Jump to content

Rise of Flight stll worth it?


jollyjack
 Share

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

 

That was tongue-in-cheek Todt.. counting myself amongst the rank of sucker fish :P

 

S!

Nice save!:lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:


Quit pretending

 

Your looking in the wrong server tonight. See the Thursday night thread.   Let's not be misleading to anyone.

Edited by J5_Baeumer
removed image
Link to comment
Share on other sites

US63_SpadLivesMatter
10 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

 

Your looking in the wrong server tonight. See the Thursday night thread.   Let's not be misleading to anyone.

 

It was Wednesday...

 

-and as I said, events are great; but this game doesn't have nearly the same "drop in and play" multiplayer community of the WW2 titles.  The majority of the time I want to sit down to play, servers are barely populated, if at all.  I get that you want to push this game.  That's great; but it's just not there yet.  If you want the multiplayer experience that people around here are touting, you need to get together with the other moms and set up a playdate.

 

I envy the people living in that golden timezone where the servers are full during their preferred playing times.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now we are comparing to WW2?   That's not quite fair, but a fair choice.....we all have made or make it.   WWI is never as big or popular as WW2.  There always has been and likely always will be more WW2 playing options available.  I do notice from your profile that you seem to come from and are active in WW2 side of things. 

 

I along with hundreds of other people are supporting a niche community,  grow with this visually and technically (FM/DM) improved next generation platform.  We are trying to build something together here not trying to tear things down.  And perhaps this is the moment that I state how much I enjoyed RoF and understand that it still offers a more robust single player option than FC, although there are more and more options in FC for those solo or campaign players and I hope we see those options continue to expand.  That said, even it is what I now personally consider to be a more muted visual and air combat and flying experience compared to Flying Circus.

 

In any event,  see below, all times Pacific (lowest activity hours):6:37pm, 9:23pm and 11:02pm. 

 

I like others are pleasantly surprised to see more and more such activity starting to happen outside of scheduled events.  This is in addition to the almost daily solid activity from 1900 GMT-2200 GMT when East Coast North America late afternoon intersects with evening hours in Europe.  

 

The numbers below aren't impressive other than the fact that they are consistent and show steady activity happening yesterday well into the late evening throughout the historically slowest period of the West Coast North America evening.  Again, all times Pacific which is the time zone I suspect you and I share that is far from the golden hours noted above where most activity for all sims naturally occurs.

 

Screenshot_20200108-063746.thumb.png.abc59ddad1c41064280da38aa87904df.pngScreenshot_20200108-212354.thumb.png.bde3aa3cc4fedb3c9ab0fd372513a5f1.pngScreenshot_20200108-230228.thumb.png.8b6b3550a4630ade8aa4272b9cdf95e2.png
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1PL-Husar-1Esk

If there will be no VOL-2 or more ported airplanes, added ww1 mechanic , we should abandone FC and go back to ROF because available content is not enough for long run. This what would practical man do , but I hope for more from.devs and we should wait for some announcement about future of ww1 in Il2GB series. Let's see how our investment and good faith payoffs. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In reality we already have a few players playing every afternoon in Flying Circus, just as we see 5 players at NFF on occasion. We also have events twice a week with 40 to 50 players, which is something that I have only seen in ROF in 2014/15. So we are way past ROF now. I feel no need to go back other than to revisit the N17. If on a given day there is no one flying in FC, I'll go for a walk, I'll go fix something at home, etc. We don't need to spend our free time just in front of a screen.

 

Those 5 players in ROF could come here and help the effort, but I'm OK if people are holding their ground until we know what will happen to FC for real. I personally like to fly and compete, then I can live with Camels, Dolphins and Fokkers in endless fights, but I understand those people who expect more from it. I do too, a rolled back Tripehound, the N17 and the whole Albatros family, perhaps the Halb D2 and the Gotha (HP). Then I would be set for years to come (if the bugs and visibility / spotting is fixed).

 

We'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

J5_Klugermann
6 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

In reality we already have a few players playing every afternoon in Flying Circus, just as we see 5 players at NFF on occasion. We also have events twice a week with 40 to 50 players, which is something that I have only seen in ROF in 2014/15. So we are way past ROF now. I feel no need to go back other than to revisit the N17. If on a given day there is no one flying in FC, I'll go for a walk, I'll go fix something at home, etc. We don't need to spend our free time just in front of a screen.

 

 

We'll see.

