15 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

The RoF AI did exactly what most people want from AI.  It was difficult to kill at first, but eventually died.  The majority of players don’t want AI that they can’t catch and kill.

Yeah - I just wish they had made it an option.  If people wanted to choose easy/dumb AI they could, but the rest of us could actually enjoy having AI that tried to use their planes in accordance with their historical strengths.  Since they already had different levels of AI experience in the game, it's too bad they couldn't figure out a way to have retained the different behaviors in some way linked to those AI experience levels.  I'm all for catering to the masses in some respects - it's just disappointing when something good has to get lost for everybody in the process.

17 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

The RoF AI did exactly what most people want from AI.  It was difficult to kill at first, but eventually died.  The majority of players don’t want AI that they can’t catch and kill.

You know that for a fact?..

I think most players would love an update from the merry go round that we currently have.. It is boring.

4 minutes ago, Bullets said:

You know that for a fact?..

I think most players would love an update from the merry go round that we currently have.. It is boring.

Yes, I do.  They got rid of the boom and zoom behavior because people complained about it.

The merry go round is not nearly as boring as AI that you can’t catch.

I feel like a good comprimise would be to let the mission editor decide on a dogfighting style, maybe. Like if just "engage enemy planes" or whatever is enabled they'll use whatever tactic is most effective, which would be good for missions with bombers and an objective, and then maybe a "force dogfight" option that restricts their patterns to more aggressive ones?

That doubles the cost of working on AI, which extremely expensive to begin with.  So don’t get your hopes up.

If they keep going with the changes added in the last patch, the AI experience will become better. I have tried QMB and COOP/Career and the AI does more reasonable things in the two later ones. 

Sorry for the OT

As for the Mustang, I think it will be a fierce enemy. I wonder if they are going to make the numbers an important part of the combat. Maybe you don't find 2 Mustangs as a tough opponent in your K4 with your wingman but maybe 10 planes against your pair will be different. That fact alone can make even a P47 something else at low alt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LF_Gallahad said:

As for the Mustang, I think it will be a fierce enemy. I wonder if they are going to make the numbers an important part of the combat. Maybe you don't find 2 Mustangs as a tough opponent in your K4 with your wingman but maybe 10 planes against your pair will be different. That fact alone can make even a P47 something else at low alt.

I hope they reflect that in single player career mode. IIRC in the late stage of the war, at end 44/45 the US and UK had about 10-20 fold numerical superiority in the air. As for MP, this is up to the server owner to decide.

• Upvote 1

A mod called 'Criquet's AI Mod' fixed that behavior, so the coding was still there.

Even if since ME262 arrived I dont play anything but that plane, I will be happy to fly the Pony and the Tempest... 

Awaiting them calmly, I have what I wanted already ☺️

Posted (edited)

For an interesting AI experience, set up a Quick Mission on the Kuban, with yourself in an Me 262 at 7000, and an AI set on veteran in an A20B starting a 4000m.  Use the spawn point at Maikop.

It's shocking how well the AI fly the A20 as a fighter.  I find it easier to take them down with the 190D than the 262 actually. 

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

For an interesting AI experience, set up a Quick Mission on the Kuban, with yourself in an Me 262 at 7000, and an AI set on veteran in an A20B starting a 4000m.  Use the spawn point at Maikop.

It's shocking how well the AI fly the A20 as a fighter.  I find it easier to take them down with the 190D than the 262 actually. 

197 victory ace Walter Krupinski had the following to say abaout his first enemy encounter in a Me 262 with JV 44:

"Krupinski lined up the first one and closed on it in the hope of claiming a P-38 on his first flight in the Me 262. A pursuit ensued over the rooftops of Innsbruck, with Krupinski opening fire with his 30 mm MK 108 cannon. But his efforts were in vain – the veteran Jagdflieger watched in dismay as the P-38 slid away beneath him, and as the Me 262 powered forward, too fast; ‘It was just the same as in the early days against the Russians when they flew those old biplanes like the I-153 and the I-16 Ratas, and we flew the Bf 109 – there was such a difference in speed and you had to compensate, and I didn’t.’

Forsyth, Robert. Jagdverband 44 (Aviation Elite Units) (Kindle-Positionen1014-1019). Osprey Publishing. Kindle-Version. "

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

This is an issue for many of the "bombers" in Box. Makes think the use of genuine structural limits might help.

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Ha ha, funny you mention that. I did almost exactly that for my first flight in the 262 at 1000 meters. I never did get a shot on the A20 and switched to an easier enemy to see how the guns fired. I thought it was just me acting like a noob, but the A20 was tough to get a shot on.

The A-20 was hard to shoot down in IL-2 already.

It's an attack plane, not a full-sized bomber and the AI exploits that to the fullest...

A-20 is hands down the best plane that VVS have now in-game 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A-20 is meat on the table, I don't care who is flying it - AI or human.

