ITAF_Rani

TOP GUN 2 official trailer

wow

waiting for the kelly val jokes

Posted (edited)

Can't wait to see him push negative G's against the  new Mig-38. :lol:

27 minutes ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Wow no de-age Tom!

he doesn't age at all. he's either a vampire, or doing routine blood transfusions with children's blood.....

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Haha 1

I think me see a P-51 there, that can only mean P-51 coming to box next week 😄

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

I think me see a P-51 there, that can only mean P-51 coming to box next week 😄

No No No !Limit  Sir

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Happy to see it's not a CG fest - I was worried about that.

At least not obvious CG, if you're going to use it, then fool me.

On another note, I wonder if his love interest will be back..

Hottie.jpg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

The F-14 at the end was probably CG.

I'll take another look.

Damn. That's looking really good. Had very low expectations though. 

I had very low expectations as well. It looks interesting though. Also, Ed Harris? Isn't he around 80? Asking Tom Cruise why he is just a captain? They should both be long retired at their ages...

6 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Hottie.jpg

Seriously, that freaked me the hell out when I started counting how many hands she seems to have there.  :o:

• Haha 4

Looks awesome,

it gave me a massive fatty anyway!

Posted (edited)

Gawd. A couple of takeaways.

That CGI f-14 at the end looks awful. It moves all wrong. Plus the camera is in an impossible place. Completely missing the point of what made the original look so good. It's like that shot in Apollo 13 where the Saturn V apparently zooms past the camera about 3000ft above the launch pad, missing it by inches. Completely destroys your immersion and suspension of disbelief because your lizard brain KNOWS that there is no way you could actually get that shot with a camera on film.

Looks Like Tom Cruise got an excuse to show off his P-51.

Does it look to anyone else like there's gonna be a degree of skipping around in time here? Tom Cruise looks digitally de-aged in a couple of scenes, particularly on his bike & during the (inevitable) volleyball scene... (all off-duty Naval Aviators do is play homoerotic volleyball, indulge in group singing sessions of '50's classics around pianos, and enter into inappropriate relationships with civilian contractors).

Anyone else not changed their casual gear / motorbike in the last 30 years?

The sci-fi spacesuit stuff looks like it could be incredibly embarrassing for everyone. If i hear the words SR72, i'm leaving the cinema...

If 'Phoenix' ends up as Tom Cruise's love interest i'mma barf in my oxygen mask.

I bet you 20p that the low level run & pull up at the beginning is for an ASAT shot. Because of the mysterious pod under the F-18. Everyone knows that ASAT shots are best made with a pull up from ground level.

Wouldn't it have been more interesting to have Maverick being ordered around by a superior officer significantly younger than him rather than the geriatric Ed Harris? But no, that'd destroy the myth of TC as a permanent young upstart.

Cool music though 😂

Edited by Diggun

Diggun,

I'm sensing some ngativity?! ;)

Posted (edited)

@keeno, ahaaa, maybe so. But only because Top Gun is one of the best films ever made (non negotiable fact, I'm afraid), and this sequel is entirely unnecessary and looks like it's going to be veering into SciFi nonsense. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I love me some SciFi nonsense, but in this case it doesn't fit with what came before.

If you want to make a cool movie about contemporary military aviation, then make a cool movie about contemporary military aviation. After all, that's what the original was.

But instead of coming up with a new idea (gasp!) or new characters(shock!), they have to try and peddle it to us, especially those of us of a certain age (I was born in '84, so I'm not peak Top Gun generation, but I still have seen it enough that I know it line for line...), by using familiarity and nostalgia. And reality isn't cool enough, so lets give 'em all kinds of nonsense future tech and invent the idea of some kind of actual competition between pilots & drones, rather than seeing them as complementary parts of the whole MilAviation System.

As Mike and Jay (and possibly Rich Evans) would say, 'I clapped because I recognised things!'

Just for future reference, the three best films ever made are (in order):

1. Top Gun

2. Bubba Ho-Tep

3. The Big Lebowski.

Edited by Diggun

13 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Looks Like Tom Cruise got an excuse to show off his P-51.

But that‘s a good thing, right?

14 minutes ago, Diggun said:

all off-duty Naval Aviators do is play homoerotic volleyball,

...while the rest just plays homoerotic?

16 minutes ago, Diggun said:

indulge in group singing sessions of '50's classics around pianos

Try singing Baha Mens „Who let the dogs out“ when drunk.

17 minutes ago, Diggun said:

enter into inappropriate relationships with civilian contractors

Realistically, they have to do that in order to ensure their pensions. It makes the NAVY end up with aircraft that can‘t operate from carries in the foreseeable future, but have to have priorities in life, right? Full immersion here.

21 minutes ago, Diggun said:

If 'Phoenix' ends up as Tom Cruise's love interest i'mma barf in my oxygen mask.

Why, she‘s legal, right? There‘s some improvements since Woody Allen.

