Content Downloader - Install new missions with a click of a mouse

Hi,
I am developing a software that lets users browse for game content, such as Single Player Missions or Campaigns, skins etc and download them directly to your installed folder of IL2 (automatically detected by registry, Steam version currently not supported).

Current content available:

• 5 Scripted Campaigns
  • 3 missions including Jade_Monkeys 50 level mission pack.
  • 2 skins for Moscow Sky campaign (downloaded separately)
  • More content for IL2 and  Rise of Flight and other games coming soon!

Currently the application supports:

• An option to choose to "Resave" the downloaded content. This option must be checked before adding a new download. I believe this will help update the downloaded missions to the latest version and help when there is a new game update. (Please note - this option is very CPU dependent and takes a lot of time. 50 mission pack takes 15~ minutes with i7-9700K CPU)
  • When browsing for content you can add downloads to queue, like content (rate it), and see how many times it was downloaded.
  • New missions and campaigns are being saved to the right place so all you have to do is click "Download" and then just run the game and enjoy new content.
  • If you have Steam version, currently the software does not know to look for your game location. You will have to pick your game folder manually (each restart but it will be fixed in future versions).
  • The servers are located in Europe and the downloads should be fast. Let me know otherwise.
  • All content is being scanned before uploaded, I take security very seriously.
  • You can register now but upload new content will be possible in the next versions.

Download:

New version 0.2 is available:

http://www.send.org.il/ContentDownloader_0.2.exe

Whats New in 0.2?
- Added resave missions menu that will scan all your .Mission files and let you choose which one to resave.
- News page with the ability to click "Show New Content" button to see the new content.
- Left category menu is now resizable.
- Slight GUI redesign and the ability to choose white/yellow backgrounds (Still Work in Progress).

Previous Versions:

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GmiyWrSgS7ZK3Vw3A0OaIQ9gmFL0mcJ9/view?usp=sharing (This is a zip file, unzip, run NDP452-KB2901954-Web.exe to install .NET Framework, then run ContentDownloader.exe)
    VirusTotal scan for the zip file.
  2. http://www.send.org.il/ContentDownloader_0.1.exe (3.4 MB)
    VirusTotal scan for the installation exe file currently detects 4 false positives, I believe because I used InnoSetup to create the installation. I will check it.

You can see my development progress here:
https://www.meistertask.com/app/project/xqkyYAjr/content-manager

Work in progress:

• Support for Rise of Flight (currently there are already categories for this game but no content available - its empty) and support for other games, maybe DCS World etc.
  • Registered users will be able to upload their own content and share with the community (almost done).
  • New uploaded content is automatically being scanned by your Windows Defender. If scan is successful, a "secured" icon will be visible near each download. If the scan failed, no icon will be visible near the download and users will know which content is secured. (almost done).
  • Admin users will be able to approve user uploaded content to make the downloads as safe as possible (work in progress).

What I plan to add next:

• Language translations, support for Russian and other languages.
  • Plugins. Add a plugin to "Resave" missions and Campaigns, show all existing content in your game and let user choose what to resave.
  • If you have any ideas, please let me know at Zeevs86@gmail.com

Known issues for version 0.0.1:

• In Windows 7 there is an issue with left menu being cut. Will be fixed in next version.
  • Did you find an issue? This is still early alpha version 0.0.1, so please let me know of any bugs you find at Zeevs86@gmail.com (Feedbacks are also welcome :))

Version 0.0.1 was tested on Windows7 SP1 Home (minor issues with menu), Window 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.

Pictures:

ContentDownloader_Pic6.thumb.PNG.018ddecc86751115944b993ea9b3ebb9.PNGContentDownloader_Pic7.thumb.PNG.0b349b89e0853879490f5331cd70a72a.PNGContentDownloader_Pic8.thumb.PNG.0a4975ae97d2afbe92e1e7e5c79a6e72.PNG

Picture of resaved missions after download:

ContentDownloader_Pic4.thumb.PNG.a3a08c1ca117f48ccbe9f49368592082.PNG

Pictures:

Edited by Zeev
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6

• Jason_Williams pinned this topic
On 11/7/2019 at 4:33 AM, SAG said:

Great idea, thank you!

