Sign in to follow this  
JUSTPLANECRAZY

Help with TPR pedals

HELP i have just recently purchased some Thrustmaster TPRs and they bang like hell where the 2 silver arms come out from the top of the main body, can anyone with a set PLEASE tell me if this is the way they are made or did i get a knackered set ?

Posted (edited)

Don't "sounds" normal, probable matter of adjustment, in Reddit was posted a picture of one these TPR "turnbuckle" broken in bolt attachment.

Edited by Sokol1

Thanks for the reply mate, i have only had them a week they work fine but they sound awful i can hear them over the game with the speaker on, i have them set so i am only using my big toes to control its the only way im comfortable, but the clunk is a joke i have the sensitivity very light and hardly touch them and they sound and feel like something is going to break, the instruction book (such as it is) tells you nothing of that part so i was assuming you didnt have to do anything with it, i have googled for help and found nothing. 

1 hour ago, JUSTPLANECRAZY said:

HELP i have just recently purchased some Thrustmaster TPRs and they bang like hell where the 2 silver arms come out from the top of the main body, can anyone with a set PLEASE tell me if this is the way they are made or did i get a knackered set ?

Can you describe what you mean by banging? Like the pedals slamming against the top and bottom of the rails? Because that sounds like a disconnected or loose spring. 

Hi there, the problem is at the top of the main body where the 2 arms come out you can clunk them from side to side rather a lot, (a bit much for my liking) yes they should have a little space so as to not grind, they have a cream coloured rubber on each side where the arms come out but they also have a whole lot of daylight/space and they bang like shit and i dont even use the toe brakes on them, i hardly touch them with only my big toe on each pedal putting next to no weight on them and at the slightest movement of the pedals its clunk clunk every time, i have only used them on monday i cant fly because its annoying and a worry feeling and sounding like they do, i cant even take a picture because i dont have access to a camera and dont know how else to explain it.   

Sounds like either the rods came loose (as they are a replaceable item) or the mount that holds them has broken. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply i have looked again at them and it seems its coming from the bar what runs through the top of the main body and attaches to the pedals, they must have at least a 3 mil gap each side and something in there is scraping away like metal on metal like a gritty sound and feel (a spindle needing greased) kind of sound and feel, sorry im not the best at explaining anything lol (frustrating is an understatement) i appreciate your help thanks. 

2 hours ago, JUSTPLANECRAZY said:

the problem is at the top of the main body where the 2 arms come

Hi JPC, as you know, I have the same pedals, and at first I thought you were talking about something at the rear of the vertical 'body'.

On re-reading your description though, it sounds like you're referring to the two swivel points at the top, front of the body casing.

There is an axle which runs right through and protrudes at each end, with the two rudder arms mounted on each end of it.

If that is what you are referring to, and if that's where the clunking is coming from, then it's clearly a factory fault.

The main rudder arms are already attached, out of the box, so it's definitely not a case of your assembly being wrong.

There should be no play at all, and certainly no clunking sound. Mine have about a 2mm gap, each side, between the casing

and the pendular arm, taken up by a whitish (nylon?) washer. No gap 

I think you need to take apart the parts that you assembled, repack the whole lot, and return it for a replacement.

• Thanks 1

Hello my friend you have NAILED it, and at the price i paid for them they wont be sitting on my floor a minute longer than they need to, THANKS again to ALL for the help MUCH APPRECIATED. :salute:  

On 6/21/2019 at 10:47 AM, JUSTPLANECRAZY said:

Hello my friend you have NAILED it, and at the price i paid for them they wont be sitting on my floor a minute longer than they need to, THANKS again to ALL for the help MUCH APPRECIATED. :salute:  

Do yourself a favour and don't get a replacement pair. I had one of the first examples sold and they broke within a week of light use. Get yourself some virpil pedals when they release them. I now have the BRD pedals which the Virpils are based and they're way better built and user friendly than the TPR's.

