Jason_Williams

Discussion of the Battle of Normandy Announcement

I'm trying to think of it the way I played Janes WW2 Fighters so many years ago.  I don't recall heavy bombers in that but I do recall a lot of ground support.

So far I haven't really enjoyed the ground support missions in any of the IL2 games.  Just not really my thing.  

Was hoping for something like European Air War with all the modern bells and whistles.

I'd pay for that!

(I just tried to fly a campaign mission. January 9, 1944. Not a speck of snow on the ground. I just quit. Not feeling it.)

Edited by Five_By_Five
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Laying some rectangles out on a map, I get the issue they Dev's are facing...lose Calais to snip Paris off the map, or lose real estate south of Caen to include Calais and also snip Paris out of the map. 

I still do not see why the map has to be a complete rectangle.  For example, why would it have to be:

157200008_AMap1.thumb.JPG.0a4c40b166b8c95b51b504a29bc9c003.JPG

but not:

1166294443_AMap2.thumb.jpg.8fd54d8391c775c9463f7ba7630afeff.jpg

Edited by unreasonable
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I still do not see why the map has to be a complete rectangle.  For example, why would it have to be:

157200008_AMap1.thumb.JPG.0a4c40b166b8c95b51b504a29bc9c003.JPG

but not:

1166294443_AMap2.thumb.jpg.8fd54d8391c775c9463f7ba7630afeff.jpg

Or they could make it like moscow, no fly zone but it would be there.

Also agree with others, lack of heavy bombers is bad :( maybe if they could do simple FM for use in night missions as AI only. It's better to have simple AI, FM that just fly in formation than not having them at all.

• Upvote 2

On 11/26/2019 at 5:11 PM, zukeaper said:

Great!!

I only wish I could figure out how to use the maps I bought.

The mix of steam versus direct is completely confusing me.

I bought modules like Kuban that I have never been able to use except going to other people's servers.

I'm afraid I'll skip further purchases till I can figure out how to actually use what I paid for... 

Why do guys buy this product on steam ? I´ll never get it.

PS: If you can´t get your Kuban running, you surely did contact the support ?

• Upvote 1

On the Moscow map you might notice the noflyzone goes through the entire map from north to south instead of just Moscow so it might be an gamelimit where you can't just make an square section off the map an noflyzone but have to make the entire border an noflyzone.

5 hours ago, ww2fighter20 said:

On the Moscow map you might notice the noflyzone goes through the entire map from north to south instead of just Moscow so it might be an gamelimit where you can't just make an square section off the map an noflyzone but have to make the entire border an noflyzone.

Another alternative is to just put in filler landscape, even if there really was a town there.  People will complain just as they did with the Normandy map but soit goes.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Another alternative is to just put in filler landscape, even if there really was a town there.

I wouldn't mind ,lets say, apple orchards. For calvados, obviously.

Wow - hard week at work so missed this announcement until now.

Amazing that almost all the planes that have been in zillions of wish threads lately are included like the Mossie, Me 410, Typhoon, Spit XIV, Ar 234  - and still a lot of people seem disappointed. And we get a huge map that can be used for BoB, battle of France etc... Awesome.

Yes, I would love to include the heavy bombers as well (time to bite the bullet and do the coding of the core engine to make that possible) - and PTO would be nice as well. But this planeset together with the stuff we got in BOBP really gives us a rather fully featured late ETO.

We just need that "Battle of Berlin" module after the PTO to top off the ETO with some 4 engined US/UK bombers and some late war USSR planes like the LA-7 and Yak-3. Add a He 219 as collectors and we are done with the late war :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, mazex said:

Amazing that almost all the planes that have been in zillions of wish threads lately are included like the Mossie, Me 410, Typhoon, Spit XIV, Ar 234  - and still a lot of people seem disappointed.... 

:

We just need some 4 engined US/UK bombers and some late war USSR planes like the LA-7 and Yak-3. Add a He 219...

😄

On 12/3/2019 at 8:25 AM, Feathered_IV said:

I think I’d sooner have a Storch than a Ju-87.  

would be nice for a VFR VR flight

Finally a MkXIV Spitfire! Been waiting for this forever in multiple different sims.

I fly both sides but nothing sucks more then going up against K4s in a MkIX and then listening to the guys with latest possible version of a 109 saying the variant doesn't matter that much while they all fly the fastest, best climbing, MW50 enabled latest 109 possible, that is years newer than the Spit fighting them.

Edited by AlphaZulu
typo
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mazex said:

Wow - hard week at work so missed this announcement until now.

Amazing that almost all the planes that have been in zillions of wish threads lately are included like the Mossie, Me 410, Typhoon, Spit XIV, Ar 234  - and still a lot of people seem disappointed. And we get a huge map that can be used for BoB, battle of France etc... Awesome.

Yes, I would love to include the heavy bombers as well (time to bite the bullet and do the coding of the core engine to make that possible) - and PTO would be nice as well. But this planeset together with the stuff we got in BOBP really gives us a rather fully featured late ETO.

