Combat Box by Red Flight

Alonzo

RedKestrel
12 minutes ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Wait. How the hell such a number of players can think this, when there can't be more than 2 262 in the air at the same time (may be more, but from what I see, it's very rare).

EDIT: and not on every maps

Honestly, the 262 moves around the map so fast and can get in and out of sight so quickly, that I think what is happening is a lot of players conclude that there are more jets than there actually are. You call out a 262 over target area A, and then someone else calls one out over target area b, and people think "ZOMG there are two jets!" when it is just one guy cruising faster than anyone else's top speed. 

And there are certainly people who think it shouldn't be on any maps at all, so they add to the percentage. 

Aurora_Stealth
23 minutes ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Wait. How the hell such a number of players can think this, when there can't be more than 2 262 in the air at the same time (may be more, but from what I see, it's very rare).

EDIT: and not on every maps

Psychology - that's how. Its not the numbers of them in the air or even the number of aircraft hit or shotdown by them.. its just knowing or hearing on the server that a Me262 is active and in the air that makes or breaks some people's morale, when half the time they won't encounter them.

In other words, people feel extremely vulnerable to them (loss of control) because they either won't see it coming or won't be able to react in time and because of its sheer speed - it will be able to quickly approach their backyard and do damage without much warning.. and even... yes... disturb people's routines. Shocking stuff.

I see. People in general tend to react on feelings and emotional statements than on factual datas and objectives statements. 

However, IMO, the number of 262 available (and the conditions of this availability) is nicely balanced to avoid reds being pissed off by jets, and the possibility to have an opportunity (very rare though) to fly it. 

Black-Witch
1 hour ago, JG300_Faucon said:

I see. People in general tend to react on feelings and emotional statements than on factual datas and objectives statements. 

However, IMO, the number of 262 available (and the conditions of this availability) is nicely balanced to avoid reds being pissed off by jets, and the possibility to have an opportunity (very rare though) to fly it. 

And to shoot them down :)

Couple of updates.

First, we're running our annual pilot survey for a couple more days. If you'd like to participate please visit http://survey.combatbox.net/

Second, we've updated our various idle timeouts and I wanted to post them in one spot so everyone knows what they are. Some squadrons have had difficulty forming up and spawning planes at the start of a map, we hope these changes will improve things:

• Ping limit is 320ms round trip, averaged over one minute. If you're getting ping kicked you're also likely bouncing around the screen for everyone else. Our current limit supports players in the Australian bush on 4G modems, so we think it's good enough for most folks.
  • In-game AFK kick is 6 minutes (once spawned in a plane). This is enough time to start the engines on a 262. Remember if you're doing repair/refuel/rearm the timer starts once you stop moving, so don't hang around. Shut down engines, repair/refuel, then get started again. If you are in-game and waiting for friends, just roll your wheels every few minutes and you won't be AFK. This is the best way to wait for friends.
  • Idle spectator kick is 5 minutes. This is idle time when you are on the map screen and not spawned into a plane. We know that when the map rolls there can be a big rush to get into airplanes, not enough space on the spawn points, etc. Some players also want to wait for squad mates before spawning. For this reason, spectator kick is disabled for the first 30 minutes of a map. We hope this is enough time for players to get in, get past the crush of other pilots, and get spawned. If you're worried about being spectator kicked, just spawn a plane and then roll your wheels every few minutes while you wait for your squad mates. Spectator kick is also disabled when there are less than 70 players online, since there's no point kicking people if there is plenty of room on the server.

I know that being idle kicked is annoying when the server is full and you can't get back in. But we need to cycle people who are truly idle to free up spots for other pilots. I hope this setup is a fair compromise.

• Upvote 5

Bilbo_Baggins
3 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

You call out a 262 over target area A, and then someone else calls one out over target area b, and people think "ZOMG there are two jets!" when it is just one guy cruising faster than anyone else's top speed. 

And there are certainly people who think it shouldn't be on any maps at all, so they add to the percentage. 

This is just pettiness from the reds. Typical. 

Yet the petty reds will never admit to how vulnerable the jet is on it's long climb-out from base! Fancy that.  

4 minutes ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Yet the petty reds will never admit to how vulnerable the jet is on it's long climb-out from base! Fancy that.  