 

We were routinely getting 35-50 in Cubans on Sundays and 20-40 in Wargrounds on Thurs nights before FC pre release . More maps, more planes, different missions and no Spad bellyaching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, J5_Klugermann said:

 

We were routinely getting 35-50 in Cubans on Sundays and 20-40 in Wargrounds on Thurs nights before FC pre release . More maps, more planes, different missions and no Spad bellyaching.

 

I was in ROF since September 2017 and I only saw 30/40 players on Cuban’s in general? On a slow day, let's say DH2 vs E3, the numbers would plummet. I don't recall seeing the numbers we see here. The Thursday event had about 20/30 players. Wargrounds was empty during the week. Then FC was announced and it got to 20+ players daily for a couple months (I was flying everyday to seed). I saw several old faces reappear. Then they locked fuel in January 2018 and it emptied in a couple weeks to what we see now.

 

The Sunday event here is much stronger, and we are just starting. The last Thursday event was close to 40 players I think. I don’t think we can compare. Plus we are dealing with bugs, dserver problems, just one server listed at the barans site, the reluctance of many ROF players to support FC, etc.

 

Bumps and all, I just go to ROF when the servers here are down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
1PL-Husar-1Esk
On 1/9/2020 at 6:22 PM, SeaW0lf said:

If the development stalls, I can see that.

What I read from Jason there are no plans for FC Vol-2 in 2020 :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

What I read from Jason there are no plans for FC Vol-2 in 2020 :(

 

Well before people make any conclusions here based solely on this, here is a direct quote from Jason:

 

 

Moving forward we will be more careful in taking on new products and evaluating the impact on our core team better. Both Flying Circus and Tank Crew are awesome products in their own right and we urge everyone to grab a copy so we can continue to make these types of products in the future. Our partners have done an excellent job making these a reality and devoted much time and effort to the work. We hope you will recognize their efforts and reward them with making a purchase of either FC or TC. TC won’t be finished until this Spring as we still have a couple more tanks to introduce and a few more improvements to make.

 

We will continue to squash bugs and evaluate these experiments for potential follow-ups in the near future. These two titles were indeed experimental gambles, one was a new take on an older product and the other was something completely new for us. I hope they work out long-term just as much as you do.

 

Source: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

What I read from Jason there are no plans for FC Vol-2 in 2020 :(

 

I think that they are loaded with work right now and a year goes by fast when you are slammed. Jason said they were going to hit the brakes a bit on the whole thing. If they announce FC 2 in 2021, I won't complain. If they fix the visibility / spotting problems and the bugs, invisible planes, contrast bug, etc., they can announce FC 2 in 2022 that I will not complain either.

 

At the moment, I'm not stressed. MFS 2020 might shake the market and new things could come up from it. I don't believe that the combat simulator niche shrink from Il-2 1946 just because we are in different times. I hope to see new projects on this decade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NO.20_Krispy_Duck

I could see that happening. Something like Normandy has a potentially large following, whereas FC Vol. 2 (1916-17 era?) - as interesting as it would be - would be truly niche in the wider combat sim world.

 

And  most casual fliers in the WW1 theater gravitate toward the 1918 offerings - D.VIIF, Spad XIII, Camel, etc. If you just do an open WW1 dogfight night, most people are in 1918 airplanes because they feel it is more competitive.

 

The earlier stuff tended to be for when you wanted to participate in a particular scenario - say a 1916-17 era mission with limited plane sets. I can see where it might be hard to turn a sizable profit off of a limited theater like that. It's too bad too because there are some real gems in that earlier plane set. I remember one server in the old RB3d was limited to 1916 era and no later - lots of interesting fights in old Nieuports and Halbs in there, for example.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Krispy_Duck said:

The earlier stuff tended to be for when you wanted to participate in a particular scenario - say a 1916-17 era mission with limited plane sets.

 

Not so true, some of the most popular missions in ROF were made of Nieuports, Pups, Sopwith Triplanes (the original Tripehound FM was arguably the best in my opinion) and Albatroses. If you mixed some Gotha and HP raids, you had a winner in your server. Even the Halb D.II, Nieuport 11 and FE2b and Rolands were popular. Just the early planes, like E3 and DH2s were not so popular for a number of reasons.

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

US63_SpadLivesMatter
24 minutes ago, Krispy_Duck said:

And  most casual fliers in the WW1 theater gravitate toward the 1918 offerings - D.VIIF, Spad XIII, Camel, etc. If you just do an open WW1 dogfight night, most people are in 1918 airplanes because they feel it is more competitive.

