Han

Developer Diary 234 - Discussion

12 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Just to clarify,  all "released" means is that we have developed enough content and features to allow it to be sold on Steam and for the regular MSRP which is an arbitrary thing anyways. As always, we will continue to improve things or add things after release.

Jason

I'm glad you said that, because I think this is poorly understood by and large.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, namhee2 said:

will there soon be careers for FC1?

My understanding is that there will be  no career in FC1.

Wow... It's a huge update !😵 I just expected the improvement in the clouds and TC campaign. Is an excellent surprise for me! 😃

27 minutes ago, namhee2 said:

Ya, it was never promised for FC1 - and was going to be in a FC2 if FC1 sold well enough to make a second part.

You can use PWCG for it however.

1 hour ago, P_Gora said:

Thank You Jason. I really look forward when you can manage rework actual clouds (engine, etc.). Then Il2 Great Battles will be the best! At the moment is really OK ;)

really do take a look at the clouds mod. A game changer for me.

• Like 1

Thank you Jason and all the devs at 1CGS. Bodenplatte and TC Campaigns should be a blast.

One question is: update 3.102, 3.201, and then 4.001. Why not 3.102, 3.103 and then 4.001?

Other than that you guys rock.

Edited by Novice-Flyer

Any news on player controlled Anti-Air mobile artillery units?

Edited by LLv44_Damixu

23 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Thank you Jason and all the devs at 1CGS. Bodenplatte and TC Campaigns should be a blast.

One question is: update 3.102, 3.201, and then 4.001. Why not 3.103 and then 4.001?

Not to speak for the 1C team but the common (minimum) standard is to use major number N.xx (such as 1.00, 2.00, etc) for major releases with highly significant changes.   Feature additions are used in the next decimal place x.Nx (such as 1.00, 1.20, 1.30, etc.) and reset to zero at the next major release.  Bug Fixes errr corrective changes/tweaks (likely found/fixed in BETA testing) go in the next lower decimal place  x.xN (such as 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc.) and reset to zero at the next major/minor release.

Hence the old saying, "Never buy version 1.00 of anything!" (too new, no bugs found & fixed yet!)

1C uses version numbering with even higher fidelity - I'm guessing the "hundredths" place (0.0X0)is used by them for minor new functional additions, if at all (has it ever not been zero?).  The alpha characters at the end of release numbers as we have had with 3.201b, 3.201c recently, currently show up post-release and seem to represent post-release patches/tweaks (the alternate visibility stuff). 

So releasing Bodenplatte, Tank Crew and FC into production would seem to definitely qualify as a significant release, hence 4.000.  Otherwise they'd likely have gone with 3.30x I'd expect.

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy

Once its on Steam it should get more attention too. People seeing BoBP should draw them into IL2, since everyone is all googly eyed over the p51, p47 and p38.....just as I was lol. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Captain_Drew said:

Once its on Steam it should get more attention too. People seeing BoBP should draw them into IL2, since everyone is all googly eyed over the p51, p47 and p38.....just as I was lol. 

Let´s hope so. The more the merrier. More customers means more chances to get some of our favorite collectors into the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I cant wait for the Boilerplate campaign. 😄

Are the observation balloons from Rise of Flight going to make a comeback in Flying Circus at some point?

rof-rd-2.jpg

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

What about this partially snow covered map? Was it reworked? It was very nice, it will be shame not to have it.

09.jpg.8b37daca7c35404af6b90c2ec6043337.jpg

Let´s hope they put that in. It would fit early winter/late winter european landscape perfectly well.

• Upvote 2

Mercury bow coops for a very detailed DD. Keep up the good work on those scenarios black six

2 hours ago, IndianJones said:

Fantastic news, really exciting! Quick question - will we be able to choose what tank to use in missions? Or will different missions use different tanks? I don't want the Panzer III, Tiger and KV-1 to gather dust in the hangar while the T-34 and Panzer IV have all the fun! 

