AeroAce

Sick of Captured Mechanic

The captured mechanic takes no care of how close you are to the front line. I have landed on the front line and been captured when it is literately a 10 meter walk. At the moment it is Boolean, i.e if in enemy teroraty captured if not .... It should be plausible that a pilot could make its way back to friendly lines. 

I suggest that maybe some kinda chance is put in to this mechanic, I would suggest a function based on distance and probability and not the stupid system we have now. My suggestion would be a log of the distance from the front line with a random number that is proportional to the distance away from the front line.

If you want to get really technical it could be based on the closest enemy ground force ....

Any way thanks but this needs to be looked at

ps I do fly to keep my stats and sometimes I do only fly over my own territory if I know im out numbered, just to know that I can bail and not be "captured". This is limiting my game

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 3

It’s fairly easy to do with a random chance of escape and mission success or capture and mission failure in a scripted mission. You can change it from slim chance of success far behind enemy lines to high chance close to home. Even a forced landing on your home airbase still has a fair chance of landing you in the hospital which means you don’t fly tomorrow. I believe PWCG has a feature to take you out of action if you are deemed wounded for a period of time. 

It’s not built into the program generated missions and any forced landing results in mission failure. I believe that could be changed if it was a priority for the devs. Look at water bailout in IL2PF. You would parachute down and pop up in your dinghy. Now you just sink and die. The whole mission ending routine needs to be re-evaluated in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

It’s fairly easy to do with a random chance of escape and mission success or capture and mission failure in a scripted mission. You can change it from slim chance of success far behind enemy lines to high chance close to home. Even a forced landing on your home airbase still has a fair chance of landing you in the hospital which means you don’t fly tomorrow. I believe PWCG has a feature to take you out of action if you are deemed wounded for a period of time. 

It’s not built into the program generated missions and any forced landing results in mission failure. I believe that could be changed if it was a priority for the devs. Look at water bailout in IL2PF. You would parachute down and pop up in your dinghy. Now you just sink and die. The whole mission ending routine needs to be re-evaluated in my opinion.

So I think you agree. This is one of the little things that I think the devs need to look at, create better core game play instead of just doing new content. I dont have time for this being in a mod or at the control of a server host. It needs to be standard.

I would do something like this, 

capture chance = 1/(log(range from border)*(random number/range from border)))

nah the above it not tuned well but is what the kinda thinking needs to sort this out. I will check back with a better function.

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 1

If you are flying online, it should be something that could be controlled by the mission designer, but I am not sure about the details of coop and online missions. It also requires some convoluted logic with crash landing triggers. I have not done anything with the coop missions. I completely agree with your statements as far as scripted single player and program generated missions is concerned. Also there is no allowance for anything but mission failure if you bail out as far as I know. That should not really be the case. What if you bail out and successfully parachute to a nice cozy landing over your airfield?

Edited by Jaegermeister

yeah it would be a nice twist of fate to throw into the game. And it certainly happened IRL

2 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

yeah it would be a nice twist of fate to throw into the game. And it certainly happened IRL

Im just sick of when I land on or very close the border and get captured! Surely my pilot could run a km or 10!

Edited by AeroAce

In the mission editor, you get to define "influence areas" that determine which coalition controls each part of the map. On my missions I ensure there's a few km "no man's land" near the actual front line, so if a pilot lands there (from either side) they won't get captured. They should only get captured once a few km into enemy territory.

• Upvote 1

S! 

Virtualpilots server has this chance of being captured/escaping coded into the mission. Based on enemy/own troops range from your bailout area/crash site. Also distance from front line plays a role. Works fine, have had some really lucky escapes a few times, but always trying to get closer to home, not pushing my luck too much 😄

Look at Rudel, shot down & evaded capture and got back across his lines a few times including once barefoot...

• Upvote 1

@Jaegermeister In PWCG I determine as best as I am able how far behind the lines you crashed.  Your odds of being captured are 10% per km.  At 10 km behind the lines your odds of capture have hit 100%.  Not sure but I think I might have a maximum such that there is always some possibility of escape.

After the capture algorithm the "Max Wounds" comes into effect.  PWCG does not default to "dead is dead (i.e. iron man)" mode so death or capture will never happen unless you change campaign configs.  By default being killed or captured will be reduced to being badly wounded, which will result in several months out of action.  If you do change the mode you get what you asked for -

1. Dead is Dead

2. Worst that can happen is badly wounded (default)

3. Worst that can happen is lightly wounded (A few weeks out of action max)

4. Im Invincible!

several high ranking german aces and bomber pilots, crashed behind enemy lines,and even a soviet hero of soviet union Winner 6km behind enemy lines and they  all got back,to fight on.please do a survival chances on captured.Say over the front 50-60% that you get home.1km from the front 10- 20% chance to make it...

I know on the Wings server it's more nuanced than that, when you look at actual server stats on their stats page.

Now, when in the game itself, it's true that the moment you're over the line, you're captured. But once the mission is over go over to the stats page, and you can see that escaping captivity is absolutely possible, and it seems to scale based on how far from the front line you ditch or bail out.

