PatrickAWlson

PWCG for Flying Circus

To install:

Update or install Java

Set logging on in your game

Unzip into the main folder of your Great Battles install

Run PWCGFC.exe

First step is to specify planes owned.

After that create a campaign (it is a step by step work flow - takes about 2 minutes)

Create a mission

Fly the mission

Submit an AAR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have not yet flown any of the F.C. aircraft in any meaningful manner as of yet Pat so your utility is most welcome, I already use it for WWII Europe so I will now take the plunge for the earlier conflict and see just what I have been missing since I last played R.O.F.;)

This utility will most likely be the place to go for the foreseeable future as far as playing F.C. goes, it is unclear whether the development team will provide a career mode any time soon.

Thank you very much, your work is really appreciated.:drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Hi Pat

Thx very much for this, I've been looking forward to giving it a go, when you say "Set logging on in your game" - where exactly do I do that?

cheers

1 minute ago, Daedallus said:

Hi Pat

Thx very much for this, I've been looking forward to giving it a go, when you say "Set logging on in your game" - where exactly do I do that?

cheers

Open startup.cfg in the game's data directory.

Look for mission_text_log

mission_text_log = 1

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

To install:

Update or install Java

Set logging on in your game

Unzip into the main folder of your Great Battles install

Run PWCGFC.exe

First step is to specify planes owned.

After that create a campaign (it is a step by step work flow - takes about 2 minutes)

Create a mission

Fly the mission

Submit an AAR

Completely new. Could you provide a little more specifics about the install. I unzip the files, which creates a folder called PWCFGC 7.0.0. I move that into the Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad folder (within the Steam Common directory). I go inside the PWCFGC 7.0.0 folder. In there is a PWCFGC folder and inside there is the executable. When I run it, it says the program isn't installed in the proper directory. So I move PWCFGC out of the PWCFGC 7.0.0 folder and put it in the BOS folder along with bin and data. Now it runs and I can build something, but it never shows up in the game menus to select. I suspect some of the other files within the PWCFGC folder need to be moved somewhere else (into the data folder?).

Just the PWCFGC  goes into the  Il-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad folder.  You don't want the PWCFGC 7.0.0 folder that is generated as a result of the unzip.  If you are using 7z it is "unzip here".  The correct folder structure is in the zip file.  Having just the PWCFGC  folder will solve the error message.

Then you create a campaign - looks like you have done that.  Then make sure to set mission_text_log = 1 in the game's startup.cfg file.  That will cause the game to spit out logs during the mission.  PWCG needs these for the combat report.

Now you create a mission.  Go through the flow.  Start by pressing mission.  Read the mission briefing on the chalk board. 

The next step of the briefing takes you to a map where you will see the mission route.  You can change most of the waypoints by left clicking and dragging on the map. If you change the objective waypoints too much there is a good chance that you will not see anything.  Game limitations prevent an infinite number of flights or a completely populated map.

The last step is the pilot selection page.  Click on a pilot in the flight to remove him.  Click on a pilot no tin the flight to add him.  Select add ons for the plane on the right side.  Select a new plane by clicking on the plane for pilots in the flight.

Accept the mission to actually create it.

Minimize PWCG and go to the game.  Go to "Missions".  Inside of "Missions" will be your PWCG mission.  It is easily recognizable as the mission name is your campaign name with the campaign date and basic mission type.  Fly that mission.

When that mission is completed return to PWCG.  Enter your campaign and press Combat Report.  Declare the number of victories and the type of each victory.  If you do not make any claims you will be not be awarded victories.  Do not over claim, as PWCG has a tendency to believe you.

Once that is done go through the debrief.  You will see tings that happened on the map and then be presented with reports that include medals awarded, newsworthy events, etc.  When you are done with the debrief the campaign moves forward in time.  Fly the next mission.

• Thanks 1

In game when I'm viewing the Mission Briefing, should I be able to see the waypoints and such that were set up in the mission building window? I see only the full Aras map; there are no lines or arrows or anything other than the printed description in the right pane. Also, when I start the mission and I'm sitting on the runway, I get an immediate message that says Primary Mission Completed. Is it mandatory that PWCF be minimized while running IL-2?

It is completely irrelevant whatever state this is in right now, I am just so jazzed to try it. Regardless once the full version of FC comes out and Pat has more to work with it'll only get better, in the meantime...a huge thank you to Pat for just getting it out the door! Super excited. Tally ho!

As a quick follow up though it says the skin files are missing even though I downloaded the latest pwcg skin pack. Do they not exist yet?

