hausnm

Dogfight Servers for Flying Circus

Hi,

i just discovered Flying with wwi planes. Does anyone know which servers do offer a dogfight mode ?

and are there a sufficient number of Players to Play with ? 
i do not want to fly hours searching for someone.....

• Upvote 1

There's the Thursday Night Fly-In, and the Sunday event (48 on as of my typing this).  Those would be your best bet for lots of action with many pilots.

Outside those, you have to check the Jasta 5 Flugpark regularly.  Sometimes it is low, sometimes there are a few more on though.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hausnm said:

Hi,

i just discovered Flying with wwi planes. Does anyone know which servers do offer a dogfight mode ?

and are there a sufficient number of Players to Play with ? 
i do not want to fly hours searching for someone.....

From today!

image.thumb.png.2f01b79a5a8b29656f6c1a192fedbb49.png

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Upvote 1

Besides Sundays (today was packed as you can see from the print above) and Thursdays events, usually you find a bunch of players around 20:00 GMT time on Flying Circus Flugpark, sometimes earlier, sometimes a bit later. Friday, when there are no events, there were more than 20 players if I'm not mistaken around 20:00 GMT time. The server also created a Tuesday event. Check the forum.

You can also check who is flying on Flying Circus Flugpark at https://il2.flying-barans.ru/. Currently the only server listed on the Page, and it helps to find people online.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

There's the Thursday Night Fly-In, and the Sunday event (48 on as of my typing this)

Where is this. Do you mean on Flugpark? I just checked and there are 5 people there.  I’m GMT +10, so there’s little chance to join in.  

Just now, Feathered_IV said:

Where is this. Do you mean on Flugpark? I just checked and there are 5 people there.  I’m GMT +10, so there’s little chance to join in.  

You can find all the info here. It alternates with JG1 (currently called FIF for another event).

1 hour ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

image.thumb.png.2f01b79a5a8b29656f6c1a192fedbb49.png

Wouldn't it be great if when hovering over the server name as shown, it would display a tooltip containing the server's description provided by the admin?  That way anyone could just search for a particular type of server without having to resort to asking on a forum, nor having to connect to each server in turn just to learn more about it.

Just like Rise of Flight has been doing for years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

Wouldn't it be great if when hovering over the server name as shown, it would display a tooltip containing the server's description provided by the admin?  That way anyone could just search for a particular type of server without having to resort to asking on a forum, nor having to connect to each server in turn just to learn more about it.

Just like Rise of Flight has been doing for years.

4 sure that is good subject to post at suggestion thread specially designed by Devs for that kind of feedback Cynic_AI.

• Upvote 2

Well, thank you for this information. Perhaps I visited these servers on a time when they were not busy. I hope we will meet there soon. 

Guys, the pilot asked about dogfight, and you write to him that Flugpafk is dogfight!  Yes, on this server all the mice have had some fun because of melancholy, if there are less than 20 people there!  Twice a week there is fun, but in a strictly limited time.  If you didn’t have time to start the event, and come to the end, then you can fly for 40 minutes, shoot with colored rockets, write your square in the general chat, but your only opponents will be double balloons and bots.

And even on Sundays and Thursdays, this is not a dogfight!  You can have time to eat after work, and even drink tea, while your plane reaches the place where the battle is possible!!

There is a dogfight in the circus, now I just finished playing there.  Uses Zooropa maps, and the best one is the map where the mountains are!  There are rarely players there, but even 1x1 will not be boring, believe me.  Today 2x2 flew and it was cool.  And on Flugpark 2x2, it's like 1x0

The name is only very complex, something like "April 1918, la la la ..." and a mention of the author of the maps.  If it’s interesting, I’ll see how exactly it is called

• Upvote 1

Have you all tried the forward airstarts on each side intended to assist players at least popular times actually dogfight? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, emely said:

Guys, the pilot asked about dogfight, and you write to him that Flugpafk is dogfight!  Yes, on this server all the mice have had some fun because of melancholy, if there are less than 20 people there!  Twice a week there is fun, but in a strictly limited time.  If you didn’t have time to start the event, and come to the end, then you can fly for 40 minutes, shoot with colored rockets, write your square in the general chat, but your only opponents will be double balloons and bots.

And even on Sundays and Thursdays, this is not a dogfight!  You can have time to eat after work, and even drink tea, while your plane reaches the place where the battle is possible!!

