BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 58

Hello Pilots!

As we stated last week, the key element of this early access session is multiplayer. We tried to do as much as we could to make this test successful and to let you not only feel involved in the project development, but also enjoy the process. Of course, multiplayer is different from the single player experience that you’ve already had because live players are just not like the bots.

On the one hand, players make mistakes and get distracted more often than AI. On the other hand, true aces are born in these battles and they can turn dogfights into some sort of deadly sport as if a real life was at stake. Kill or be killed! Well, you can become such a sportsman or join other pilots and find yourself in another role – it’s up to you. Anyway, the game modes are not yet complete, there’re only a few tips and helpers that can assist you. So you are very welcome to use your imagination for your entertainment.

We will open 4 servers. 2 of them will be hosted in the Americas, and 2 more will be placed in Europe. So, both main groups of players will be able to play with minimal latency (unfortunately we still can’t send packets faster than light speed). There will be a couple different realism settings used. Two of them (one in each zone) will have difficulty close to “Expert” level, and the other two will be “Normal”. Nevertheless we ask you not to judge this experience as a completed game, but only as a package of technologies and a sketch of what is yet to come. Max players per server will be set to 64.

Missions on all the servers that we have prepared are absolutely identical, only realism level varies. We’ll play on the Lapino airfield. There’ll be two sides of course: Luftwaffe and VVS. Each side will have two airfields. One of these two will be placed close to the imaginary front line and the second one will be located further from the epicenter. The first field will only offer spawn on the ground, so you’ll need to take off before you join the battle, while the second airfield will have an aerial spawn point 1000 meters above the ground.  There will be two planes on each airfield: Bf 109 F-4 and Ju-87 for Luftwaffe and LaGG-3 and IL-2 for VVS.

You'll be able to use all available weapon and field modifications, just like in single missions before. However, you'll find that gunner positions in IL-2 and Ju-87 cannot be taken by another player. This gameplay feature is currently being tested by our beta testers, and we hope it will be added to early access very soon. Meanwhile you'll need rely on yourself and on your AA gunner.

Obviously, fighters and assault planes can easily attack the nearest enemy’s airfield and prevent planes from taking off. However, in such scenario you’ll probably be shot down as many times as you spawn by enemy aircraft that are above waiting for you. So you should consider switching to the further base and take a plane from there where you’ll appear at a decent altitude giving you a chance to knock off the invaders. This should be the most efficient strategy. We expect the battles to have an interesting ebb and flow.

Also the map will have various ground objects, tanks, artillery, AA guns, etc. These are prototypes of future mission goals. Use all your weaponry to destroy them. The ground targets are set to re-spawn every few minutes. In the future, destroying enemy ground vehicles will become a separate mission goal and a sure way to prevail.

Our initial testing says that MP works as it should, however, anything can happen in this first MP session, so if something does not work properly or servers crash, please don’t get too discouraged and understand that we will look into it so we can improve future sessions.

The entire team hopes that everything will go smoothly. And we hope you will enjoy the first attempt at Multiplayer.

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

• Upvote 1

Awesome! And here's me with ten days off just starting!

I just wish I had even a modicum of flying ability. Online play is cruel, cruel place for me.

Am I the only one who thinks 4x64 players is not very much? I'm a little bit worried that there won't be room for all of us...

• Upvote 1

Ah well, a lot of re spawning coming up for me I think. Well done anyway guys, you continue to impress.

No MP Yak?

Well, I guess us VVS pilots will have our work cut out for us.

Am I the only one who thinks 4x64 players is not very much? I'm a little bit worried that there won't be room for all of us...

Exactly my thought :unsure:

good news, my MP slot is all yours though. I'm not a good flightsim combat player, I'm looking forward to QMB instead, to create missions with bots, all alone :lol:

• Upvote 1

good news, my MP slot is all yours though. I'm not a good flightsim combat player, I'm looking forward to QMB instead, to create missions with bots, all alone :lol:

Ditto here, SP only for me, really looking forward to the QMB. That is ok lot of guys that are into MP will have some good fun, plenty of other things I can do this weekend... :)

Probably not.. but I wouldn't worry about it.. 64 is plenty... and it is more than enough to get some rich sorties going..

