Sign in to follow this  
Todt_Von_Oben

ARRAS 1918 Server Today

Just got done flying 1.75 hours on J3Hetzer's site.  Had a few guys there today and it's still going on if you hurry.  I may go back later if it's still happening.  VR FC1 only,

We got to do a little of everything.  Haven't checked the FR's yet but I'll be doing a write up at DD this weekend.  Good times!  

APOLOGIES:  When we were a flight of three and went after those SE5A's: to whomever was flying that DVII that I accidentally popped a cap into: mea maxima culpa.  The FR shows we were all four maneuvering in the vertical; I lost visual on him momentarily going through a loop and when I came out of it I thought he was firing on your tail instead of the other way around.  OOPS!  Sorry 'bout that!

And Brubaker: sorry for shooting at you, bud.  Earlier, Hetzer and I had flown some "Free For All" flying type-against-type.  I mistakenly thought you were aware of that when we took off together and that's why I got into position and fired on you.  I'd never fire on a friendly for anything other than training.  No offense intended. When we went downtown I did a 360 to check our six and lost visual on you.  Ran into some snipers, eh?  Thanks for the tip. (ADNOTE: I checked the FR.  They were in cars on that road below you, huh?  That's new to me.)

I got back and didn't see any bots.  Tried some extreme stunting and oiled my goggles;  yes, you can break it if you push it hard enough.  Engine quit and I deadsticked it in.  Cracked up on the aerodrome but lived.  LOL!  

So all will know: I can't text while flying VR; only after the sortie is over.  Going to get voice comm on DISCORD working when can.  

Had a great time.  At least three times I wanted to rest my arms on the cockpit coaming.  Gonna have to simulate one on my Scorpion seat.  LOL!

Want to check the FR's to see what we can learn.   

It was a very enjoyable and worthwhile morning, gentlemen.  Thank you.

Prosit!

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben
  • Like 2

I just went back and flew some more.  There were three others on the list when I joined.  Since everybody was flying German I took a Brisfit and then a Dolphin but couldn't even find anyone!  LOL!  Tried to fly really low back across the mud and my Dolphin took a hit to the engine.  I landed on the trenches.  Gotta check the FR to see where I was and if I got captured or not.  

I gotta get Discord comm.  Working on it...

It was fun.  Thanks!

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

Yep!  I just flew another, too; first night VR mission for me.  I went downtown hunting for the enemy aerodrome and got caught between two searchlights.  I took one of them out and made it back to hospitable ground.  Got tired of looking for my aerodrome so i put it in a field near a small town.  Crunched it a bit in the soft dirt but didn't die.

We tried a few different kinds of flying today; experimenting with this VR thing.  Only real problem was we all just sort of showed  up and played it by ear without any discussion.  You know i can't text, especially in VR.  Not while I'm flying anyway.  So not everybody always understood that sometimes we might be fighting type-against-type, for example.  I've gotta get their comm.  Don't think we can accomplish much more without it.

I flew  a few hours of cross-country today.   Had to get my dogfight fix so I did a QM between me and four Brisfits.  Pure adrenalburger!   

NOTE: J3Hetzer PM'd me to say his ARRAS 1918 server is kaput due to insurmountable problems with Mission Editor.

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

Here's the integrity-tested mission that turns the game into a 1fps slide-show. Judge for yourselves if you think anything is broken. I'm not allowed to have an opinion on that, it makes me a "liar".

You'll need to unzip it and place the contents into your multiplayer/dogfight folder, then host an MP dogfight session so you can play it. Take off with the AI albatrosses and shoot one down, say hi to slide-show city.

Thanks to not being able to have the ME do what it's supposed to do I shelved my plans to have a stand-alone FC VR server up and running before xmas. Another nail in the game's online coffin I guess, because I'm not the only one who's given up due to this and all the behind-the-scenes crap and abuse that goes with it. :(

jasta3 missions.zip

Ok Hetzer,

As it is, on my machine it turned into a 'slideshow' also.. although my frame rate didn't change.

Anyway, I can't explain why the effect happens, but there are problems with you sequencing.