TAW has a 'capture chance' mechanic implemented server side. If you ditch in enemy territory there is a chance you escape. TAW even has different capture chances for each side.

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Now, when in the game itself, it's true that the moment you're over the line, you're captured. But once the mission is over go over to the stats page, and you can see that escaping captivity is absolutely possible, and it seems to scale based on how far from the front line you ditch or bail out.

Just as an FYI, the line you see on the map has nothing to do with your capture situation; it's simply a line drawn on the map. However, as Alonzo mentioned, the mission designer may place and edit "influence areas" on the map for either side that determine whether pilots are captured (aside from various capture scripts that server admins set up). The mission designer can place the edge of these areas right on the line or as far away as they like.  

It's interesting that you see a capture based on distance from the line. Are you referring to career missions or some other type? I'd like to find out if the influence areas exhibit this behaviour or whether there is some other mechanism involved. Thanks!

Edited by JimTM

Back in the days I still was flying the game's career mode, I had two missions, I came down on the wrong side of the front line and was not captured. So if you come down near the front, there is a chance to make it back, except the devs changed it meanwhile.

There are such s calculator when ditching in the channel in cod. In my favor not so much. But you can drown or return or get captured. 

I like Rise of Flight's mechanic in career where getting captured was more like extended leave and you'd eventually escape, but after maybe half a year or more unless it extended past the end of the war.  10% per kilometer sounds pretty realistic as well.

On the other hand it does give you an incentive not to hang out over enemy lines more than necessary.  Considering the orders were to kill captured pilots in some scenarios it's also sort of off to me to see pilot captured.  It might be more immersive to have some larger set of values that might include the pilot getting killed or wounded on the ground while evading capture, any sort of narrative beyond just 'you have been captured,' which is what was nice about RoF's handling of it, regardless of whether its appropriate to have WWII pilots escaping captivity with anything over than a slim chance...

21 hours ago, AeroAce said:

The captured mechanic takes no care of how close you are to the front line. I have landed on the front line and been captured when it is literately a 10 meter walk. At the moment it is Boolean, i.e if in enemy teroraty captured if not .... It should be plausible that a pilot could make its way back to friendly lines. 

I suggest that maybe some kinda chance is put in to this mechanic, I would suggest a function based on distance and probability and not the stupid system we have now. My suggestion would be a log of the distance from the front line with a random number that is proportional to the distance away from the front line.

If you want to get really technical it could be based on the closest enemy ground force ....

Any way thanks but this needs to be looked at

ps I do fly to keep my stats and sometimes I do only fly over my own territory if I know im out numbered, just to know that I can bail and not be "captured". This is limiting my game

AA,

It appears that in MP, different servers are set up differently. I always get captured on WOL if just inside enemy area, whereas TAW and CombatBox it depends if I get captured as it appears to have a random set up, so you never know what is going to happen.

Anyway, perhaps the next IL2 release will be the Great escape!?

Regards

22 hours ago, AeroAce said:

Im just sick of when I land on or very close the border and get captured! Surely my pilot could run a km or 10!

Yep - they need to change it so that super bad-ass enemy commandos operating in your side of the lines can possibly apprehend you even in your own territory and take you prisoner.

That's what you're after, correct?

• Haha 1

Imagine how sick the mechanic must feel!

"Get up, service aircraft, get captured. Get up, service aircraft, get captured..."

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Haza said:

It appears that in MP, different servers are set up differently. I always get captured on WOL if just inside enemy area, whereas TAW and CombatBox it depends if I get captured as it appears to have a random set up, so you never know what is going to happen.

It's not random on Combat Box, but I can see how it might appear that way. Here's a snippet from the editor, mission Stalingrad Scramble. The grey line in the middle is the front line, which only shows up as the little yellow boxes in the editor. The blue area to the bottom-left is the German influence zone, the blue area to the top-right is the Russian influence zone. If you land in an enemy influence zone you are captured. But the blue shape is irregular and is sometimes closer or further front the front-line, so I can see how you'd think it was random.

1690044755_Image1.jpg.c73a372cfe24304778d416a3ca4207e0.jpg

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

It's not random on Combat Box, but I can see how it might appear that way. Here's a snippet from the editor, mission Stalingrad Scramble. The grey line in the middle is the front line, which only shows up as the little yellow boxes in the editor. The blue area to the bottom-left is the German influence zone, the blue area to the top-right is the Russian influence zone. If you land in an enemy influence zone you are captured. But the blue shape is irregular and is sometimes closer or further front the front-line, so I can see how you'd think it was random.

1690044755_Image1.jpg.c73a372cfe24304778d416a3ca4207e0.jpg

I really wish you hadn't explained that to me as the excitement and mystery of not knowing has gone!

Joking aside, thank you for the explanation and taking the time to make your maps feel that I have a chance of escaping. I guess it goes to show that the Devs have put everything in place and it is up the MP server admins to adopt the details they want to be included in their servers.

As a side note I'm looking forward to CombatBox post full release of Bodenplatte so thanks again for an enjoyable server and the addition of the AI aircraft.

Regards

Edited by Haza
  • Like 1

This is exactly why that if I get shot down a good distance behind enemy lines, I dont bail out. =P

Edited by kitsunelegend