How to ruin the point you are trying to make and sound like a jerk 101.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

-SF-Disarray

Has someone tried to rearm a bomber with these idle kick times? The last time I tried to reload a bomber was on Knights and it seems to me that it took longer than 6 minutes. It was some time ago that I did that, so I may not be remembering it properly.

20 minutes ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Most of our jet bases are pretty far back as our experience is that this isn't an issue in MP gameplay. Players accelerate to high speed in a straight line on the deck then zoom climb at the edges of the active area before coming into any sort of crowded airspace with plenty of speed and energy. Closer bases just encourage more 262s to fly to Red bases and vulch which is against server rules.

As long as I keep having to do this over friendly airfields, you can expect 262s to be very limited.

unknown.png

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, -SF-Disarray said:

Has someone tried to rearm a bomber with these idle kick times? The last time I tried to reload a bomber was on Knights and it seems to me that it took longer than 6 minutes. It was some time ago that I did that, so I may not be remembering it properly.

We've definitely tested the P-38. I wouldn't try it in a 262, but everything else you should be fine.

Barnacles
15 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Most of our jet bases are pretty far back as our experience is that this isn't an issue in MP gameplay. Players accelerate to high speed in a straight line on the deck then zoom climb at the edges of the active area before coming into any sort of crowded airspace with plenty of speed and energy. Closer bases just encourage more 262s to fly to Red bases and vulch which is against server rules.

As long as I keep having to do this over friendly airfields, you can expect 262s to be very limited.

unknown.png

POW! Right in the kisser!

8 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

unknown.png

^^ This. 100 times this. Players can make any arguments they want about "airfields shouldn't be safe" and "flak should be more effective" but our position is that being vulched is anti-fun and not realistic. Airfield raids were very dangerous, you expected to lose a third of the pilots. Single aircraft sauntering over to an enemy base to harass people on takeoff or landing just didn't happen.

And it's not just random low-skill scrubs doing this kind of thing. Experienced, skilled pilots are waiting for a 262 to open up, then grabbing it and going vulching. Maybe that only happens once a week but it happens. Sigh.

Barnacles
4 minutes ago, Alonzo said:
  • ^^ This. 100 times this. Players can make any arguments they want about "airfields shouldn't be safe" and "flak should be more effective" but our position is that being vulched is anti-fun and not realistic. Airfield raids were very dangerous, you expected to lose a third of the pilots. Single aircraft sauntering over to an enemy base to harass people on takeoff or landing just didn't happen.

And it's not just random low-skill scrubs doing this kind of thing. Experienced, skilled pilots are waiting for a 262 to open up, then grabbing it and going vulching. Maybe that only happens once a week but it happens. Sigh.

https://combatbox.net/en/sorties/3211/TeddyTheUnicorn/?tour=22 The paucity of 262s doesn't seem to have stopped this guy.

GG by the way Teddy(!)

• Haha 2

RedKestrel
29 minutes ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

It's not pettiness, its called the subjectiveness of the human experience- people's impression of things and there ability to objectively judge their situation is dependent on their point of view. Part of the effectiveness of the 262 is how fast it moves around and appears to be in many places at once - its massively beyond the pace of normal aircraft operations on the server.

We can see subjectivity  in action right in this very thread - you feel subjectively you are making a good argument here, but everyone else thinks you're wrong! The human mind is fascinating. 

I have serious doubts that many 262s, if any, are shot on these so-called long climbouts from base. They are certainly not any more vulnerable than propeller driven fighters on climbout. with the 30 second rule now in place you can't effectively vulch a 262 airfield since by the time they are 'legal' they are at full speed and pulling away from you.

The reverse of your assertion is absolutely true: 262s shoot fighters and fighter-bombers on climbout over their bases all the time. They are the vulcher plane par excellance because the flak mostly can't hit them.

11 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

unknown.png

I want the 262 to be available on the server just to see them get wrecked like this. You're doing the Lord's work there, Talon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Black-Witch

Well, there are some "bad" or, more likely, inexperienced, 262 drivers about, probably because they don't get much experience flying them online. I've shot 9 down online, 2 in Spitfire IX's and the rest in Tempests.

