Han

Developer Diary 232 - Discussion

39 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

As with many things in life, if you`re not screaming, grunting and breathing heavily before passing out, you`re not doing it right.

Exactly how I am enjoying a good meal.

51 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

As with many things in life, if you`re not screaming, grunting and breathing heavily before passing out, you`re not doing it right.

That's my love life in a nutshell.

15 hours ago, LukeFF said:

One of the first episodes of The Fighter Pilot Podcast discussed g-force training, and this is exactly what it sounded like there as well. 

It's th "Hook" (or "hick") maneuver.

It something ther pilot must conciously do, not something caused by g-force.

It is not something a First or Second war pilot would have known to do as it is a somewhat recent invention. That said, I don't mind the extra audio feedback about my pilot's state.

Up front: let’s enjoy the update and not nitpick the physio stuff before it’s even out. We’ll have to see how it’s actually implemented. 

With that said, the modern day AGSM (in most western air forces) is comprised of two parts. Lower extremity tensing and a breathing technique (short breath exchange).

For the lower extremities, the abdominal muscles, glutes, quads, hamstrings, and even calves (if you can remember to do so) are tensed. It’s particularly effective with a G suit because it gives you something to “push back” against. I personally can’t remember to tense everything at once (despite thousands of attempts) so just focus on my abs, glutes, and upper legs. If I start to experience light loss, the glutes are typically what I’m forgetting and I focus on that. Squats in the gym are a fighter pilot’s best friend (but I doubt there was much targeted exercise going on in WWII, more on this later). 

The breathing part is a short breath exchange. The idea is to take an initial breath to fill your lungs about 2/3 full (not all the way). This provides some pressure on your thoracic cavity (specifically the heart) and helps keep you awake. Breathing under G is very difficult, so much so that modern masks have a positive pressure system. Once under G, you have to work to exhale, while O2 pressure greatly assists inhalation. In order to keep pressure on your heart, a short breath exchange is performed so that you don’t exhale completely, but can still get some oxygen while fighting. 

This is why prolonged fights at >5-6 Gs are so miserable. Personally, I feel like I’m drowning. It’s pretty awful after about 30”. 

Much of this likely wasn’t even considered in WWII (and was probably explored as G suits came online). I can’t say for sure and don’t have any sources, but talking with our aerospace physiology officers leads me to believe this technique is a post-WWII development. 

Still, the rest of the update coming soon makes this issue such a minor point, and I’m sure the team will tweak their physio model over time anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Pre said:

This is why prolonged fights at >5-6 Gs are so miserable.

The reason why the techniques you described are indeed post WW2, is that these loads essentially were impossible in WW2. You'd have to start at high altitudes, spiraling down to sea level in tight turns to get there, as engine power would only help to sustain around 3g's in a level turn. A rare scenario in real life. But 3g is tiring already, in particular with the poor ergonomics of the typical WW2 cockpit.

17 hours ago, Paganizonda said:

81a540fb8d115ed2584195b3cf17dc6d.jpg

Distasteful. The chap in the photo was waiting for the phone call to scramble: for what might well be the last hour of his life.    

• Confused 2

I just hope we do not get death screams... In DCS Gazelle I still jump in my seat when we get hit and my pilot/co pilot screams loud as they die... My peshka and He111 gunners need to stay silent so I can focus on dropping my bombs :D *Bzzzzzt* "this is 1... engaging" *click*

10 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

Distasteful. The chap in the photo was waiting for the phone call to scramble: for what might well be the last hour of his life.    

Lighten up Francis. Any picture of people in WW2 might have been the last hour of their lives, that picture isn't special. 

Sometimes it's better to just let things go instead of looking and wanting to be offended. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

32 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

Oh please stop crying like a Baby, people like you are the problem in the modern World, getting offended by everything!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Paganizonda said:

Oh please stop crying like a Baby, people like you are the problem in the modern World, getting offended by everything!

True dat. People want to live in a free world, with freedom of speech, yet somehow expect not to be offended.
You have no idea where mentality like that is taking us. Maybe review some history, see what happens, when people demand anything more than absolutely equal rights for everyone, not some sheepish privileges (like a "right" to not be offended.)

On a lighter note,  watch this and be offended, if you must be.

• Like 1

Dear Friends,

The IL-2 development team is glad to report that the new huge update 3.201 is released. It brings you not only the 3 new aircraft and 2 new maps for two projects, but also many improvements in all areas of the sim - graphics, physics, audio, controls, armament, and instruments. You can find the in depth information about some of the new features in our recent Dev Diaries. Please note that this update is the last milestone before the release of two projects at once - Bodenplatte and Flying Circus Vol.1 - which should happen in a month or so. 

