Sign in to follow this  
II/JG11ATLAN

PIMAX now open source

just noticed on YT SWEVIVER is now working as Community Relation Manager Europe exclusivly for PIMAX.

and PIMAX Hardware and Software is now open source.

what it means to us? and IL2?

glad to hear your comments about These toppics!

I would like to try Pimax, i wish they don't have any warehouse in Europe so we need to wait for delivery from China.

I am in the same situation circle beginning break even point as usual as  like before in the beginning  ?!? when I pass from the HTC Vive to te HTC Vive PRO , but now just the same with the Pimax 8K . In the DED Multiplayer server. 

The definitely solution was the new PC Chip Intel i9 9900k 5.0 GHz Max frequency in this case or the future Q42019 Intel  i9 10900k of 5.4 GHz Turbo bost overlock constantly 6.2 GHz max frequency 10nm & The Nvidia Graphic card in this case the RTX 2080 TI  , futuristic RTX 3080 TI in that case .

Waiting for the Pimax 5K+ XR but how I am enchanted with the 8k I would prefer the futuristic closed preorder of the Pimax 8K+X coming soon so we are with the same dilemma PC’s maximum performance.

I have been for more that one Year in most Multiplayer escenarios with the HTC VIVE PRO running perfectly without any problem most time in DED server Multiplayer 

But the Pimax 8k is an authentic Beast , the best Beast VR since my point of view.

Posted (edited)

I was ready to shoot for the Reverb but if Pimax releases an 8KX with real 2*4K (no upsampling), me and this OCed golden sample RTX2080ti will be most happy.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Yeah, the combination of 8KX, FFR and 80Hz will be perfect for good performance, best visuals and large FOV.

With my Pimax5K+ I currently use Pitool quality=1.0 and SteamVR_SS=70%, FOV Normal and 72Hz mode. And balanced settings (the sets of settings like in the benchmark).

With this I am able to have 72fps about 90% of the time on a mission. In heavy combat it goes to 50-60 fps but still playable. 

With a 1080Ti I am still not able to enjoy FFR.  😞

• Upvote 1

But that's already a very nice headset. I am tired of cranking my neck too much watching six in the classical headsets with 110° FOV. I am really curious about trying a Pimax for once, but there seems to be no store who'd demo it. Sad!

Your combination there sounds very very well indeed. One question remains though, if you're playing on Balanced - aren't the clouds bugged/blocky then? Their quality is affected by the "Balanced" setting so badly (even though they have an independent selector!), that the lowest setting I can go to is "High".

4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Yeah, the combination of 8KX, FFR and 80Hz will be perfect for good performance, best visuals and large FOV.

With my Pimax5K+ I currently use Pitool quality=1.0 and SteamVR_SS=70%, FOV Normal and 72Hz mode. And balanced settings (the sets of settings like in the benchmark).

With this I am able to have 72fps about 90% of the time on a mission. In heavy combat it goes to 50-60 fps but still playable. 

With a 1080Ti I am still not able to enjoy FFR.  😞

Chili, have you created a review on the Pimax since you have it? I don't remember reading it but maybe I just missed it. I would be quite interested in your overall opinion.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes I'd be interested as well. Especially on a few points in comparison to the other HMD you used:

Lenses, how big is their sweet spot?

Is there really a performance problem due to parallel projection?

Can you look at your six easier - to what °degree must your nose be, so you can take a look at what is behind you?

Posted (edited)

Just ordered the Pimax%K plus from Amazon during a "Flash Sale" && got a real price break.It is scheduled to arrive about the 29th.Any tips to get the best out of it? I will be comparing it to the Oculus Rift S which is arriving about the same time...One of them will replace my current Ocuus rift ...one of them will be going back , but I want to give both a air shake....

Edited by Blitzen
added info

I would consider a thicker face pad such as this https://www.amazon.com/KIWI-design-Cover-Cushion-Replacement/dp/B06XTBZBFN/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_8_sspa?keywords=kiwi+cover+for+vive&qid=1558459752&s=gateway&sr=8-8-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1 to be essential for the Pimax 5k+.  The stock face foam is just too thin for most people.  That, and a GTX1080 or better.

12 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

With a 1080Ti I am still not able to enjoy FFR

It crashes when playing online, so maybe you are not missing much, if that's where you spend your time.

6 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

There's a super clear spot that's not very big, then a bigger zone which is clear. I still need to move my head to look down at the instruments to be able to read the labels, if that can give you an idea. Looking behind me is now possible without turning my swivel chair much. The head and the eyes do most of the work. Note that you can use the side of the lenses to check for the presence of a plane behind you. Identification will likely require you to turn your body or your plane a bit. It's still not owl-vision, but it's rather in line with what you would expect in reality.

Overall we could do with better performance, you get clarity gains up to resolution with 3000 lines, and one can't realistically use that yet. I don't think that removing the need for parallel projection would do it by itself, but I think it's worth looking into for the devs.