All the 262's I've seen online mostly charge around at low level, and yes, sit really close to red airfields, but they are vulnerable against high Tempests and especially near their own bases.

Witch

Edited by Black-Witch
  • Upvote 1

ACG_Talisman
3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Couple of updates.

First, we're running our annual pilot survey for a couple more days. If you'd like to participate please visit http://survey.combatbox.net/

Second, we've updated our various idle timeouts and I wanted to post them in one spot so everyone knows what they are. Some squadrons have had difficulty forming up and spawning planes at the start of a map, we hope these changes will improve things:

• Ping limit is 320ms round trip, averaged over one minute. If you're getting ping kicked you're also likely bouncing around the screen for everyone else. Our current limit supports players in the Australian bush on 4G modems, so we think it's good enough for most folks.
  • In-game AFK kick is 6 minutes (once spawned in a plane). This is enough time to start the engines on a 262. Remember if you're doing repair/refuel/rearm the timer starts once you stop moving, so don't hang around. Shut down engines, repair/refuel, then get started again. If you are in-game and waiting for friends, just roll your wheels every few minutes and you won't be AFK. This is the best way to wait for friends.
  • Idle spectator kick is 5 minutes. This is idle time when you are on the map screen and not spawned into a plane. We know that when the map rolls there can be a big rush to get into airplanes, not enough space on the spawn points, etc. Some players also want to wait for squad mates before spawning. For this reason, spectator kick is disabled for the first 30 minutes of a map. We hope this is enough time for players to get in, get past the crush of other pilots, and get spawned. If you're worried about being spectator kicked, just spawn a plane and then roll your wheels every few minutes while you wait for your squad mates. Spectator kick is also disabled when there are less than 70 players online, since there's no point kicking people if there is plenty of room on the server.

I know that being idle kicked is annoying when the server is full and you can't get back in. But we need to cycle people who are truly idle to free up spots for other pilots. I hope this setup is a fair compromise.

Thanks for posting.  Feedback below:

6 min in-game kick and 5 min idle kick time still too short to organise a full squadron of 12 to 14 pilots for repeated operational sorties together and is one of the main reasons we end up flying elsewhere.

Repair/refuel not that useful for larger squadron operations and I never use it.

Appreciated kick disabled 30 mins at start of map, but suggest this is way too long.

Suggest 15 mins for all kick times, in-game, idle spectator and then no need for start of map 30 min kick.  Keep it simple.  15 mins across the board.

Thank you for your consideration and for your work in providing a good MP server for the community.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

43 minutes ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

6 min in-game kick and 5 min idle kick time still too short to organise a full squadron of 12 to 14 pilots for repeated operational sorties together and is one of the main reasons we end up flying elsewhere.

Can you explain this a little more for me? These two timers are where a player is either spawned in a plane and not moving their wheels, or connected to the server but have not spawned a plane. Why does someone need to be able to look at the map screen for more than 5 minutes? Or sit in a plane without moving for more than 6?

(I'm not trying to argue my point, genuinely interested in the way you're operating so I can understand why these limits won't work for you.)

For the 30 minutes at map start, this is mainly because I've been part of multi-pilot operations where the field is very popular and getting players spawned, started up and moved off parking so others can spawn simply takes a long time. It legitimately took me at least 20 minutes to get spawned in for the last Friday Night Flights and I watched the server roll (since admin 😉 ) and was one of the first to connect.

• Upvote 4

RedKestrel
25 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Can you explain this a little more for me? These two timers are where a player is either spawned in a plane and not moving their wheels, or connected to the server but have not spawned a plane. Why does someone need to be able to look at the map screen for more than 5 minutes? Or sit in a plane without moving for more than 6?

(I'm not trying to argue my point, genuinely interested in the way you're operating so I can understand why these limits won't work for you.)

For the 30 minutes at map start, this is mainly because I've been part of multi-pilot operations where the field is very popular and getting players spawned, started up and moved off parking so others can spawn simply takes a long time. It legitimately took me at least 20 minutes to get spawned in for the last Friday Night Flights and I watched the server roll (since admin 😉 ) and was one of the first to connect.

