LF_Gallahad

So who is getting the new 3000 Ryzen series?

Konichiwa!

With the new AMD series releasing this weekend, who is upgrading? What options have you choosed?

I am buying a 3600 coming from a 1600. As I don't have to upgrade my mobo this will make my machine more future proof. The new single core performance looks way better.

I'm waiting until I see some detailed reviews. There are a few things I'd like to check before choosing any components, including

• OC capabilities of each model
  • Memory compatibility and scaling
  • Analysis of available motherboards

Coming from an Intel platform, the need to get a motherboard makes things slightly more complicated, especially with the high prices reported for X570.

My 2700x does a fine job. Don`t need it.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I am, for sure, later this year.

My rig is, well, OK for IL-Box, even in 4K.

However ... DCS World is so much more demanding in comparison, especially in MP, heavy action and 4K !

That new Nvidia RTX 2070 *SUPER* also feels like I ... will need it.

The Ryzen 3000-3600 indeed looks fine and affordable too.

Good luck.

Edited by simfan2015

I'll buy the new Ryzen later this year or maybe an i7 instead, if the price drops enough.

Actually my 6 year old i5 is still doing a great job and all games i currently play (not a lot though) run fine even at 3440x1440 since i upgraded my GPU. But now my RAM is really limiting me and i don't want to spend money on upgrading RAM for that old system. So it's finally time for an upgrade.

I went IBM a few years ago and i've loved it, AMD have been solid choices over the years and I have been looking at some of the 2700 chips, i guess this'll just drop their price which is good news all round.

No need but the reviews look excellent for AMD.

I'm waiting for some review of new Ryzens for IL-2 or DCS. I have to decide between 9900k and the new Ryzen.

S!

Waiting for my Ryzen 3900X to arrive :) Also upgraded my mobo to ASUS ROG HERO VIII and increased memory to 32Gb 3600MHz CL16. Ryzen thrashed Intel in CineBench etc. In gaming they traded blows, but the margin was really small in favor of either one in resolutions I play. Currently I get 120-200fps on Kuban map. Shall see how it performs compared to 2700X.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Waiting for my Ryzen 3900X to arrive :) Also upgraded my mobo to ASUS ROG HERO VIII and increased memory to 32Gb 3600MHz CL16. Ryzen thrashed Intel in CineBench etc. In gaming they traded blows, but the margin was really small in favor of either one in resolutions I play. Currently I get 120-200fps on Kuban map. Shall see how it performs compared to 2700X.

Do you have some VR headset? I'm curious how new Ryzen will perform in IL-2/DCS VR in compare with 9900k. Both overclocked obviously.

BTW. I didn't know new Ryzens are available for purchase already.

Edited by Bies
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

Waiting for my Ryzen 3900X to arrive :)

Can't wait hearing you tell us how it performs. First reviews indicate that it could really be hard competition for Intel, even for games.

Posted (edited)

Hi again,

From reviews/testing it has been proven that for gaming only it makes little sense to get anything higher than the new Ryzen 3700X (got that from several reviews) ... won't get you more FPS (just maybe 1 or 2, irrelevant). We really don't need e.g. the upcoming Ryzen 3950X it seems.

But maybe a new CPU is not even needed because ....

what makes a much bigger difference/improvement, especially for gaming and video rendering and in most cases, is simply upgrading the GPU ... as we all know. 

IL-2 is not even that demanding (except VR maybe?) compared to ... DCS in 4K Ultra ! To get that right, especially VR, we need the best rig we can buy !

IL-2 gets me acceptable framerates in 4K, even on a non-gaming PC  ... unlike DCS.

Disclaimer : maybe IL-2 is an exception, the above applies to most games. 

Regards,

Stefaan

Edited by simfan2015

S!

I am planning to go VR at some point. Seems it is getting better now in terms of FOV etc. But until then I am perfectly happy with the 2560x1080 200Hz Wide screen. All games I play run at over 100fps average easily on my current 2700X + 2080Ti. And that is where I like my FPS, over 100. As I do not play competetive FPS games the 200+ FPS is useless to me so Ryzen will do just fine. I am eager to see if the memory speed will make any difference, going from 3200MHz to 3600MHz and having 32Gb instead of 16Gb. I feel AMD is getting back into the game again, which is good.

@LLv34_FlankerRyzen 3900X to arrive :) Also upgraded my mobo to ASUS ROG HERO VIII and increased memory to 32Gb 3600MHz CL16.?

