Sign in to follow this  
Shellofaman

Spotting Contacts/Icon Settings & RESHADE options

Hi there,

Ok here is my suggestion/request. Basically, I play on multiplayer servers that have realism on. I am training on navigation and the like. 1 thing I would like to ask pilots/devs is this. Do you know how to alter the icon settings so only a tiny icon appears for the plane? I find it unrealistic with the current graphical settings of not being able to identify airplanes at a certain distance. IMO, in real life you would be able to identify planes based on markings and wing shape etc but with the way the graphics work in this game, it is almost impossible. 

I am using ReShade and using Technicolor, Clarifty, Colorfullness and levels as my graphics extensions to make this more clearer but even then I was wondering if others could post here and give me tips on what settings ppl use for their Reshade?

For the devs, would it be possible to put tiny icons in the options [as a setting to swtich on/off] so you can tell if it's a friendly or enemy at obvious distances that would've been able to tell in real life? I find the fact that sometimes planes just dissapear to reappear again and the fact that its so hard to spot contacts from high above if they are low unless you see tracers. I mean I'm not too fazed about that so to speak but in certain instances it shouldn't be too hard and yet with a tiny black dot that by contrast appears the same as the background, it just isn't realistic. 

The current settings state the name of the plane and type which breaks the immersion. I was wondering if it's possible to have the tiny traingles as red or blue to indicate friend or foe. At a closer distance, any experienced pilot should be able to figure out what plane type it is and thus not lose the immersion.

Maybe at really close distances, the icons can dissapear altogether? Is this too hard to code? I'd imagine not.

Anyway my 2 cents.

p.s. Please let me know what Reshade options you guys use. I found this video 

• Like 2

Really good video documenting planes disappearing and reappearing. Are you using any mods or reshade in this example?

if you can repeat this in the base game, post it over to the bug reports section along with the track from the game. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

Yea I considered posting this in the bugs section. I use the ones the guy claims in the video [Clarifty/Colorfullness] but I found another video on another IL2 Thread which had explanations and uses for Reshade so I added another 2: Technicolor and Vibrance. Experimenting with different combinations I have figured out i get the same FPS with these on as with vanilla. So I use the following:

1. Clarity

2. Colourfullness

3.Technicolor

4. Vibrance

5. Levels

I found these to be sufficient to brighten, decrease the gamma, thereby increasing the blackness of contacts which as per the video makes a bit of a difference to spotting contacts. However, if you add any more, it seems to affect the FPS.

Currently with various tips, I got my FPS to run at 120 fps on offline and at about 80-100 fps on this aussie server. This used to be 120 fps as well but with the new update 3.201, I noticed FPS decrease but after tinkering around with some options after reading different threads I got it back to 120 fps.

Ill post these now in the Bugs thread

23 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Really good video documenting planes disappearing and reappearing. Are you using any mods or reshade in this example?

if you can repeat this in the base game, post it over to the bug reports section along with the track from the game. 

This is very easy to repeat... just play with clouds and you’ll see...

and as as stated in the video, devs are aware of it and aren’t doing anything about it.

they do have a new cloud texture or something coming our way but not a fix for this.

• Like 1

I have not seen any comments by real-life pilots and how their experience in the normal flying world relates to what we see in-game.  I suspect that many have weighed in.

Can anyone link what real pilots have to say about how IL-2 in-game visuals compare to real-world visibility??

10 minutes ago, mpdugas said:

Can anyone link what real pilots have to say about how IL-2 in-game visuals compare to real-world visibility??

I posted this in another thread

In the book The Ace Factor: Air Combat and the Role of Situational Awareness (1988) the author (Mike Spick)  produced a chart for average spotting distances for pilots over the western front.

Biplane, head on – range 1 to 2 miles
Aircraft  Banking – 2 to 4 miles
Dogfight or a formation  4 -6 miles

This was also dependent on weather/atmospheric conditions and the time of day etc.

• Upvote 1

I've posted previously how I thought the game was more difficult than RL based primarily on my Jurassic era USAF experience and current tow pilot experience. Lately in RL I've been flying around using two different ADS-B traffic displays essentially trying to confirm my opinion (that RL was easier than this sim). I wear glasses that my doc says give me 20/10 distant vision, and I'm finding that typically I can spot small general aviation (called GA here in the states) airplanes within 10 km. GA airplanes have about a 10 meter wingspan. I recently saw one at almost 30 km that was co-altitude moving left to right against a light grey horizon. On the same flight I missed half of the airplanes that were well below the horizon until they were within 5 km, and missed about a third of the traffic below me (and I knew exactly where to look).

@Trooper117 posted something a long time ago about relative motion being a key factor in detecting a target, and that is worth remembering. Back in my Jurassic days, I found it pretty easy to get a tally on another fighter flying at 800-900 kph inside of 20 km. Prior to adding the ADS-B traffic display tech I thought I had pretty good success spotting other GA airplanes flying around at 170-200 kph. However the RL serious testing shows that I've been missing at least a third of the airplanes around me within 5 km.

Having said that, I think generally the sim does a good job replicating target size (not talking about the recent enhanced visual). The aspect where I think RL is still easier is the color palette (for lack of a better description) where airplane camouflage doesn't blend so perfectly with the background as it does in the sim.

Losing visual contact of targets against a cloud background in game is problematic. 

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 1

This is very interesting, TY.

When I go to startup.cfg I get a system message asking me what app I want to open the file with. @Shellofaman, you don't seem to have encountered this in your description.

Any advice?

Salute.

4 minutes ago, J5_Spyboy said:

This is very interesting, TY.

When I go to startup.cfg I get a system message asking me what app I want to open the file with. @Shellofaman, you don't seem to have encountered this in your description.

Any advice?

Salute.

Just open the file with the Notepad.

Hello Shellofaman,

I don't know if it will work on multiplayer, but have you checked out MOD(Icons) in the MODs section? This MOD allows a wide range of alternative options for icons.  In my own case I have removed all details of the aircraft and simply have a small red (for hostile) or blue (for friendly) dot which shows above the aircraft.  Much greater immersion than the vanilla icons!

Mike  

14 hours ago, Mike2945 said:

Hello Shellofaman,

I don't know if it will work on multiplayer, but have you checked out MOD(Icons) in the MODs section? This MOD allows a wide range of alternative options for icons.  In my own case I have removed all details of the aircraft and simply have a small red (for hostile) or blue (for friendly) dot which shows above the aircraft.  Much greater immersion than the vanilla icons!

Mike  

Hey there Mike. Thanks heaps for that. 

And thanks Therion for replying to how to open the startup.cfg file. Yes you use notepad. It's fairly easy.. Sorry I've been at work all day could not reply to any of this. Btw, Mike, can I use this MOD in multiplayer? Obviously I can't for servers that don't have it enabled but if I setup as server for my friends, I surely can setup this right? Yea I really hate how the vanilla breaks immersion. The small red dots is exactly what I'm looking for!!

Thank you sir!