I'm guessing that if one of their pilots gets shot down, rather than respawning on their own, he waits for the mission to complete and everyone to either get shot down or RTB, then they all launch together again for the next sortie. If someone gets shot down over the target or on the way, and they have to wait for the squad to reform when they get back, then you could easily be sitting on the map screen for 15 minutes waiting for people to return to launch again.

IMO with the server as packed as it is at peak times, having idle times that long is unfair to people trying to get in to play. Someone could complete a whole solo sortie in 15 minutes. 

• Upvote 3

I don't think it's fair to "solo" players to have 15 mins idle times to accommodate squads given the popularity of the server and how it can be difficult to get in at peak times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

IMO with the server as packed as it is at peak times, having idle times that long is unfair to people trying to get in to play. Someone could complete a whole solo sortie in 15 minutes.

And you know what? If it's really so important to stay connected, just spawn in something plentiful and taxi around a bit every 5 minutes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Talon_ said:

And you know what? If it's really so important to stay connected, just spawn in something plentiful and taxi around a bit every 5 minutes.

or do something useful and go defend an objective for 15/20mins till all your boys are back ready for next sortie?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tipsi said:

or do something useful and go defend an objective for 15/20mins till all your boys are back ready for next sortie?

Quite. Spitfires can climb to 15,000ft in under 5 minutes. No excuse!

• Like 1

For reference, our ban hammer has kicked 7,257 idle spectators since we implemented it on Feb 5th, and over this past weekend (our busiest time) kicked 321 idle spectators to make room for players who wanted to fly. That's excluding the in-game AFK timer which will have made even more room.

One note, though: the script only checks player status every 60 seconds. So if you spawn a plane to avoid being spectator kicked, but despawn before the script notices you're in the plane, you might still get kicked. Best is to assume that you've got enough idle time on the map screen to grab a drink or take a bio break, and enough idle time while the engine is starting up to do the other.

• Upvote 1

Barnacles
19 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Thanks for posting.  Feedback below:

Repair/refuel not that useful for larger squadron operations and I never use it.

Appreciated kick disabled 30 mins at start of map, but suggest this is way too long.

Suggest 15 mins for all kick times, in-game, idle spectator and then no need for start of map 30 min kick.  Keep it simple.  15 mins across the board.

Thank you for your consideration and for your work in providing a good MP server for the community.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

I genuinely want to help, because I think it adds value to the server to have small-medium sized squadrons of planes acting together, rather than 84 lone wolves.

But, I think without compromising or streamlining the briefings it's not going to work together with the kick timers, especially mid mission.

However, I think there are a lot of opportunity to streamline your MO so you can achieve what you want to achieve within the constraints of the server, illustrated by the following points..

1. It's better to ask your pilots to get into the habit of using their initiative a bit; Stop spoon feeding every facet of a convoluted plan and delegate the details to the element commanders to be sorted out en route to the objective. K.I.S.S. This will massively reduce the length and quantity of briefs required to operate effectively.

2. Loadouts, plane allocations and other details which are capable of being planned in advance can be promulgated before hand using emails/discord etc. This will save time so you don't have to waffle on when everyone's trying to start their planes, avoid being kicked.

3. https://combatbox.net/en/ shows the next 2 maps, and when they're due to start. This means, you give everyone some timings and you can have everyone briefed and ready in time for the start of a fresh map. Being kicked isn't a problem because you can take off A.S.A.P and orbit your base until everyone's in, because they can concentrate 100% on that because you've already told them everything.

4.When you're mid mission, promulgate a time when people need to be spawned in ready to go. In the meanwhile, everyone who's waiting should just do CAP of a base. (they may bag a pesky vulcher.) They will need to keep an eye on their clock to ensure they land and make themselves .ready to go at the allotted time. The brief because of points 1-3 can be a bit quicker, so folk won't get kicked.

You'll naturally be weary of changing your methods, as people don't like change, and inevitably you were doing stuff for a reason, but with a bit of flexibility, effort and pragmatism; I think you can have your cake and eat it when it comes to your operations on the server.

Of course you might be doing all of this, so forgive me for trying to teach you to suck eggs if that's so.

