BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 58

One thing bugs me..After I shoot something down and I'm flying along going back to base and all is calm I get this black screen "No Signal"..then plow into the ground then the screen comes back of course :(

Had the same experience, thou only once but in SP this afternoon :O(  and it sure as hell was no to much Gs black-out ...

Those that are familiar with the ROF mission structure, say that everything that could be done with the old IL-2 Co-op mission can be done in ROF, and will therefore also be doable in BOS.

Seems that those that are upset, that there will be no co-op, will have no reason to be upset at all.

Better make this one a sticky caus EO had to repeat it all week-end long.

Reading lots of bad reports but I experienced smooth as butter gameplay and no crashes at all.

I'm in Australia and was playing all weekend on US servers. I observed maybe 5 players lagging (teleporting forward and backward) over the course of 2 days. Each was a European player on a US server - so no surprise.

My ping was about 180-200 throughout. No idea what my FPS was but it was subjectively no worse than playing Rise Of Flight.

I was playing with high settings at 2250x1280 resolution on a single GTX670 ( as SLI is disabled :( ) so I can't fault the rendering. Other machine details are in the sig should you want to know for performance feedback.

I noticed two minor issues:

1. If I failed to check the SLI (which I thought was disabled anyway) checkbox on the launcher window the game black-screened and failed to even display the IL2 splash screen.

2. With my 3 screen setup (portrait mode) all the important preflight UI information (eg server player numbers) seems to fall exactly on the bezels (which I eliminate with a custom resolution to avoid stepping across the bezels).

All in all I was very impressed with the stability and standard of MP at such an early stage of development.

Well done.

All appears to be commimng along very nicely with BOS. Its hard to imagine the hard work that goes into something like this :salute: .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice Machine (PC) Dave, should do the trick with this title. (Im in AU also :) ).

Best Regards,

Boomerang

Hey FlatSpinMan,

Those IL-2's are like Limo's arn't they? :)

Dear friends,

Thank you all for taking part in the early access this weekend. It was very important for us because finding bugs takes more time then fixing them. That's why if you remain being that attentive and persistent then we'll be able to improve the game and achieve very decent quality.
Starting the next week we enter the new phase - debugging. Access will be granted for 24/7. We'll be also publishing our modest requests for each version. For example, we may ask you to fly for some time in the middle of a week. The more players help us the sooner we get the game optimized and polished. Note that there might be some odd versions for some of our necessary experiments.
I'll tell about all that in details later this week ib the dev blog. This short post is for those who read the forum on Mondys.

And again, a huge thanks to everyone, for your activity, for your loyalty to the genre and your trust to us. Let us make a quality product and please take a small part in its creation. And together we will do it.

• Upvote 17

Yay! 24/7 is coming.

Boomer - that was a laugh, eh? Yes, the il2 is just such a smooth riding, hell dealing machine. So much fun to bust things up with.

Thanks for creating such an awesome pice of software. Already in its early state its so much fun to play online. Looking forward to playing a little on a dayly basis and as much as my RL allows me.

My weekend experiences were strange somehow!

All EU servers were laggy and almost unplayable for me , although they had good ping response times (<100 ms). The servers were always completely full (24 - 25 players)

The US servers ran much smoother! They were less crowded (only 10 - 15 players), probably due to time shift between europe and US.

I'm living in Germany...

@ZAK: Thank you, I will be there!  :salute:

Edited by StG2_Manfred

This is great news :)

Some how I get the feeling if the AA isnt bright eyed and bushy tailed, there will be many Seagulls diving on those hot chips, especially on the runways.

My first brief experience of multi player was very positive.

Noticed some lag effect (other plane making zig zag movements for few seconds), but otherwise it was good.

Much better than single player missions ever.

Need to test more next week.

Brilliant news. And if you ask me to fly in the middle of the week, I'll just have to!

• Upvote 1

I've been having so much fun flying online that it's hard to imagine that IL-2 will just keep getting better and better. The large strides you guys take in development each week is impressive enough, but to actually be a part of them and experience them firsthand in a series that I adore is just staggering.  Your team is doing a wonderful job and I hope your team recognizes how much this community appreciates what you are all doing.

Great Zak...MP is a huge step forward and I was delighted with the progress so far. Spotting is good on the U.S. Expert server and that is a big deal for me.

Looking forward to working more on BoS this week.

-Surf

Amazing news, Zak! :yahoo:

Remember me to buy you guys a drink if we ever meet.

One little question: will the 24/7 access also apply to MP servers?

Edited by I/JG27_Rollo

One little question: will the 24/7 access also apply to MP servers?

Let's just wait for the dev blog this Friday ;)

Thank you Zak. Also thanks to everyone who flew on the weekend. It was fun. See you all next week   :salute:   :)  

I would like to join in to ask for coop but what will imho determine how successful BOS will be is how easy user content can be created and used effectively by squadrons, hosts, etc. This has been key to the long life of IL2 with the occasional patches and new maps and objects. The emphasize here is on easy. The FMB in old IL2 was very intuitive and easy to learn which is imho not the case for RoF. 

I understand that the fmb of RoF allows for much more than what old IL2 was capable of but why not take the RoF fmb as a sort of expert mission builder and add a fmb based on what was there in old IL2? 

I would like to join in to ask for coop but what will imho determine how successful BOS will be is how easy user content can be created and used effectively by squadrons, hosts, etc. This has been key to the long life of IL2 with the occasional patches and new maps and objects. The emphasize here is on easy. The FMB in old IL2 was very intuitive and easy to learn which is imho not the case for RoF. 

I understand that the fmb of RoF allows for much more than what old IL2 was capable of but why not take the RoF fmb as a sort of expert mission builder and add a fmb based on what was there in old IL2? 