The different missions will use different tanks. At the beginning of a German campaign you will command Pz IV and Pz VI and in the last three missions  you will command Pz III from Pz.Gr.Div. Das Reich at the final stage of the battle. The main part of the Soviet campaign will be devoted to the T-34.

• Upvote 1

Great stuff, all of it, I'm well impressed :)  

As the usual topics will be well covered by others, I thought I'd give a little show of appreciation to the team that did Amiens Cathedral.

They did a great job and it looks just like the real thing, I'm going to enjoy flying around it. For about ten years or more they have been doing a laser light show at the real Cathedral where among other stuff they colour the stone with the light to represent the way it was originally painted and the result is really spectacular. Well worth a look if your in the area.

More info on that here https://archaeology-travel.com/travel-reports/amiens-cathedral-in-colour/ 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Hell, with every DD you post, I feel harder inside me the desire of getting Flying Circus... Cmon Masser its only 60 bucks, cmon you can do it...

• Upvote 3

Very much looking forward to the next update especially the various season maps of Europe.:cool:

Thank you very much to all involved, really appreciated.:drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Cannot wait for Tank Crew campaigns, I have really enjoyed the available quick missions and some of the community missions for this (Jade_Monkey's mission pack).
I hope this update will also improve the Xbox Controller controls of the vehicles. For now to rotate the turret I am using 3d party tool named JoyToKey.
About the Flying Circus, I am a bit disappointed at the amount of content they provide in final version.

Edited by Zeev
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Zeev said:

About the Flying Circus, I am a bit disappointed at the amount of content they provide in final version.

...but you weren't promised any more. They are delivering what they said they would - nothing more. The whole thing was set up as a feeler to see if there was going to be a market (financially viable)  after this one to move forward with the series or not - and Jason was pretty clear with that from the start. Without viable sales there wouldn't be the extra stuff which would be in possible future volumes. 

Edited by Redwo1f
  • Upvote 1

Wow thank you, I really can't wait to finally be able to play this!! I have 2 questions though:

1. Will we be able to fly older planes in the BOBP career mode like the bf109 G6 and ju87?

2. In the career more will we be able to fly missions in support of operation market garden? Thank you! 

Edited by blamblamstick

32 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

...but you weren't promised any more. They are delivering what they said they would - nothing more. The whole thing was set up as a feeler to see if there was going to be a market (financially viable)  after this one to move forward with the series or not - and Jason was pretty clear with that from the start. Without viable sales there wouldn't be the extra stuff which would be in possible future volumes. 

Looking back on what Jason said about FC from the beginning, 1C/777 has delivered all that was promised.

What no one knows is whether enough people signed up for Volume 1 to justify further development.  Now that BoBP and TC are well-in-hand, maybe the 3rd party responsible, under 1C/777's direction, will be given the go-ahead to produce more planes.

As was said: " If Flying Circus proves popular we can eventually fire up the Great War assembly line and break out the canvas and timber once again to make some new crates! "  and " Subsequent Flying Circus products will further expand content and we’ll work to integrate Flying Circus into our Campaign and Career systems over time."

If 1C/777 decide to go forward, I will buy all of the content that they offer; I want to see those WWI planes in VR.  I want to experience the Career and Campaign aspects of RoF in this new GB environment.

I'm in.

Edited by mpdugas
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Like one infamous person said "geduld, geduld wird es kommen" (patience, patience it shall come) more or less. 

This is wonderful news, not great, extremely great news, wonderful news. We get four map for the price of one.

We get campaign with real Squadrons or Staffels, hum let us enjoy the real spirit of the second world war in the air.

The Tanks also are more and more realistic, in the spirit of a true simulation, thanks.

World war one in the air with more body to the felling of the simulation that was already a jewel, i talk here from Rise of Flight.

And more announcements for the future?! Let me some time to get the funds together and this game shall be of the amplitude of his famous predecessor IL2-1946.