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

StaB/Tomio_VR***
21 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

I have serious doubts that many 262s, if any, are shot on these so-called long climbouts from base. They are certainly not any more vulnerable than propeller driven fighters on climbout. with the 30 second rule now in place you can't effectively vulch a 262 airfield since by the time they are 'legal' they are at full speed and pulling away from you.

First it takes far more than 30 seconds to get full speed for a 262...

Second, the 262 is not concerned by the 30 seconds rule. It can be attacked even on the ground.

The best way IRL to shoot them down was always after taking off and before landing. It is the same here but hunting a maximum of 2 jets taking off every hour is not the most exciting

40% of players thinks there is too much 262 ?

Well, this is no surprise as 50% of players are reds (even slightly more).

On the axis side, most of pilots doesn't fly the 262 so they don't care having more or not.

A minority of blue pilots fly it online because it is available almost nowhere. This is a vicious circle.

Germans has only different 3 fighters in this game (109 & 190 & 262) and players wants to almost delete one, amazing !

Honestly, what the axis has too much is not the 262 but K4 with DC engine and 30mm cannon on other planes...

I suggested to have them as fighter-bomber only.

Have a look talon but if i can select bombs and 2 canons in game, you can do it as well in Mission Editor.

Another way could be to reduce fuel for them to 50% (war end shortages) so you won't see them near red airfields because it would be too far to then come back.

I'm not sure however if this is possible while letting other planes choosing their amount of fuel 😕

• Like 1

• SYN_Haashashin pinned this topic
16 minutes ago, StaB./Tomio_VR*** said:

Germans has only different 3 fighters in this game (109 & 190 & 262) and players wants to almost delete one, amazing !

That's not a valid point, surely a 109 E-7 and a 109 G-14 are quite different, same for 190 A-3 and D-9.

RedKestrel
20 minutes ago, StaB./Tomio_VR*** said:

Second, the 262 is not concerned by the 30 seconds rule. It can be attacked even on the ground.

😕

As far as I'm aware, vulching is not allowed anywhere, including 262 airfields. I think Talon even said as much not too long ago in this thread.

Anyway, if the 262 is being frequently vulched on climbout, then surely someone has a few recent mission logs where this occurred, right? All I see for 262 mission logs is really high survival and kill rates compared to most other fighters.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

As far as I'm aware, vulching is not allowed anywhere, including 262 airfields. I think Talon even said as much not too long ago in this thread.

He may be referring to a mission that was tested a few weeks back where red could attack 1 spawn airfield. IIRC it's been taken off the rotation.

ACG_Talisman
20 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Thank you Alonzo.  I will try and explain.

In the best case scenario, on the rare occasion the stars line up, the crystal ball works, the plan can stand and there are no problems, then might be in with a chance.  However please consider:

Planning ahead.  One cannot guarantee that any particular map will be available at a particular precise time, how much time will be left on the map, nor that planned targets are still available or that planned aircraft will be available in numbers required at bases planned to take off from.  Still, with a routine approach one can be reasonably flexible and changes can be mad to suit the prevailing circumstances once the situation on the map has been assessed.

Real time plan.  With changes to the planned mission/target considered, mission planner routes and timings, both to and from the target, can be calculated and aircraft and airfields assigned to pilots.  When not enough of a particular aircraft type are available from the same airfield then pilots cannot take of from the same airfield, so other airfields have to be searched for numbers of aircraft and alternative airfield arrangements need to be made.  Meet-up RV points then need to be arranged and fed into the overall plan together with routings.  With the changed plan/targets, optimal fuel loadouts, for fighter aircraft types and bombers, and optimum weapon loadouts may need to reconsidered accordingly.  Similarly, arrangements need to be made for the secondary target and routings home, etc.

Briefing.  Time needs to be allocated to a full briefing with all pilots ears pinned back and time for questions and to clarify full understanding. 

Communications.  TS3 channel and whisper channels need to be set up for formations and or pairs accordingly and communication checks carried out.

