, and many are approaching, or over 100gb. Its time to buy more storage bud

51 GB is something but not a lot considering the amount of content. Compare with DCS World for example.

Actually I think the Second Coming of the IL-2 Series is optimised pretty well. I wasn't ever able to run the old series that well even on new hardware before the game was well into 10 years old.

BoX runs smoothly on my, by now very, very entry-level gaming laptop, and I can even have a lot more AI planes in the air than I can in RoF. I do run BoX at slightly lower gfx settings though.

If you guys don't mind having your HDDs spammed with content you don't need, fine.

One related annoyance is having to wait for updates of several gb volume to install on the one squad evening we have per week, knowing that it's just spam. I'll never care about tanks, yet here they are, LOL. These updates are never announced in advance, so we can't plan our squad evening around them. Many updates lead to server downtime, ruining our session completely :(

2 hours ago, JG27_PapaFly said:

One related annoyance is having to wait for updates of several gb volume to install on the one squad evening we have per week, knowing that it's just spam. I'll never care about tanks, yet here they are, LOL. These updates are never announced in advance, so we can't plan our squad evening around them. Many updates lead to server downtime, ruining our session completely :(

You moaned about this several months ago and your squad is still not organised enough or have the initiative to check the game for updates in advance of when you fly?

You know you own a game that is constantly updated but don't have the where withall to check the developer diaries that track update progress?

:blink: 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

your squad is still not organised enough or have the initiative to check the game for updates in advance of when you fly?

To the contrary, we are perfectly organized. We have challenging full time jobs, families, kids, houses, gardens, lots of daily real life chores, and we still manage to hold our weekly squad session. The amount of time we have available for flying IL-2 amounts to around 3 hours per week. On our squad day we return home from our daily commute just in time to fire up our computers and start flying. Unfortunately, or sessions have been ruined quite often by unannounced updates.

@127Tom I, despite others are kinda with you on this. Like, if you’re a ETO or PTO, or WW1 person and just want that, and due to PC space don’t want Japanese or European planes or WW1, or WW2 planes then I get that as though I have twice as much space on my SSD than you, I was at one point getting low and had to delete my modded IL-2 1946. For me, I would want to delete FC aircraft and or Arras map from my computer due to PC space reasons.

But yeah if you’re getting low on SSD space then just delete some other games or files that you don’t want, or just get more space for your SSD. E.g 150 GB max to 200 GB max on SSD.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JG27_PapaFly said:

To the contrary, we are perfectly organized. We have challenging full time jobs, families, kids, houses, gardens, lots of daily real life chores, and we still manage to hold our weekly squad session.

LOL, please. Everyone has busy schedules. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to check the forums and see if there's an update before you launch the game. Heck, you can have announcements about game updates sent to your phone. How more easy do you want it to be?

Edited by LukeFF
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

LOL, please. Everyone has busy schedules. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to check the forums and see if there's an update before you launch the game. Heck, you can have announcements about game updates sent to your phone. How more easy do you want it to be?

Don't bother Luke. Some people don't find the time because they don't want to. Curiously, the same people are having always issues with other things.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

and due to PC space don’t want Japanese or European planes or WW1, or WW2 planes

What do you think needs a lot of space? Planes? Or maps? (Of which you can use all in MP.)

OP has a point, though. The only reason this sim can get away with shoving down customer's throat content he has zero interest in is relatively small size. Total folder size of 35,5 gigs for all offical content is small compared to 180+ gigs in DCS (if one chooses to buy and install everything there). That being said, the game is expanding and patch after patch, DLC after DLC each player is going to have more gigs of data on his drive he's never going to use.

No matter how big or cheap SSDs are, it's a rather sloppy structure of this software - a legacy of the first iteration from Loft's era I presume, unlikely to be rewrtitten anytime soon, but still...

• Haha 1

I also have a space problem:

If I order and install TANKS , does it enter in IL directory and  what size/space it adds  to the 4 IL 2  , on my ssd ?

I have only about 35 gigs free now,  not far from the   safe limit ;  I regularly remove pictures and films and send them to he old HD where I also moved RoF...............

3 minutes ago, Bonnot said:

I also have a space problem:

If I order and install TANKS , does it enter in IL directory and  what size/space it adds  to the 4 IL 2  , on my ssd ?

