Sign in to follow this  
sdm109rm

Removing Select Trees from the Terrain

So I'm  just learning the functions of the mission editor.   I find a Map I want to use and the season is Winter.  There is what looks to be a dirt road leading up to a river.  I found the very large White Bridge and added it to the terrain, as it was the only single component that spanned the river.   The problem was, the road leading to the river has trees in the way.  I placed the bridge and drove up it, bt the trees in the road stick through the bridge in the middle of the up ramp and if you hit them they stop you.

Does anyone know how to delete single, or a select few trees out of the terrain ?  It is the same on both ends of the bridgeBridgeObstruction.thumb.png.c271c2bf02ab9d37a06f2ea51180deb6.png

Posted (edited)

As I understand it, you can not modify the terrain in any way. You can be slightly sneaky though, and use buildings to block trees.

image.png.6ef9eb129414be4cb13a6fbf08140c2a.png

BEFORE ^^^^

image.png.576194ae8c75214c652869fff2f023b8.png

AFTER ^^^^

Edited by ACG_Sketch

That covers the Trees,  but if you try to put that at the edge of the river  you can't make a path through.  Where I selected to put that bridge has a road all the way up to the trees but no way for a tank to easily navigate when considering the path finding current state for AI.  I appreciate the idea to use buildings  to cover them but how would you connect a bridge ramp to the SW end of that ?

Posted (edited)

In winter, the vehicles can cross the river anywhere (I believe). Use any formation other than onRoad and they should cross the river.

Edited by ACG_Sketch

Quite often, the devs will have something under development, and it sneaks its way into a release.  Am pretty sure that is what this suspension bridge is.  I didn't even know it existed till you put up the pic.  was surprised you could drive on it.

Bridges are a pita.  Would be great if someone would do up a summary of all the pieces we have, and what fits with what.   If I am stuck on a bridge, I sometimes make sure I know where I am on the map, then do a quick mission on the same map,  and see if there is already a bridge there, and then look at the .gen misison quick mission built to see how it was made.

In your case, you are going to need a rampup bridge section, then figure out (trial and error for me), what section lines up next, and then figure out what spans to use.  Like i said, pita.

• Like 1

Or use illusionist tricks....

Have the convoy get near the bridge via a waypoint MCU,

Once they hit that waypoint mcu, delete the trucks and then,

Magically enable a new set of trucks on the other side....

On 4/29/2019 at 10:16 PM, ACG_Sketch said:

In winter, the vehicles can cross the river anywhere (I believe). Use any formation other than onRoad and they should cross the river.

I can confirm that vehicles will fall through the ice of rivers. Basically, it is water colored white to look like snow. 

WWSitttingDuck, I saw that white bridge and  tried to use it because it was a winter terrain, and it was one piece that actually spanned the river,  the only 1 piece to do that.   I  saw the bridge ramps, but unfortunately they are a summer terrain color.

I'm looking more toward not using bridges and way-points and formations for the AI to have to tackle, just open terrain/towns.  I made a mission,  Player in a tiger, 2 other tigers as AI  used a formation command  on road column.   I found that the way-keeping for the 2 AI tigers was horrible trying to follow my lead.   My next evolution, I decided to make the 2 AI tanks their own formation On Road-column.  We all used similar way-points and I found that the AI did alot better at not driving into the river when they were not following me.  I put alot of work into the mission   had a few Stugs and PZIV's  guarding a column of trucks.   I had  4 formations of enemy tanks that would converge on the town using Prox's.  I decided to put 2 machine guns in the edge of town after the bridge along with a few AT guns and some tanks.   All set !

I cross the bridge in the front,   AT guns and tanks are hitting me,  I can't hit them, because unlike the AI I am not able to fire through the trees.   The 2 AI tigers behind me take out the AT guns, and the tanks, through trees no less,  I continue to move , just get to edge of downramp,  MG hits my main gun scope, dead center, bullet hole and cracked glass, useless !  First AI tiger  tries to crawl a girder, and is up at a 45 degree angle.  Supply column with tanks and trucks coming up all stop on the road, because they can't pass.

Now I've run this mission a few times,  and  maybe 50%   both AI tigers make it across and proceed to the waypoints.   The supply column has never had an issue with the bridge.  It makes me believe that crossing a bridge under fire makes the path finding mess up because of routine the AI runs when under fire(evasive maneuvers) ?   That may be  more of a representation of reality, that alot of bridge crossings fail, but it actually makes for a bad mission experience as it is right from the jump.

I am still working out the different commands and functions but the game does seem to have alot of potential.   If the pathfinding and the Cover are fixed it will be good.  Having AI laser targeting through trees, with a random # assigned to miss, and you can't return fire is bad.