Sign in to follow this  
jamison01

How many throttles are too many?

So, got a question for the community. I want to get into playing with full realism and I'm wondering how many bindable axis people use for engine controls in realistic mode? 

I've currently got a warthog hotas, along with pedals  I currently have the three axis on the throttle bound to throttle, rpm and fuel mix.

I've some extra buttons on the throttle that I could bind a few more engine controls to. But I've been eyeballing the Logitech throttle quadrant, as well as the ch products version of the same style. 

I guess you could say my question is this: how many throttle quadrants do I need? Should I get one or two Logitech quadrants or a single ch products quadrant. Do I need only 3 more axis or should I go for six? Anybody have any other suggestions? Between Logitech and ch, which it's the better quality. Any othersuggestions under 300$ would be appreciated. 

Thanks all!

I have been using the CH Throttle Quadrant in addition to my Warthog throttle for the extra axis and buttons.

Provides me more than enough.

If i had to reduce it to the Minimum i would go with 3. 1: Power engine 1 and 3 2: throttle Engine 2 3: Rpm for all Engines. With that you should be able to manage most planes.

In adition i have a twist knob for mixture and 2 for coolers. 

But it depends on what Planes you want to focus on. 

I'm currently using 2 x Saitek Throttle Quadrants; I set them up as follows Throttles 1-6 Left to Right:

Throttle 1 - Oil Cooler Shutter/ Inlet Cowl Shutter - Dual Function (Buttons 1 - Oil Cooler Step for specific Aircraft)

Throttle 2 - Water Cooler Shutter/ Outlet Cowl Shutter - Dual Function (Buttons 2 - Water Cooler Step - specific Aircraft like Bf110)

Throttle 3 - Mixture Control Axis (Buttons 3 - Supercharger Gear and Auto/Man Mode)

Throttle 4 - Propeller Control Axis (Buttons 4 - Prop Feathering and Prop Auto/Man Mode)

Throttle 5 - Engine #1

Throttle 6 - Engine #2

I got the same setup as dburne. Warthog Throttle plus CH Throttle Quad mounted on the left side of my Obutto. Every axis is used on planes like the P-47.

Throttle, Prop, Turbo, Mixture, Cowls, Oil Rads, Water Rads

You can never have enough! :)

I believe the P47 requires 7 different axes, so having that many available is reasonable. In terms of bindable axis-based controls there are a total of 9 I believe. My current setup is 6 axes on my Virpil throttle unit and 3 axes on a Saitek quadrant.

User GVL on the forum makes amazing custom joysticks. This is one device with I think 8 axes:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alonzo_LW said:

I believe the P47 requires 7 different axes, so having that many available is reasonable. In terms of bindable axis-based controls there are a total of 9 I believe. My current setup is 6 axes on my Virpil throttle unit and 3 axes on a Saitek quadrant.

User GVL on the forum makes amazing custom joysticks. This is one device with I think 8 axes:

Yes, if one wants to go "full analog", the P-47 requires 7 axes. My controller that GVL224 made has only 6 lever axes (plus one thumbwheel on the throttle for gunsight range), so I use the rocker switch on the throttle for adjusting the turbo.

Edited by LukeFF

If necessary, it is possible to install two controllers in one unit, there will be 16 axes.

• Thanks 1

@Alonzo

Is there a limit in number of axes computer can handle/bind? As I already have 8 bound (yaw, wheel brakes) on pedals, 3 (prop pitch, mixture, throttle) on throttle, 2 (pitch, roll) on the stick), and I feel the need for more...

On 5/22/2019 at 3:47 PM, Mikoyan74 said:

I'm currently using 2 x Saitek Throttle Quadrants; I set them up as follows Throttles 1-6 Left to Right:

Throttle 1 - Oil Cooler Shutter/ Inlet Cowl Shutter - Dual Function (Buttons 1 - Oil Cooler Step for specific Aircraft)

Throttle 2 - Water Cooler Shutter/ Outlet Cowl Shutter - Dual Function (Buttons 2 - Water Cooler Step - specific Aircraft like Bf110)

Throttle 3 - Mixture Control Axis (Buttons 3 - Supercharger Gear and Auto/Man Mode)

Throttle 4 - Propeller Control Axis (Buttons 4 - Prop Feathering and Prop Auto/Man Mode)

Throttle 5 - Engine #1

Throttle 6 - Engine #2

I have the T16000m and throttle, I also found i needed a bit more.

I picked up two of the Logitech quadrants and a vacum formed box to mount them diagonally.

Similar to Mikoyan74 here:

Throttle 1 - Water Cooler Shutter/ Outlet Cowl Shutter - Dual Function (Buttons  - Water Cooler Step - specific Aircraft like Bf110)

Throttle 2 - Oil Cooler Shutter/ Inlet Cowl Shutter - Dual Function (Buttons  - Oil Cooler Step for specific Aircraft)

Throttle 3 - Engine #1 (Buttons - Supercharger gear up and down)

Throttle 4 - Engine #2 (buttons - Turbo/boost cut out)

Throttle 5 - RPM/Propellor pitch Control Axis (Buttons  - Nav / Cockpit lights)

Throttle 6 - Mixture Control Axis (Buttons  - Landing lights /can't remember )

I have post it's on my mount because i keep forgetting what i've set the buttons too..

19 hours ago, TrueGrey said:

@Alonzo

Is there a limit in number of axes computer can handle/bind? As I already have 8 bound (yaw, wheel brakes) on pedals, 3 (prop pitch, mixture, throttle) on throttle, 2 (pitch, roll) on the stick), and I feel the need for more...

I think the only limit is 8 axes per device. You have 8 axes across 3 devices, you can add more devices for more axes no problem. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I think the only limit is 8 axes per device. You have 8 axes across 3 devices, you can add more devices for more axes no problem. 

Yes, that's how it is. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, that's how it is. 

My wallet started to shiver after reading this.

• Haha 1

Hi guys,

I also have the T16000m and been thinking about getting two quadrants.

Is it possible to configurate axis of the quadrants for the throttles of two engine planes, while using the T16000m for single engine planes. Without changing configurations between flights?

thx in advance

3 hours ago, Grim said:

Hi guys,

I also have the T16000m and been thinking about getting two quadrants.

Is it possible to configurate axis of the quadrants for the throttles of two engine planes, while using the T16000m for single engine planes. Without changing configurations between flights?

thx in advance

Absolutely yes, this is the setup I have currently.

I have my regular T16000M FCS throttle set as general throttle and i can fly single or twin engines on this single throttle should I wish (flew the 262 with it recently)
Alternately by setting lever 3 and 4 as throttle 1 and throttle 2 i can control them independantly.

Perfect!

Thank you very much!