• Thanks 1

Hello mate i was actually thinking of trying something else once they get round to refunding me, i had only used the damn things on the monday and they never felt or sounded right from the moment i started using them, i have had a look at my other options but im skint until they pull there finger out and get something sorted , i have found out late in the day that for all they look fancy and solid on the outside they have cheap crap components inside, one thing for sure im grounded for a good while, THANKS for the advice mate i will take a look at them and probably add them to my shortlist much appreciated. :salute:

• Thanks 1

@JUSTPLANECRAZY

I recommend you writing to Thrustmaster's support, they really helped me with my warthog stick problem, all I had to do was to describe the problem, make a video presenting the issue, then after review they have sent me new parts with instruction on how to fix it, but since your pedals were brand new, you may not want to fiddle with it.

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2019 at 9:39 AM, RhumbaAzul said:

I had one of the first examples sold and they broke within a week of light use

I read hundreds of reviews before buying mine, and one of the selling points for me was their reported robustness. I  found only one reviewer who reported a component failure.

He claimed that the part connecting the pedal arm to the scissor mechanism, on one side, had broken during normal use. In use, there is no strain at all on this part, so I think it is more likely that he snapped it during assembly and wanted to claim on his warranty.

I have only had them for 4 months, but they have had daily, often vigorous use, and show absolutely no sign of any wear and tear. Still very smooth and accurate.

I sympathise with RhumbaAzil for his breakage, but that is only the second instance I have heard of.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:43 AM, JUSTPLANECRAZY said:

i have found out late in the day that for all they look fancy and solid on the outside they have cheap crap components inside

I had to rise to the bait!

The review that finalised my decision to buy (along with their immediate availability, unlike my first choice, Crosswinds), was written by a Slaw Device user, who opened the casing and was impressed with the build quality.

I found that review again: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/thrustmaster-tpr-is-the-king-of-mass-market-flight-sim-pedals/

If you don't have time to read the whole thing, a couple of selective quotes:

"Beyond fidelity to the real world, this kind of mechanism is considerably less vulnerable to one of the most notorious problems of flat parallelogram pedals—there’s no sliding track that can collect dust, hair, and other crud and foul the pedals’ movement. The pedals will articulate just as smoothly after a year of sitting under your desk as they do when they’re fresh out of the box.

From a materials perspective, the pedals are almost entirely made of metal. The prominent swing arms and stirrups are high-grade die-cast aluminum alloy, and the device’s body is high-grade punched carbon steel.  The pivot shafts are stainless steel, and the few plastic bits are high-grade thermopolymer from the German automotive industry. Every part that has a range of motion has a corresponding (replaceable!) rubber bump stop to limit noise and wear."

"I was a little apprehensive as I prepared to peek inside, but I need not have worried—inside and out, the TPR pedals are very tidy. The unconventional exterior houses a functionally minimalist interior—most of that enormous humpy shape is empty space, and the few components are assiduously packaged as opposed to shoved in there with wild abandon, like the Warthog.

I was pleased to see hefty strain relief on all the visible cables, and the opposite ends of those cables have strain relief as well. No haphazard wire bundles were visible anywhere inside of the device, and if the industrial design is perhaps a bit ungainly, the engineering appears clean and careful.

Most of the electronics are housed in a removable plastic box, accessible on the rear of the central pedestal. Inside that box is a nice Thrustmaster-branded PCB featuring an NXP LPC11U35F ARM microcontroller. The toe brakes and central scissor mechanism are each tied to their own small outboard PCBs.

Everything is either soldered, screwed, or secured via clips. Hot glue is mercifully absent."

Of course, as is common, the reviewer had been provided with a sample set from the manufacturer, so his findings may be subjective.

The only part of his comprehensive review that I take exception to, is his finding that the toe brake pedals "feel like metal rubbing against metal."

Maybe he had an early production set, and Thrustmaster acted on his criticism, because mine feel as silky smooth to operate as the main axis does.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not questioning your decision to replace with another manufacturer, each to his own.

I'm just offering a different perspective, mainly so that anyone else considering these pedals as an option, won't be totally put off before going ahead with their own research. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and would recommend them to anyone who may be put off by the availability/wait time constraints that go with Slaw and Crosswind pedals.

Edited by jaygee485

Jaygee mate maybe its just my luck as my brother in law keeps quoting me, if theres one in a million goosed then thats the one i will end up with no matter what i buy TRUTH.

• Like 1