Sign in to follow this  
ATAG_Pattle

TFS Update 17 February, 2020 - Explosive New Land Weapon.

TFS 5.0 new land based weapon coming to the highly anticipated expansion to WW2 Battle of Britain flight simulation, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover.

eaturing the new North African Theatre covering the period December 1940 to Jun 1942.

Mission builders will love the added realism this new option will give in defending against land vehicle attacks on defended positions or simply patrolling outside of friendly zone. No new desert ground assets were destroyed in the making of this video!

All effects seen, including dust are WIP. Desert skins on land based vehicles will be in the released product.

Cheers,

Pattle

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I honestly do not see the point of this in the context of a flight simulator. Not when vehicles can't even cross a bridge...

Oh, I see now.

I watched this video this morning and thought it was showing me some new vehicles and dust effects.

Now I understand - landmines. Well done, that'll be super useful when we're playing an flight simulator. 🤨

• Haha 1

For those who complain I suggest the devs place a few of those on the airfields. So that they'll appreciate the feature, lol.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

It seems indeed a little low-priority, but heck, TF is trying to bring something new to the table when it comes to visuals so what the hell, I welcome it.

I'll say, though....  if there is spare time for this, why not a video with actual moving images of the Wellington, instead of pictures only? I am sure you guys can squeeze in one of those in the next week or two.

Edited by danielprates
  • Upvote 1

Looks good.  I hope Tank Crew will get inspired to do something similar one day.

I have some questions about this.

Are the mines placed individually in the editor or a "zone" you define? Are they objects that can be seen or a random number generator applied to an area? How is MP server performance with large areas of minefields? 

I too would much rather have seen the time spent on this update spent on the Wellington.

When is the new "fly" mod going to be teased? They had lots and lots of flies in the desert too.

Are they going to be 1 hit to kill weapon? Even with some heavy tanks getting blown up instantly? Or stronger vehicles will just get track destroyed and stay there to fire at enemy?

Also wonder how will AI react to this :P are they going to ignore it and just push forward or when mine blow up first vehicle, they will stop and try to go back and find way around mine field?

Edited by InProgress
  • Upvote 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:33 AM, No.54_Reddog said:

I honestly do not see the point of this in the context of a flight simulator. Not when vehicles can't even cross a bridge...

Given the complexity and the fluidity of desert warfare on the ground - modelling it well is a valuable part of recreating the fight in North Africa.

That said, the question about whether AI will be able to react... I'm not sure how triggers work in Cliffs (as there was a partly implemented more advanced trigger system than in '46... but I never really explored the mission editor properly).

@No.54_Reddog

The mines will work like the sea-based mines in game now. Place them individually in the FMB. Damage to vehicles will depend on what type of vehicle and how much explosives are put in the mine.

As for MP, we will be testing this to see what impact it will have.

Besides the obvious, I can see these as being an interesting addition for mission builders who want to protect certain airfields or objects from human controlled ground objects that have some type of mission importance with triggers.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The CoD series will always be focused primarily on player flown aircraft, but in order to create a detailed environment, we want to add detail to the land environment.

Land mines were a huge part of the war in North Africa.

The presence of mine fields shaped and funneled the direction of attacks and affected mobility.

Creating land mines was a relatively simple addition... did not require a lot of team time

TF would be remiss to omit them in the same way we would be remiss to omit the new vehicles.

The mines are placed individually... if players do some research, they will understand mines were not distributed evenly throughout a field... but primarily at the edges and often in widely separated rows.

We do plan to improve the player/vehicle experience and the player ability to command and direct vehicles and vehicle columns in the release and in subsequent patches.

This is part of the idea of creating an integrated air/land/sea environment.

We will present an update on the Wellingtons when we have the cockpits completed to the stage they are properly presentable.

Our next aircraft update is likely to be on the Ju-88C cockpit.

9 hours ago, InProgress said:

Are they going to be 1 hit to kill weapon? Even with some heavy tanks getting blown up instantly? Or stronger vehicles will just get track destroyed and stay there to fire at enemy?

Also wonder how will AI react to this :P are they going to ignore it and just push forward or when mine blow up first vehicle, they will stop and try to go back and find way around mine field?

Sometimes they kill the vehicle and sometimes the vehicle can survive depending on the armor... we may also see them just immobilize the vehicle.

17 hours ago, No.54_Reddog said:

Are the mines placed individually in the editor or a "zone" you define? Are they objects that can be seen or a random number generator applied to an area? How is MP server performance with large areas of minefields?

Mines are placed individually and on a particular spot... when a vehicle drives over that location the mine is triggered.

Obviously the Mission Builder decides how much time he wants to invest in placing mines.

There is very little effect on performance per mine... but if you place a million mines, then obviously it will affect the game play.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If I may ask, do you plan on returning bird-strikes and frosted canopies?

43 minutes ago, Leifr said:

If I may ask, do you plan on returning bird-strikes and frosted canopies?

No.

And by the way, regarding landmines and their irrelevance to players flying aircraft.... actually you can interact.

Because bombs dropped on minefields will explode the mines and thereby clear a portion of the field to allow your vehicles to advance.  😉

Artillery will do the same thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

No.

hmmm. and how about scratches in the canopy and raindrops on the windshield? IMHO this is standart in 2020 flight sims

• Upvote 2

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I like the idea. Nothing wrong with some extra immersion.

Fair enough. I'm going to hazard a guess that after the initial "ooh shiny" factor has worn off few will bother with them and that for example placing mines in anything like a realistic density and pattern will bring a server to it's knees but I look forward to being proven wrong.

I take it that the Wellington is not yet actually ready then?

7 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I like the idea. Nothing wrong with some extra immersion.

True.

But landmines, at the expense of birds and atmospheric effects? The latter of these were included in the original release, seems pretty poor not to fix them up.

15 hours ago, Semor76 said:

hmmm. and how about scratches in the canopy and raindrops on the windshield? IMHO this is standart in 2020 flight sims

When there are only two major sims - it is silly to talk about 'standards'.

Btw. Is it wrong that I don't just want a drivable staff-car, but I also want to be able to drive a locomotive? The tracks are a bit of a mess on the existing map if I'm honest, and there are issues with needing things like switches... but I still weirdly want to lean out of the cab of one of the locos and look for Spitfires! Hard to justify though.

17 hours ago, Semor76 said:

How about more adequate FM, better DM and overall better looks? This sim has it all. I'll take those any day over canopy raindrops and scratches.

Edited by Arthur-A
  • Upvote 1