 

On the filthy casual servers in RoF you were as likely to run into an N11 or Pup as you were a 1918 plane.  In part because of some wonky flight models and how they interacted with one another.  If the real flyers had the RoF N11, they wouldn't have needed the N17!  Ditto with the Pup and the Tripehound (even before the nerf).

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Ditto with the Pup and the Tripehound (even before the nerf).

 

The Tripehound had the right speed and a superb FM. No match for the Dr1, but deadly against the Albies when in good hands. Arguably the best FM in ROF (pre 2014 nerfing). And the N17 is much superior to the N11, you just have to master the left turn.

Edited by SeaW0lf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

US63_SpadLivesMatter
23 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

 

The Tripehound had the right speed and a superb FM. No match for the Dr1, but deadly against the Albies when in good hands. Arguably the best FM in ROF. And the N17 is much superior to the N11, you just have to master the left turn.

 

You seem to misunderstand.  The tripehound model was good; but the RoF Pup being what it is, made the tripehound unnecessary, even before the tripe got borked.  We have guys taking pups against the Dr1 in turn fights and winning regularly.

 

As far as the N17 vs N11 is concerned, you're not a filthy casual.  Filthy casuals enjoy more success in the N11.  Which is why you saw them more often than the N17 (with the exception of the free RUS model).

Edited by J28w-Broccoli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel that there would be more disappointment if there was no TC2 immediately following TC-CAP, like Falaise pocket or Battle of the bulge, than if there was no FC2 during BON development. That’s my view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

I feel that there would be more disappointment if there was no TC2 immediately following TC-CAP, like Falaise pocket or Battle of the bulge, than if there was no FC2 during BON development. That’s my view.

 

I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject of this thread, but periodically it's advisable just to take a step back and fix what you've created so far. If you're really smart, you'll take another step back and fix what you created in the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

We have guys taking pups against the Dr1 in turn fights and winning regularly.

 

True, the Pup is a Dr1 killer now. She’s much better than the Camel on this particular matchup. But this because the Dr1 got nerfed and became more sluggish, lost torque. But the Pup is not easy to fly against good opposition because there is the engine management, or else she'll seize. But I rather fly her against Dr1s.

 

Some servers blocked the Pup for a while before the 2014 patch. She was unbeatable against most planes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

Pup is not easy to fly against good opposition because there is the engine management, or else she'll seize.

 

I have to say that's a new one on me.

Edited by Cynic_Al
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strangely fragile engine that starts to conk out at the sight of a single projectile, wasn't aware of any management related causes.

 

Is the Pup's engine fragility realistic btw ? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as I know, if you start to turn at full throttle, especially during summer, she'll seize. I also thought it was related to single bullets, but I flew her enough in 2018 to think otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

US63_SpadLivesMatter

Wasn't the D8 hit by the same nerf that hit the DR1?  As far as I know, the D8 should be significantly faster than it currently is*.

 

*This is hard to say due to the wildly differing performance data that can be found for this aircraft.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The D8 always had 184km/h at sea level (HUD), which seems to be the real life data. The Engineering Division of the Air Service at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, on May 20 1921 took a Fokker D8 to 185km/h with an Oberursel at 1390rpm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BraveSirRobin
On 1/9/2020 at 8:18 AM, J28w-Broccoli said:

 

I get that you want to push this game. 

 

You should want to push it too.  Otherwise this is the end of the FC line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

US63_SpadLivesMatter
33 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

 

You should want to push it too.  Otherwise this is the end of the FC line.

 

From where I'm sitting, in a virtually dead time zone, it might as well be.  That said, I bought it; and it is what it is.  It is a neat module, and some people are flying with 50 people.  Cool for them.

 

But I wouldn't drop $80 for it again, not in the current state; and I certainly won't drop $80 on Normandy in hope of an FC2.

 

If that means the end, so be it.  It's just a game.

Edited by J28w-Broccoli
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BraveSirRobin
3 minutes ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

 

If that means the end, so be it.  It's just a game.

 

Yeah. I get it.  You don't care. Maybe stop trashing it so the people who do care can try to get more modules.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

It's just a game.