Can you look at your six easier - to what °degree must your nose be, so you can take a look at what is behind you?

I haven't measured, but I would say turn body 45, head 90 and that does it. 135 degrees. Biggest problem for me is that I don't have light houses, so on most planes the back of the virtual seat and head rest are in the way.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

One question remains though, if you're playing on Balanced - aren't the clouds bugged/blocky then? Their quality is affected by the "Balanced" setting so badly (even though they have an independent selector!), that the lowest setting I can go to is "High"

Yes, with Balanced the clouds are really really bad, it is like being in a minecraft world. 

Ideally the Devs could de-couple the clouds from the Low-Balanced-High-Ultra settings, but currently they go all together.

One technique that Unity is using is called Level of Detail (Level of Detail). it adjusts the number of segments of an object depending on their distance. So an object (ie a plane, a tank, a house) can have 6 or 7 definitions (or LODs) with more or less segments, so drawing the scene can save time by reducing the total number of segments. 

I think that the Low-Balanced-High-Ultra settings do that but applying that to all objects of the scene, independently of their distance, but not sure (I don´t know what devs do).

Ideally a game could combine both things, the LOD technique for all the Low-Balanced-High-Ultra settings.

19 hours ago, HunDread said:

Chili, have you created a review on the Pimax since you have it? I don't remember reading it but maybe I just missed it. I would be quite interested in your overall opinion.

Yes, the info is bit spreaded in several threads, but here are the links:

MAIN THREAD:

First arrival:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31215-pimax-8k-5k-vr-headsets-coming-to-kickstarter-this-month/?do=findComment&comment=715069

First problems:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31215-pimax-8k-5k-vr-headsets-coming-to-kickstarter-this-month/?do=findComment&comment=716111

First solutions thanks to Pimax support team:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31215-pimax-8k-5k-vr-headsets-coming-to-kickstarter-this-month/?do=findComment&comment=716956

New face mask:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31215-pimax-8k-5k-vr-headsets-coming-to-kickstarter-this-month/?do=findComment&comment=719474

new problems:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31215-pimax-8k-5k-vr-headsets-coming-to-kickstarter-this-month/?do=findComment&comment=720798

new solutions:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31215-pimax-8k-5k-vr-headsets-coming-to-kickstarter-this-month/?do=findComment&comment=721207

PICTURE QUALITY THREAD:

Some experiments with pictures with RQ and SS:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/42316-pimax-5k-rendering-quality-and-ss-for-spot-and-id-sample-pictures/

PIMAX vs RIFT THREAD:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/42343-pimax5k-vs-oculus-rift-spot-id-gauges-through-lens/

BENCHMARK THREAD:

Some testing with benchmark and different SS:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline-for-il-2-v3010/page/26/

Currently I am happy with it. The "worst thing" is the non integrated audio.

Probably with a CPU at 5.2Hz and a 2080Ti I could squeeze a bit more, but I will prefer to wait one year to see new GPUs/CPUs.

I have pre-ordered the Index, so I will be able to see how much FOV dependent I am already.

18 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

- Sweet spot is big, like the whole view of a Rift. I really know what is a small sweet spot when I had the terrible VivePro.

- I don´t think there is a penalty for PP. I think it is because it run in another process in another core. It is not a task done by IL-2.

- Check six: Yes, for sure.  With Normal FOV, if you turn your head 90 degrees you can see the rear wing in an Spitfire. Then if you turn a little bit more your body and head (I use fixed playseat seat) you can check six. A bigger FOV is a good thing for situational awareness, you can track planes around much easier. 

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, coconut said:

if that's where you spend your time

Thanks, I play SP 99.9% of the time. 

The other 0.1% is because last Sunday, for first time ever I tried "wings of liberty" online server (just curiosity and test performance). I was shutted down twice and one time I crash myself in the ground after a loop, definitely I am still too bad for playing online... :unsure:

7 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Thanks, I play SP 99.9% of the time. 

The other 0.1% is because last Sunday, for first time ever I tried "wings of liberty" online server (just curiosity and test performance). I was shutted down twice and one time I crash myself in the ground after a loop, definitely I am still too bad for playing online... :unsure:

I'm bad too. If you want to have a bit of fun but not worry about it too much, try Berloga server. Instant action so when you get shot down you don't feel like you've wasted your time. I'm very bad, so any time I actually get hits on someone it's a massive achievement. Because there are so many enemies on Berloga in one spot, you don't need to feel bad when you get shot down, basically no-one can track that many enemies.

(I'm sure some people are going to disagree and use Berloga more seriously, but I use it for practice and getting shot down teaches you stuff each time).

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 6:17 PM, zwarteeend said:

I would like to try Pimax, i wish they don't have any warehouse in Europe so we need to wait for delivery from China.

