chiliwili69

Pimax 5K+: Rendering Quality and SS for Spot and ID (sample pictures)

With the arrival of the Pimax5K+ we have a new parameter to play with. It is the "Rendering Quality" which is configurable in the PiTool software from Pimax. 

The default value is 1.0, but with a slider bar it can be set at 0.5, 0.75, 1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 and 2.0.

Initially one could think that it is a direct multiplier of the SteamVR SuperSampling (SS) value that also need to be adjusted in the SteamVR settings.

I made some calcs to understand how this Rendering Quality affects to the total rendered pixels which is what it matters for the load of the GPU.

The calcs are done in the "SS per device" tab of this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k

727360720_Pimax5KSSratios.thumb.png.4f89a973feb8f4be686d80244201dc9f.png

I have just tested RQ=1, RQ=1.25 and RQ=1.5 and put SteamVR at 100% and read the horizontal and vertical pixels values reported by SteamVR. I put them in the green cells.

In the yellow cells I have just divided the pixels with RQ=1.25 or RQ=1.5 by the pixels with RQ=1.

So, the RQ just multiply the pixels of every axis, not the total number of pixels. It is equivalent to Pixel Density used in the Oculus tray tool/Oculus debug tool. Just another criteria diferent from the one followed by Steam_VR SS which multiply the total number of pixels.

Once I understood how this RQ and Steam_VR SS operate, I then conducted a series of tests with some Spot and ID patterns (saved as short recorded tracks).

I used a compact camera with 14Mpixels and make pictures in the left eye of the Pimax5K+.

I wanted to understand if it is better to touch RQ or touch SS for the same number of pixels. Since my card supports relatively well loads of 17 millions of pixels, then I conducted three tests with RQ equal to 1.5, 1.25 and 1, and at the same time used SS equal to 30%, 42% and 66% respectively.

I also run a fourth test with RQ=1 and SS=100%  (25 million pixels!) just to check how the ID is improved and the the spot is degraded.

This image sumarizes the tests:

Pimax_Q_and_SS_tests.thumb.png.f04e5c9d7b094539c6f21041a39c7252.png

Conclusion:

For the three first columns, it doesn´t matter to use RQ or SteamVR SS. The results are basically the same (the very small differences are due to quality of the picture taken). Perhaps the Q=1.5&SS30% is a bit better for spot, but very subtle.

For the fourth column, it doesn´t improve spot (as expected) but improves ID a bit. In any case, my GPU will not move those 25million pixels at 90fps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

An observation: The 25M pixels setting affects level-of-details, only the last image shows the propellers of the Pe2.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:18 PM, chiliwili69 said:

my GPU will not move those 25million pixels at 90fps.

I have a 1080ti as well, except with a 8700k 5.2ghz CPU.  

What config did you end up on? If not 25m pixels, then what is your baseline for 80-90fps?

Chiliwili69, what FOV are you testing in your Pimax?  I found that Wide FOV in PiTools is bugged because it ignore your SS and Render Quality settings.  It looks like .75 render quality is locked at wide FOV.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, moosya said:

What config did you end up on? If not 25m pixels, then what is your baseline for 80-90fps?

I am only using Normal FOV for now. Installed fpsVR app to see in realtime the frametimes of both CPU and GPU and know who is the guilty guy.

At the moment I play with 66% SS and the same settings than the benchmark.

The nice FOV and the better clarity gives a new level to the game. I am now re-trying every plane as the first time.

A bigger FOV is very good since I can follow the planes around me. It also a nice surprise to see my own seat (placed at the same place the the physical one) when I turn my head just 90 degrees.

10 hours ago, ICDP said:

Chiliwili69, what FOV are you testing in your Pimax?  I found that Wide FOV in PiTools is bugged because it ignore your SS and Render Quality settings.  It looks like .75 render quality is locked at wide FOV.

So far I only used Normal FOV. I am still testing everything.

Good to know that. Next thing will be to test other FOVs.

• Upvote 1

How is the scale compared to the Rift?

I found the Rift scale perfect, the Vive Pro was like 90% scale and the Odyssey + its like 95% 

I found the scale similar to the Rift. When I took the pictures with the camera they also had the same size of the objects.

I also found that with the Pimax you need to carefully put the headset at the right position to have a good clarity and no distortion.

5 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I found the scale similar to the Rift. When I took the pictures with the camera they also had the same size of the objects.

I also found that with the Pimax you need to carefully put the headset at the right position to have a good clarity and no distortion.

Thanks, looking forward to getting mine.

Yeah, vertical placement on ones face is important.  It sits higher than many would think.

Using the 8K and still playing with settings to work with my under powered machine.

It's a buzz though except flying up against Pe2 bombers and getting shredded.  Without rudder pedals, side attacks are the only option.

I think next week we will see PiTool with Brainwarp as part of it.  Should help us with lower spec systems.

Awesome pics Chiliwili. :) And that's why i run with zero SS, I just don't feel any visual need to have it (eg, the plane's image beyond one hundred virtual meters is crap with or without SS, lol).

That's with my Rift I should add.

Ok ...two months later. I am thrilled with FoV with Pimax 5K , but struggling a bit balancing clarity & FPS.Does anyone have  pretty good settings that i should try that involve the Pitool settings, the Steam VR settings ( I know I can set them both , turn them off & start game & somehow their interface should/might work together...right? ) the data/startup cfg settings , Nvidia settings,& finally 'In Game " settings. In most cases I've tried to use the advice in various postings found here....and hopefully in the correct sequence. Right now ,I have a sort of hit and miss going on after various starts for game play.Sometimes at game play I have decent 40-50 FPS & wonderful clarity, then other times after turning off game & checking to see if Pitool settings have changed ( they sometimes do all on their own) I get decent clarity , but a drop to under 20 FPS. Most of the time I get something in between with a slight shimmer of objects 9 yes "Bloom " is off ) and 20-30 FPS. As you can imagine this is pretty frustrating. I'm sold on the Pimax but getting to work at its potential is hard work.

xxx.gif