That is most probably going to get you great FPS even in DCS and VR Ultra settings !

If only upgrading like that for IL-2 ... IMHO a bit overkil !?

Of couse, an even faster PC is always nice to have since 3 years from now something like "IL-3" may eat it for breakfast 🙂

Regards,

Stefaan

LLv34_Flanker: Impressive setup!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simfan2015 said:

@LLv34_FlankerRyzen 3900X to arrive :) Also upgraded my mobo to ASUS ROG HERO VIII and increased memory to 32Gb 3600MHz CL16.?

That is most probably going to get you great FPS even in DCS and VR Ultra settings !

If only upgrading like that for IL-2 ... IMHO a bit overkil !?

Of couse, an even faster PC is always nice to have since 3 years from now something like "IL-3" may eat it for breakfast 🙂

Regards,

Stefaan

What setup did you use before? I'm interested in comparing overclocked 9900K and overclocked 3900X in IL-2 or DCS in virtual reality.

I want to decide to the end of this week between 9900K and 3900X.

cheers

Posted (edited)

Hallo Bies,

The reason I am upgrading is the fact that I am still using lower end Core i5, and yes even i3, PCs + GTX 1050 Ti / 1060 6GB.

These rigs are no longer OK for DCS, but IMHO for IL-2 non-VR, even 4K! these are still OK (noet getting 120 FPS of course 🙂.

FWIW ... I got my information a.o. from below links (but same type comparisons are all over the internet) :

In the end I decided on the new AMD 3700X (369 EURO in my country, much cheaper in US) because it seems to be sufficient for at least the RTX 2070 SUPER. 

A decision to go either Intel or AMD is quite complicated.
The main reason I, personally, decided to go AMD (for CPU that is) is because of spectre and other PC threats that does not seem to bother AMD CPUs that much (but that reason is very
 subjective).

The GPU OTOH is quite clear (again, to me anyway) since there is nothing like the RTX 2080 SUPER GPU in the AMD range.
This may change soon though ... even this year if one can wait that long (?). 

I wonder though ... why are people here planning to upgrade to these quite expensive ninja-type rigs ... for IL-2 ONLY ??? DCS or e.g. Battlefield ???

Kind regards,
Stefaan

Edited by simfan2015

S!

Stefaan. I upgrade just for the fun of it, kind of a hobby and get good deals from my local computer store :) I do not need to upgrade, but I rather put money in my hobbies than in alcohol, dirty women and other not so healthy options :D @skline00 Thank you :) Waiting for the "bigger" Navi GPUs from AMD. Shall see if they can challenge the 2080Ti. RT is not a feature I need that much, have only one game using it: Battlefield V..

Posted (edited)

If just for this sim its waste of money. i5 7600 (3.9Ghz), GTX 1660 (6GB) and SSD is more than enough for non VR setup up to 2k. I was playing IL2 on even weaker system at 1200p no probs all maxed out (SSAO OFF).

Its another story if one wants to play modern titles with all maxed out or if wants to use PC also for editing/rendering/3D etc.

With my i5 I can run ARMA3, SCUM, and IL2 GB (NO VR) all maxed out no probs at 1200p.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

Posted (edited)

@LLv34_Flanker,

"good deals from my local computer store" ... maybe you can really 'upgrade' (they taking back components?).

In my home country computers (and everything else) is real expensive, especially because of 21% VAT plus local taxes.

Not much 'fun' upgrading if only because of that !

e.g. in the US the new RTX 2070 Super cards are sold for around 500 USD ... here the equivalent of at least 600 USD... known issue with most goods here in some parts of Europe.

If you can wait for the "bigger" Navi 10, it might be worth is.

But waiting in my country doesn't do much good, prices won't drop here anyway most of the time (even on older stuff) !

Even on IL-2 modules I had to pay that 21% VAT. What is European Added Value to do with Russian made software, bought in fact in ... Russia (or HK) !?

I call that legal robbery.

OTOH I evny you ... getting good deals would also make me upgrade more often for sure !

Kins regards,

Stefaan

Edited by simfan2015

S!