:salute:

You should get Flying Circus.......Especially if you fly in VR.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

In career mode, with BOBP, will we have access to RCAF squadrons from 2nd TAF ? They played a significant role in NWE and should not be ignored. I was disappointed that there was no reference whatsoever to the RCAF in the original IL-2, back in the days. Forgotten Battles ? A few squadrons from 126 wing would be nice... 

Edited by Beurling

4 hours ago, namhee2 said:

PWCG for FC has already been released.

Great to see we're so close to the release of BoBP, thanks devs! Out of interest, what's with the white puttees on the allied soldiers for FC?

24 minutes ago, Beurling said:

In career mode, with BOBP, will we have access to RCAF squadrons from 2nd TAF ? They played a significant role in NWE and should not be ignored. I was disappointed that there was no reference whatsoever to the RCAF in the original IL-2, back in the days. Forgotten Battles ? A few squadrons from 126 wing would be nice... 

IIRC from comments made in a previous DD, yes there will be Canadian, Australian and NZ Article XV squadrons in the game. They're in the old game as well.

Edited by HBPencil

1 hour ago, Redwo1f said:

Ya well here’s something is that Rise of Flight had a very good Pilot Career system that was added to IL-2 GBs in 3.001. For FC1 there won’t be a WW1 Pilot Career because the devs are still tweaking the Pilot Career for GBs. What sense does that make? Also, no mention of observation balloons. BTW there’s one on the FC1 picture in the store. The only thing from the Arras map that’s in RoF that’s okay to leave out for now are the river barges. With FC they’re not really starting from scratch like Bodenplatte/TC, they’re just refurbishing existing models from RoF, and adding a few new things like parachutes, etc.

Simply FC came out TOO SOON and at the very least the devs should have waited until the Pilot Career for FC was ready before starting development. FC1 may be financially viable, but then it also comes to how many people like and are playing FC. It may be they need to include new maps/planes for FC2 to make people play buy/play both volumes.

Yes Pat Wilson released a Career for FC1.

Edited by Novice-Flyer
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

Great to see we're so close to the release of BoBP, thanks devs! Out of interest, what's with the white puttees on the allied soldiers for FC?

IIRC from comments made in a previous DD, yes there will be Canadian, Australian and NZ Article XV squadrons in the game. They're in the old game as well.

Thanks for the info. Yes RAAF ans RNZAF were present in the old game, but not the RCAF

Edited by Beurling

3 minutes ago, Beurling said:

Thanks for the info. Yes RAAF ans RNZAF were present in the old game, but not the RCAF

RCAF is available in SAS Mods-Forgotten Countries I believe.

9 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

RCAF is available in SAS Mods-Forgotten Countries I believe.

thanks, did not have this one installed, just the "original" iterations, but I played them all, Aces, pe2, forgotten battles, 1946... and quite a few campaigns from independent sources. Never came across this one... BTW, from your avatar, seems we both appreciate "Buzz" 🙂

Edited by Beurling

Looking forward to initial release.

Will FC have  photo recon and arty spot mission capability at launch?

Thanks

Edited by US103_Baer

1 hour ago, Beurling said:

Cheers, you're welcome. Must say I'm looking forward to playing a campaign in the Tempest with 486(NZ)sqn.
At the risk of going too far off topic, the RCAF squadrons within the RAF are in the old game, you'll find them in the RAF squadron list. Same goes for the Aussie and Kiwi squadrons in the RAF. Not that it matters if you don't play the old game, but if you do that's were you'll find them :)

Will this new Bodenplatte update include the revised clouds mentioned in the last blog?

18 minutes ago, Joel_Marcus said:

Thanks for the updates, you guys rock!

You look familiar 

• Haha 11
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

You look familiar 

TWINS?😉

13 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

Can you tell us what will be improved on the Rhineland map?

I hope the jagged river banks and maybe more than one 3x3km texture for better variety.