We just need that "Battle of Berlin" module after the PTO to top off the ETO with some 4 engined US/UK bombers and some late war USSR planes like the LA-7 and Yak-3. Add a He 219 as collectors and we are done with the late war :)

I'm willing to bet that most of the folks who were asking for those aircraft are now very happy and the few that wanted something else are posting. One of those things where you never seem to be able to satisfy everyone but as long as most people are happy things seem to be fine!

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the campaigns/career. Someone has to play around with the mission editor and recreate D-Day. 

Also, all that water has to be filled with at least some new ships. 

18 hours ago, Quax said:

I have both. When I first used the standard updater it took hours, with many hang ups. Steam updates are flawless and fast.  And even now, for me,standard updating is unreliable and interminable.

If you are not having problems with the updater, I am happy for you. But for those of us who do, using a competent distribution company is a good idea.

9 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

I have both. When I first used the standard updater it took hours, with many hang ups. Steam updates are flawless and fast.  And even now, for me,standard updating is unreliable and interminable.

If you are not having problems with the updater, I am happy for you. But for those of us who do, using a competent distribution company is a good idea.

Yep. Imo the best option is just to buy Stalingrad through steam and then buy everything else from the website.

• Upvote 6

47 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Yep. Imo the best option is just to buy Stalingrad through steam and then buy everything else from the website.

This. I did same since day one and updating is flawless thru steam. I wish DCS was the same.

• 18 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I'm willing to bet that most of the folks who were asking for those aircraft are now very happy and the few that wanted something else are posting. One of those things where you never seem to be able to satisfy everyone but as long as most people are happy things seem to be fine!

• Yeah I totally agree, this Is one happy Bunny!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Edited by Jameswildwood

I have a very close family friend who just finished interviewing a RCAF Pilot Harry Hardy who flew a Typhoon for the 2nd TAF. 
This is his plane here with the iconic Pulverizer IV nose art.

image.png.90fe0a8891fe56018c93171cf4f68e25.png

It would be amazing if we could get that skin in game, he is still quite spry and very involved in telling his story.

I am sure he would be very interested in giving the game a try to fly his old bird. 

Here is the link to the interview for those interested.

http://activehistory.ca/2019/05/the-ghosts-of-the-tiffy-boys/

Along with and archive of RCAF Typhoon pilots stories.

http://www.thetyphoonproject.org/navigation.html 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

The Typhoon just looks like a plane made for ground attack: big chin radiator, giant cannon fairings, and rockets or bombs hanging off seemingly every inch of the wings. 😃

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Wingleader425 said:

I have a very close family friend who just finished interviewing a RCAF Pilot Harry Hardy who flew a Typhoon for the 2nd TAF. 
This is his plane here with the iconic Pulverizer IV nose art.

image.png.90fe0a8891fe56018c93171cf4f68e25.png

It would be amazing if we could get that skin in game, he is still quite spry and very involved in telling his story.

I am sure he would be very interested in giving the game a try to fly his old bird. 

Here is the link to the interview for those interested.

http://activehistory.ca/2019/05/the-ghosts-of-the-tiffy-boys/

Along with and archive of RCAF Typhoon pilots stories.

http://www.thetyphoonproject.org/navigation.html 

awesome thanks for that.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, AlphaZulu said:

Finally a MkXIV Spitfire! Been waiting for this forever in multiple different sims.

I fly both sides but nothing sucks more then going up against K4s in a MkIX and then listening to the guys with latest possible version of a 109 saying the variant doesn't matter that much while they all fly the fastest, best climbing, MW50 enabled latest 109 possible, that is years newer than the Spit fighting them.

You're kidding right? There isn't any 109 that can turn with a Spit..

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

You're kidding right? There isn't any 109 that can turn with a Spit..

Maybe he was referring to the initial turn and not the sustained turn. Given the power advantage of the Kurfürst it's absolutely possible to turn inside a MkIX for a short while. 

Of course this is not how a 109 is meant to be deployed against a Spitfire and you'll be dead if You don't separate before You have burned Your energy advantage. 

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2019 at 4:35 AM, unreasonable said:
On 12/4/2019 at 9:56 AM, Quax said:

Additionally Steam offers payment possibilities, that the website doesn't have. Not everyone has paypal or a creditcard to pay with. There are people around here, who like playing this game, but need the possibilities of Steam.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:08 PM, YuriAzrel said:

Intense disappointment. There goes the hope for pacific 😥

Normandy will be the first map with a large sea area, I think it's the prequel of the pacific...

Usually I do not buy collector's planes (8 different airframes are more than enough), the standard lineup is good to me. Moreover, I do not fly german planes, I can't stand to pretend to be a nazi, even if it's just a game.

I play on steam (I've started on steam and I do not buy early access software, so there's no difference to me); yes I'll have to wait the end of EA phase, but with moscow, stalingrad, kuban and bodenplatte I have already enought to play while I wait.