I have only about 35 gigs free now,  not far from the   safe limit ;  I regularly remove pictures and films and send them to he old HD where I also moved RoF...............

If you order a new item / module then you get the access / credentials to use and play the new item. As far as I know, your installation has already all the

items and modules. With your purchase items and modules will be unlocked for you. So you shouldn't have any additional space necessary.

should have a 2nd seperate SSD just for games only anyways 

just like most been doing for 20 years with normal HDD you dont play games and the same drive windows is running.
since like windows xp :D

also as mentioned above.

weather you only own IL2 : BOS or all the packs the game folder size is exactly the same

everything is installed when you install game regardless of content owned. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks Therion and Schatten,

I'd  this good surprise when loading BoK, BoS and BoM on Bodenplatte ,  I thought TANKS was another stuff.....

I'll now consider the Beasts with intentions 😆

Edited by Bonnot
modify

4 minutes ago, Bonnot said:

I'll now consider the Beasts with intentions

You won't regret - still early access but absolutely worth it!

I saw some free stuff which look interesting but  (for my taste )  it is too much EastFront-only,  has no real ground opponents and is still missing the quick-battle option....

So true , it is early access and very promising and desserves to receive help,  I agree and  will certainly move in within weeks.

Right now I'm still trying to understand the logic of this Forum,  fly all the planes I got in only 2 months and try all the wonderful options i slowly discover !

Thanks for help _ I certainly soon ask for more .

On 3/11/2020 at 6:57 PM, 127Tom said:

I have bought four of your modules (games). And now when I reinstalled I don't have any more space to install the game.
I have an SSD with 111 GB, and after a clean windows install and that since your game now takes 51(!!!)GB on my hard drive I don't have enough space to install it.

buy another drive, SSD or HD and leave OS on the one you have now.  Install game on new drive............. easy peasy....

My set up is a bit overkill......... I have a 300GB SSD with OS on it, a 1TB M2 SSD with games on it and a 500GB Raptor HD with all my back up stuff on it.  My game drive still has 739GB left on it.... So come on Jason lets fill this bad boy up with GB goodies...   And if you buy BoBP I do believe all the other content of GB is there, but you only get to use the planes available on BoBP, so it doesn't matter if you just want the Rhineland map and planes.. 

Hoss

Posted (edited)

OK. I am a bit puzzled now.   I was about to put BoS onto my 120Gb SSD and checked the size of the game folder using properties and it told me it was taking up 250Gb  so I abandoned the idea.  It says the DATA folder alone is 100Gb.   How am I getting those figures?

203280905_IL2FolderSize.jpg.a10c013b3591e056e2735454501ea471.jpg

ADDENDUM

I have discovered that more than half of that was Screenshots and videos (I had set that folder as the destination for GeForce videos)
I still have an issue with DATA taking up 86Gb but I am sure I can track that down.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Take a look at your Tracks folder too. 

Crap, what all you have crammed into yours Roblex, mine show 54.5Gb.  My DCS file is at 120Gb........... 

Hoss

And don't forget the trillion of custom skins you may have - they're also nestled in the DATA folder.

• Upvote 1

StoreBror's remarks along these lines when i asked about souping up my 10 year old game PC. "That's trying to bring life into a Dinosaur".

So i decided to build a new one. Only my wallet complained.

My windows boots from a 1TB SSD, with IL2 on the same drive from a separate gaming folder.

I never install other stuff than windows on my boot-C, so that reinstalling it is a matter of minutes in case Microsuck update screws up my system once again.

But if you're on a laptop you will have to use an external 3.0 drive with a separate controller.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:23 PM, -=-THERION said:

You won't regret - still early access but absolutely worth it!

Now with the prospect of 3 months constraint  at least  ( if I survive to the end... ) , I'll  extend my hobby ....

But  the choice is difficult :  from what I read and I see, TC is a superb child,  but how long to grow up  it  will take ?

My question is :  what is actually available now  ?

the films and pictures look splendid but  what is really  playable  or where is it possible to watch TC in action ?

( I use Mouse and most multi look closed to this or to spectate only .

From what I saw the country looks empty  (from any form of life) and is just annoying in a Flightsim is really missing at ground level......

so are there any places better than those in the free demo ?

Thanks for help