FlyingNutcase

Mission fails to load when a vehicle or ship is placed

Hi Chaps,

I'm just starting to have a dabble in the Mission Editor and an unexpected situation has arisen. I can set up my plane to fly ok but if I add say AAA or a ship the missions fails to load. They're Linked Entities with Country set. Anything obvious here or should I post the mission in the hope some kind soul can help out? 🙂

Thx.

Posted (edited)

It could be a few different things, but most likely the starting plane is somehow in the ground. Check the plane's 'Y' axis, and try again or post the mission here for us to look into. (Yes, I read that you can fly out okay without ships or AAA.)

image.png.6a13e86bcc0bb483d71fbf42ca8d979b.png

Edited by ACG_Sketch

Offer accepted!

This is the simplest of missions, attached - just a player plane and a truck.

The problem: Fails to  load via Missions option in the game. It works fine when there is no truck (same situation with other vehicles and ships).

I've tried it with an air start with the same result.

It'll sure be interesting to find out what's going on. Hopefully something stupidly simple. 

Thank you!

FN Not Loading.zip

Posted (edited)

I got "Error reading mission file" when I tried to open the mission in the editor. To fix that problem, do the following:

1. Open the editor.

2. In the Tools menu, click on Resave All Missions in Folder.

The Browse for Folder dialog appears.

3. Navigate to the folder containing your mission and click the OK button.

Also, if you save a mission with a new file name and you cannot find it in the "Missions" list in-game, see "Cannot Find a Mission in the IL-2 Sturmovik Singleplayer Missions List", on pg. 183 of the editor manual.

Edited by JimTM

hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply! (it's your Mission Editor & Multiplayer Server Manual which has finally got me to "get", as of yesterday, how mission building works in BOS).

Here's the mission after following your instructions above. As previously it loads in the editor but fails in-game.

FN Not Loading (Resaved).zip

29 minutes ago, FlyingNutcase said:

hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply! (it's your Mission Editor & Multiplayer Server Manual which has finally got me to "get", as of yesterday, how mission building works in BOS).

Here's the mission after following your instructions above. As previously it loads in the editor but fails in-game.

FN Not Loading (Resaved).zip 3.46 kB · 0 downloads

The second mission that you attached does not load in the editor either. Perhaps you attached the wrong one. Regardless, once you have a mission that will load in the editor, do the following (from pg. 183, 4th bullet point):

1. Close IL-2 Sturmovik and the Mission Editor.
2. In your games folder, under the data subfolder, delete the files ctreecache.eng and mtreecache.eng.
Important! Be careful not to delete other IL-2 Sturmovik files.

The cache files are rebuilt when you start IL-2 Sturmovik.

Then, try the mission in the game again.

Salutations,

You needed to add some mission mcu commands. You needed to add a takeoff command, a begin mission command and a navigation Point for your craft to fly to.

Your modified mission attached below. Please check it out.

I highly recommend you obtain and go through Pranksters Mission Building Guide step by step. It will teach you the basics of the mission editors capabilities.

FN Not Loading.zip

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

You needed to add some mission mcu commands. You needed to add a takeoff command, a begin mission command and a navigation Point for your craft to fly to.

I highly recommend you obtain and go through Pranksters Mission Building Guide step by step. It will teach you the basics of the mission editors capabilities.

FN Not Loading.zip 4.27 kB · 0 downloads

Lol, I didn't think about needing any MCU's for such a simple mission with no objects doing anything and a player only aircraft. Thank you both, looking forward to progressing from here. 🙂

Edited by FlyingNutcase

I'm pretty much lost for words here Sketch. Damn dude, that was so awesome of you; you just made a top-knotch intro vid to help a beginner - and I learned heaps by the way. 

And thx Jim & Thad too. It was a bit of an ignominious start but I look forward to getting back to the new IL2 consistently and taming that beastly mission editor, to some degree.

S~

• Thanks 1

Glad to have helped. I recommend reading either Prangster's or JimTM's guide. (I personally prefer Jim's, but that's just me.)

If you have questions, let us know here or pm me. Hopefully, we can help you out.

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 7:51 AM, Thad said:

Salutations,

FN Not Loading.zip 4.27 kB · 1 download

I actually overlooked that you had attached a modified mission. Thank you for taking the time to do that - I'll check it out after work. :- ) It's so cool how welcoming you guys are to a noob. [thumbs up]

Edited by FlyingNutcase