It's the 'Add Events' business.

You have some events set to link directly back to take-off for example. Without triggering the spawner.

I deleted all the 'events' and replaced with a single 'on killed'. This is linked to your first timer - so it initiates the spawner and take off in their intended sequences.

Works fine.

The mission integrity tester I don't think tells you everything you've done will work out right - rather checks for missing links and stuff.

So I'm sorry to say that this problem isn't with the software.

I've heard the (old RoF) ME described as a developer aid, rather than a full blown product ready for public consumption. And the BoX one is pretty much the same.

It is what it is, so if you wish to continue using it.. and you seem to be at the start of that journey, I recommend accepting that you'll be banging your head against a wall a fair bit of the time. I lost a few months of my life to the bloody thing a few years ago !

Use the forum and you'll be helped, as long as you're sweet about it ;)

S!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Ok Hetzer,

As it is, on my machine it turned into a 'slideshow' also.. although my frame rate didn't change.

Anyway, I can't explain why the effect happens, but there are problems with you sequencing.

It's the 'Add Events' business.

You have some events set to link directly back to take-off for example. Without triggering the spawner.

I deleted all the 'events' and replaced with a single 'on killed'. This is linked to your first timer - so it initiates the spawner and take off in their intended sequences.

Works fine.

The mission integrity tester I don't think tells you everything you've done will work out right - rather checks for missing links and stuff.

So I'm sorry to say that this problem isn't with the software.

I've heard the (old RoF) ME described as a developer aid, rather than a full blown product ready for public consumption. And the BoX one is pretty much the same.

It is what it is, so if you wish to continue using it.. and you seem to be at the start of that journey, I recommend accepting that you'll be banging your head against a wall a fair bit of the time. I lost a few months of my life to the bloody thing a few years ago !

Use the forum and you'll be helped, as long as you're sweet about it ;)

S!

Cheers Zoop. :)

I've just checked the file, all four planes have events "crashed", "destroyed" and "Pilot killed" linked to "spawn" and "takeoff". Zero missing links that I can see. 5016 and 5017 event IDs.

I originally tried linking the events directly to the timer, the plane (then the planes) just sat doing nothing.

mish.png

Gonna try linking directly to the timer again, just for giggles. 😄

EDIT:

Lol, said it would be for giggles. I deleted all the existing events except the tookoff one (that does the initial waypoint thing) and added planecrashed to the timer. Took off with the albs, shot one down...no slide show! Turned back to base to watch...all four planes respawned and took off. Bearing in mind that I have not grouped or shift-T anything.

File attached.

Just more of the same I've already mentioned, it's like playing 'Odds or Evens'. 😂

So, I get the 'logic'; the timer is ordering all four planes. So isn't that why you'd link the events to "spawn" and "takeoff", so that the event ("Crashed") would affect only the plane that crashed? Apparently not, because the 'logic' is out of the twilight-zone. In my opinion.

jasta3 missions.zip

So I'm going to make this point, and it's my opinion...if the so-called integrity test doesn't flag something that causes the game to go into a slide-show, is the test not broken? Or is it, in some parallel reality, working as intended? In either case, what is the point of it, what is its purpose or value, if it doesn't flag an input/output that trashes the game (slide-shows it)? I believe these are valid and reasonable questions. In my opinion.

Edited by J3Hetzer

The editor tends to like timers to stop things happening at the same time.

I added a 1second timer between the 30 sec and 'Take Off'. Thus the bots spawn after 30 secs, get the take off command 1 second later.

Instead of your 'events' entered twice - directly to spawn and take off (with no time delay), I changed each event to a single entry targeting the 30 second timer for spawn.. which will in turn trigger the 1 second timer and the take off command. Remember to de-link the 30 sec timer from the 'take off' command (the 1 sec timer is now in-between).

Performance fine.

The issue now is that because the 4 planes share the same spawner, when one is shot down all 4 re-spawn.

You can either run a seperate routine for each plane, or link 3 planes to a lead plane and use a 'formation' command.

Easiest thing for now might be a seperate spawner / take off for each plane. (They can share waypoints).