There is a dogfight in the circus, now I just finished playing there.  Uses Zooropa maps, and the best one is the map where the mountains are!  There are rarely players there, but even 1x1 will not be boring, believe me.  Today 2x2 flew and it was cool.  And on Flugpark 2x2, it's like 1x0

The name is only very complex, something like "April 1918, la la la ..." and a mention of the author of the maps.  If it’s interesting, I’ll see how exactly it is called

Hi emely. Pls have a Look of the correct server name you mentioned.

Hey hausnm,

My maps are currently being hosted on Hotrod Server.

On the server list it's : "April 1918 Flying Circus..." You can't miss it !

Salute !

ZF.

• Upvote 1

yesterday I did also a short visit on Hotrod, and have to admit that those settings (yesterday it was dogfighting in the valleys of the Kuban map) can be pretty amusing...

The fact that there are many AI's, Airstarts and icons make it a good first entry to the world of WW1 online flying and can help attracting newcomers I guess.

For sure it would be a good Idea to have the server listed on https://il2.flying-barans.ru/ also!

Nevertheless I see enough room yet for another online-server that has on the one side a little more realism approach, but on the other side provides the possibility for faster action than you will find in the mission style as they are hosted at the J5 server:

Simply take any area of the Arras map, where you find 2 airfields relatively (but not too) close on the opposite sides of a bigger city, Example could be:

- Lille, where you have St. Marguerite Airlfield in the north and Houplin in the south, both having about the same distance to Lille.

- Make 1 of them airfield Central & the other one Allies

- Full Realism settings, no Icons, no 2d-gauges

- Place some ground targets (some Vehicles, maybe 1 train and 1 barge per Side) with reasonable ground-fire activity

- Only few AI planes active, e.g. 3 or per Side  (best case: Depending on the number of human players active; this was possible in RoF, nor sure if IL2 missions allow this)

...and here we go!

What do I like to this approach:

a) More accurate WW1 "atmosphere" including the take off and landing of the planes

b) Having the city as clearly visible meeting zone and orientation point, so also for newbies good chance to learn navigation without Icons

c) I allways liked the Dogfights around the cathedral of Verdun RoF... FC gives us that pretty environment, it would be a shame not used it accordingly =>  bring the pilots close to those pretty french cities 😉

d) Groundtargets gives you something to do if no other human player is around and dogfights with AI are too boring; beside that it gives the chance for 2-seater-training...

e) Most important: Short distances to the action: Within 5 to 10 Minutes you meet some enemies of find some ground targets to go 4....

=> That one would be the first server 4 me to stop by if I has the time for flying around only 30 or 45 minutes in the evening... 😄

And just that all the mates who providing already now servers for us for free don't get anything wrong; the work that J5_Mathias and his J5 Friends as well as J99_Sizzlor providing for the community is highly appreciated; as well as the Hotrod-Server with Zoo's missions which give us a completely different alternative for WW1 online flying.... both is great; it's simply the point that I think there is very much space for some form of "compromise" in between....

And one addendum: I am sure accros the arras map there can be more areas found where 2 airfields are relatively close to a city or any other catchy landmark where it is possible to place more or less the same setting but with different plane sets (e.g. one without DrI and Camel and one without Spad and D.VIIF), maybe also one without any 2-seater but therefore some MG positions as ground tartgets that can be strafed with the fighters too...

So I see with this concept even the possibility for some mission rotation, that pulls the players in all edges of the Arras Map and gives te incentive to use different planes...   

• Upvote 1

I'm also waiting on a furball server like the ones we had back in early 2019, with no icons, no AIs, no air starts. Apart the fact that they were not listed at the barans wesite, we had a regular crowd in spite the ongoing updates and servers going away without notice.

At the moment, I think the game would only benefit from an expert furball server, so that most of the regular players can seed (if the server is listed at the barans website) and develop a daily crowd and have the novice servers as a breeding ground, just like it was back in 2013/14.

But Flugpark is filling the gap so far, although I miss the duels and sparring sessions. It is all good though.

What you're describing Wolf is an empty map. You could do one of those yourself !

When I was running my own missions I disabled icons during the time J5 server was down, and publicised it here.

Nobody came for a look.

RoF has been the same for years - been plenty of non-icon action available, but the quick action brigade clearly prefer icons.