Will the next be pacific? Or we'll have a third map for the western front first?

Edited by nessuno0505

12 minutes ago, nessuno0505 said:

Normandy will be the first map with a large sea area, I think it's the prequel of the pacific...

you haven't played on the Kuban map, have you?

I've bought kuban but not yet played on it. I'm glad to hear there's sea on it.

We have three maps for eastern front, why not to add a 3rd map on western one before going pacific?

A battle of britain would be great!

29 minutes ago, nessuno0505 said:

Usually I do not buy collector's planes (8 different airframes are more than enough), the standard lineup is good to me. Moreover, I do not fly german planes, I can't stand to pretend to be a nazi, even if it's just a game.

I play on steam (I've started on steam and I do not buy early access software, so there's no difference to me); yes I'll have to wait the end of EA phase, but with moscow, stalingrad, kuban and bodenplatte I have already enought to play while I wait.

Will the next be pacific? Or we'll have a third map for the western front first?

And here we go again. Another ride on the germans=nazis Rollercoaster. Can You believe, that this is sort of insulting for those born on the wrong side of the borders? 

Btw... Why do You want to fly any soviet aircraft then? 

Just saying and no politics from my side. 

Edited by Blooddawn1942
  • Like 1

I am jazzed with the plane selection, it is fairly diverse for both factions with a lot of iconic aircraft, the map also opens a lot of possibility for a battle of Britain setting. 

The mosquito is a personal fave having seen one of the very few flying examples in person it is such a beautiful plane and those twin merlins sound amazing. 
Would love to see a few 4 engine bombers in the next few years, my father was part of the team that put FM213 back in the air, and has quite the collection of photos throughout the restoration. 
All in all it is an excellent choice for the next game and i cant wait to see how it turns out!

Cheers to the devs for continuing to keep us all on the hype train with each new release. 

41 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

And here we go again. Another ride on the germans=nazis Rollercoaster. Can You believe, that this is sort of insulting for those born on the wrong side of the borders? 

Just saying and no politics from my side. 

As an Italian, I admire the German people for what they managed to do for the former DDR after the unification: in Italy we have similar problems with the south of the country and we should learn from the Germans how to do it; however, during the war it is out of the question that the Germans were Nazis; unfortunately I must say that we Italians were fascists too, so it's not something against German people. This is not the right place to deal with politics, but the Soviet Union has helped to free Europe from Nazi-fascism and - whatever one may think of the communist regimen - this is history.

Edited by nessuno0505
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nessuno0505 said:

There is not going to be a Pacific until further notice - it isn't possible. I think Jason should have a stickied post of this (and clarify further) as it seems people are still missing this:

57 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Because the IL-2 is freaking cool!  :cool:

• Upvote 2

I don't know when the game first came out (the first three installments) you had a choice between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia. These countries are not exactly the Boy's Scouts. LOL. Claiming that the Soviets saved Europe is a serious gloss over the facts. Communism in Eastern Europe was anything but "liberating."  Totalitarianism is bad whether "left" or "right." Anyway, with Bodenplatte and Normandy, those who are too unconformable with history can find some comfort. I personally like playing the bad guys. I am good in regular life, best to have a pseudo personality online and in gaming. 

A better more healthy perspective is to view the conflict as a conflict of weapons. Leave the ideology to the politics of the time and focus only on the machines of war. In that way, one should not have a problem of stepping into a Panzer, T-34, 109 or Yak. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Because the IL-2 is freaking cool!  :cool:

Not only the IL-2. I've great passion for the most Russian/Soviet aircraft. :)

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Not only the IL-2. I've great passion for the most Russian/Soviet aircraft. :)

I hear ya. I prefer the Russian planes. But given the quality of BOX aircraft, they're all gorgeous.

But still, the IL2 is/was literally the name of the game for the last 20 years. It's all about the flying tank. :cool:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nessuno0505 said:

however, during the war it is out of the question that the Germans were Nazis

If I am understanding this correctly, this is incredibly offensive and you should re think some of the things you've posted

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Let me get this straight...

We're all sitting at home pretending/re-enacting hyper-violent parts of a war that killed 50 million people, and some are taking offense at what occurs during the discussions of said hyper-violent pretendings?

Yeah. I'm going to have lunch. :coffee:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I repeat it again: I do not want to offend german people: today Germany is the economic engine of Europe, they build wonderful cars (Ferrari is better 😜) and I think here in Italy we have to learn from Germans how to organize things and make them work; nevertheless Hitler won the elections and the squares were full of people. Here in Italy - even if Mussolini took power with a coup - people filled squares too and hailed the war. Fortunately, those times are over and now we can play thinking of it as conflict of weapons - as someone stated - and enjoying the incredible machines our grandparents built. As far as I'm concerned, I prefer to play the winners side but there are 8 planes to choose for every map, so as to meet everyone's tastes.

3 minutes ago, nessuno0505 said:

and enjoying the incredible machines our grandparents built

I object to that! My Father built aircraft during WWII. 😉