Sign in to follow this  
Shellofaman

Spotting Contacts/Icon Settings & RESHADE options

Hi there,

Ok here is my suggestion/request. Basically, I play on multiplayer servers that have realism on. I am training on navigation and the like. 1 thing I would like to ask pilots/devs is this. Do you know how to alter the icon settings so only a tiny icon appears for the plane? I find it unrealistic with the current graphical settings of not being able to identify airplanes at a certain distance. IMO, in real life you would be able to identify planes based on markings and wing shape etc but with the way the graphics work in this game, it is almost impossible. 

I am using ReShade and using Technicolor, Clarifty, Colorfullness and levels as my graphics extensions to make this more clearer but even then I was wondering if others could post here and give me tips on what settings ppl use for their Reshade?

For the devs, would it be possible to put tiny icons in the options [as a setting to swtich on/off] so you can tell if it's a friendly or enemy at obvious distances that would've been able to tell in real life? I find the fact that sometimes planes just dissapear to reappear again and the fact that its so hard to spot contacts from high above if they are low unless you see tracers. I mean I'm not too fazed about that so to speak but in certain instances it shouldn't be too hard and yet with a tiny black dot that by contrast appears the same as the background, it just isn't realistic. 

The current settings state the name of the plane and type which breaks the immersion. I was wondering if it's possible to have the tiny traingles as red or blue to indicate friend or foe. At a closer distance, any experienced pilot should be able to figure out what plane type it is and thus not lose the immersion.

Maybe at really close distances, the icons can dissapear altogether? Is this too hard to code? I'd imagine not.

Anyway my 2 cents.

p.s. Please let me know what Reshade options you guys use. I found this video which I will post which has a great tutorial to use Reshade. He only used 2 things. I found another video which Ill link as well which had a general use for Reshade which I applied a few more graphical touches with. So basically I have the following on Reshade on:

1. Clarity

2. Colourfullness

3.Technicolor

4. Vibrance

5. Levels

I found these to be sufficient to brighten, decrease the gamma, thereby increasing the blackness of contacts which as per the video makes a bit of a difference to spotting contacts. However, if you add any more, it seems to affect the FPS.

Currently with various tips, I got my FPS to run at 120 fps on offline and at about 80-100 fps on this aussie server. This used to be 120 fps as well but with the new update 3.201, I noticed FPS decrease but after tinkering around with some options after reading different threads I got it back to 120 fps.

Video 1: How to use Reshade particularly for Il2 BoX

Video 2: How to use Reshade in General

• Thanks 1

I will check this out now. Thank you for posting. Been having a trouble with spotting with recent patches.

EDIT: Although I do not like the 0.5 GAMMA. (Way too dark for me!) 

I do like the 2 changes to ReShade: Colorfulness and Clarity.

Jury is still out yet whether it helps with spotting but it does seem to make "black dots blacker"

Edited by Tipsi

Did you change any of the values of the specific reshade add ons or are they stock?

I experimented. I originally used stock. You can run a quick mission then pause it then adjust each one till it's good. I'm guessing it would be different for each monitor. Stock seems to work well but I think I adjusted clarity a bit. I basically ran a quick mission where I had a 2k advantage then paused the game when contacts were below me, then fiddled around with the settings until it worked for me. Everything else I used at stock

OP if you’re trying to make a bug report you need to disable Reshade or any mods.