I agree.

The 3d view and 3d interface expecially makes IL2 mission building like a game in the game. You can build your mission almost totally within the scenery.

If I could choose I'd use an interface similar to IL2 with the features of ROF. 

I'd like to see the ceiling raised a kilometer or so for air to air MP servers.

That, and the stupid flak needs to go on the basic missions. Starting to really be annoying when you are familiarizing yourself with airplane performance or just looking at Stalingrad and marveling at the historical detail. Perhaps the sim will eventually have a training field back in the home country and away from enemy fire, but this is taking away from the ability for a player to get some basic practice in normal combat procedures - bombing, landings, etc.

@Victory: I think there will be much more added where you will find what you are looking for as soon as the game gets released. Let's consider us lucky that we can play the game already at alpha state before it even gets beta.

I understand the situation. WIP and all that. 

One mission without being shot at would be nice, even if they just add one on the edge of the map, where the gunners are out of ammunition, or are at least too drunk to hit anything. :)

Reading lots of bad reports but I experienced smooth as butter gameplay and no crashes at all.

I'm in Australia and was playing all weekend on US servers. I observed maybe 5 players lagging (teleporting forward and backward) over the course of 2 days. Each was a European player on a US server - so no surprise.

My ping was about 180-200 throughout. No idea what my FPS was but it was subjectively no worse than playing Rise Of Flight.

I was playing with high settings at 2250x1280 resolution on a single GTX670 ( as SLI is disabled :( ) so I can't fault the rendering. Other machine details are in the sig should you want to know for performance feedback.

I noticed two minor issues:

1. If I failed to check the SLI (which I thought was disabled anyway) checkbox on the launcher window the game black-screened and failed to even display the IL2 splash screen.

2. With my 3 screen setup (portrait mode) all the important preflight UI information (eg server player numbers) seems to fall exactly on the bezels (which I eliminate with a custom resolution to avoid stepping across the bezels).

All in all I was very impressed with the stability and standard of MP at such an early stage of development.

Well done.

Im on the West Coast of Australia and had 200+ pings but the game was fine, I actually shot your wing off Dave, you were asking afterwards what had happened, I tried to reply but I hadn't figured out how to use chat at the time, took a long range shot on you as you were in pursuit of a Lagg and must have got some lucky hits as your wing seperated.

Edited by III/JG11_Tiger

It's been fun playing against/with usernames from the forums.

About the FMB, they mentioned they're working on a version that will be simpler to use, but there are no details as yet. From memory this was announced about four weeks ago.

I had some great time playing online at the weekend. It was great too see initial problems with 64 players servers being fixed so fast , great work. I had a best performance on Expert Lite server, there was some stutter and freezes but overall it didn't ruin my fun. Flying in IL-2 and harassing german airfield was great , coming back from such mission and landing at my airfield gave my loads of satisfaction. So far I only managed it twice , second time with my plane heavily damaged , landed as three lags were taking off in opposite direction, I rolled slightly off the strip and watched them getting airborne , wonderful sight.

Can't wait for next weekend.

S.

It's been fun playing against/with usernames from the forums.

About the FMB, they mentioned they're working on a version that will be simpler to use, but there are no details as yet. From memory this was announced about four weeks ago.

That's the best news I've heard so far :)

Hope it comes off.

I had only a realativly short test, but overall it was mostly really good.

Not much problems connecting and also most of the things worked as expected. I was flying on EU Expert and EU expert light and Expert light was much better for performance.

I did however encounter heavy lag spikes on both servers along with massive stutters at some moments (almost like 1FPS for several seconds). This was usually close to the airflieds when I was just about to shoot at the enemy or there were explosions nearby or simmilar. Also I had the same a few times right after spawn immidiatly when I opened the throttle to speed up. It got back to normal FPS after some time - could be 10 seconds up to 45 seconds.

Also it helped if I tabed out and back in - however couldnt do that during dogfights. (specs are Win7 64 bit, I7 950, GTX580 and 8gb ram)

Another thing was that the hits on planes were recognised sometimes very late - with delays of up to 5 seconds or even more (meaning that 5 seconds after I stoped shooting the enemy exploded or the first parts started flying off...) This is simmilar to RoF when RoF has a very loaded server. Not sure how many hits acctually get registered in such cases as a few times I spammed many shots on the enemy plane and very little happened - even when clear hits into the important areas are visable on my side.

Otherwise it was great fun with the Lagg. Its not that bad - especially if the 109s fly with gun pods, however when hte 109 start to fly really smart and also use some teamwork there is nothing the Lagg can do. I did however manage to get 6 109 in one sortie (5 with guns, last one maneuver kill) and another 4 109 on my last sortie - with a nice landing at home field to end the night - I was using the 23 cannon though.

I did a bit of 109 as well - but tbh that is not really in good sport as its just so much better. Especially when flying without gunpods it is untouchable - and has enough ammo for multiple kills. I only switched there once the Laggs were overruning the German front field and there were very few 109s flying.

The Yak should mix it up nicely - really looking forward to that + hopefully some netcode adjustements (or at least recomendations for our equipement / conection speeds to keep it without stutters).

Only six in one sortie Peter?  You must be slipping m8. :lol:   I seem to remember the Devil flies a Spad.  Does the Devil now fly a LaGG? :salute:

Edited by arthursmedley

Very nice to read about the 24/7 access. I guess i'll have to try MP next week then.

I hope the Yak and Stalingrad map in MP is next. :biggrin:

We might already have 24/7 access.  I was flying very late last night.  Does anyone know if we still have access today?

Thanks for the heads up BSR. I have access to both single and MP right now.