Totally. If it [FC] ends, it ends, or future development gets postponed to an unknown date, it's not the end of the world. We still have RoF to go back to; I’d recommend mods for those who haven’t tried them yet. RoF’s not a huge step back like IL-2 1946 with, well, you know what, but still is a great game with lots of features. I’m talking about RoF in the last sentence. I would happily pay $80 USD for BON and probably any other TC and Battle of..., but I mean, $80 US ($100 CDN) for FC1 that has NO new planes, Pilot Career (save for PW’s), a small map seems very overpriced. But as a stated above, there would be more disappointment if there was no TC2 or Battle of... after BON than if there’s no FC2.

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

As far as I know, if you start to turn at full throttle, especially during summer, she'll seize. I also thought it was related to single bullets, but I flew her enough in 2018 to think otherwise.

 

I'll test this out, only noticed it after a bullet strike.

S!

 

 

 

2 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

 

Yeah. I get it.  You don't care. Maybe stop trashing it so the people who do care can try to get more modules.

 

Nobody's trashing anything.

Let people express their legitimate observations in peace for once.

 

Haven't seen you in FC1 yet ?

Edited by Zooropa_Fly
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1PL-Husar-1Esk
14 hours ago, SeaW0lf said:

 

I think that they are loaded with work right now and a year goes by fast when you are slammed. Jason said they were going to hit the brakes a bit on the whole thing. If they announce FC 2 in 2021, I won't complain. If they fix the visibility / spotting problems and the bugs, invisible planes, contrast bug, etc., they can announce FC 2 in 2022 that I will not complain either.

 

At the moment, I'm not stressed. MFS 2020 might shake the market and new things could come up from it. I don't believe that the combat simulator niche shrink from Il-2 1946 just because we are in different times. I hope to see new projects on this decade.

Ok , but the facts are that for ww1  CFS genre there will be no more stuff  this year,  doing same over and over for 2 years can be boring in long run. Maybe fact that for most FC is active one or two times a week can extend it life  , but for more fun with  early planes and  great maps plus lots of great missions  already there we should go back to ROF sometimes too. So questions was if ROF is still worth - IMHO yes , and for SP experience was never otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Ok , but the facts are that for ww1  CFS genre there will be no more stuff  this year,  doing same over and over for 2 years can be boring in long run. Maybe fact that for most FC is active one or two times a week can extend it life  , but for more fun with  early planes and  great maps plus lots of great missions  already there we should go back to ROF sometimes too. So questions was if ROF is still worth - IMHO yes , and for SP experience was never otherwise.

 

I think the damage model, physiology, new AIs and everything else made ROF pointless to me in multiplayer. I rather sit out or go for a walk than to login in ROF. Perhaps just to fly the N17 once in a while in furball servers? But it lost its attraction. But I understand that single player is another story.

 

3 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

I'll test this out, only noticed it after a bullet strike.

 

I'll test too, but that one is a mystery. First time that I noticed something was way back in 2014, climbing with the PUP at a high AOA. She seized. I'm not sure if in all these incidents she was hit by a stray bullet coming from another dogfight, but once I started to manage the engine at NFF, I started to finish all my dogfights with the engine safe when I wasn't hit. But I admit that her engine blows up with a sneeze.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dakpilot said:

Where in Jason's statement does it say there will be no more stuff in  FC for 1 year? 

 

Maybe I missed it

 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

 

You probably did not read the older posts. I said at the middle of the page: "If they announce FC 2 in 2021, I won't complain.” Then Husar elaborated on the same "1 year" supposition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1PL-Husar-1Esk
1 hour ago, SeaW0lf said:

 

I think the damage model, physiology, new AIs and everything else made ROF pointless it to me in multiplayer. I rather sit out or go for a walk than to login in ROF. Perhaps just to fly the N17 once in a while in furball servers? But it lost its attraction. But I understand that single player is another story.

 

You could have similar experience in ROF as in FC , except psychology (unconscious) and VR. AI in multiplayer is not  significant. How to do it you might ask , it's simple as  use mods on serves and use mods on by  default in your game client.

This can work only if  servers owners will install server side  mods like :

no ambient AA mod - as default in FC;

lethality mod - make wings strong as in FC in the spirit of  hit metal or meet ;

gunner and pilot hit box mod - as default in FC (for better body hitbox);

reduced rate of fire - for more period fit;

 

Plus if you want gun dispersion similar to FC in ROF - server can use improved gunnery option.

 

Those mods do not reduce performance at all but mods  that can bring ROF to new standards in multiplayer !, very close what we have in  FC IMHO but more maps  and airplanes (early fun and more two-seaters for the job) and missions (not host two like present).

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...