Actually, Pimax currently dispatches from the UK for EU customers but they are setting up another facility on the EU mainland.  Do not dispare and as an 8K user - it is well worth it.

Posted (edited)

Test again Pimax 8k video settings at 80% FOV normal 170° in DED Multiplayer server ( Russian with love ) and just after 1 minutes disconnects ; 

otherwise with HTC VIVE PRO For  hours days without any problem no disconnections , more than 1 year and a half  without any problem and disconnection perfect excellent.

I think is about a problem with compatibility and IL2 has not compatibility support Pimax otherwise yes with Oculus , HTC & Samsung. 

Waiting for HTC VIVE Cosmos hope will announce in specifications a FOV of 200° Like pimax  or minimum 170° But . ( IL2 update next will be compatible and will support Pimax as well .) 

Edited by RAY-EU

10 hours ago, RAY-EU said:

Test again Pimax 8k video settings at 80% FOV normal 170° in DED Multiplayer server ( Russian with love ) and just after 1 minutes disconnects ; 

otherwise with HTC VIVE PRO For  hours days without any problem no disconnections , more than 1 year and a half  without any problem and disconnection perfect excellent.

I think is about a problem with compatibility and IL2 has not compatibility support Pimax otherwise yes with Oculus , HTC & Samsung. 

Waiting for HTC VIVE Cosmos hope will announce in specifications a FOV of 200° Like pimax  or minimum 170° But . ( IL2 update next will be compatible and will support Pimax as well .) 

I played multiple sessions of 2 hours in mutliplayer with my 5K+ without problem. It was on a user campaign and crimea map.

But I played in "low" FoV because I do not like the distorsions at the edge of the FoV, where you have the canopy jamb.

An interesting post about FoV and PP is here : https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/closer-look-at-pimax-parallel-projection/20510

Posted (edited)

Ok thanks, that recommended Fenris successfully about 2 years ago So thanks I  will try Multiplayer something like Wings of liberty or Knights of the air ... and report test what happens later on . 

it happened me also in 2018 I can play Multiplayer in those scenarios but not in DED server Multiplayer with Russsia ( with love ) where you can see marks red and blue icons of every plane about distance...  nowadays with the HTC VIVE and VIVE PRO .

http://72ag-ded.su:8080/es/pilot/478/RAYEU/?tour=45

Mother Board: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero ,

Processor: Intel Core i9 9900k 5.00 GHz  8 cores , Overclocket constantly from 5.00 GHz  .

1 SSD Samsung970 Pro M.2 NVME 1TB , Memory  RAM HyperX Predator DDR4 3200Mhz 32GB(4x8)XMP

Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO- Liquid refrigeration Cooler .

1 Graphic Card nvidia RTX 2080 TITAN 1.77 GHz of GPU constantly .

Fiber Optic High Speed Movistar +

+1 GHz per second of upcoming arround 2 ms of Ping transfer about data 40 ms ping in Il2  Multiplayer DED ,

Edited by RAY-EU

Buenos días Ray,

disconnections to a game server are never caused by a VR headset. It was just a coincidence, there is no causality between the choice of headset and your connectivity.

That said, FFR is compatible to basically any game I have tested so far - but not IL-2. At the moment, the game crashes when using FFR. I don't believe that may change with the Cosmos or any other headset, as it looks like an issue of IL-2.

Just keep it off for the time being. I have posted stable settings to go with that would also fit your monstrous PC, you can click on the link in my signature. 😀👍

Posted (edited)

That´s right! Thanks Fenris , is about a technical  compatibility right now at this moment with IL2 and Pimax . Is that correct ?  Later on I am trying .

I was from 2017-2018 for more than half a year with the HTC VIVE and when I bought and try HTC VIVE PRO 2018 spring and suddenly were not working the HTC VIVE PR  and neither HTC VIVE for DED Multiplayer online server Russia ( with love ) ?’’?

Thanks lefuneste I will try low FOV , but is les video settings of steam setup Than the 80% ? No .

. But thank you Fenris recommendet to try with Multiplayers like Total air war or wings of liberty more specialized with joysticks with the icon and runs much better and the perfectly later on DED server Multiplayer from Russia ( with love ) . In 2018 before  summer runs perfectly with the HTC VIVE PRO right now without any problem. Right now today  they are still working on this Multiplayer server for the incorporation of the ME 262 about technical developments and if you actually access at the DED server from Russia with ... you will fin till the BOkuban planes and not from the Battle or Operation of Bondemplatte 

Edited by RAY-EU

It wasn't your Vive Pro that disconnected you from the DED server mate. The only incompatibility IL2 has is for Fixed Foveated Rendering - it does not support that right now. It needs to get turnt off.

Furthermore, if you switch headsets, it's always good to uninstall SteamVR, remove all traces of it, then reinstall it. :)

Good luck!