Ok, so first mission I had some issues: 1) I appeared behind a hanger and had to carefully make my way around it to get to the runway, though I have heard this happens occasionally in PWCG in any campaign so take that for what its worth, 2) It said "mission accomplished" before I even took off, 3) There were flight paths on the mission preview in PWCG but there was no "flight path" on the objective map in game though there were waypoints and my squadron seemed to obey the waypoints except... 4) My squadron abandoned the mission before reaching the intercept waypoints after flying for 20 minutes and just turned for home. So, I contend that this has great potential and I am still very excited for its release but it looks like its got a bit of polishing to be done before its ready for prime time. Let me know if I am supposed to have posted this elsewhere in a bug reporting area.

Edited by Modeus

Wanted to see whether you could choose to be RNAS in this version. Although I can choose to be a RNAS pilot no squadrons seem to be available to choose at any date. Although viewing the PWCG Information feature No 9 Squadron RNAS appears to be available on the minimum start date. Having a shuffle through the input/squadron files and I can see them in there also and using the Camel?

So unsure how come I cannot select No 9 Squadron RNAS to start my career with?

Edited by Oliver88

1. The Arras runways have been a PITA to put it mildly.  Give me the squadron and date and airfield and I'll play with the starting location.

2. I can only guess that the taxiing made the game think that you had landed, which is the one and only PWCG success criteria for a mission.

3. The lack of flight paths is a bit of a puzzle.  Flight paths appear just fine for BoS and PWCG isn't doing anything different ... which could be the problem.  

4. If you post the mission I can look at it.  I wonder if some of the missions are too long for WWI planes.  i reduced that some before I released but it still may be too long.  That is controllable in advanced settings but I want the default to be good out of the box.  Not sure why else a flight would quit a mission, as there is nothing in the mission that tells a flight to do that.

Appreciate the feedback.  First time integration with a new product is going to be a a bit rough at first but it will come around.

@Oliver88 Noted.  

For those that have never used PWCG before: I will patch this quickly.  Days or maybe next weekend at the latest.  I am done with sweeping changes for awhile.  The next bit of time is consolidation and maybe flying myself a little bit.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Pat, no worries.

Used PWCG back in my Rise of Flight days so used to yourself and the generator. Just not used in Great Battles until now. I've just been trying the WW2 one out also (have to be a damn Crab) and just got an error on that also. Going to post that in the regular place though not here.

Found the reason for the missing 9 RNAS also Pat. They are marked as being available for RFC pilots. I can see the same thing has occured to 5 RNAS also. I will sort the squadrons file in my copy for now. The service_id on these squadrons is incorrect.

Edited by Oliver88

Pat, thanks so much for replying to my feedback. To answer your question its no 19 Squadron RFC stationed at Grand Ruilecourt 1/08/2017 flying the sopwith dolphin. I think you're probably right about the taxiing making the game think the mission was complete, which might also explain why the rest of the squadron turned back before reaching the destination? I have sent the mission file, I'm assuming you just needed the json that was generated. Also, it says I'm missing 201 skins...are these bundled somewhere for FC?

Testing the water 1917-08-01.MissionData.zip

Edited by Modeus
Typo

Thanks Pat, love your work and am enjoying my multiple pilot careers I have working across BOS and now FC. I think I have a small bug for you. I have created a career in 56 squadron and was unable to assign skins for the lower half of pilots listed on the far right on the pilot screen as there is a brass plaque in the lower right which expands in size and overlays the lower half of the pilots so that I am unable to select them. Similarly, I am unable to select the plane on each individual pilots screen which I think should take me to skins selection also. The pilot photo (selection) just above does work however. I hope this makes sense. I am not sure if this is just a problem with 56 RFC or applies to all squadrons. Not a biggie to be sure, but I thought you might like to know.

Hello Pat

Tried out a couple of missions no issues noted, did the usual thing with increasing the AI numbers (gives it a real flying circus feel!) and didn't observe any effect on the frame rates.

Thanks again

WOW, I didn't expect you to finish this so quickly! :yahoo:

Many thanks, Pat! That's much appreciated.

Tried a few missions out so far and very immersive.Hopefully new stuff will be added to FC soon so that PWCG FC can be even more improved. Great work Pat!

I was getting bored with FC and found I wasn't flying very often. I was spending my time simming at Nordschleife instead. You've restored my interest. Sent you a couple of bucks to help out.

Ah thanks Pat. Makes sense about the skins. I'm just going to try and start a new campaign and see if I end up behind the hanger again. That other campaign was only one mission in so I don't care if I lose it.

