Sublime

Yak7B - My Love Affair and Info requested

Sooo Im in love. With another plane.  The Yak.

I read about the background... Does anyone have the detauled story about whose idea it was to turn a trainer into a fighter - how the program went etc?

I mean seriously this is probably one of the coolest examples Ive heard of where some factory higher ups toyed with their kick ass trainers and made fighters that at least in my limited IL2 experience "feel" asdeadly to me as an LA5 F.. At least in my hands. And perhaps I may even be better in the Yak because its armament and its more a turn dogfighter. boom and zoom has never been my forte.

The Russian aircraft are just fun - every one of them. Requiring a bit more attention to the engine, they’re also a bit more rewarding to fly and fight in for me than most German aircraft.

Hard to beat any of the Yaks for fun factor in Russia frankly - unless it’s an IL2...or the Rata. :)

That’s coming from someone who isn’t even a huge fan of the Russian front.

I do admire what those Russian engineers did and how they did it. The contrast in design philosophy is interesting to say the least.

Wikipedia has pretty much the whole story. If I could add anything or paraphrase I would say this.

The Yak-7 shouldn't be understood as a trainer aircraft turned into a fighter. You need to go back to the original I-26 prototype by Yakolev which was designed as a new-generation fighter for the Soviet fighter force. The I-26 prototype evolved into the Yak-1 and Yak-7. The Yak-7 had several design alternations made to make it easier for trainee's to fly it but that quickly morphed into its own fighter line produced at different factories. There's a divergence from the original I-26 design and then something of a convergence around the Yak-1B and Yak-9.

Our Yak-7B Series 36 is a very late series Yak-7 right before the point where they began to install bubble canopies and then start calling it a Yak-9.

• Like 1

Thanks all

Ya for allied planes the Yak 7B seems to be my deadliest ride.  LA5F is close but.. No...

I like it automatically because it is a little bit ugly and tends to get ignored.

Unlike my gorgeous, charismatic self...

• Haha 4

On 4/9/2019 at 3:24 AM, EAF19_Marsh said:

I like it automatically because it is a little bit ugly and tends to get ignored.

Unlike my gorgeous, charismatic self...

We can't all be pretty. I just settle for being a great pilot!
*checks my stats*
Scratch that, I settle for being a mediocre pilot!

As for the Yak-7b, I like it, its a good ride, easy to fly, stable, good handling, good armament, good visibility. It lacks a bit in raw performance but that's the way it goes. It really seems to have no vices as an aircraft, except maybe a tendency to overheat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

It lacks a bit in raw performance

Not really when compared to the Yak-1b.  Almost identical speeds at all altitudes,  exactly the same 'best turn' rate but does it at 310kph instead of 270kph.  Almost identical climb to 3000m then only 0.7m/s slower up to 6000m (and who fights a Yak that high anyway?).   The only significant differences are the canopies and the guns and, personally,   I think the guns are worth losing  the bubble canopy for as the 7bs rear view is still extremely good compared to most other VVS aircraft.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

All day. I still want the 1b for my collection and also cuz its a bit weird not being able to fly half the planes in my squadrons (never seems to be only 7Bs) but its not a huge deal.  Like the LA5. I still want an FN but its not a huge deal for me like Bodenplatte or something..

The bubble canopy would be nice but I agree Id rather the extra 12.7. I can see just fine behind me in the Yak.

As far as overheating its really good at cooling itself though and you can basically abuse the hell out of that engine as long as you mess with the radiators.  The water radiator is useful to slow down asan adhoc speed brake as well and its easy to remember that after 50% its sticking out in the slipstream.  I havent been able to really tell if closing the oil radiator adds any speed it doesnt seem to so I leave it open. Though sometimes I wonder if I should close it in say a stern pursuit of a bomber where bullets may fly into my engine area.  Im not sure if it would help or not (like the Il2s armored radiator)

Edited by Sublime

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Not really when compared to the Yak-1b.  Almost identical speeds at all altitudes,  exactly the same 'best turn' rate but does it at 310kph instead of 270kph.  Almost identical climb to 3000m then only 0.7m/s slower up to 6000m (and who fights a Yak that high anyway?).   The only significant differences are the canopies and the guns and, personally,   I think the guns are worth losing  the bubble canopy for as the 7bs rear view is still extremely good compared to most other VVS aircraft.  

To be clear, I meant in comparison to its contemporary foes. Climb, top speed, dive, etc. I don't have the 1b so I can't personally compare them for feel but as you say, performance is almost identical. I do agree the extra 12.7 is worth it, and the 7b already has a better rear view than the earlier yaks and the La-5 so the bubble canopy isn't much of an upgrade.

3 hours ago, Sublime said:

All day. I still want the 1b for my collection and also cuz its a bit weird not being able to fly half the planes in my squadrons (never seems to be only 7Bs) but its not a huge deal.  Like the LA5. I still want an FN but its not a huge deal for me like Bodenplatte or something..

The bubble canopy would be nice but I agree Id rather the extra 12.7. I can see just fine behind me in the Yak.