1 hour ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

What you're describing Wolf is an empty map. You could do one of those yourself !

We had a good crowd on those furball servers when FC was released (no AIs, no icons, no air starts), then on J5 Flugpark at the Kuban map. And for who is from before the ROF era with AIs, we just want a ring to take off and duke it out with real players.

The post Aces Falling era is not a good sample to prove a point. It was always the same players and I have seen several old expert veterans show up to never come back again. For some reason I stayed, which led to FC, but the vast majority of the old crowd didn’t, so it wasn’t a popular choice, but a choice that was enjoyed by a portion of the same few every day.

I considered doing a South American server back in 2014 (advertise the game in Brazilian forums, and I even started to build a website), but things have changed and the ME is too complex, not to mention dserver and so on so forth. I would need to be a retiree to dive into it, plus I'm sort of detached from the whole thing. I'm not even sure what 2020 will bring me in relation to simulators.

Obs: icons were accepted because servers usually ran red vs blue missions. I’m not sure if Aces Falling had red vs blue missions, but I think it did. The real problem for me lays on the AIs. Although I would rather fly on a no icons server.

Obs2: your server is not listed on the barans website, so whatever you do, you are going to have a hard time to get a regular crowd going on.

Just my very 2 cents, which is not much anyways.

-------

@Zooropa_Fly Just to show that I was taking it seriously back then: I still have the draft for the front page of the website (and other stuff in an old folder). It was for people like me, who never played online and only got to ROF because of the passion of flying. My learning curve was steep, then I wanted to help. Of course it would have a Portuguese version and someone would review the English.

CpTvXAF.jpg

Edited by SeaW0lf

Of course I'll recommend everyone to fly on the J5 Flugpark as much as possible. When no one is on there is plenty of recon and ground attack to do, or the odd AI plane to shoot down, and since people attract people, it means you won't be alone for long... After the January tour ends in a few days, there will be an extra incentive to fly there for those interested in stats and visible rewards for your exploits (official announcement coming soon).

That said, it's never a good idea to have all our eggs in the same basket and I can only recommend to fly on @Zooropa_Fly's server/maps if you're looking for faster action, or even on BERLOGA where WWI dueling slots are available.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

Obs2: your server is not listed on the barans website, so whatever you do, you are going to have a hard time to get a regular crowd going on.

To say the least of it, this 'reasoning' makes me shudder.  Infallibly all available servers are listed on the master server list, which is where committed players will make their choice, if necessary seeding an empty server.  Do you think the whole community should sit gawping at listing sites until they see an occupied server?  Can you not see how that would not work, nor how it could serve only to destroy multiplayer altogether?  Would a nice diagram help?

Yes I know I've said this before, but the situation must be defended.

I never quite understood how someone, who likes to know (and record) all that goes on on their servers at all times, doesn't see some benefit from being able to check who's flying from their mobile, wherever they may be.

I know I know you'll be fully automated, but still..

Personally I used to check it quite a lot to see who was on NFF, sometimes out of curiosity, sometimes I'd go fly if I saw anyone there I particularly wanted to fly with.

So with me, it has the potential to make me join MP, but never holds me back. So that's a positive result for the game.

I think it's importance is being a bit exaggerated at both ends here.

It's existence isn't stopping people from playing in reality, that sounds like a hypothetical argument - despite it's logic.

At the same time, a server not listed isn't going to be that affected by it's non-inclusion.

S~

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, hausnm said:

Hi ! 

Zooropa_Fly correctly named the beginning of the server name, only there are a couple of lines in the name.  Unfortunately, I can’t see it on my computer so far, that’s for sure.

19 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Have you all tried the forward airstarts on each side intended to assist players at least popular times actually dogfight? 

Maybe I didn’t quite understand you correctly, there are difficulties in the translation.  But we have a server with a large map, it is popular twice a week.  Every day you need fast food like HFF.

Guys, if you have a problem with markers, you can turn them off, I do it sometimes 😉 Also, an air start is also interesting, why waste time flying in and climbing?  For example, there is no place on the mountain map where you can place an airfield, and landing on the mountainside is a separate quest 🙂 With all these long flights to the enemy, I’ve already fed up with FiF and Flugpark.

4 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

I never quite understood how someone, who likes to know (and record) all that goes on on their servers at all times, doesn't see some benefit from being able to check who's flying from their mobile, wherever they may be.