Gremlins.  We all get them sometimes and with a larger group flying together there is more chance that one, or more, pilots will have some sort of issue, despite checking that everything was working before spawning into the server.  So the inevitable joystick problem or TS3 problem will tend to crop up more often than not.  Then, of course, the spawn in problems can start as you have describe above Alonszo and this can be an issue not just confined to the start of a new map, believe me.  Gremlins and problems are often front and centre with rookie pilots that are being helped along by the group, though the most seasoned pilots have their troubles too.  With larger squads there are usually rookie pilots, or not very frequent flyers, as part of the group and things do not always run as smooth as for a couple of seasoned fighter jocks out on a simple mission regular run killing spree.  In short, trying to organise and lead larger numbers of PC pilots in a professional manner under an artificial time constraint designed to kick lazy or unreasonable players is a lot harder than one might imagine.  

Further sorties.  Further sorties together as a group are often not possible due to pilots returning to base at different times for whatever reason, since if they wait about they are kicked.  Some might say fly while waiting, but for a pilot to fly with no wingman is not a good idea and aircraft types can then be cheaply lost.  If two fly together to fill time then they are talking over TS3 interfering with communications for the original mission still in progress.  Some might say spawn in and taxi around, but that still risks an aircraft to accident and do we really want mature folks taxiing round and round the airfield to mitigate against a rule introduced for lazy or unreasonable players?  Then, to make the most of time for planning the next mission, landing times from the previous mission have to try and be coordinated so that a pilots are then back in the map room for the optimum amount of time for another plan and a briefing to be put together and delivered to go again.

I have given my feedback in good faith and expect the CB admins to take it or leave it.  Either way is OK by me, as I am grateful that folks like the CB admins are prepared to provide the server in the first place.  I have given my honest opinion and can only say that some relief was expressed on our squad TS the other evening when flying a different server, that we were not flying under the stress of the CB kick timings.

If you cannot accommodate the suggested 15 minutes then so be it.  As with all things in the server, it is entirely up to the administration team and I fully accept that without complaint.  I hope you have found this feedback reasonable and constructive, even though it might not fit in with your MP model.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman 

Edited by 56RAF_Talisman

Barnacles
1 hour ago, StaB./Tomio_VR*** said:

First it takes far more than 30 seconds to get full speed for a 262...

The best way IRL to shoot them down was always after taking off and before landing. It is the same here but hunting a maximum of 2 jets taking off every hour is not the most exciting

40% of players thinks there is too much 262 ?

Well, this is no surprise as 50% of players are reds (even slightly more).

On the axis side, most of pilots doesn't fly the 262 so they don't care having more or not.

A minority of blue pilots fly it online because it is available almost nowhere. This is a vicious circle.

Honestly, what the axis has too much is not the 262 but K4 with DC engine and 30mm cannon on other planes...

I suggested to have them as fighter-bomber only.

Have a look talon but if i can select bombs and 2 canons in game, you can do it as well in Mission Editor.

Another way could be to reduce fuel for them to 50% (war end shortages) so you won't see them near red airfields because it would be too far to then come back.

I'm not sure however if this is possible while letting other planes choosing their amount of fuel 😕

It's a great pity they can't be forced to have bombs and do ground attack.

I tried a bomb sortie in a 262 and although you're significantly faster still, you have to be exponentially more aware of your surroundings, making it a lot more challenging. Even after the bombs are gone, there's still a significant speed penalty.

It makes the plane a fair bit more balanced.

It is a shame because in the real theatre there was a 262 bomber unit.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

I have given my feedback in good faith and expect the CB admins to take it or leave it.  Either way is OK by me, as I am grateful that folks like the CB admins are prepared to provide the server in the first place.  I have given my honest opinion and can only say that some relief was expressed on our squad TS the other evening when flying a different server, that we were not flying under the stress of the CB kick timings.

If you cannot accommodate the suggested 15 minutes then so be it.  As with all things in the server, it is entirely up to the administration team and I fully accept that without complaint.  I hope you have found this feedback reasonable and constructive, even though it might not fit in with your MP model.

Totally reasonable feedback and I thank you for expanding on your position. Whilst I can see the argument for extending the timers, the problem is there's no way to tell the difference between a well-intentioned player who is waiting for their squad, a well-intentioned player who got a phone call and couldn't come back to the computer, or someone who has no particular intentions one way or another but just got distracted and forgot they were logged in.