Content update:

- Updated the Kuban Interactive Playground to version 1.3.1
- Added Campaign "Alberts Life" by Syndicate.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have added more content.
3 Scripted Campaigns:

• PANZERKNACKER
  • FORTRESS STALINGRAD 
  • Fire and Ice - Bf 110 E-2

Single Player Missions:

• Flying Circus Vol 1 - Motherbrains Missions
  • P51 Free Flight - Interactive Mission with Rearm
  • Thanks 2

Just installed it, resizing the window is a bit un-precise as for the arrows, and i miss that it wont keep settings regarding resizing. 

Also the going back to previous pages seems a bit awkward ... selecting folder locations and naming fuctions could be another time saver.

Great stuff nevertheless !

Edited by jollyjack
correction
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Just installed it, resizing the window is a bit un-precise as for the arrows, and i miss that it wont keep settings regarding resizing. 

Also the going back to previous pages seems a bit awkward ... selecting folder locations and naming fuctions could be another time saver.

Great stuff nevertheless !

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I will try to fix the resizing and navigation issues you have mentioned in the next version.

What version of IL2 are you using, Steam? Could you please provide more information on selecting folder issues you are having? Currently the application does not remember game selected folder by user if you have Steam version, but if you have a regular version it should detect the installation folder automatically. If that is not the case please let me know.

In any case, to add support for Steam version I would need volunteers to help me find the registry locatuon that stores the Steam game location.

Edited by Zeev

This looks very promising! I’ve been wondering why nobody had yet developed a mod manager for the Il-2/FC series the way so many other games have done. This is a great step in the right direction! Downloaded yesterday and looking forward to seeing it expand.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

New version 0.2 is available:

http://www.send.org.il/ContentDownloader_0.2.exe

Whats New in 0.2?
- Added resave missions menu that will scan all your .Mission files and let you choose which one to resave.
- News page with the ability to click "Show New Content" button to see the new content.
- Left category menu is now resizable.
- Slight GUI redesign and the ability to choose white/yellow backgrounds (Still Work in Progress).

Youtube video demonstrating the new Mission Resaver menu:

Edited by Zeev

Okay I see you have been doing some work with resaving missions after game updates. That was one question I had with this software. Does this program automatically inform those who have it installed that a resave is required?

While this has been addressed in your posting above I had a question with new or updated content for those Mission Designers who may not wish to have the program installed?

Suppose the mission creator adds new content or is required to change objects within the mission due to an update in order for the mission to work and posts this on the BoX Forum along with the new version. Could this program be directed to redownload the new version automatically for folks using the program?

Tip

5 hours ago, [DBS]Tx_Tip said:

1. Okay I see you have been doing some work with resaving missions after game updates. That was one question I had with this software. Does this program automatically inform those who have it installed that a resave is required?

2. While this has been addressed in your posting above I had a question with new or updated content for those Mission Designers who may not wish to have the program installed?

3. Suppose the mission creator adds new content or is required to change objects within the mission due to an update in order for the mission to work and posts this on the BoX Forum along with the new version. Could this program be directed to redownload the new version automatically for folks using the program?

Tip

Hi,

I have numbered your questions.
1. I am not sure I understand your question, but I will try my best to answer.
When a "Resave" function in Content Downloader is triggered, it first looks at your computer registry to find game path. When the path has been found, it goes to PATH\bin\resaver and copies all the files to c:\ProgramData\ContentDownloader\Resaver folder, then runs the resaver.exe with the appropriate program arguments to resave a mission you have selected to download or resave.
The purpose of copying the resaver app from IL2 folder into ProgramData is to avoid Windows Security issues, because I have found out that running the resaver from within Program Files folder will not work.

2. If I understand your question correctly, the purpose of Content Downloader is to automatically locate IL2 main folder, download the new mission and then install it in the right path of IL game folder.

3. All the mission files are stored not in this forum but on a separate hosting server.
Unfortunately currently the application does not support updates. If a new version of a mission is being released by an author, I need to reupload the new files and repost the new mission in the application.

The application supports a registered user to upload content within the application, but currently its not so user friendly so I did not release this feature yet.

Hope I answered your questions, if you have any other questions please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Zeev, nice work; i'll try it after i backed-up my PC. Last time with 0.1 i had some problems with a stuck windows, but it could have been from another cause maybe too.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:03 AM, jollyjack said:

Hi Zeev, nice work; i'll try it after i backed-up my PC. Last time with 0.1 i had some problems with a stuck windows, but it could have been from another cause maybe too.