EDITED: @PatrickAWlson I flew a new campaign mission just now with a different squadron and did not appear behind the hanger, however it still said mission objective complete before I even throttled up. Again, there were flight lines for the mission in PWCG but none in game, though there were waypoints. This time my squadron followed all waypoints, I got into an awesome scrum and limped back to base. So apart from a few wrinkles, an actual mission. It'll only get better once the bugs are ironed out but it was already an awesome experience. Thanks again!

Edited by Modeus
adding to post

Pat, I'm running the BoS version of PWCG... can I run thr FC one as well, or do I have to remove that one before using the FC version?

22 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Pat, I'm running the BoS version of PWCG... can I run thr FC one as well, or do I have to remove that one before using the FC version?

I'm running all three, BOS, BOBP, FC no problems.

7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

The install into separate directories and are meant to be run together.  There is no cross pollination between the BoS and FC installs.  The game will, of course create logs for both in the same directory but PWCG can figure it out.  

One thing to be careful of: running an AAR will delete log files.  If you fly BoS and then fly FC and then do a combat report in either all of the logs could be deleted and you will not be able to do a combat report in the other.  Solution is to fly, then do combat report, then fly the other and do that combat report.

Just wonderful stuff have not tried it yet but I know with what you have to work with will be good Thank you.

22 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The install into separate directories and are meant to be run together.  There is no cross pollination between the BoS and FC installs.  The game will, of course create logs for both in the same directory but PWCG can figure it out.  

One thing to be careful of: running an AAR will delete log files.  If you fly BoS and then fly FC and then do a combat report in either all of the logs could be deleted and you will not be able to do a combat report in the other.  Solution is to fly, then do combat report, then fly the other and do that combat report.

Thanks Pat!

Changed AAR to accommodate changes in logging. Made better use of damage records for victory calculation.
Changed AAR to eliminate records after mission finished, fixing issue of being shot down if finishing the mission in the air.
Changed bombers to keep formation and release all bombs at once when level bombing.
Updated Bodenplatte map images
Significant update to mission routing to ensure missoin box size is respected.
PWCG will now create msbin (binary mission) files, allowing for much faster load.
- Be aware that these files take up to 3 minutes to create.
- Occurs upon accepting a mission
- Can be disabled through Main->Configuration->User Preferences and then set create binary file to 0 (zero)
Bugs:
Fixed Tiger vehicle file.  Added code to automatically remove bad file.
Fixed excessing damage messages ind ebrief
Fixed smoke and buildings floating in some missions
Fixed reversal of American and British voices
- Air traffic is still Russian.  Will look  into that.
Fixed incorrect runway placement.  Planes were about 20 yards too far left.
Fixed no role for 2 seater squadrons on FC coop campaigns
Fixed cannot use pilot campaign after pilot death.  Verified that add pilot allows continuation.
Fixed pilot picture changes do not take effect until campaign is reloaded
Could not fix:
Mission flight path does not appear on Arras map for FC.  Created mission on ME (no PWCG involved) and path did not show.  Exact same construct worked properly on BoS maps.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

Rest of FC dropped.  Balloons are in.  WWI ground units are in.  Seasons on Arras map?  Not sure, but hopefully.

Will be working to make use of all of the new goodies over the weekend.  No ETA other than as soon as I can get it done, but not too long.  Maybe this weekend, maybe next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

On 11/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Changed AAR to accommodate changes in logging. Made better use of damage records for victory calculation.
Changed AAR to eliminate records after mission finished, fixing issue of being shot down if finishing the mission in the air.
Changed bombers to keep formation and release all bombs at once when level bombing.
Updated Bodenplatte map images
Significant update to mission routing to ensure missoin box size is respected.
PWCG will now create msbin (binary mission) files, allowing for much faster load.
- Be aware that these files take up to 3 minutes to create.
- Occurs upon accepting a mission
- Can be disabled through Main->Configuration->User Preferences and then set create binary file to 0 (zero)
Bugs:
Fixed Tiger vehicle file.  Added code to automatically remove bad file.
Fixed excessing damage messages ind ebrief
Fixed smoke and buildings floating in some missions
Fixed reversal of American and British voices
- Air traffic is still Russian.  Will look  into that.
Fixed incorrect runway placement.  Planes were about 20 yards too far left.
Fixed no role for 2 seater squadrons on FC coop campaigns
Fixed cannot use pilot campaign after pilot death.  Verified that add pilot allows continuation.
Fixed pilot picture changes do not take effect until campaign is reloaded
Could not fix:
Mission flight path does not appear on Arras map for FC.  Created mission on ME (no PWCG involved) and path did not show.  Exact same construct worked properly on BoS maps.

Is there an update to download or will automatically work when the mission is made