Good deals mean I can give my "old" parts in change, so it drops the price a bit. And as I always have original packages, it is easier to sell the "old" parts too. After this update I need to get the pedals. I have CH Pro pedals, but want Baur´s pedals or Slaw´s 190 pedals. Then my setup is pretty much OK, except VR which I am looking into.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

but I rather put money in my hobbies than in alcohol, dirty women and other not so healthy options 😄

You sound like you need to gtet your priorities sorted out mate🤣

Edited by RhumbaAzul
Spilling.
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I plan on getting a new desktop in September to replace my old i7-920 at 4 Ghz with GTX 970 and I was set on getting the i9-9900k with a RTX 2080, but now I'm thinking about the Ryzen 9 3900x too. I've been saving up for 2 years for this and want almost the best out there so I don't have to upgrade anything for quite a while so I don't mind spending more.

I've never had an AMD processor before.

Edited by WallysWorld

1 hour ago, WallysWorld said:

I plan on getting a new desktop in September to replace my old i7-920 at 4 Ghz with GTX 970 and I was set on getting the i9-9900k with a RTX 2080, but now I'm thinking about the Ryzen 9 3900x too. I've been saving up for 2 years for this and want almost the best out there so I don't have to upgrade anything for quite a while so I don't mind spending more.

I've never had an AMD processor before.

Reviews are showing that the 9700K and 9900K remain the best performing CPUs in most gaming scenarios, although by a very small margin.

Also, keep in mind that buying the most expensive products for "future-proofing" is generally not effective. If you get a slightly slower model at a fraction of the price, you can upgrade more frequently and enjoy better performance most of the time thanks to new products being faster and cheaper.

This is especially true when choosing CPUs for gaming, where 12 cores are rarely utilized and identical performance can be achieved with much more economical 6 or 8 core models.

S!

As poster above said. Even the 3700X is a good CPU for less price. I took the 3900X just because being geeky and sucker for new things :P My current 2700X is fully capable of pushing over 100fps in ANY game I play at 2560x1080 200Hz monitor combined with the 2080Ti. In IL-2 I get 140-200fps on Ultra settings ove Kuban. I do not expect lot of improvement with the 3900X, but could be beneficial in DCS etc. with the higher clocks.

Indeed Flanker, it s the 2080 Ti that s doing that for you, not any CPU at this time can accomplish this.

That s why indeed even the new AMD 3700X CPU seems to be OK ... even for 4K and VR IF it is assisted by the very best GPU (lot s of) money can buy !

BTW, what I wrote was not my own experience (like yours), just by reading tests and repeating other people s experiences.

I will join the club though ... can t wait any longer.

Regards,

Stefaan

Thanks for the info. I'll wait until September and see how the reviews are for the new Ryzens and then decide.

Posted (edited)

I bought the 3600 x , coming from an 1600 X. I am nicely suprised by the huge plus it gives me in Vr. Having a 1070 and an oculus rft CV1 i now have with  the following settings a constant 80 - 88  fps in Multiplayer (with little action)  with little drops to the 6oies. Ryzen overclocks on a x370 board to 4.3 Ghz, it is a very smooth experience in comparison to the 1600x. My Ram is 3200 CL14.

Presets balanced:

Settings are:

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 1024
    draw_distance = 0.54500
    fps_counter = 1
    fps_limit = 0
    full_height = 1080
    full_width = 1920
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 0.70000
    grass_distance = 0.00000
    hdr_enable = 1
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 1
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 2
    multisampling = 1
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 2064
    or_hud_rad = 1.50000
    or_hud_size = 0.75000
    or_ipd = 0.07037
    or_width = 1744
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 1
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 2
    ssao_enable = 0
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 768
    win_width = 1280
[END]

first impressions are very good for me. for 250 EUR its a good deal.

Cinebench single CPU:

1555091018_Cinebench1600xSingle_2019-07-12113855.thumb.png.66a55331e53b82eab8574e5d4832c588.png

cheers

Jimmy

edit: ok over Kuban fps drop down to 50 to 60 but overall i have the impression that it is much smoother than before. need to tweak it more, at the moment im running beta Bios on Auto settings.

Edited by JimmySolarium
Info added
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I find the new single core performance really nice, everything runs really smooth. With a 1.3 in OTT i am most of the time in the high 80 fps.

It constantly boost up to 4.4 Ghz, with this beta bios without any manual OC.

For whom it may be of interest, I attached this CPU - Z comparison benches.

Cheers,

Jimmy

CPUZ_Bench 2019-07-15 8700K.png

CPUZ_Bench 2019-07-15 9900K.png

CPUZ_Bench 2019-07-15 201136.png

Edited by JimmySolarium
typo

I think that my 8700k@5.1 will be useful for some years. Anyway, I think it's nice for all of us that there's competition. Intel has been doing poorly improvements these years.