I'm not the best pilot in the world, but you survive in MP through teamwork. IMHO playing online with other members of the community, using Teamspeak to call out them bandits and covering each other's 6 raises the enjoyment of these sims to a whole new level.

But each to their own I guess ;)

Edited by Fodder
  • Upvote 1

Hi, I have high hopes for you, by working with the ROF, hopefully with the BOS than superéis. 

Please simulation community needs a stable and future environment, I think it may be the BOS, but Will you need to develop more terrain maps in the future, luck, and thanks.

64 ppl on European  Expert MP server is not enough I bet  russian community alone will make it full. Is there a chance you guys add more servers if they get full ? Also is there any queue mechanism in place or you just need the luck to get the free slot ?

Its worst, 2x64,  64 expert mode and 64 normal mode for european server.

Anyway better than nothing, we will have to wait a little, its not a drama.

Thanks dev for the good news.

Don't forget guys, that a great many are waiting for QMB, not everyone will be on the multiplayer.

As a single player person myself [99%], I will probably venture over if I see a gap, and no doubt get my bottom handed to me on a silver platter.

:)

• Upvote 2

Hooray great news!

Expert server MP is the one feature I've been waiting for.

Fingers crossed we can get on to those 64 slots.

No MP Yak?

Well, I guess us VVS pilots will have our work cut out for us.

Glad to have an excuse for being blown out of the sky over and over again!

Will there be team number balance or can you select to join whatever side you want once you log in? As there's only Lagg-3 fighters on the VVS side they might not be the most, ah, popular choice without team number balance.

Edited by Tektolnes

As the Yak was a pre-release offer, due the not exisitng MP last week, no one needs to wonder the Yak didnt make it into the MP.

It is all about testing the MP in a crowded envirenment, not about joy of flying or enjoying the sim to the max - we are still in early access, no more no less.

So 4x64 means probably exactly what devs want to a achieve , crwoded servers as stress test.

• Upvote 1

Being exclusive MP players I and my mates found this as a major milestone, well done :salute: I share the concern about too few slots available..

Edited by LeLv8_Otto

I hate the respawn already 1000 meters, I prefer to start on the ground even when the landing ground is under attack.

Anyway, I cannot wait to test the MP!

Congratulations for your efforts to improve this sim in every aspect.

Nice to have MP released this week, but 64 players on the Lapino map is going to be rather...hectic, so you better use ninja skills to survive  :ph34r:

It's a shame that the Yak doesn't feature in MP this week, I guess the best tactic with the LaGG is to run around in packs and hope for the best... :rolleyes:

As primarily a multiplayer person, the idea of a coordinated 32 vs 32 dogfight gets me all hot and bothered

I do hope the servers fill up, that will stress the engine out so the devs can optimize prior to release.  Can we get a number of ground objects set on the server, please?

Also the map will have various ground objects, tanks, artillery, AA guns, etc. These are prototypes of future mission goals. Use all your weaponry to destroy them. The ground targets are set to re-spawn every few minutes

Edited by II./JG1_Britchot

Don't worry. I don't care much for multiplayer, so my slot is open.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think I'll give the MP beta a pass for this week-end, As good as I can potentially be in a LaGG, I'm just not into getting my butt shot down all week-end long without being given a real fighting chance (read: Yak). One-sided battles are simply not fun...

"easily attack the nearest enemy’s airfield and prevent planes from taking off. However, in such scenario you’ll probably be shot down as many times as you spawn by enemy aircraft that are above waiting for you."

And there you have my experience of multiplayer (generally speaking) in a nutshell. So here's another free slot for those worried that 4x64 isn't enough.

I'm just hoping that in this sim there will eventually be a fully fleshed out SP campaign. The AI are already enough to test my meagre (read non-existant) skills. After over 10 years playing flight sims I don't think that is going to change.

Good luck guys (especially anyone flying VVS....................... you'll need it) :salute:

Edited by Rivet
  • Upvote 2

Time to get humility lessons from our Luftwaffe  109 pilots whilst trying to blast the blazes out of their ground assets in the iL2 :) Any Information on what progress if any for coming up with a muti-play coop option please ?