I can't believe people have problems blowing it out of the sky.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

A-20 is meat on the table, I don't care who is flying it - AI or human.

She'll surprise you! 😄

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

She'll surprise you! 😄

TFW the meat is armed with 0.50 cal MGs

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Talon_ said:

She'll surprise you! 😄

If the guy you are fighting doesn't mis-estimate your energy, you're dead. 

Btw the topic is not about your pride of shooting fighters with A20. Lot of player are able to do the same. 

I will still choose the P51 over the A20 for air to air fighting ;)

Edited by F/JG300_Faucon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Only when I'm doing 650 kph in a 262 and try to turn into it... 😛 

7 hours ago, Talon_ said:

She'll surprise you! 😄

A lightly loaded A-20B can be under 8000kg, and those engines can put out 3200hp together. It absolutely shouldn't be bad, not at all

As we have now rightfully established that the A-20 is the Schnitzel, let's turn the narrative back the P-51.

Which skins should be in by default?

Have the tame skinners around here already taken some brain-capacity, strolling through paintschemes on the net?

Which Fighter Groups should be represented in possible campaigns - other than the obvious 352nd and 354th?

Should there be a special, moonshine-running, doodle-bug chasing Mustang IV option, warping around with 82 inches of red hot Freddie Mercury? Don't stop me now!

I need answers!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Should there be a special, moonshine-running, doodle-bug chasing Mustang IV option, warping around with 82 inches of red hot Freddie Mercury?

Love that line of thought. I say yes!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

As we have now rightfully established that the A-20 is the Schnitzel, let's turn the narrative back the P-51.

Have the tame skinners around here already taken some brain-capacity, strolling through paintschemes on the net?

Which Fighter Groups should be represented in possible campaigns - other than the obvious 352nd and 354th?

Should there be a special, moonshine-running, doodle-bug chasing Mustang IV option, warping around with 82 inches of red hot Freddie Mercury? Don't stop me now!

I need answers!

I don't know what skins should be in by default but I am super excited to see both what the devs include and what the community does. The Mustang has an absolutely awesome array of schemes and I'd hope that they can pack in as many for the Mustang as they have for some of the German fighters. I know some types of aircraft just don't have a lot of variation in their skins but the Mustang is not one of those. Lots of options please :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

I need answers!

01.jpg

grab0012.jpg

49 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Essential stuff:

preddy-1.jpg

preddy-2.jpg

Agreed. These two along with the rest below are must have skins for the P-51 imo.

Big%20Beautiful%20Doll%20Profile.jpg

air_mustang27.jpg&key=e9f521fd88e1497b63

image146.jpg

febe0501dbd0ca7b213e36bbcdedfd24.jpg

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Agreed, but you forgot "Nooky Booky"

Kit%20Carson%20(1)-800x400.jpg

And this one for the fond memories:

Unbenannt.png

Edited by sevenless

Gotta love that Bottisham Four shot. But what colours are they? Modellers seem to think they are blue and green on top. Perhaps @Feathered_IV has an idea? 

1 minute ago, Diggun said:

Gotta love that Bottisham Four shot. But what colours are they? Modellers seem to think they are blue and green on top. Perhaps @Feathered_IV has an idea? 

From all I've read they were a standard olive drab on topside. 

I have never understood why anyone would even just think the 361st painted their aircraft (partially) blue.

It should be obvious to a blind man they were using OD.

Given that with other aircraft in this series the devs have given a rather diverse range of 'official' skins I expect those that come with the 'stang will be from many different forces and theatres. Maybe one or two Mustang IV skins and some pretty cool looking examples from the CBI and PTO as well as the usual suspects from the ETO and MTO.

29 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I have never understood why anyone would even just think the 361st painted their aircraft (partially) blue.

It should be obvious to a blind man they were using OD.

I think originally the idea got started because the color photos deteriorated with age and the OD color took on a blue hue.  

• Like 1

I would love to see someone replicate this skin in game. A model I built a while ago : Mustang MK.IVa 1/48

Mustang.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Diggun said:

Fun fact: 

In mid-1944 the P-51’s were actually in RAF Dark Green as that is the paint the VIII Fighter Command had available. The only OD that did eventually appear was the anti glare area but by that time the 8th AF had dropped camo and instead went bare metal.

Many people assume it was USAAF Olive Drab when it was not. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The P-51D sure is a cool plane, but for me the P51-A is the most beautiful of them all, long before the B which i like too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R08bQJCW_Ss

I know it's all feelings (i have no charts) but for me the mustangishness®  is much stronger in the A  ( hopefully at one point we will eventually get an allison Mustang in this sim, i'm waiting for this to happen for so many years....)

Edited by Caudron431Rafale
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

drop tanks, drop tanks everywhere

Edited by CptSiddy