TrueGrey

Joystick Gremlin - Configuration

Posted (edited)

Hello,

So far I have been using Target Script for my configuration, while I kinda like it, I feel bad that it restricts me to hardware from the same brand (Thrustmaster), so decided I would play a bit with something 'universal'. Here comes Joystick Gremlin and as always some problems:

1. I don't really feel the usage of vjoy, why is it necessary if we can bind everything on the physical devices? Is it something like Target's combined device?
  2. When you remap physical button to vjoy button, how can you assign keyboard map to that virtual button?
  3. I understand using HidGuardian is necessary as 'activate' Joystick Gremlin does not remove/hid the physical devices making the game apply default actions to some buttons, but do I really have to unplug/plug them to make it work, is it enough to do it once?
  4. Is there a method to select specific button 'press mode', example: press and immediate release, press and hold, hold (just press without release), release, as I think by default when you 'remap to keyboard' everything behaves like press and hold, which probably is not what I want on binary switches on my throttle.

Since I have not wasted much time on it yet, I could still try something else, if there are better options than Joystick Gremlin feel free to share : )

Thanks in advance.

PS. Example profile would be great as I always learn best from those.

Edited by TrueGrey

Posted (edited)

Bump - as I don't really believe everyone is binding controls in game : ) Actually it might be bit messy, but it should be possible to use dedicated software (if available) for each controller, but to keep it nice and clean using a programm that could combine all controllers in one place would be really helpful.

Edited by TrueGrey

Since latest Windows update to 1903 vJoy doesn't work anymore.

If you are looking for binding buttons & switches have a look at RS Mapper. This free tool does not support axis (maybe in new version) but you can bind all keyboard keys with it. Works great for me.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hsthhsth said:

Since latest Windows update to 1903 vJoy doesn't work anymore.

That is odd, as I can still see vjoy in my controllers and I keep my Windows up to date.

image.png.9de9ba3e1386dd29bf6308186c76f382.png

Gonna have a look at RS Mappers, thanks : )

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 3:10 AM, TrueGrey said:
  1. I don't really feel the usage of vjoy, why is it necessary if we can bind everything on the physical devices? Is it something like Target's combined device?
  2. When you remap physical button to vjoy button, how can you assign keyboard map to that virtual button?
  3. I understand using HidGuardian is necessary as 'activate' Joystick Gremlin does not remove/hid the physical devices making the game apply default actions to some buttons, but do I really have to unplug/plug them to make it work, is it enough to do it once?
  4. Is there a method to select specific button 'press mode', example: press and immediate release, press and hold, hold (just press without release), release, as I think by default when you 'remap to keyboard' everything behaves like press and hold, which probably is not what I want on binary switches on my throttle.

Since I have not wasted much time on it yet, I could still try something else, if there are better options than Joystick Gremlin feel free to share : )

Thanks in advance.

PS. Example profile would be great as I always learn best from those.

1 - Yes, similar to TARGET.  VJoy is used for create the "virtual joystick" with all your controllers (joy, throttle, pedal, etc), respecting the limit of 8 axis, 32 buttons, 1 POV HAT, like TARGET. Joystick Gremlin seems just a GUI for AutoHotKey scripts.

2 - Don't know abot "keyboard map", always find dumb this "press joystick buttons to press keyboards keys to press commands in games". :)

3- HidGuardian is need for hidden physical buttons to Games, allowing map the "virtual joystick" buttons direct in game controls GUI (an option).

4 - Usually is "tempo" function that do this.

BTW - Joystick Gremlin author is used to answer in Reddit/HOTAS.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 1

@Sokol1

Thanks for the answer!

1. Can I use multiple vjoy controllers at once, since 8 axes is not too much?
  2. Is there a better way to do this?