I still think our current limits are reasonable. If it's the first 30 minutes of a map, or if we have < 70 players, no spectator kicks will happen. If it's a full server and well into the mission, the timers are 5 minutes idle spectator and 6 minutes AFK. I believe a player who is paying attention will not succumb to those timers, even if it means they need to spawn, taxi to an unused part of the airfield, and either despawn and wait on the map screen for another 5 minutes or just roll their wheels every now and then.

• Like 1

II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson
1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

Totally reasonable feedback and I thank you for expanding on your position. Whilst I can see the argument for extending the timers, the problem is there's no way to tell the difference between a well-intentioned player who is waiting for their squad, a well-intentioned player who got a phone call and couldn't come back to the computer, or someone who has no particular intentions one way or another but just got distracted and forgot they were logged in.

I still think our current limits are reasonable. If it's the first 30 minutes of a map, or if we have < 70 players, no spectator kicks will happen. If it's a full server and well into the mission, the timers are 5 minutes idle spectator and 6 minutes AFK. I believe a player who is paying attention will not succumb to those timers, even if it means they need to spawn, taxi to an unused part of the airfield, and either despawn and wait on the map screen for another 5 minutes or just roll their wheels every now and then.

Just hold right brake and spool up and do infinite donuts till your squad is ready to take off. I'm sure that will stop the timer from starting 😂😂😂

I was having a discussion with an American fellow late last night who had a passion for spreading FAKE NEWS.

He was explaining that spotting is “easier” on other servers like WoL. He also went on to say that this is because Combat Box admins have “adjusted settings so it’s easier for the admins to see, and harder everyone else”.

To my amazement, people in the channel were in agreement or susceptible to the ideas above.

He clearly has no idea how servers work, clientside/server side setting etc. 

Please can someone educate him how he is talking complete nonsense. Or at lease confirm that Combat Box has stock “out of the box” visibility settings, not some ad hoc system.

I was so angry! Haha

Edited by Tipsi
  • Haha 3

VBF-12_Stick-95

Tipsi, did he also explain that in order for anyone to also see as the admins they should press LCtrl+E?   If it comes up again you could suggest this.  😉

Edited by VBF-12_Stick-95
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

Barnacles
1 hour ago, Tipsi said:

I was having a discussion with an American fellow late last night who had a passion for spreading FAKE NEWS.

He was explaining that spotting is “easier” on other servers like WoL. He also went on to say that this is because Combat Box admins have “adjusted settings so it’s easier for the admins to see, and harder everyone else”.

To my amazement, people in the channel were in agreement or susceptible to the ideas above.

Please can someone educate him how he is talking complete nonsense. Or at lease confirm that Combat Box has stock “out of the box” visibility settings, not some ad hoc system.

I was so angry! Haha

Combat box is run by the Illuminati. They are biased both for and against both sides simultaneously and let everyone have extra speed except you. Oh and something about chemtrails.

I feel betrayed. I'm a founder and admin and I'm not aware of this spotting perk. I'm going to have to raise the matter at our next meeting 🙄

1 hour ago, Tipsi said:

I was so angry! Haha

If this was the case I wouldn't have got shot down four bloody times last night 😒

3 hours ago, Tipsi said:

We're running the stock visibility settings. There is an "alternate viz" mode but it makes planes look like a bit too large from 40km away so we switched it off.

That said, each pilot who flies on any server is able to tweak their client settings which may improve spotting for them. There's some personal preference stuff but generally speaking using sharpening on, HDR on, Bloom off (config file tweak) and reducing gamma can help.

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Combat box is run by the Illuminati. They are biased both for and against both sides simultaneously and let everyone have extra speed except you. Oh and something about chemtrails.

1 hour ago, haluter said:

I feel betrayed. I'm a founder and admin and I'm not aware of this spotting perk. I'm going to have to raise the matter at our next meeting 🙄

1 hour ago, Talon_ said:

If this was the case I wouldn't have got shot down four bloody times last night 😒

I'm sad that I'm late to the thread and unable to provide comedic relief such as the above. I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson
4 hours ago, Tipsi said:

I was so angry! Haha

What a fool. I can spot WAY easier on Combat Box because all the allied planes are bright and shiny. I have a much harder time spotting on WoL where the Russian planes are always some kind of camo scheme.