7 minutes ago, YouBet said:

Dear Friends,

The IL-2 development team is glad to report that the new huge update 3.201 is released. It brings you not only the 3 new aircraft and 2 new maps for two projects, but also many improvements in all areas of the sim - graphics, physics, audio, controls, armament, and instruments. You can find the in depth information about some of the new features in our recent Dev Diaries. Please note that this update is the last milestone before the release of two projects at once - Bodenplatte and Flying Circus Vol.1 - which should happen in a month or so. 

cheers, already downloading, wants to see my new Pony.... :)

14 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

26 seconds left before enjoying full happiness!!!

You lucky b....., wish I had faster internet speed.... 
Enjoy :)

3 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I hate the modern culture where even the most innocent joke is always somehow "problematic".

10 hours ago, Paganizonda said:

Actually at 63 I am not one of the people who are offended very easily - nor am I "crying like a baby". I am not even "offended" by your post. 

I am pointing out that - at least for the generations old enough to have close family who fought and died in WW2 - comparing the experience of BoB pilots with waiting for the release of an update for a video game is indeed in poor taste, especially when using a real photograph.

9 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

Actually at 63 I am not one of the people who are offended very easily - nor am I "crying like a baby". I am not even "offended" by your post. 

I am pointing out that - at least for the generations old enough to have close family who fought and died in WW2 - comparing the experience of BoB pilots with waiting for the release of an update for a video game is indeed in poor taste, especially when using a real photograph.

Is it any less "tasteful" then making a "game" out of their war?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

If you think that's in bad taste, wait until you find out that you're pretending to kill people in this game.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

If you think that's in bad taste, wait until you find out that you're pretending to kill people in this game.

If you think that is in bad taste then perhaps you should not be doing it.

3 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I have relatives both of my own and of my wife's who fought and died in the war (to say nothing of soldiers I've seen die in combat myself), and frankly I think you are way overreacting. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A one line post expressing mild disapproval is hardly "wildly overreacting".  Quite frankly, I find the multiple reactions to my short post to be laughably OT and defensive.

The advice "Sometimes it's better to just let things go", while good, so far as it goes, could just as well apply to all the responses, including that of the poster who made it. 

What is going on here? One user found it inappropriate to have a waiting pilot be compared to waiting gamers (which is also his right to do as one has pointed out freedom of speech which is another matter completely) and several others jump on him and accuse him of whining.

In my opinion not expressing emotional affection or a sense of tact (however this might be expressed) is or should be the problem but the startled hive of edgelords that always comes around when one does not have an overly cynical attitude. Anyone should be left with his sense of what is appropriate for him without him being called out for "being offended". I wonder the term snowflake wasn't already used.

But to be clear on the subject: I did not find the comparison overly mean though I recognize that some people do. But this is no matter for me to push their head into the dirt with "hurr durr you are killing people in the game this is much badder" as the game is what it is (a game) and the guy on the photo again is what it is (a part of reality).

So please, if you object to someone's opinion about what is appropriate and what not, please do it with a wink and don't get overly "offended" by people not sharing the exact kind of humour you have and expressing it.

Tell me about it. Everyone getting offended by people getting offended by everything...

Yesterday I got really annoyed by the D/L desaster and other things. That´s history now.

Today I´ve  had another go at the game. Hopped into Mustang, Lightning, Tempest and of course the mighty Boston. I just want to express, how much I like the new planes and the improvements of the ones already in the game. The engines of the A-20 sound a lot better now and they ´ve sounded great even before the update. The gun port whistle of the P-51 is very impressive  and I like the fact that you can here it from the inside just before the stall. The supercharger-sound in the Lightning is just awesome and those animated flaps... wow. The Tempest feels just right, is lovely to fly and at revs well above idling it´s engine sounds all right from the inside. The outside sound is great too.

The map is looking great, loading time has increased but fps didn´t drop as much as I was afraid they would. So, looking forward to discover all the other new features and improvements. See you soon! 🍻

13 minutes ago, E69_McKinley said:

Any oficial explication of the last fixed patch?

if this is what your looking for

2 hours ago, E69_McKinley said:

Point 7...

We return to 10 km Bubble???

no it just seams like that, but your game is using new vis range system, and you can see contacts as small objects beyond 10km, just its not as clear and obvious like it was when 3.201 was first relised. To me it seams that how new system was on 3.201 was bugged and was not how it was intended to look, and it seams what you get in hotfix is how system was intended to work. So before 3.201 contacts were not rendering abow 9.5, in 3.201 there was some bug with how new system worked alowing extra big contacts, and now after hotfix they are rendering abow 10km as realy small objects that you need to look realy hard to see.

Edited by 77.CountZero