Have fun lol.

S!

Edit.. 

Actually I think you could put a 'counter' in, set to 4. That would stop the re-spawning until all 4 were killed. 

Edited by Zooropa_Fly
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Easiest thing for now might be a seperate spawner / take off for each plane.

Have fun lol.

S!

I kind of had that realisation a couple of days ago, then thought it wouldn't be so bad because copy & paste, right? That works to a point, until you discover the "copy" doesn't include all the attributes you set for the plane in its properties. *sigh*. Lol.

It remains my opinion that the ME is trash, with this being yet another case-in-point to justify that opinion; to whit, having to repeatedly come to a forum for help, when the integrity tester (for instance) doesn't flag game-breakers, and puts off way more people than it should. One doesn't know if a thing is bad input (user's mistake), a bug (broken software) or simple 'working as intended but dumb as a brick coding'. 

Thanks for the help Zoop, you're a superior member for going past the thin layer of frustration and contentious expression of such and giving a helping hand regardless. :) I'm not sure I can stomach any more of the ME but at least it confirms my opinion from somebody who knows it better than me.

Here's another thing that would save hours...being able to switch the planes in a copy & pasted AI group. I've searched and found no way to do that, which means an entire new setup has to be built from scratch for each type of AI plane.

It's the little things. And the big ones.

Edited by J3Hetzer

No worries Hetzer... I recommend keepings things as simple as possible.

Yes I think the 'add events' have to be done seperately for each plane, much will be copied across though.

I just remebered after posting last, that using 'formation commands' with spawned items tends not to work.

I've attached an MP mission I've just done, not tested the vehicles yet.. will do later.

Anyway you can see how I did things. The dogfighting I'm finding much fun btw !

And just to be clear, I'm no expert in the ME, it's very much a trial and error thing for me.

S!

ZW Lille Dogfight.zip

• Thanks 1

I've given each plane it's own timer, spawner and take-off commands, everything works now. I suspect it would also be wise at this point to give each plane its own waypoints too, a bit like when you give a chimp the shaped pegs and board thing it's a good idea to give only a square peg and a board with only a square hole, if you want an excuse to reward it with a banana.

:)

Thanks again for the help mate, it's much appreciated. If for nothing else it's given me closure (seeing those [edited] doing as they're told 😄 ).

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Language
  • Upvote 1

Interesting.

I don't know anything about Mission Editor and it sounds complicated.  I'd like to look at it just to see what it is.  Where do I go?

EDIT: disregard; I found it.

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

Best thing to do Todt is open a simple mission in the editor and have a look at the sequencing... but I'd advise you go wash the dishes instead and pretend you never heard anything about the ME :P

S!

• Haha 2

I now have 13 Albs airborne and doing as they're told (so far as I watched them). There were a lot of crashes into woods that were too close by, and a big pile up on one field (despite staggering their timers by five seconds each, I suspect too much schnapps the night before).

Next up, 13 Allied fighters and then some two-seaters and pray my rig can cope with it. Smooth as silk so far. :)

Thanks again Zoop, wouldn't have cracked it without your help. 

2 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Interesting.

I don't know anything about Mission Editor and it sounds complicated.  I'd like to look at it just to see what it is.  Where do I go?

EDIT: disregard; I found it.

Take it out into a lonely field (at night), beat it with a gnarley stick, pour gasoline, throw lit match and run. 😀

10 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

Here's another thing that would save hours...being able to switch the planes in a copy & pasted AI group. I've searched and found no way to do that, which means an entire new setup has to be built from scratch for each type of AI plane.

If I understand properly, you want just to change the model of a copied AI plane. If so, click on the plane, right click and select Properties. The dialogue that appears includes a Model button. Having selected the desired model, it is important to check its ammo levels as some may default to empty.

I hear ya.  I looked at the 350 page manual last night.  It's complex; will take a lot of time and effort; I am neck-deep in projects right now; and after thinking it through I really don't have a real need for my own server, anyway.  So if I ever try this it will be in the unforeseeable future.   There's a few servers online now and it looks like maybe people who know how to do this are building more so I'm just gonna hang loose and see what develops.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Cynic_Al said:

If I understand properly, you want just to change the model of a copied AI plane. If so, click on the plane, right click and select Properties. The dialogue that appears includes a Model button. Having selected the desired model, it is important to check its ammo levels as some may default to empty.

That's for human flyables only. The AI planes have a different properties box and can't be switched unfortunately.

Me and Pablo flew two and a quarter hours tonight, a single sortie. I spotted four planes about twenty minutes in, then lost them. After that, nada. Lol. He started flying like a barnstormer, "because I'm BORED". Made it back with around 30lts of fuel. Keeping it real. :)

Edited by J3Hetzer

2 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

That's for human flyables only. The AI planes have a different properties box and can't be switched unfortunately.

That's a new one on me. Is this a deathmatch-type mission or something else?

So, last week, it was set up so we'd proceed on a mission in formation and encounter bots along the way?  Okay, now I see why friendlies wondered why I was shooting at them.   I didn't understand that. 

I was off-comm but Hetzer and I had previously discussed flying type-versus-type: Dr.1 versus Dr.1; and, when I got there, that's what we did for several sorties.  

So when others showed up (and the DVII was trailing steam) I thought we were playing "Free for all"  and engaged them.  OOPS!  

6 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

That's a new one on me. Is this a deathmatch-type mission or something else?

It's "Deathmatch" in the ME, that's the only template for MP, they save to the dogfight folder in multiplayer. :)

6 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

So, last week, it was set up so we'd proceed on a mission in formation and encounter bots along the way?  Okay, now I see why friendlies wondered why I was shooting at them.   I didn't understand that. 

I was off-comm but Hetzer and I had previously discussed flying type-versus-type: Dr.1 versus Dr.1; and, when I got there, that's what we did for several sorties.  

So when others showed up (and the DVII was trailing steam) I thought we were playing "Free for all"  and engaged them.  OOPS!  

Yes, there were AI in that one, but going by the 24 planes I have up now (four of which we caught only a glimpse) I doubt we ever would have found them (or they us). Ten thousand square kilometres times 10km vertical. That's a lot of space. 

Edited by J3Hetzer

hi guys, I had connected to the server last evening at around cca 18:00+ UTC and was alone there; than, couple of minutes later, I was forced to disconnect...

what are times, when the server is more populated?

2 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

Yes, there were AI in that one, but going by the 24 planes I have up now (four of which we caught only a glimpse) I doubt we ever would have found them (or they us). Ten thousand square kilometres times 10km vertical. That's a lot of space. 

Yep.  Last Friday when we were a flight of 3 (two DVII and one Dr.1) we found a couple bot  SE5A's; I got one.  One of the DVII's (I think it was you?) got the other Scout.

1 hour ago, wju said:

hi guys, I had connected to the server last evening at around cca 18:00+ UTC and was alone there; than, couple of minutes later, I was forced to disconnect...

what are times, when the server is more populated?

Last week it was Tuesday and Friday from about 1930 hrs GMT to whenever.  Not sure if it's going to continue this week.

59 minutes ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Yep.  Last Friday when we were a flight of 3 (two DVII and one Dr.1) we found a couple bot  SE5A's; I got one.  One of the DVII's (I think it was you?) got the other Scout.

Last week it was Tuesday and Friday from about 1930 hrs GMT to whenever.  Not sure if it's going to continue this week.

We're going to run it tues and fri, from 8.30pm GMT until we finish our sortie/sorties, usually around two to three hours (or less if one of us gets MIA or KIA). I've decided I can't be locking up my PC all night, which is why a dedicated box is needed (for 24/7).

Mission description: Take off, hunt.

Yes, reports are that the RFC is putting up a lot of tyros.

😄

21 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

I hope not, for the sake of MP.

Lol, what MP? It's a tiny circle-jerk of air-quakers. I was going to stump up for a dedicated 24/7 box until the toxic hostility made me realise the futility of it.

Me and my brother have plenty of fun running MP missions twice a week and if you guys who already have the password spot it while it's up you're welcome to join. :)

;)

" what MP?" - Exactly !

Equipment-based splits at this time wouldn't help.

Maybe we have different definitions of air-quake, but the only action is on J5, at certain times. I flew a Halb for 1:26 the other night - dropped my bombs on static targets, with only x1 encounter over the mud on the way home.

I once shot down x86 bots on a 2 hour NFF map as comparison !

An air-Quake server is imo precisely what this game is still missing.

I made a map myself recently which finally got me 'into' this game. I prefer being online with human pilots though.

Irrespective of one's game preferences, if there aren't a good variety of different servers on offer - that means there's not enough people playing. And that's not good for the future of the game, and hence all of us.

S!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

;)

" what MP?" - Exactly !

Equipment-based splits at this time wouldn't help.

Maybe we have different definitions of air-quake, but the only action is on J5, at certain times. I flew a Halb for 1:26 the other night - dropped my bombs on static targets, with only x1 encounter over the mud on the way home.

I once shot down x86 bots on a 2 hour NFF map as comparison !

An air-Quake server is imo precisely what this game is still missing.

I made a map myself recently which finally got me 'into' this game. I prefer being online with human pilots though.

Irrespective of one's game preferences, if there aren't a good variety of different servers on offer - that means there's not enough people playing. And that's not good for the future of the game, and hence all of us.

S!

The MP in FC is pretty much dead as far as I'm concerned, not even close to exceeding double-digit numbers from what I've seen. Various reasons for that but one of the main ones, in my opinion, is the attitude and behaviour of the last grim remnants of what was once a reasonably thriving community.

The WW2 side is better but slowly declining too. It's not a sensible gig into which to invest money. Yes, I know, that creates a self-fulfilling outcome but I think the tipping-point for that was reached a fair while back. "Equipment-based splits" are the least of the issues, we're already far beyond that being one, potential or otherwise.

Lord knows how you managed to shoot down 86 bots in two hours. The only way me and my brother get to spot anything at all, never mind engage it, is by having the new viewing mode on. The record so far is seven bots in two missions over three hours.

Edited by J3Hetzer

Just to clarify, the 86 was with icons on, small map with x4 bots instanly re-spawning.

NFF's old 'Protect the Tanks' map over the mud.

In a Dr1 of course.

S!

EDIT :- I apologise, it was 82 in 1:46 flying time. Just check the video lol

Edited by Zooropa_Fly

28 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Why don't you host it for a while? I'm sure everyone would be eager to try it.

12 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

I did briefly try, but I'm too thick to get it to work.

You're welcome to put it up if you want, although the bots are omni-present. But there's a little more space than an NFF map and the bots aren't always predictable as to where they'll be fighting, thanks to my cunning regulation.

It has to be said the bot dogfights are much better than RoF.

1 hour ago, Cynic_Al said:

I would.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:10 PM, JG1_Hotlead_J10 said:

Sounds like you had fun! :)

There were moments...  ☺️

1 hour ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Just to clarify, the 86 was with icons on, small map with x4 bots instanly re-spawning.

Well I'd say that deserves the Blue Max with oak leaf cluster and three bars.

NFF's old 'Protect the Tanks' map over the mud.

Ah yes I remember it well; the bots interfered with everything in which one got involved and the tanks just sat there like lemons. I'm sure there's a fixed version floating-around somewhere,  perhaps due to be ported to FC eventually.

11 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

Well I'd say that deserves the Blue Max with oak leaf cluster and three bars.

Do I still get the Blue Max if I confess it was airstarts and I was doing a bit of vulching ?

11 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

Ah yes I remember it well; the bots interfered with everything in which one got involved and the tanks just sat there like lemons. I'm sure there's a fixed version floating-around somewhere,  perhaps due to be ported to FC eventually.

Cracking map, In that episode I shot down a DFW with a tank attached to it's wing, 'Bruce Lee' - who else !

It would indeed be interesting to compare the attendance figures for said versions of said map, sadly not possible.

42 minutes ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

I would.

You can give it a go offline if you like Todt.

S!

Edited by Zooropa_Fly

I would like an NF&F-type server for FC VR that is insulated from unmutuals.

Spawn in, take off, and fight as often as you can.  Maybe some different scenarios for engagement; other specifics established by arrangement; but no cross-country flying to the action.  A small arena.  Something about the size and  layout of Aerodrome Under Attack might work.  

Think of it as the aerial equivalent of a gymnasium where boxers go to practice sparring.  

The value would be in whatever beneficial and/or enjoyable ways people found to mutually use it.  A comm channel would help.

"Fast Food" VR Dogfighting practice against human pilots for those who want that.  And go-large on the bots, please.

Why? Because a lot of people (and all the newcomers) aren't into the complexity of group-based scheduled events and all that goes with it; they just want to fly and dogfight as a sport; protected from those who turn this game into their own private little war.

The concept depends on reasonable understanding, cooperation, tolerance, maturity, and sportsman-like conduct from a demographic not famous that; I know.

Still, it's possible and necessary if FC VR is to grow and develop.  

I don't know how to set  up a server and don't have time to learn right now.  I'll just keep my eyes open to what pops up and sign on when something shows promise.  I bet there's a few old NF&F fliers doing the same.

Here's the thing:  you can't ID a plane at much distance in VR anyway.   Turnfighting is really where it's at and anyone who has ever fought the dog in VR will tell you that.  

When you are in close and he goes roaring past and you follow with your eyes in 3D as you turn hard, cut in behind, fire and see him burst into flames (or explode) right there in front of you; it's like you are actually in the cockpit of that plane DOING IT.   

That's the appeal of VR right now: the realism of the dogfighting experience.  The effect is most dramatic when you are in close flight relative to another aircraft; and that's what dogfighting is all about.  

Yeah, there's a need for this.  I'd fly it.  Maybe, if it got a chance to get going, it could turn into something bigger.  

We'd have to kill all the trolls, though.

6 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

I would like an NF&F-type server for FC VR that is insulated from unmutuals.

Spawn in, take off, and fight as often as you can.  Maybe some different scenarios for engagement; other specifics established by arrangement; but no cross-country flying to the action.  A small arena.  Something about the size and  layout of Aerodrome Under Attack might work.  

Think of it as the aerial equivalent of a gymnasium where boxers go to practice sparring.  

The value would be in whatever beneficial and/or enjoyable ways people found to mutually use it.  A comm channel would help.

"Fast Food" VR Dogfighting practice against human pilots for those who want that.  And go-large on the bots, please.

Why? Because a lot of people (and all the newcomers) aren't into the complexity of group-based scheduled events and all that goes with it; they just want to fly and dogfight as a sport; protected from those who turn this game into their own private little war.

The concept depends on reasonable understanding, cooperation, tolerance, maturity, and sportsman-like conduct from a demographic not famous that; I know.

Still, it's possible and necessary if FC VR is to grow and develop.  

I don't know how to set  up a server and don't have time to learn right now.  I'll just keep my eyes open to what pops up and sign on when something shows promise.  I bet there's a few old NF&F fliers doing the same.

Here's the thing:  you can't ID a plane at much distance in VR anyway.   Turnfighting is really where it's at and anyone who has ever fought the dog in VR will tell you that.  

When you are in close and he goes roaring past and you follow with your eyes in 3D as you turn hard, cut in behind, fire and see him burst into flames (or explode) right there in front of you; it's like you are actually in the cockpit of that plane DOING IT.   

That's the appeal of VR right now: the realism of the dogfighting experience.  The effect is most dramatic when you are in close flight relative to another aircraft; and that's what dogfighting is all about.  

Yeah, there's a need for this.  I'd fly it.  Maybe, if it got a chance to get going, it could turn into something bigger.  

We'd have to kill all the trolls, though.

It's not a bad thing but it *should* be practice for 'actual' war, which is flying across country to find the enemy, per reality.

A 24/7 server would have plenty of time to do both but the number of TiR users is next to nothing, never mind VR WW1'ers. I don't think there's even two handfuls of us.

Edited by J3Hetzer