26 minutes ago, Diggun said:

Wouldn't it have been more interesting to have Maverick being ordered around by a superior officer significantly younger than him rather than the geriatric Ed Harris? But no, that'd destroy the myth of TC as a permanent young upstart.

Ed Harris is definitely old enough for being retired twice from administrative duties. Tom Cruise, at 57, should have been promoted away from flying some 30 years ago. 27 is about the edge of what seems tolerable for the NAVY. If you haven‘t been promoted away from active duties by then, things went bad for you and you will be removed a bit later a bit more permanent. You really should have a good relationship with a civilian contractor by then. (And she better be legal.)

• Haha 1

Just now, ZachariasX said:

(And she better be legal.)

Otherwise it'd be Top Gun 2: Tailhook....

• Haha 1

That doesnt actually look as bad as I was expecting. Totally agree thats its an unnecessary film, and just another attempt to cash in on nostalgia, but it does at least look watchable.. 

oh and Ed Harris looks like my grandmother.. who made that casting decision?

• Haha 1

Hm ..., Top Gun was great back then ..., I was a teenager and found this movie stunning to watch in cinema. But if it needs a part two after decades? I really don't know. Anyhow, I am not very excited about it, but hey, Tom Cruise is really looking freshly pulled out of the fountain of youth. Wish I would do like him or is that a wonder of CGI as well 😁??? Poor Kelly ...

As for the Mustang: I've been to Duxford last weekend and there was a booth presenting a new movie about the P-51 called "American Warhorse". It's a more documentary one (no Tom, no Val ....) scheduled for summer 2020, maybe some of you heard about that already. I am defintitely interested in watching that one! There's not much on the web yet, but there's a FC site: https://www.facebook.com/AmericanWarhorse/

AmercianWarhorse.jpg

One more vote for “not nearly as horrific as expected.” My wife and I watched it last night (the original was her favorite movie...she jokes that it’s the only reason she married a fighter pilot) and I went into it already wincing, but I enjoyed it enough to watch it twice. 

Just now, I./ZG1_feuervogel said:

Hm ..., Top Gun was great back then ..., I was a teenager and found this movie stunning to watch in cinema. But if it needs a part two after decades? I really don't know. Anyhow, I am not very excited about it, but hey, Tom Cruise is really looking freshly pulled out of the fountain of youth. Wish I would do like him or is that a wonder of CGI as well 😁??? Poor Kelly ...

As for the Mustang: I've been to Duxford last weekend and there was a booth presenting a new movie about the P-51 called "American Warhorse". It's a more documentary one (no Tom, no Val ....) scheduled for summer 2020, maybe some of you heard about that already. I am defintitely interested in watching that one! There's not much on the web yet, but there's a FC site: https://www.facebook.com/AmericanWarhorse/

AmercianWarhorse.jpg

If it’s anything like the recent(ish) Spitfire documentary, it’ll be fantastic. 

I would be interested, but I try to stay away from Tom Cruise movies on principal - I'm not contributing to his Scientology cult in any way.

12 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Mr. Cruise is not a CGI fan as you can see from all the crazy stunts he does himself in the MI films. Apparently he even learned to fly a helicopter to fly some of the stunts in MI6.

That said, the shots of him flying a super-hornet in the trailer is obviously in the two seat F model. I would expect to see a lot of actual F/A-18s flying and not a big amount of CGI.

The trailer looks cool! I have rewatched Top Gun a few times recently, still holds up well after 30 years.

39 minutes ago, Go_Pre said:

If it’s anything like the recent(ish) Spitfire documentary, it’ll be fantastic. 

made by the same guys I think

• Thanks 1

First, HUGE Top Gun fan from the day it came out. I was 13 years old and obsessed with airplanes. I've seen it almost as many times as Star Wars. The movie is cheesy as hell, but it's all part of the fun. But let's try to piece together the plot from the trailer clues.

Anyone want to start?

1. He's in some kind of pressurized suit. Someone mentioned maybe testing a anti-satellite weapon above. Sounds possible.

2. In the shot while in formation the Hornets are carrying GBUs. Maverick is clearly leading the flight which we also see among snowy mountains. My bet is they are on a low level strike? But is it the end of the movie or the beginning? 

3. We see a glimpse of a scene with someone resembling Goose playing the piano and singing. I bet that's Goose Jr.

4. We see a bunch of young guys, my guess is Mav is sent to train them and then he ends up leading them on a mission.

5. in the shot with Ed Harris, Mav looks a bit disheveled and he is in the spacesuit. I bet that flight didn't go well and Mav almost died, hence the "Not today" comment.

6. Top Gun school was moved from Miramar in San Diego to Fallon NAS in northern Nevada in the 90s. The Marines took over Miramar and now it's a MCAS. Navy not welcome. LOL So how does the team end up on the beach again or are they gonne skip that fact?

Good times ahead! And if Iceman is in it, they will probably not show his cameo and try to keep it a surprise. I think Kilmer said he is in it though. 

Jason 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

First, HUGE Top Gun fan from the day it came out. I was 13 years old and obsessed with airplanes. I've seen it almost as many times as Star Wars. The movie is cheesy as hell, but it's all part of the fun. But let's try to piece together the plot from the trailer clues.

Anyone want to start?

1. He's in some kind of pressurized suit. Someone mentioned maybe testing a anti-satellite weapon above. Sounds possible.

2. In the shot while in formation the Hornets are carrying GBUs. Maverick is clearly leading the flight which we also see among snowy mountains. My bet is they are on a low level strike? But is it the end of the movie or the beginning? 

3. We see a glimpse of a scene with someone resembling Goose playing the piano and singing. I bet that's Goose Jr.

4. We see a bunch of young guys, my guess is Mav is sent to train them and then he ends up leading them on a mission.

5. in the shot with Ed Harris, Mav looks a bit disheveled and he is in the spacesuit. I bet that flight didn't go well and Mav almost died, hence the "Not today" comment.

6. Top Gun school was moved from Miramar in San Diego to Fallon NAS in northern Nevada in the 90s. The Marines took over Miramar and now it's a MCAS. Navy not welcome. LOL So how does the team end up on the beach again or are they gonne skip that fact?

Good times ahead! And if Iceman is in it, they will probably not show his cameo and try to keep it a surprise. I think Kilmer said he is in it though. 

Jason 

Any thoughts at the F14 shot right at the end Jason ?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Yeah agreed. Also the line about 'Your kind is coming to an end' which is set up in the trailer to sound like it's what Cruise is replying to when he says 'not today' is clearly (and, weirdly clumsily) inserted from another part of the movie.

Edited by Diggun

10 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I want some butts!!!

Would you settle for a shirtless, sweaty, homoerotic beach volleyball scene?
/NTTAWT

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

He's flying a High altitude spy plane over Mother Russia searching for news of the latest DD ;)
gets shot down, and crash lands in Iran, but manages to steal an F14 . . . . nah that can't be right, doesn't explain all the hornet shots . . . back to the drawing board

Edit: Although there was a P51 in the trailer so maybe I am onto something after all . . . ;)

Edited by ACG_Herne

Hopefully the soundtrack is as great as in the first part.

Top Gun was Miami Vice with airplanes and we know how the MV movie turned out sundtrack-wise...

1 hour ago, ACG_Herne said:

Any thoughts at the F14 shot right at the end Jason ?

Clearly some kind of nostalgia play. Not sure. everyone is saying it is CGI, but I don't think it would be hard to bring one out of mothballs, but I think that would have made the news here.

So looking at the trailer a bit more I see the P-51 at a desert strip. This is may be Fallon, NV or some other desolate airfield where Mav has his P-51 and motorcycle stashed. And there is a quick shot of a female pilot callsign 'Phoenix' followed by scenes of drama (Goose Jr. pointing and being upset etc.) and then funeral scenes. Million bucks she is close to Goose Jr. and she dies, possibly during training Mav is overseeing.  There are going to be a lot of similarity to the first movie as far as the dangers of flying etc. The good news is I don't see any boring drones flying around. I'n guessing there will be more 'generational' conflict in this one then a technological battle. Humans vs. drones etc.

Jason

32 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Clearly some kind of nostalgia play. Not sure. everyone is saying it is CGI, but I don't think it would be hard to bring one out of mothballs, but I think that would have made the news here.

Jason

Supposedly all F-14s have been completely destroyed or hollowed out to prevent spare parts from going to Iran.  So this might actually be very difficult to do.

30 minutes ago, Sharpe43 said:

From what Ive seen they 'borrowed' an aircraft from the San Diego air and space museum..

edit: ah: https://theaviationist.com/2019/06/14/we-got-some-walkaround-photos-of-the-f-14-tomcat-used-for-the-filming-of-top-gun-maverick/

Yep Ok now I got the plot I think. Mav and his squad go attack what will be a fictional country modeled after Iran and they attack some kind of base in the mountains and this country has "old F-14s" as still part of their inventory. Hence the odd paintjob on that F-14 that was used in the movie shoot in San Diego. Total giveaway detail.

Spoiler alert time: That CGI F-14 is seen at the end of the trailer you see it flying over the same snowy mountains. My guess is Mav will then inform the kids of the F-14s weaknesses since he is an expert in all things Tomcat. Oh the irony of it all!!!!!!

Here's the plot folks - Mav is a old timer pilot, and now test pilot, he is then transferred to train some youngsters,  one youngster is killed under his command (female pilot Phoenix), then they are assigned a mission to destroy an enemy base and perhaps Mav is selected to lead the raid because they may encounter old F-14s. F-18s engage enemy F-14s and Mav saves the day as always. Two possible endings here, one Mav dies on the mission or two he bags two and becomes a certified Ace. 

Another guess is Iceman is the Admiral that hand picks Mav for the mission at the end. Oh and guy playing the piano is Goose Jr. And John Hamm is just there for eye candy. LOL

The End.

Jason  

• Like 3