For reasons most would need a lecture to understand, my 'smart'phone resides in a ziploc bag with the battery removed, ready only to be used in the event that I need Internet access on the move, and under those circumstances knowing who may be using my servers couldn't be of less use. 

Personally I used to check it quite a lot to see who was on NFF, sometimes out of curiosity, sometimes I'd go fly if I saw anyone there I particularly wanted to fly with.

That's instead of presenting yourself in the server, where others could see you.  That just makes you part of the problem.

So with me, it has the potential to make me join MP, but never holds me back.

So it may encourage you to do what you were going to do anyway. That's another way of saying it has no effect.

Edited by Cynic_Al

2 hours ago, emely said:
21 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Maybe I didn’t quite understand you correctly, there are difficulties in the translation.  But we have a server with a large map, it is popular twice a week.  Every day you need fast food like HFF.

Yes, there is a fast food area on the Flugpark....in the middle of the map there are two fields....one on either side of mud....they are mid level/low level altitude airstarts and allow two or more players wanting fast food style flying to quickly find each other and dogfight. They are airstarts because the map does not allow placing ground based airfields anywhere other than where the devs placed them.   Fast food dogfight your hearts away there right in the Flugpark!

Get in the server and invite any other players to the airstarts for fast food style dogfighting.   You can keep track of your performance via the parser and earn historically based awards etc starting (officially) this weekend. Look for an announcement.later this week/weekend about the awards system.

Edited by J5_Baeumer
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

For reasons most would need a lecture to understand, my 'smart'phone resides in a ziploc bag with the battery removed, ready only to be used in the event that I need Internet access on the move, and under those circumstances knowing who may be using my servers couldn't be of less use. 

That's instead of presenting yourself in the server, where others could see you.  That just makes you part of the problem.

So it may encourage you to do what you were going to do anyway. That's another way of saying it has no effect.

Despite not being the International man of mystery like yourself.. I rarely leave the house with my phone, and fully understand the meaning of 'smart' attached to any device.. which is most devices now. The fact that you can remove your phone's battery hints at the fact yours isn't smart. Which is smart.

But part of a problem ?

I'm not sure there is one, and if there is -  the squillions of hours I've spent online playing this game makes me reluctant to accept I'm part of any problem.

Traditionally I'm a seeder, not someone who sits watching and waiting for someone else to appear.

I'd honestly be surprised if anyone has spent more time online fighting bots alone, than my good self.

Again, my checking the barans site would be at times I'm not flying nor intending to fly.

But every once in a while, if my lover-boy Gary (big kisses) was flying for instance - I'd drop everything (well nearly everything) and go join the server.

So in my case it has only been a positive for online numbers, never has it been a reason that's stopped me.

I understand what you describe, but in the real world I still maintain there's no real issue here that's damaged the game in any way shape or form.

Visible server numbers aren't always all they're cracked up to be anyway.

Occasionally you log on to realise that the other two pilots are in fact aliases of the host.

Edited by Zooropa_Fly

All the arguments like using the Airstart-Options on J5 for quicker action or Turning Icons off at HFF are just half of the truth for me:

- Flying on a server with Icons turned available and turn them off just for me is not the same as if a Server has Icons generally disabled

-  - Using the airstart-option directly at the mud at J5-server is fine (allthough I simply like the taking off), but if there are no other players around or like to do any specific long range mission (as this is what the mission design is made for, imho) and next AI is flying anywhere else alongside the mud, then you are simply allone...

So finally I still see the space for another WWI  server as described by me above and I really believe that in the long term such an option would not pull players away from other servers, but would broaden the population of WWI online pilots in general....

• Like 1

If you email that dude on the barans page, he'll add you to the list. It seems quite easy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, US213_Talbot said:

If you email that dude on the barans page, he'll add you to the list. It seems quite easy.

That's it? Seems simple enough. Don't know why anyone wouldn't do it. Like it won't hurt. Hint hint #20_ McGowan. Oh he's working on a killer mission right now. Can't wait to try it out. The mans becoming a beast on the editor, has no life other than that damn mission editor. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Yes, there is a fast food area on the Flugpark....in the middle of the map there are two fields....one on either side of mud....

