Trek64Trek64

Help! I want to try VR!!

7 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I feel like that's pretty old tech compared to the Reverb and the Index.

Yes it is, even compared to Rift S as well.

23 hours ago, HullDown said:

How about an HTC vive pro?

VivePro (without lenses mod) has definetely the worse sweetspot of all VR headset I have tested.

On 12/15/2019 at 4:36 PM, chiliwili69 said:

Your CPU is special. It is a 4-channel RAM CPU. I really want as much info from this processors for IL-2 VR.

You said you can run it at 4.5GHz. I would be very much interested if you could run the Remagen benchmark to test the performance is just monitor:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/56485-benchmark-for-cpuram-performance-remagen-4002/

I think your PC is quite OK for Rift-S, Valve Index or even HP REverb. And in any case you can always rely on the ASW techniques if you are below the 80fps or 90fps.

What is so special about it?  What does 4-channel RAM CPU mean that is special?

10 minutes ago, Trek64Trek64 said:

Not a great deal really. Just uses 4 sticks together versus 2 sticks together. Puts more burden on the memory controller also.

Many of the higher end enthusiasts overclocking boards use dual channel ram.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, Trek64Trek64 said:

I am interested in studying the potential fps increase of CPUs with 4-channel RAM. I want to see if they are better (or not) for the same CPU frequencies than other dual-channel CPUs.

That´s why I created a separated section for those CPUs in the benchmark result table.

If you have some time ( about 10 minutes in total) you could follow the instructions of the provided thread and run the test in your PC. The more data we get the better for all of us.

• Like 1

I like my HTC vive pro. Problem is I have never tried anything different. Also I do use the prescription lenses. 

I am looking for the best VR for IL2.

1 hour ago, HullDown said:

I like my HTC vive pro. Problem is I have never tried anything different. Also I do use the prescription lenses. 

I am looking for the best VR for IL2.

Best is very subjective and depends on the individual.

I am extremely pleased with my Rift S while there are others that wrote it off for something like a Reverb or Index.

I use mine daily for many hours a week. Love it.

Only way to truly know is to actually try one you are interested in. Best to find someplace where can be returned if not satisfied.

Edited by dburne

14 hours ago, dburne said:

Best is very subjective and depends on the individual.

I am extremely pleased with my Rift S while there are others that wrote it off for something like a Reverb or Index.

I use mine daily for many hours a week. Love it.

Only way to truly know is to actually try one you are interested in. Best to find someplace where can be returned if not satisfied.

I've only tried the Oculus Rift CV1 which I bought as a deal with two touch controllers for £350. Every time I don't play it, after when I then go back and plug in the feeling is immense. I actually 'feel' like I'm there in that Spitfire and yeah, wow, when I look down and see the ground at 5000 feet, it feels like about 5000ft. The extra context and 'being there' feel turns it into something better than any other game has ever brought me. I know I'm waxing lyrical and there are better headsets out there, but, for me, only having played the standard Rift it's at no.1 spot with the power of the rig I've got.

Three Cheers for Il-2 and VR! Hip-hip...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Three Cheers for Il-2 and VR! Hip-hip...

Horray!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

Horray!

Absolutely!

Spent close to 5 hours today playing in the Bodenplatte Career with the Spit MK IX, great stuff!

• Upvote 1

It is an absolute blast to play in VR. Probably going to stick with my HTC pro until there is some fantastically new VR platform. 

Chiming in to this thread...am information gathering as to whether I can add VR to my system.  Primary games are IL2 and DCS flight sims.  Current hardware is dated but dont really wont to drop a big dollars on hardware.  Win 10,Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), AMD Rx580 GPU, 8GB Ram.  With my Freesync monitor I get great frame rates on high settings.  Very happy there.  Is anybody else using a similar system with VR?  Would not expect to get stellar frame rates on my sys.  But playable without detracting from the experience?  If so what VR headsets are out there to suit?  Have noticed the Rift S

Judging from the data collection here

which has been gathered by participants and collected by @chiliwili69 here

I doubt that you'll be able to enjoy VR even close fluently with that Computer, sorry man. It is simply too old. For VR, you want a CPU with a high overclock potential of around 4.8GHz (maybe 4.7GHz for the Rift S' lower frametime requirement), with AVX offset=0, and at least a GTX1080 or RTX2070 for the Rift S. The better this is, the higher your potential for supersampling.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf