Engine Modes & timings

Hi all,

a question about the engine modes.

Example from the BF-109 F4:

Engine modes:

Nominal (unlimited time): 2300 RPM, 1.15 ata

Combat power (up to 30 minutes): 2500 RPM, 1.3 ata

Emergency power (up to 1 minute): 2700 RPM, 1.42 ata

Is that "up to 30 mins / up to 1 min" the absolute (cumulated) time (over the whole flight) or max continuous time?

If continuous: When i reduce power to the next lower mode (e.g. after 10 mins 1.3 ata combat power to nominal 1.15 ata), does the combat power "recharge"?

How can i know, how long it needs to recharge, meaning how long i have the use nominal power? And does combat power recharge emergency power?

Edited by PaladinX

2 hours ago, PaladinX said:

Hi all,

a question about the engine modes.

Example from the BF-109 F4:

Engine modes:

Nominal (unlimited time): 2300 RPM, 1.15 ata

Combat power (up to 30 minutes): 2500 RPM, 1.3 ata

Emergency power (up to 1 minute): 2700 RPM, 1.42 ata

Is that "up to 30 mins / up to 1 min" the absolute (cumulated) time (over the whole flight) or max continuous time?

If continuous: When i reduce power to the next lower mode (e.g. after 10 mins 1.3 ata combat power to nominal 1.15 ata), does the combat power "recharge"?

How can i know, how long it needs to recharge, meaning how long i have the use nominal power? And does combat power recharge emergency power?

You can test this in Quick mission if you turn on in realisam settings instrument panel, then you will see messages from game in tech chat that tell you when your timer is expired and when is recharged, so you know for each airplane when and how long it lasts and takes to recharge.

For some reason this dosent work if that option in realisam settings is turned off, so you can not know when you recharg and can use it again.

https://imgur.com/PH7C8pl

On 109s its simple, ratio of expired to recharge is 1:1, so for 1 min on emergancy you need to fly 1min off emergancy to recharg it, and on any airplane recharg is posible on settings that are lower then one your recharging, so emrgancy can be recharged on combat , combat on continuous, and time is always same, it dosent recharg faster emergancy on continues then on combat.

"the absolute (cumulated) time (over the whole flight) or max continuous time?"

you use it for lets say 30s, and then go to combat for 30s , you recharged that 30s and you can again use it for full 1min.

If you use it for 30s and then 10s on combat, you recharged only 10s and after that you can use it for only 40s.

You can extend time of each settings by using slightly lower power, but again if the messages in tech chat dont work on expert settings then its gamble as you dont know when exactly timer expired. So as you gain altitude and power settings on 100% are lower (ata) time is no longer just 1min but longer, but as messages are buged and dont show in expert you cant know how mutch longer.

Everything abow time that is specified in specs for airplane in game is random extra time, and risk of fail of engine. So in 1min limit,1min is safe time and no risk of engine fail. Abow 1min its risk, and it can be ok sometimes up to +1min or just +1s abow safe 1min limit.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Upvote 2

@77.CountZero I can´t thank you enough for your post. I never tried it myself, and I had false idea that combat power stack up with emergency... I, fool, was using mostly "combat" in fight, with only 10 seconds in emergency when needed to score. I was also running away not to be gang-banged, only in full combat power... poor me.

What is with "boosted" time, does it exclude emergency time also, or not? (i.e. Bf109 F-2, E-7?)

I dont remenber, i would have to try it again, and see if by using boosted you dont eat time you have on emergancy on thouse airplanes or does it recover same, as i know that on for example later airplanes when you turn on boost you can last 10min insted 3min on emergancy, but on F2 and E7 its working differant so i would guess that when you use bosted you will also use emergancy timer, and will recover it only on combat.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 11:43 AM, 77.CountZero said:

You can test this in Quick mission if you turn on in realisam settings instrument panel, then you will see messages from game in tech chat that tell you when your timer is expired and when is recharged, so you know for each airplane when and how long it lasts and takes to recharge.

For some reason this dosent work if that option in realisam settings is turned off, so you can not know when you recharg and can use it again.

On 109s its simple, ratio of expired to recharge is 1:1, so for 1 min on emergancy you need to fly 1min off emergancy to recharg it, and on any airplane recharg is posible on settings that are lower then one your recharging, so emrgancy can be recharged on combat , combat on continuous, and time is always same, it dosent recharg faster emergancy on continues then on combat.

you use it for lets say 30s, and then go to combat for 30s , you recharged that 30s and you can again use it for full 1min.

If you use it for 30s and then 10s on combat, you recharged only 10s and after that you can use it for only 40s.

You can extend time of each settings by using slightly lower power, but again if the messages in tech chat dont work on expert settings then its gamble as you dont know when exactly timer expired. So as you gain altitude and power settings on 100% are lower (ata) time is no longer just 1min but longer, but as messages are buged and dont show in expert you cant know how mutch longer.

Everything abow time that is specified in specs for airplane in game is random extra time, and risk of fail of engine. So in 1min limit,1min is safe time and no risk of engine fail. Abow 1min its risk, and it can be ok sometimes up to +1min or just +1s abow safe 1min limit.

can you do that unlimited times? I mean, for example 1 minute full, 1 minute in combat power, infinite times? or there's a limit of times you can do it (ignoring the obvious limit the fuel is)?

i didnt try it on 109f4, but on airplanes that have boost like for example p-47 you can use 5min only 3x as your limited to 15min, and so on... with other airplanes that have MW50 for example your limited to amount of it on airplane, on how many times you can repet full use after recharge.

Edited by 77.CountZero

6 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

can you do that unlimited times? I mean, for example 1 minute full, 1 minute in combat power, infinite times? or there's a limit of times you can do it (ignoring the obvious limit the fuel is)?

Technically yes, but overheat will also force you to pull back the throttle. And combat power is max 30min so you‘ll need to „recharge“ that too

i just checked it and it seams its not same as on late 109s where ratio is 1:1, flew on 109f4 untill i got message that emergancy time is run out exactly after 1min, go back to combat and i had to wait for 13min to get message that emergancy is fully recharged. From tests i did on late 109s i tought all 109s had same, dont know why on 109g14 10min of emergancy recharges in 10min, but on 109f4 1min of emergancy recharges in 13min lol, and as you dont have messages showing in techchat if you dont have instrument pane turned on you dont know. 

Will check how its on F2 and E7 now, this is even more stranger then i tought before with how some airplanes have 1:1 and some  up to 1:3, didnt expect 109F4 to have it 1:13 

Edited by 77.CountZero

Does emergency time change depending on throttle? Like if I go emergency mode - 80 percent throttle, will that last longer then emergency mode - 100 percent throttle?

21 minutes ago, ShadowStalker887 said:

Does emergency time change depending on throttle? Like if I go emergency mode - 80 percent throttle, will that last longer then emergency mode - 100 percent throttle?

Yes it will, but your slower, and only by having messages enabled youll know for how long it lasts, thats why its important they fix this bug that alowes us to see mesages all the time in tech chat like other messages and not only when instrument panel is on

i check 109f2 and e7, and using boosted will use up emergancy so you have to go back to combat to recharge emergancy as by using 1min bosted you used all of emergancy also.

And it got fully recharged after 13min flying on combat, same as on 109f4. ( tested G4 and G6 and its same 1min recharges in 13min flying on combat , same time if you fly on continues)

im already more happyer now,  i tought p-51 has it worst with how timers work in game, nice to know early 109s have it that mutch wors lol 13min to fully recharg 1min of emergancy.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

@77.CountZero I can´t thank you enough for your post. I never tried it myself, and I had false idea that combat power stack up with emergency... I, fool, was using mostly "combat" in fight, with only 10 seconds in emergency when needed to score. I was also running away not to be gang-banged, only in full combat power... poor me.

What is with "boosted" time, does it exclude emergency time also, or not? (i.e. Bf109 F-2, E-7?)

It depends on the plane. Some planes, Combat expends Emergency power, some don't, some Emergency expends Combat. 

It all depends on what the aircraft flight manuals said at the time, and is as consistent as those were. 

You just have to test it for the plane you want to fly. 

4 hours ago, ShadowStalker887 said:

Yes, it does. 

5 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

Yes it will, but your slower, and only by having messages enabled youll know for how long it lasts, thats why its important they fix this bug that alowes us to see mesages all the time in tech chat like other messages and not only when instrument panel is on

i check 109f2 and e7, and using boosted will use up emergancy so you have to go back to combat to recharge emergancy as by using 1min bosted you used all of emergancy also.

And it got fully recharged after 13min flying on combat, same as on 109f4. ( tested G4 and G6 and its same 1min recharges in 13min flying on combat , same time if you fly on continues)

im already more happyer now,  i tought p-51 has it worst with how timers work in game, nice to know early 109s have it that mutch wors lol 13min to fully recharg 1min of emergancy.

😄😄It appears that you havent flown the P 40 😄😃😥

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 9:43 AM, 77.CountZero said:

Where do you get your information from?

I read your post, thinking... "wow, I had no idea!  That's great... goes completely against everything I've ever thought after playing this game for the past couple years and how long it takes to get the message "emergency mode recovered"

I just tested this 109 F-4 1:1 theory, and it does not seem to be true at all.

I put the throttle to 100%, 3000m alt.  after 1 minute, I got the message that emergency time has been exceeded.

I pulled throttle back down to 50% (just to be absolutely sure), let it sit that way for 1 minute.  Then exactly when that minute was up, I put it back up to 100%.  Exactly 6 seconds later, I got the message again "emergency time has been exceeded". I then tested it again, letting it sit for 5 minutes after getting the exceeded time message.  Put it back to 100%, and it lasted 30 seconds before I got the exceeded time message again.  Then I brought it back down to continuous, waiting to see how long until I got the emergency mode recovered message...it came right at about 10 minutes later.  At this rate, it would be a 10:1 ratio, FAR from 1:1.   

EDIT:  Just saw your post retracting your statement, so you can disregard this message.

Edited by FeuerFliegen

I hope devs will completely rework engine model, or at least give an option to disable those timers. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, FeuerFliegen said:

My mistake, i thought germans had same recharge tehnicks for all 109s, but it looks like they had poor recharg scientists early in war, and later they got to some breakthrough in recharge technology. But no word about it in ww2 documentarys or books so who knows what happend, its a mistery how this recharge works so mutch differant on airplanes.

15 hours ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

😄😄It appears that you havent flown the P 40 😄😃😥

The airplane of nightmares :)