Sign in to follow this  
ECV56_Lubermatz

DCS official: Upcoming improvement on VR performance by 50

Just found this thread on DCS community. Sounds great. Hope some day IL2 devs give us some optimisation aswell, since we all know there is no way back to flat screens once entered VR.

Hey everyone,

Earlier we mentioned that we have been working on DCS VR optimization. I have good news today! After much investigation and work, we traced the issue back to the terrain engine. We have since adjusted the terrain engine, and this has resulted in a 50% increase in VR performance! We will continue to test and optimize this further, but we hope to have this great improvement to you soon.

Thanks

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?s=3c4f7af1298d805ff4f9cf14f9ce7ed9&p=3869786&postcount=2333

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hopefully Jason will realize that many people does not have a 1080ti/2080/2080ti and is not jumping into VR or buying the sim because of  this.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Hopefully Jason will realize that many people does not have a 1080ti/2080/2080ti and is not jumping into VR or buying the sim because of  this.

The game runs pretty good on the balanced preset, the clouds look like trash though and all that needs to be done is unlink cloud setting from preset.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Also Nvidia does have lots of tools that can improve VR and it is not only SLI for VR. 

https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks

Lets hope some 1C engineer wil pick up this Nvidia improvement tools, one day, incl the SLI for VR.

Edited by Dutch2
  • Like 1

I thought Nvidia had dropped support for SLI with their new cards???

Would be happy just to have Fixed Foreated Rendering working in Il2.  Well that and also no longer requiring Parallel Projections Compatibility with the Pimax Headset.  Talking of which, we recon Jason and PimaxUSA should have a little chat and bang heads together for something special at the Flight Sim Expo. 👍

8 hours ago, blitze said:

I thought Nvidia had dropped support for SLI with their new cards???

No, only the mid range and low budget like the GTX1060 can not handle SLI, but these low/mid Vcards are not usable for BoX-VR. Keep also in your mind SLI is for VR, complete different  and still not supported by BoX 

https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/vrsli

Same as you can read here: 

https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks

Here they claim 50% improvement using multi res shading. 

copy: NVIDIA Multi-res Shading is an innovative rendering technique for VR in which each part of an image is rendered at a resolution that better matches the final image a user sees on the headset. The technology is integrated and available today to developers in Unreal Engine with performance gains of up to 50 percent. That enables developers to put more visual quality into their VR games and experiences

OK maybe the engineers at 1C do not have that much time to spent on VR, but I still think it is worth to keep attention on a better VR performance.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

VR is going to take the place of monitors and it's not going to take long to happen. In which case the devs of all games need to get with the program before they're left behind. :)

5 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:

VR is going to take the place of monitors and it's not going to take long to happen. In which case the devs of all games need to get with the program before they're left behind. :)

meh Gotten far more kills in the last couple of days online on the flatscreen then I ever did in a VR headset.

10 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

meh Gotten far more kills in the last couple of days online on the flatscreen then I ever did in a VR headset.

Yeah but you just need to find the right headset.

1 hour ago, blitze said:

Yeah but you just need to find the right headset.

And finding the right adjustments. 

On 4/4/2019 at 3:55 PM, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Sorry man, but you can't make much money off poor people anyway. And the bottleneck is not 1080ti/2080/2080ti, but the thread-handling of the game, in its natural evolution. The engine has been made in mind with rising CPU single core speeds, and without two instances running on the same core. On 2D Monitors, it works just fine. But in IL-2's VR, CPU demand almost doubles. That's problematic.

There could be solutions to it (Nvidia's VRWorks, DX12, among the options, etc.), but it'll take quite a few manhours of coding to rewrite and adjust quite a bit. And they need to integrate BoBP and do a lot of coding for TC now. I wish there was a VR expansion.

If we'd knew how much IL-2 would need for a kickstarter to rewrite parts of the engine to modernized terms, we could start a pledge for that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2019 at 5:52 AM, bombdetere said:

so I finally broke down and got one. Have Index on pre-order, currently running VivePro.

Previous setup:

- 8700k 5.0ghz

- 3200 cas14 ram

- 1080ti, oc'ed to 2050mhz..

I had smooth fps pretty much anywhere in MP with SteamVR motion smoothing turned on. However, the settings I was using were Balanced pre-set. The SteamVR resolution I ran was 1700x1900 per eye (roughly, can't remember exact numbers). I was in 20+ ppl furballs and it was definitely playable.

Got EVGA base 2080ti ($999 on evga site). Got a water cooler block for it, another $150. Swapped the 1080ti for the new puppy.

Well.. the performance is pretty noticeable. It's hard to believe, I'm still testing. But.. now I can run High preset and the SteamVR resolution is ~2100x2200 per eye or smth like that. Smooth experience like before in the same size furballs, etc..

so, is it worth ~$1150? :)  I say hell yea. The game looks sooo much better.

I do not know if the GTX1080ti or higher is the bottleneck but if I take a look at fpsVR I do see that my GTX1080 can be a bottleneck. Keep in your mind as I do not run that high settings. We all can only guess if optimizing is that costly for 1C, I still think it is always nice to shift to an higher graphic adjustments, like @bombdetere

Edited by Dutch2

1 hour ago, Dutch2 said:

I do not know if the GTX1080ti or higher is the bottleneck but if I take a look at fpsVR I do see that my GTX1080 is, keep in your mind as I do not run that high settings. We all can only guess if optimizing is that costly for 1C, I still think it is always nice to shift to an higher graphic adjustments, like @bombdetere

Balanced preset is totally fine on its own, but in deep Fall period maps the High preset makes the colors a bit more saturated and pleasant. Always looking out for a balance obviously, but a higher preset definitely makes it for a pleasant experience.

12 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

On 2D Monitors, it works just fine. But in IL-2's VR, CPU demand almost doubles.

Same with low persistence 144 Hz monitors btw. Stable 144 Hz is needed and no asw available. Modern CPUs cannot handle this.

• Upvote 1