As far as overheating its really good at cooling itself though and you can basically abuse the hell out of that engine as long as you mess with the radiators.  The water radiator is useful to slow down asan adhoc speed brake as well and its easy to remember that after 50% its sticking out in the slipstream.  I havent been able to really tell if closing the oil radiator adds any speed it doesnt seem to so I leave it open. Though sometimes I wonder if I should close it in say a stern pursuit of a bomber where bullets may fly into my engine area.  Im not sure if it would help or not (like the Il2s armored radiator)

Nows the time to get thouse la5fns and yak1bs, itz z sale time 50% off, they are practicly giving them away!

Oh shoot theyre on sale huh?? Damn I wish I had another job now. Hopefully I can come up with some $ tomorrow

54 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

Nows the time to get thouse la5fns and yak1bs, itz z sale time 50% off, they are practicly giving them away!

Wow yeah.  Damn.  Well theyll be on sale some other time Im sure

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

Oh shoot theyre on sale huh?? Damn I wish I had another job now. Hopefully I can come up with some $ tomorrow

Wow yeah.  Damn.  Well theyll be on sale some other time Im sure

Just save up and wait like everybody else does. There is no need to rush as there will be other sales, I'm sure!

Regards

Exactly.  Plus I already have the 7b and la5.  Honestly the more I check the more Id rather save for Bodenplatte but get the FN.  The FN is enough of a difference IMO but the Yak1B is so similar to the 7B

6 hours ago, Sublime said:

Exactly.  Plus I already have the 7b and la5.  Honestly the more I check the more Id rather save for Bodenplatte but get the FN.  The FN is enough of a difference IMO but the Yak1B is so similar to the 7B

As the other folks say, there will always be other sales. That said, if you love flying Yaks then the Yak-1B Series 127 is currently the sweetest ride that we have available and you'd probably enjoy flying it quite a lot. It isn't much different from the 7B but there are subtle differences and the rear view is outstanding. No need to rush out but you may still want it in your hangar some day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmm really? Because the performance is almost identical.  It seems besides the bubble canopy its not as big a difference as say the La5FN. Id like to hear what is diff about the 1b though besides the canopy, and one less 12.7mm

1 hour ago, Sublime said:

Hmm really? Because the performance is almost identical.  It seems besides the bubble canopy its not as big a difference as say the La5FN. Id like to hear what is diff about the 1b though besides the canopy, and one less 12.7mm

By the numbers the performance stats are pretty much identical. And you can hop in a Yak-1B and back to a 7B and not have to relearn very much. But there are subtle differences between the two and the handling on the Yak-1B is better. Roughly 120kg of weight difference at normal weight is going to be felt and the Yak-1B is sharper and responds more quickly. Subtle differences to be sure.

I like flying both and earlier today I was flying the 7B on the KOTA server but my favourite is the 1B.

The La-5FN offers a far greater performance difference over the La-5. Both feel similar at first but the numbers it can achieve are undeniably higher.

• Thanks 1

Well Im torn...  Ive gotten 3 kills online so far. Though 2 in the last day as Im getting better faster.. 2 in a 109.  However my one fighter kill was a Yak 7B.. Cementing my love affair :)

Oof. Its like a new girl game to school. My crush isnt as beautiful. I got exposed to a lot of late war planes in combat box and WOW. And wow mann ouutclasssed.. Waaaa whered everyone on WoL go?!

Lotsa La5FNs too which are shockingly faster than ALL other contemporary Soviet aircraft. I really thought the La5F was close but no not even when I saw one in action tonight..

So any good tactics for the 7B for late war? I get jumped if I fly lower like below cloud level everytime.  Sigh. A 110 gunner shredded me from.1km away

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

So any good tactics for the 7B for late war? I get jumped if I fly lower like below cloud level everytime.  Sigh. A 110 gunner shredded me from.1km away

Depending on how thick the cloud cover is, if you skim just above or just below, then if you get jumped you can duck into the clouds, make a few turns, then dive out in the opposite direction you were going to lose pursuit. 

Other than that, the Yak-7B likes medium speeds for maximum maneuverability, which is your only real advantage over your enemies. Get too slow, and the 109s slats give it a slow speed advantage. Against 109s stay out of extended rolling or vertical scissors unless you have a lot more speed and energy than him, they climb better and accelerate better so they will quickly gain an energy advantage on you. Against 190s, their high speed maneuvering is great but at low speed they're sluggish - once again, drag them into a slower-speed turnfight and you can win, even against the late war fighters. It doesn't matter if their top speed is 600 km/h if they're turning hard on the deck at 300 km/h. 

Against human players there are psychological factors.. Most players who fly fighters are pitbulls, once they attack they don't want to let go. They  want to get that kill, and they'll take risks to get it. The longer you keep them turning and fighting with you the more likely they are to make a mistake. Most of my engagements online I'm the one getting bounced by a higher energy opponent. Often, if I survive the first couple passes from the enemy and they don't disengage, I can drag them into a long, low knife fight that equalizes things and leaves them open to attack from friendly fighters coming to assist.

• Upvote 1

The last paragraph @RedKestrel.  Thats it right there. Ive noticex this especially even in myself and yes it does work online - especially being chased.  You can get people to make terrible mistakes after a couple minutes of frustration.  Or even a mission kill wasting their ammo.

As for the scissors youre right the one dogfight I got into I scored hits on (but got shot down) with a 109K we were doing horizontal scissors on our sides if you will, weaving back and forth with eachother taking snap shots trying to make the other over shoot.  Neiither if us did - but a snapshot blew my engine up and I had it anyways then :)