Thanks.
Unfortunately because of lack of visitors its not worthwhile continue paying for hosting services. For the last two months I paid 1-2 $ per one visitor (20$ a month).
If some one can help either promoting the software, take ownership (I have no problem sharing the source code) or donating money I will be glad to get any help.

Currently the software will take time to load and will show blank page.
I hope to update it so at least users will be able to use the offline features like resaving the missions, but I need to find time for this.

I do hope to continue support the project with additional games and maybe if I get more visitors it will be worthwhile in the future to continue renting the server to be able to host the software and its files.

Sorry if I have disappointed some one with the closing of this application.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:03 PM, JD_LincsUK said:

@Zeev - great potential, thanks for the ute - when I tried to go to the site you linked to:

I am required to log in

Sorry for the late reply.
I really appreciate your feedback.
Unfortunately I have decided to stop supporting this software for the time being. (for more details please see my post above).

Edited by Zeev

• 2 weeks later...
Johnny_Dioxin

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for trying. Shame I didn't update anything up to now - too busy with other things atm.

Just for your info, I host several websites with guides for various flight simulators and also have files available for public download to use in their kneeboards in DCS World and all is hosted on Google - Google Drive for the downloadable files and Google Sites for the website (like the new one I just started, linked in my sig). Initially I didn't pay for these at all, it was free with my Google+ account.

I don't know if they charge everyone now that Google+ has been closed down, but I decided to use their pay option and it's the princely sum of £1.56 (call it $2) a month - or £16 a year, for 100GB, which includes everything.

Might be worth considering.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 2:12 PM, JD_LincsUK said:

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for trying. Shame I didn't update anything up to now - too busy with other things atm.

Just for your info, I host several websites with guides for various flight simulators and also have files available for public download to use in their kneeboards in DCS World and all is hosted on Google - Google Drive for the downloadable files and Google Sites for the website (like the new one I just started, linked in my sig). Initially I didn't pay for these at all, it was free with my Google+ account.

I don't know if they charge everyone now that Google+ has been closed down, but I decided to use their pay option and it's the princely sum of £1.56 (call it $2) a month - or £16 a year, for 100GB, which includes everything.

Might be worth considering.

Hi,

Just noticed your post.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the application is using SQL database and this requires a hosting service.

On 2/23/2020 at 3:11 PM, Zeev said:

Hi,

Just noticed your post.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the application is using SQL database and this requires a hosting service.

OK so I have to delete this tool on my pc because it has been stopped ? 

13 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

OK so I have to delete this tool on my pc because it has been stopped ? 

You can, but it is not mandatory. It just runs when you start it. It will not do any harm if you leave it on your computer.

1 hour ago, Zeev said:

You can, but it is not mandatory. It just runs when you start it. It will not do any harm if you leave it on your computer.

Yeah but it show nothing only a blanc pull down menus, as in you video “ il2 Battle of stalingrad” shows up, in my case nothing. So I guess after reading this is because of the stopping of the hoisting of BoS stuff. 

Pity you did stop with this handy tool. 

Edited by Dutch2

15 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Yeah but it show nothing only a blanc pull down menus, as in you video “ il2 Battle of stalingrad” shows up, in my case nothing. So I guess after reading this is because of the stopping of the hoisting of BoS stuff. 

Pity you did stop with this handy tool. 

Yeah I feel the same. It took me several weeks to develop it but sadly I had less visits per month than what I pay in dollars for renting the hosting services. If I pay 20 USD per month, I got 10-15 visits per month for avarage.

If some one could help with promotion/payment I would gladly return the appplication and continue working on it.

If some one want to help donating money, help manage the application content and or help promote the app I will gladly welcome any help.

Hey guys, good news - Thanks to ExO KONFLICT who helps me support this project, I have re-opened the hosting of the files and now the software works again.
This will actually not only return the Content Downloader software back to life, but also motivate me to continue supporting this tool and releasing new versions, as well as more tools in the future. I have already fixed some bugs and version 0.0.3 will be out soon.

I have also started working on an offline tool that, if hopefully everything will work, will assist you install new missions downloaded from this or other website (it scans user downloads folder for new missions and detects if its IL2 BoX content).