This is a good idea, it’s a pity there wasn’t Pfalz3, and I still had to fly from a regular airport.  About 30 minutes of searches in vain, on the server about 6x6.  I spent all the missiles over the front line, and when they were over, I started firing a machine gun from time to time so that at least someone would fight me and the evening would not be wasted.  Praise God, Waggaz and some other camel guy flew in, and I was able to play a little.

In 30 minutes on Dogfight, you can spend a dozen fights such as I had only one during this time.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:45 AM, hausnm said:

The full name is

IMG_7584.JPG

Just a beautiful card.  I recorded few tracks from there, practically alone, so there are no materials on the video, but for me it will do.  The air start is high there, probably it gives the advantage of the D7f .. I can’t say how big it is 🙂

Please forgive me for the quality of my videos, with my video card (770GTX) and a limit of 30fps in the game, I sometimes have huge problems even with a simple overview around, and not just with the beauty of the pictures 😉

• Like 1

Yes it really pays to go to the Flugpark and get on chat first to invite other players to fly against you from the airstarts if you want some quick Furball airquake action.   But you need to use in game.chat to tell others that's what you want to do to get it going. Pretty simple.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:28 AM, J5_Baeumer said:

Yes, there is a fast food area on the Flugpark....

Today I took advantage of the air launch from the British.  The height of the appearance of the aircraft in this case is very low.  Starting an air battle with someone without the ability to maneuver vertically is very stupid if you do not have a camel or dr1.  In order to gain the necessary height, in the case of this air launch, you must first fly to your rear, then back.  Such a maneuver takes as much time as it takes to reach the same height when taking off from a conventional airfield.  Moreover, immediately after the appearance, the pilot is in maximum danger from an attack from above.  I see no reason for the existence of an air launch with such conditions.  Sir, tell me, have you ever been to a dogfighting?

We will raise them.   What is the suggestion? 1000m? 

10 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

We will raise them.   What is the suggestion? 1000m? 

Actually, maybe it’s not worth arranging conditions for a quick dogfight at Flugpark?  This server is an analog of Wargraund, people like it the way it is.  We have a "large" server, we have a dogfight with markers ... We even have a server for dueling (Berloga), which was never done on a regular basis even in RoF.  But what we do not have is players for these servers.  All 60 buyers gather once - twice a week 😉

I would agree with Emely.

Flugpark has an almost complete monopoly on the MP scene as it is .

A server can't be Wargrounds and NFF / Aces Falling at the same time.

Edited by Zooropa_Fly
  • Upvote 1

We just need more players, really.  All the different server options and ideas are trying to cater and draw in players which seem not to be out there.

Hopefully the reduced price helps.

• Like 1

Bring the conditions and the players will come.

There have now been enough FC servers to satisfy any dedicated ww1 buff.

There are / have been : big maps ; small maps ; icons on ; icons off ; bots ; no bots ; regulated bots ; restricted plane maps ; All sceneries used ; all objects used......

Fact is the WG type scenario is the only one working.

If you want a quick fight with other pilots you have to go back to RoF.

No magic server is going to change that anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

The last time we had a furball server with no icons and no AIs, with take-offs and close airfields, few objects (clear fields, no big cities to floor our fps), was before the J5 Flugpark at Kuban map, which was also a furballer and always had a crowd. And back then it was fun and we regularly had a crowd to fly with. Then the Arras map came, the furballers went away (a couple of drop outs) and we got used to the bigger maps of Flugpark. But if a server comes with the right settings, listed on barans and advertised here, ideally made by a squadron that can seed in the early days, I can't see things getting wrong. 

I've been here since day one and we got a lot of traction after every plane release. The problem was that servers came and went without notice, most weren't listed on the barans website and at every update we had no idea in which server we would play. Although I saw several stints of a couple weeks with 10/12 players every afternoon, with 20+ during events. Then we would have an update and servers would vanish to reappear a week or so later, when they reappeared. So we could never get a real crowd going.

Then we don't have a sample to compare. Right now we don't have a furball server with expert settings, listed on barans, and then people simply won't show up. Perhaps it is too late, who knows. But I would fly in an expert furball server, and other people would do as well, and if we get 6 people going, we already matched the prime time in ROF most of the week, and to gather 6 people in FC during European evenings is no biggie.

For me, and this is only me, ROF has only the N17, perhaps the D8 and the Pup,  as a bait.