In short - you can already start using Content Downloader 0.0.2 now or wait for a new version soon :)

Edited by Zeev
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, blue_max said:

awesome,  as soon as the next version is online I'm jumping in :) Thanks for the efforts!

Thanks, I am glad you like it.
In the meantime I find more and more bugs I need to fix, so I think I will postpone the release for a couple of more days.
Anyway, here is a sneak peek at a slightly improved GUI, I feel like with more icons it will be less "empty"..
image.thumb.png.e80a54d5654af0d8052334013858a192.png

looks great!

OK, so I have a question: besides the nice scripted SP campaigns, I'm mostly interested in playing co-op with my friends. But our main problem is that with the official coop server option you can't respawn. That really sucks, because we're all pretty bad pilots. So now we tried doing some generated missions for dogfights (using the python based mission generator). It's oke, but the AI flights are being generated far away, and the spawning points are similarly quite far away, so we need to do way too much searching and too little fighting. Would this tool help us find our perfect online experience?

4 minutes ago, blue_max said:

looks great!

OK, so I have a question: besides the nice scripted SP campaigns, I'm mostly interested in playing co-op with my friends. But our main problem is that with the official coop server option you can't respawn. That really sucks, because we're all pretty bad pilots. So now we tried doing some generated missions for dogfights (using the python based mission generator). It's oke, but the AI flights are being generated far away, and the spawning points are similarly quite far away, so we need to do way too much searching and too little fighting. Would this tool help us find our perfect online experience?

Thanks.
Regarding multiplayer, I am afraid currently not, there is a multiplayer category for IL2 in this tool but its currently empty, and I am myself more of a single player guy..
If you or others have any suggestion for any good multiplayer content I would be glad to upload it.

Edited by Zeev

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this Zeev! I have one request, is there a way to point this to the /Steam/Steamapps/common/IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad folder? It currently defaults to /1C Game Studios/IL-2 Great Battles folder and installs there. I've copied/pasted the Campaigns and Skins folder over since I have to run through Steam to get all my content.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, Icer said:

Thank you for this Zeev! I have one request, is there a way to point this to the /Steam/Steamapps/common/IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad folder? It currently defaults to /1C Game Studios/IL-2 Great Battles folder and installs there. I've copied/pasted the Campaigns and Skins folder over since I have to run through Steam to get all my content.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.
I did not think about this scenario, the algorithm works like this:

1. Load all possible registry information from database.

2. Search your PC for all registry.
3. If found registry, check if folder exists.
4. If folder exists, set the current active folder.

Since you have two copies, it will always select the one found by registry, and for now, the only registry in database is set for the website store and not Steam.
But I will try to implement a feature to "override" the game location by user and remember the selection.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Dan_Taipan

Hi Zeev,

This looks like a great tool.

Do you think you will add in future the ability to download alot of the 4k skins that are released?

The missions/campaigns I already have installed since it's a small number, but the skins can be hundreds of clicks to download and install thus would save alot by automation with an app.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Dan_Taipan said:

Hi Zeev,

This looks like a great tool.

Do you think you will add in future the ability to download alot of the 4k skins that are released?

The missions/campaigns I already have installed since it's a small number, but the skins can be hundreds of clicks to download and install thus would save alot by automation with an app.

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks.

Due to its size I prefer not to upload much of the skins but if a campaign or mission pack requires them I do upload (Moscow Sky, Tips mission pack, Kaiserschlacht scripted campaign etc).
Maybe in future version I will move the files to google drive and it will be much easier for me to upload large files.

Edited by Zeev
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
caricolaaaa

Hi. I have installed version 2.0 but it does not recognize the simulator. Is there a way to manually set the path?

Also say that I have installed the simulator store launcher (not steam) in its default path. I love your program. Thank you

Is BoS required for this?  I have Bodenplatte and Kuban, and when i start the program there is nothing under "Select Game" or "Tag" and none of the fields are populated.

Unless I am missing something?

On 5/29/2020 at 5:00 PM, caricolaaaa said:

Hi. I have installed version 2.0 but it does not recognize the simulator. Is there a way to manually set the path?

Also say that I have installed the simulator store launcher (not steam) in its default path. I love your program. Thank you

Upon investigation I see that the hosting provider messed up my database.
I have opened a ticket, hopefully they will fix it as soon as possible.

• Thanks 1

• SYN_Haashashin unpinned this topic